MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I am really confused, mostly because I can't attend admit day. I am currently living in Mexico, and working. All the admit days are in early April, and basically everything is over $500 to go out an visit some of these schools. Yale doesn't offer a travel grant, and my family is here for semana santa(spring break).

I was considering between UW and Yale. However, then my packages came through. UW gave me a diversity scholarship that was 5,000 dollars, and 5,000 in work-study, and the rest loans.

Yale, gave me 45,000, and then loans. Because it is a more expensive school, it still comes out about the same as UW. Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 more.

I talked to students from both programs, and the Yale POC at SPH have mixed reviews because a lot of people in the program are using the MPH program as either a stepping stone to medical school or a PHD route. I feel like this bothers me because I feel like public health is a career in itself and of course, I am not other people, but I guess I don't see grad school as a stepping stone, but a way to go into the workforce.

The UW COPHP program seems to be really cool, but then at the end of the day, the program is separate from the rest of the school of public health, and the cohort lacks diversity. Basically all your classes are with the same 20 people, and from talking to students they didn't have contact with people from other schools or programs within public health. I liked that the program was small, but if I could do it again, I would probably apply to global health at UW.

Today, I got offered the Graduate Opportunity Award at UCLA, and I was not even considering UCLA because I grew up in the LA area, and LA traffic is...but it is 20,000+ tuition for the first year. And yes UCLA does value diversity, but it is also a bigger program. Further, I thought, what about my second year?

Basically, I am confused. Any thoughts on UW or Yale? Could I negotiate with Yale for more money?

I also feel really annoyed because if these schools are going to write me off as their diversity then really..how about making it affordable for first-generation students of color to go to school. I just want to make an impact in people's lives and in low-income communities. :(

Could you elaborate on your conversations with students of color at Yale? I am considering Yale as well, but am unsure about the diversity of the campus and surrounding area (I got a diversity email from a student a few weeks back, and it sounded a bit too enthusiastic to me).

In terms of your decision, I think you need to decide what matters most to you: cost, program, location, etc (from what you mentioned, it seems cost and diversity is pretty high up there in terms of priorities, and it sounds like UCLA would fit both of the aforementioned criteria for you). This should be your guiding principal and what you go back to when you begin to doubt yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was about to decline BU today, but they just offered me an additional scholarship. I don’t have time to schedule another visit to Boston, and now I’m a bit torn :confused:
Did you appeal for more money? I sent financial aid an email and they said they couldn’t increase the paltry need based grant they offered me but I could get in contact with the basic admissions email about improving my merit scholarship. Did you leverage other offers or did they increase it out of the blue?

We can bring guests to Yale's admitted students day and my dad will be traveling with me to visit the school. He really, really wants to attend the visit day. Would that be weird if I brought him as my guest? I'm a first generation student and my dad is pumped to visit an ~*~Ivy League~*~ school so I want to give him the opportunity but am worried it'll come off as strange.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I just got into BU on Monday and haven't received the second e-mail w/ portal login info. Does anyone remember how long it took for them to send that after getting accepted?
They send your BU ID in your paper acceptance letter so keep an eye out. You could also email them!

Hello,

I am really confused, mostly because I can't attend admit day. I am currently living in Mexico, and working. All the admit days are in early April, and basically everything is over $500 to go out an visit some of these schools. Yale doesn't offer a travel grant, and my family is here for semana santa(spring break).

I was considering between UW and Yale. However, then my packages came through. UW gave me a diversity scholarship that was 5,000 dollars, and 5,000 in work-study, and the rest loans.

Yale, gave me 45,000, and then loans. Because it is a more expensive school, it still comes out about the same as UW. Maybe 5,000 or 10,000 more.

I talked to students from both programs, and the Yale POC at SPH have mixed reviews because a lot of people in the program are using the MPH program as either a stepping stone to medical school or a PHD route. I feel like this bothers me because I feel like public health is a career in itself and of course, I am not other people, but I guess I don't see grad school as a stepping stone, but a way to go into the workforce.

