MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Forgot to add this on here buut..
I applied for Health Policy at Yale super early (mid Nov) and didn't hear back in Mid-Feb so I emailed Yale and they said they would get back to me in a week. Two weeks went by and I emailed them again. They sent an email back telling me I needed to be more proactive about checking my spam and junk folders for correspondence and re-forwarded my rejection. I was checking my spam and junk RELIGIOUSLY and was pretty upset with the tone they used....
Anyways, if you are waiting on Yale just email them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Forgot to add this on here buut..
I applied for Health Policy at Yale super early (mid Nov) and didn't hear back in Mid-Feb so I emailed Yale and they said they would get back to me in a week. Two weeks went by and I emailed them again. They sent an email back telling me I needed to be more proactive about checking my spam and junk folders for correspondence and re-forwarded my rejection. I was checking my spam and junk RELIGIOUSLY and was pretty upset with the tone they used....
Anyways, if you are waiting on Yale just email them.
wow that's pretty upsetting. did you find the rejection letter in your junk folder? i got my yale acceptance last month but i also had to email them and ask about the status of my application beforehand. the lady that got back to me was very nice and explained everything to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone highly considering Brown? I am very torn between Brown and BU. I believe the small classes sizes and connections I could make with professors at Brown would be highly beneficial, however, I am a little nervous about job opportunities in Providence compared to Boston. There are so many organizations I want to work with that are based in Boston like Partners In Health. Also, does anyone know about the global health abroad opportunities at either school? Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the spreadsheet I have going! The rest of the schools I applied to are on there (not pictured). I was kind of general/not stringent about exact costs. Mostly tried to make this a more broad overview of each school. Would also love a itemized breakdown of costs though! I've made more specific ones for each curriculum and may just go ahead do ones for costs since these spreadsheets soothe me.......o_O I can make this a shareable link if you want the template
This spreadsheet is awesome. Thank you for sharing! I feel like I should have made one at the start of this entire process. Now, I’m basically decided on which school I want to go to! But it could help with planning our cost of living :claps: is there any way that we could see your entire document? No pressure!

Reactions: 1 users
wow that's pretty upsetting. did you find the rejection letter in your junk folder? i got my yale acceptance last month but i also had to email them and ask about the status of my application beforehand. the lady that got back to me was very nice and explained everything to me.
No actually.. I checked them all thoroughly and I didn't receive any correspondence from Yale during those 2 weeks. It's probably a glitch on their end but it sucked that they just blamed me.

Reactions: 2 users
This spreadsheet is awesome. Thank you for sharing! I feel like I should have made one at the start of this entire process. Now, I’m basically decided on which school I want to go to! But it could help with planning our cost of living :claps: is there any way that we could see your entire document? No pressure!
Yeah! Here is the link

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to let everyone know that I was successful in getting a deposit deadline extension from Umich and UNC. I asked for a one week extension (due to personal reasons) and they were both very nice and said yes. In the email to the program managers, I just said that I am honored to have been admitted, but I need one more week to make a decision and that this university is one of my top choices.

Last edited:
Any news on yale?
Called over 2 weeks ago they said notifications would be sent out in a week. Called them Friday and they said another 7-10 days. I’m getting tired of waiting.

Just got in today!

I am in an odd situation and I don’t know what to do.
My first choice PhD program (JHU) rejected me, but accepted me into their master’s program.
My second choice PhD program (rather not say, very small admitted cohort) admitted me, but hasn’t promised me full funding.
What is more strategic?
1) Trying to secure funding for my first-choice school, and hope that I can transfer into their PhD later?
2) Reaching out to professors at my second-choice school in search of an RA/TA position?

My first choice PhD program (JHU) rejected me, but accepted me into their master’s program.
My second choice PhD program (rather not say, very small admitted cohort) admitted me, but hasn’t promised me full funding.
What is more strategic?
1) Trying to secure funding for my first-choice school, and hope that I can transfer into their PhD later?
2) Reaching out to professors at my second-choice school in search of an RA/TA position?
If I were in your position, I would try to see how much funding you could get from the PhD that did accept you. If you don’t think you’ll be able to find this info out before the April 15 deadline, then go ahead and ask for an extension from them and see what they say (I was successful in getting one from UNC and UMich). Even though JHU is a really great place, I would hate to have to apply again and go through this whole damn process again just a year down the line to be able to go to the PhD. I was dead set on going to JHU or UMich for my Master’s degree after I was accepted to both, but then I got into the PhD at UNC and it was a no-brainer. It’s much more common for there to be funding for PhD students compared to Master’s students and if you’re already in a PhD program, it’s much easier to develop connections and you never have to do this application process again and don’t have to deal with the uncertainty of where you’ll go for a PhD. I feel that already being there really allows the time to curate meaningful academic and professional relationships. However, if you really love JHU and feel that it’ll give you a far better education than the other place and that you’ll be able to get into a PhD of your choice no problem after your Master’s, then maybe it would be worth it for you. If I hadn’t been admitted to such a good program at UNC and would’ve been admitted to a worse program, then I would’ve probably gone to a better Master’s program instead.

Did all of the charts, informational interviews, cost comparisons, and I still can’t decide on a school. Never in my life have I wanted a crystal ball or some other future-reading device with as much fervor as I do now.

Reactions: 15 users
Did all of the charts, informational interviews, cost comparisons, and I still can’t decide on a school. Never in my life have I wanted a crystal ball or some other future-reading device with as much fervor as I do now.
If you’re capable and willing, could you please share your charts and cost comparisons for the schools you looked at? I know that it’s possible that your schools won’t match up with mine or others, but I’m having trouble deciding and would love the insight of others. Thank you and no pressure at all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else considering the cost of moving + buying all new stuff? I’ll be moving across the country with either program I choose, so I’ll be driving there in my small car and will leave behind almost everything. I estimate that my trip will cost around $900 (gas+hotels+food for 4 days of driving) and then buying all new furniture, supplies, etc. will be at least a few thousand up front...Has anyone else considered this or have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Still waiting on financial aid from GW and UNC, which is stressing me out. No word on a decision from Emory or Columbia. To add to the stress, I am reconsidering pursuing a medical degree even though I am a last semester senior with admissions to public health schools. WHAT IS LIFE?

Is anyone else considering the cost of moving + buying all new stuff? I’ll be moving across the country with either program I choose, so I’ll be driving there in my small car and will leave behind almost everything. I estimate that my trip will cost around $900 and then buying all new furniture, supplies, etc. will be at least a few thousand up front...Has anyone else considered this or have any thoughts on this?
I am considering Emory and found that there are some furnished apartments around the campus. I haven't thought about how their prices measure up to unfurnished apartments but at least it'll save me the headache of furniture shopping and all of that!

What is more strategic?

I would get all information you can from the PhD program who admitted you about funding. Reach out to professors like you said, and also see if they can put you in touch with current students so you can ask them questions about how they are funding their degree. From my perspective, it doesn't make sense to enter a PhD program without guaranteed full funding UNLESS nearly all students end up with full funding through RA/TA/their own research grants/whatever and can explain how that works to you. It's a long and very expensive road without substantial financial support.

I am not very familiar with JHU, but I know that they have extremely competitive PhD admissions. Do you know if people frequently get into their PhD programs from their masters programs? I don't think that happens frequently at many schools (except those with direct-to-PhD programs like UNC). But if they're offering you funding for a master's, then going to JHU will certainly make you more competitive for fully funded programs in the next application cycle.

I would get all information you can from the PhD program who admitted you about funding. Reach out to professors like you said, and also see if they can put you in touch with current students so you can ask them questions about how they are funding their degree. From my perspective, it doesn't make sense to enter a PhD program without guaranteed full funding UNLESS nearly all students end up with full funding through RA/TA/their own research grants/whatever and can explain how that works to you. It's a long and very expensive road without substantial financial support.

I am not very familiar with JHU, but I know that they have extremely competitive PhD admissions. Do you know if people frequently get into their PhD programs from their masters programs? I don't think that happens frequently at many schools (except those with direct-to-PhD programs like UNC). But if they're offering you funding for a master's, then going to JHU will certainly make you more competitive for fully funded programs in the next application cycle.

Yes, you accurately reflected my feelings haha. However, my anxiety comes from not knowing what I should do in enough time. Should I drop all my MPH admissions and focus on getting my prereqs for med school later (possibly getting the MPH while in med school)? Or should I go to the public health school of my dreams and figure out the med stuff later on, thus prolonging my entry into any med program? Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Yes, you reflected my feelings. However, I think my anxiety is coming from wanting both an MPH AND and MD and which one I should pursue first. Should I reject my acceptances and just do a post-bacc to get into med school, then an MPH while I'm in med school

Yes, you accurately reflected my feelings haha. However, my anxiety comes from not knowing what I should do in enough time. Should I drop all my MPH admissions and focus on getting my prereqs for med school later (possibly getting the MPH while in med school)? Or should I go to the public health school of my dreams and figure out the med stuff later on, thus prolonging my entry into any med program? Decisions, decisions...

I heard you can apply to MD/MPH programs and some of them will pay the MPH tuition. If your goal is to become a medical doctor I think that will save you more time than doing MPH now and applying to medical schools again

Yes, you reflected my feelings. However, I think my anxiety is coming from wanting both an MPH AND and MD and which one I should pursue first. Should I reject my acceptances and just do a post-bacc to get into med school, then an MPH while I'm in med school

If you’re very loan averse and are 100% sure you want to be a physician, it would be cheaper to just do a post bac and then do an MPH after your MD. I think some preventive medicine programs pay for your MPH. You can also defer MPH matriculation by 1 year and use that year to do an SMP/post bac. I know it’s easy to feel “old” or like times running out even in your early 20s, but know there are plenty of medical students who matriculate in their late 20s.

Reactions: 4 users
YES PLEASE. This process is so exhausting. I find myself thinking about it at least 90% of the time, if not more. I'm also super worried about second guessing myself once I do pick one!

Just got my email to Columbia - I'm in for their HPM program :)
Check your inboxes for anyone waiting!

I heard you can apply to MD/MPH programs and some of them will pay the MPH tuition. If your goal is to become a medical doctor I think that will save you more time than doing MPH now and applying to medical schools again
If you’re very loan averse and are 100% sure you want to be a physician, it would be cheaper to just do a post bac and then do an MPH after your MD. I think some preventive medicine programs pay for your MPH. You can also defer MPH matriculation by 1 year and use that year to do an SMP/post bac. I know it’s easy to feel “old” or like times running out even in your early 20s, but know there are plenty of medical students who matriculate in their late 20s.

Thank you for your input. I know that is the smarter decision. At the same time, it seems crazy because I been obsessing about getting my MPH for a while now and an MPH would be a great back up assuming I don't get into medical school. I know I have so much to think about and sound like a mess. Hopefully, I figure things out soon. I'll keep everyone posted.

BTW: I just got waitlisted at Columbia HPM which makes sense since I submitted my application 2 minutes to the deadline haha.

Is anyone else considering the cost of moving + buying all new stuff? I’ll be moving across the country with either program I choose, so I’ll be driving there in my small car and will leave behind almost everything. I estimate that my trip will cost around $900 (gas+hotels+food for 4 days of driving) and then buying all new furniture, supplies, etc. will be at least a few thousand up front...Has anyone else considered this or have any thoughts on this?
I would see if any of the programs you are considering offer graduate dorms or apartments. Some that I looked into in the past provided basic furniture, like a dresser, bedframe/mattress, desk, and some other things thrown in there. Additionally, you could reach out to graduating students from the program you choose. Many of them are moving far away, and will not want to take their furniture with them and will be willing to leave their furniture in their apartments for a good deal if you move in with their roommates. This seems to happen pretty frequently...I definitely saw many offers along these lines in accepted students Facebook groups I was part of in the past. This helps cut down on furniture expenses. I'm sure you can also find some furnished apartments around, but you would have to weigh out those costs.

Just got waitlisted at Columbia! Honestly a DREAM with my low GPA and above average GRE scores. Reposting my stats for anyone that needs some encouragement to apply! I'm still so stoked about getting into UCLA for HPM.

Hey guys I've been lurking here for a while and I think it would be good to throw out my stats just to see what y'all think

Undergrad School: UC Davis

Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 2.9/3.3
Major/Minor: Global Disease Biology (B.S.) (emphasis in PH policy)
GradGPA
(if applicable):
Grad Studies (if applicable):I took several public health classes for the MPH at Davis as an undergrad and received an A in all 4 of them.
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable):
158Q 159V 4.5AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- currently working for a pretty large health journalism site and I manage and create a portion of the chronic disease content
- also currently working as a public health intern for a health management/ data analysis firm that does work for the state health departments, relating specifically to mental health
- published in two public health papers
- senior thesis topic was soda/sugary drink taxes and health disparities relating to them
- 6 months health policy intern at the American Heart Association
- started up a women's health club and worked as the advocacy director
- helped create 2 month long advocacy events related to sexual health and mental health destigmatization
Special factors:
- out of state student, dependent on single mother
- worked 30 hours a week between 2-3 job at a time to support myself through college
- dealt with anxiety and depression from bereavement and other factors

I think my GPA is pretty low but I have a strong upward trend and straight A's in all public health related classes
***Please include the following whenever possible: specific concentration/track, dates, type of correspondence (phone, email, letter, etc.), scholarships/grants.***

Interested in: UC Berkeley (HSB), UCLA (Health Policy), GWU(Global Health Policy) , Colombia (Health Policy), Yale (Health Policy), UIC (HPM), SDSU (HPM)

Applied(include the date of application): getting onto that..
All programs above

Accepted: GWU Health Policy (1/16), UCLA HPM (1/29)

Rejected: Yale Health Policy (2/24), Berkeley HSB (3/7)

Waitlisted: Columbia HPM 3/13

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know anything about deferring admissions at UNC?

Last edited:
Hopkins Overall
- 800-1000 events yearly for students to attend
- 40 student organizations in school of public health
- Few restrictions on what classes you can take outside of requirements
- On the quarter system, so class load is heavy and challenging, but allows for a lot of customization
- Large online course availability to fit with your schedule & accommodate internships/practicums
- Strong commitment to engaging the Baltimore community and offer many of opportunities in the city (SOURCE)
o We had 2 Uber drivers who have lived in Baltimore for life and agreed that Hopkins has had a very positive impact on the city and community
- I was worried during the morning sessions that they were touting their prestige and connections too heavily, but when we got to the department level it became obvious how important these aspects are

Hopkins MSPH
- Students are fairly young, many are right out of undergrad
- Many students get hired on as staff afterwards to continue their work
- 244 students total with 72 new MSPH students/yr
- Many classes have 2-3 instructors and an abundance of guest speakers
- Practicums last a minimum of 4 months and most students return to do electives/certificates afterwards—but some do stay and complete courses online!
- Awards are available for during your practicum if you choose to do it internationally and many students get paid experiences
o Students did emphasize that you have to seek experiences, they are not handed to you
o However, certain organizations have positions that are only open to JH students or prefer JH students

My thoughts:
YOU GUYS. I loooooooove this program. It’s quite expensive, even with the tuition reduction (I got the vibe that there were very few/no GDEC scholarships) but the opportunities seem endless and limited only by your own motivation. The students seemed smart, energetic, and quirky—which I loved. A ton of the current students came to talk with the GDEC cohort, which really shows how much people like the program. I wasn’t sold in the morning, but by the end of the afternoon had fallen head over heels.

Also, one of the professors I talked with during social hour from a different department sent me an email saying how much she enjoyed talking with my husband and I and how she hopes we choose Hopkins—which was a very nice gesture!

Vanderbilt MPH (Epi)
- Vandy seriously has the nicest program coordinators and directors ever! Like, actually. They’re fantastic.
- Nashville is an amazing city—so many things to do and so welcoming. Living there would be a dream come true in many ways!
- I was very impressed that they arranged a personalized tour with so many events—I met with a current student, two of the main faculty members, sat in on a class, took a tour, and attended thesis presentations.
- Opportunities abound! Since the program is so small, there are tons of positions in the schools and way more jobs available than students vying for them.
- They have very strong connections with the local and state health departments and the hospital—If you want to work in one of those settings, you would have a great career trajectory here.
o Students have found jobs outside of the area but the connections aren’t as strong as within the region
- Each student gets a whole advisory team determined by them to help guide them through the program.
- Although an MD is not required, it did seem like (from the class I sat in on and my discussions) there will be a lot of medical examples used (7/10 first-year epi students have MDs)
- The classes are primarily in one room—which has free coffee, tea, and water for students! It seems very open and accessible to networking.
- There are career development sessions regularly for students to attend
- Since the public health program is so small, there aren’t really any student organizations within it but you are welcome to join ones with people from other graduate programs

My thoughts:
It seems like a great program, especially if you work best in a very hands-on environment or want to work in a medical setting/with clinical trials! They emphasize developing strong methodological skills and students seem to be quite successful. However, I wasn’t thrilled by the heavy usage of medical verbiage in examples and felt like many of the students were disengaged during class. Since I want to go more into NGO/federal govt. disease monitoring and surveillance (likely in different areas of the country), I am leaning more towards Emory or Hopkins. Definitely a very good program though!

Let me know if you want anything clarified/more information! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Interviewed with Michigan and was accepted to Yale today for Health Policy. My interviewer from Michigan said they will send out the next round of decisions within a week!

Not sure if you meant to quote me because I was replying to @Sarah_2018's situation (unfunded PhD vs. MPH), but I basically agree with what others have said. I have never been interested in med school, but I do know a bit about it because I come from a family of doctors and future-doctors and have gotten a close look at the med school application process. I don't think MPH degrees really help with getting into med school... they don't hurt, but if you need prereqs still, a post-bacc would be a better and more financially sound choice. Getting an MPH while in med school or residency is often fully funded. I would say that if you're committed to being a doctor, drop your MPH admissions and work on med school first.

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure if you meant to quote me because I was replying to @Sarah_2018's situation (unfunded PhD vs. MPH), but I basically agree with what others have said. I have never been interested in med school, but I do know a bit about it because I come from a family of doctors and future-doctors and have gotten a close look at the med school application process. I don't think MPH degrees really help with getting into med school... they don't hurt, but if you need prereqs still, a post-bacc would be a better and more financially sound choice. Getting an MPH while in med school or residency is often fully funded. I would say that if you're committed to being a doctor, drop your MPH admissions and work on med school first.
Oops didn't mean to quote you but I appreciate your insight! I understand what you are all saying. Perhaps I'll defer for a year. I really want to go to medical school and I know I'll regret not pursuing it. At the same time, I feel like such a twit for asking for recommenders for letters and getting the people around me excited about starting graduate school. I need to sort out my priorities.

What month are you all planning on moving to your respective school cities? I know that for UNC, they recommend to move in early to mid July in order to qualify for residency the following year, but I honestly want to move in late June to get accustomed and settled in and really make sure that I can get the residency. But this also seems kinda weird to move 2 months prior to classes starting... When are you all planning on moving?

What month are you all planning on moving to your respective school cities? I know that for UNC, they recommend to move in early to mid July in order to qualify for residency the following year, but I honestly want to move in late June to get accustomed and settled in and really make sure that I can get the residency. But this also seems kinda weird to move 2 months prior to classes starting... When are you all planning on moving?

Mid-July for UNC. First week of August for all other schools .I don't think its weird if you move in late June. That $16K difference makes an extra month of rent worth it. You can also use that extra time to maybe interview for part-time jobs in Chapel Hill.

Although almost made my decision to go to Michigan, I'm still waiting for Brown, and just want to get more choices before final decision. They said if I still haven't heard any decision by 15th this month, I can contact them. Now it's already 13th and should I email them now or should I wait for a another day ? (T_T)

I was going to move to Chapel Hill the first week of August but that's only because I'm trying to get a paid internship in my state. Maybe that's risky and I shouldn't work. Or maybe I'll quit early on, move mid-July, and risk messing up my reputation haha.

I was going to move to Chapel Hill the first week of August but that's only because I'm trying to get a paid internship in my state. Maybe that's risky and I shouldn't work. Or maybe I'll quit early on, move mid-July, and risk messing up my reputation haha.
I talked to the program manager for the MSPH/PHD in Epi and she was adamant about people moving in early-to-mid July in order to guarantee residency for the next year. In order to get residency, you need a drivers license, to register to vote, and live in NC for at least 12 months. In order to do all of that, one may need more time to get everything settled and get those requirements fulfilled. So, be careful!

Mid-July for UNC. First week of August for all other schools .I don't think its weird if you move in late June. That $16K difference makes an extra month of rent worth it. You can also use that extra time to maybe interview for part-time jobs in Chapel Hill.
Yeah me and my fiancé definitely want to move there at the end of June, but we’ll have to weigh the cost/benefit ratio of losing out on a month of rent on our lease or guaranteeing in-state tutition (I’m sure we’ll probably go for the latter).

Last edited:
Mid July-beginning of August, but that's when my current lease is up and I plan to only move 45 mins away from where I currently am. If you want to be qualified for in state tuition the following year, I think moving early makes sense if you have no commitments tying you down. It would give you time to look at jobs there. Or if you plan on doing research (especially microbio type stuff), one of the students at Michigan recommended getting involved in a research lab during the summer as their research takes a long time to set up. So that could be something to look into as well.

Has anyone had success with negotiating financial aid? If so, what did you say? My second choice school offered more aid than my first choice school and I'm wondering if I should ask them to match it.

Reactions: 9 users
If you’re capable and willing, could you please share your charts and cost comparisons for the schools you looked at? I know that it’s possible that your schools won’t match up with mine or others, but I’m having trouble deciding and would love the insight of others. Thank you and no pressure at all!

Of course! I actually threw out my handwritten charts and post-its because of the frustration. But here's what I remember.

I made a list and answered the following questions for both institutions. I gave each category a point-value (anywhere from 1-5), picked the winner in that category, awarded the number of points, and added them up at the end. For example, Alumni Network means a lot to me, so the winner of that category got 5 points. Undergrad rank mattered only a bit, so that category's winner got 2.

PH Program Rank
Global University Rank
Undergraduate Rank
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees with MBA
Monthly Rent/Living expenses
Class Size
Alumni Network
City/Location
Student Body Vibe During Visit
Student Body Avg Age
Internship Placements
Potential Work Opportunities
Potential Research Opportunities
Potential Volunteer Opportunities
Friends Visiting While in School
Core Program
Department
Certificate Program
Diversity
MBA Rank
MBA Focus on Social Enterprise
Nomad vs. Stable Living Situation
General Reaction by Friends/Peers/Family When Accepted into Program
Prestige in Industry

Last edited:

The weekend before I start my program. I'm getting rid of everything I own except for the essentials (because storing my World Market/inherited furniture will cost more that just buying it again when I finish). Also helps me to get one last paycheck if I wait until the last minute to finish out my job.

Last edited:

This is a very good question. I'm thinking it will be best for me to move to ATL by late June and/or early July if I decide to enroll this fall. Something that makes my circumstance a little unique from everyone else is that I have to hunt for an orthodontic office to take over my brace treatments, which can take a while because I have specific requests in regards to my braces, and it is hard to find a dentist to take over my file without removing everything I've been paying for this past year and half.

However, after seeing the financial chart @guybrush posted on Emory, I think defering for a year to save money might be more in my favor. :p Reality for me is just now beginning to set in, and I'm realizing how expensive and much of a burden grad school finances are going to be. It's funny and kind of sad how, at least for me, everything was taken care of in undergrad (undergrad financial aid was more generous, grants were readily available and given out, dorms were reasonable priced, didn't have to totally depend on loans to pay for school and living expenses, etc.). I just have to keep telling myself that everything I put into my MPH degree is an investment for my dream career...but at the same time, I don't want to be in continuous debt into retirement age. lol

I talked to the program manager for the MSPH/PHD in Epi and she was adamant about people moving in early-to-mid July in order to guarantee residency for the next year. In order to get residency, you need a drivers license, to register to vote, and live in NC for at least 12 months. In order to do all of that, one may need more time to get everything settled and get those requirements fulfilled. So, be careful!
Thanks for the heads up!

Does anyone know the chances to get an RA/TA position at JHU? Do students work part time regardless of the study load?

This is a very good question. I'm thinking it will be best for me to move to ATL by late June and/or early July if I decide to enroll this fall. Something that makes my circumstance a little unique from everyone else is that I have to hunt for an orthodontic office to take over my brace treatments, which can take a while because I have specific requests in regards to my braces, and it is hard to find a dentist to take over my file without removing everything I've been paying for this past year and half.

However, after seeing the financial chart @guybrush posted on Emory, I think defering for a year to save money might be more in my favor. :p Reality for me is just now beginning to set in, and I'm realizing how expensive and much of a burden grad school finances are going to be. It's funny and kind of sad how, at least for me, everything was taken care of in undergrad (undergrad financial aid was more generous, grants were readily available and given out, dorms were reasonable priced, didn't have to totally depend on loans to pay for school and living expenses, etc.). I just have to keep telling myself that everything I put into my MPH degree is an investment for my dream career...but at the same time, I don't want to be in continuous debt into retirement age. lol
Yeah I guess I’m just anxious and excited to move and don’t have anything tying me down here, so I’m just ready to get out and go.

Has anyone had success with negotiating financial aid? If so, what did you say? My second choice school offered more aid than my first choice school and I'm wondering if I should ask them to match it.
I am wondering too if anyone's tried this. Some of my friends are telling me to leverage schools with other scholarship offers I have received, but my friends are mostly PhD students. I just received a bunch of loans from UW and nothing yet from Columbia, so if I could leverage even one of them I would be happy.

I am wondering too if anyone's tried this. Some of my friends are telling me to leverage schools with other scholarship offers I have received, but my friends are mostly PhD students. I just received a bunch of loans from UW and nothing yet from Columbia, so if I could leverage even one of them I would be happy.
I think it really depends on the school. If I'm remembering correctly, I've seen around here that you're very unlikely to get anywhere with Columbia or Hopkins, but that other schools like BU or Emory are more open to trying and matching the aid.

I'm quoting a post I wrote in the 2017 thread about negotiating financial aid for y'all:

This is summarized from an email from a friend who did this two years ago w/ Hopkins and had moderate success. I haven't tried it yet, but:
  • Try to get someone in the financial aid office in real time (on the phone or in person). Ask them for an update on your financial aid/scholarship status so that they have to pull up your application/info. Know going into the conversation that there's basically 0 chance of getting anything out of this one phone call because schools have protocols they have to follow about adjusting packages. Your goal is just to get them to pay attention to your case.
  • Explain that their school is your top choice because [insert reason(s) here] but that the decision for you will have to come down to finances. If applicable, say that you are very grateful for the [insert amount here] of grants/scholarships/etc. they have offered you because it has made it possible for you to practically consider attending.
  • Then hit them with the numbers-- "I was lucky enough to receive $Xk from another top school, which would reduce my overall tuition cost there to $Yk for each year. I was wondering if there was any chance that [insert school here] would be able to match that, especially considering the higher cost of living in [insert city here]." Don't tell them which school or where it is located because then it opens up a conversation about what they offer vs. the other institution.
  • Know that they will probably say no to this. Listen to and then thank them for the response they give. Then ask for something lower and explain why that amount will have an impact.
  • Then ask if as people decline acceptance, grants/scholarship money will be reallocated to other applicants (ie., you). They might say yes or "it's possible" to this. Then ask how you can receive updates on this process and state that you will call back in [insert amount of time here] if you haven't heard anything.
  • They will probably suggest that you reach out to your department for info about outside scholarships, TA positions, etc. Contact the program coordinator or whichever administrator makes sense. Maybe even start with the department head if they've sent you and email/letter welcoming you to the department. Ask for the info and give the same explanation about your scholarship at the other school that you gave to finaid.
  • Hope that in a couple weeks they are able to offer you more money. Keep your demands high but your expectations low to avoid feeling angry or cheated by the school. It's a frustrating and disappointing process and it is only going to be worse if you let yourself express anything other than positivity and graciousness to the school. The simple truth is that MPH programs are money-making for most schools. They want most students to pay full tuition out of pocket or through loans. And it's a hard pill to swallow, but the reasons they didn't give you grants or scholarships to begin with are (1) there's a limited amount of money and (2) what money exists did not go to you in first place because there are applicants who the school believes have greater need and/or are more qualified/a better fit for the school.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Last school to hear from: Columbia and rejected! But i'm glad that's out of the way and now I can focus on my top 3 choices: JHU MSPH, UNC MPH, and Tulane MPH. Still don't have my financial aid package for the 3 but hoping for the best!

Reactions: 9 users