The UW COPHP program seems to be really cool, but then at the end of the day, the program is separate from the rest of the school of public health, and the cohort lacks diversity. Basically all your classes are with the same 20 people, and from talking to students they didn't have contact with people from other schools or programs within public health. I liked that the program was small, but if I could do it again, I would probably apply to global health at UW.

Today, I got offered the Graduate Opportunity Award at UCLA, and I was not even considering UCLA because I grew up in the LA area, and LA traffic is...but it is 20,000+ tuition for the first year. And yes UCLA does value diversity, but it is also a bigger program. Further, I thought, what about my second year?

Basically, I am confused. Any thoughts on UW or Yale? Could I negotiate with Yale for more money?

I also feel really annoyed because if these schools are going to write me off as their diversity then really..how about making it affordable for first-generation students of color to go to school. I just want to make an impact in people's lives and in low-income communities. :(

It sounds that UCLA would be a pretty good fit for you. The school is really involved in the LA community and works to give back to communities of color. They also have a few centers that study health disparities. Anna Lim at UCLA has been really helpful in suggesting outside scholarships if you want to contact her! Also, there's a lot of scholarships at UCLA that you can only apply for if you have recommendations from faculty, which means they wouldn't kick in until your second year because you can only apply for them once you start attending. There's also research and TA positions that could offset cost in the area.

I'm not very familiar with how much research Yale does for POC. I remember when I was applying to Yale that I struggled to find professors that focused on health disparities.... I'm not very familiar with UW since I didn't apply there.

We can bring guests to Yale's admitted students day and my dad will be traveling with me to visit the school. He really, really wants to attend the visit day. Would that be weird if I brought him as my guest? I'm a first generation student and my dad is pumped to visit an ~*~Ivy League~*~ school so I want to give him the opportunity but am worried it'll come off as strange.
Just contact an administrator at Yale and ask if the program is available to friends/family. At UCLA, they specified that the program was specifically for admitted students and not guests but offered that guests could attend a tour of campus. Your dad could always take a campus tour while you are meeting professors and such.

I'm so beyond annoyed with Berkeley at this point. It's almost April and crickets from them since I submitted back in November. Decision deadlines are in a few short weeks. Is it just me, or does this signal a level of inefficiency and disorganization from them?
What concentration did you apply for? I know they are dealing with a lot because they just changed their dean for the school of public health.

Doesn’t really answer your question, but that last part tho! I agree, so many financial barriers for students hoping to enter the field and make change in their respective communities.

Hello,

Just contact an administrator at Yale and ask if the program is available to friends/family. At UCLA, they specified that the program was specifically for admitted students and not guests but offered that guests could attend a tour of campus. Your dad could always take a campus tour while you are meeting professors and such.
They said we could bring guests. Which is why I'm asking this question.

They said we could bring guests. Which is why I'm asking this question.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean that even though you are allowed to bring guests, there might be times during the day that are meant for just admitted students. For example, you might not want your dad to be meeting your professors because you want them to remember you, not your dad. So in that time, he could just take a campus tour.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I wasn't clear. I mean that even though you are allowed to bring guests, there might be times during the day that are meant for just admitted students. For example, you might not want your dad to be meeting your professors because you want them to remember you, not your dad. So in that time, he could just take a campus tour.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't bring him to that but he wants to go to the opening coffee and deans remarks, which I feel is acceptable.

If your dad wants to come, I say let him come and be supportive. The majority of students come on their own, but a good number do bring a guest. He may have to stand off to the side during some sessions where admitted students talk with current students and faculty, but it’s not a problem. I do not believe it is weird at all. It is nice to have somebody there as a second set of ears, and it sounds like it will make him very happy. Everybody there will be concerned with learning about the school and will not care who brings guests. Also, MPH programs attract students of all ages, so he could just look like a prospective student. I was in the same situation as you last year when my father really wanted to come to a visit day for a school that was local, and other students kept asking what program he was admitted to! I know a good number of people who brought parents to Yale in the past, and it was a good experience for them. In my opinion, it is nice to have an excited parent and you shouldn’t feel weird about it.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else waiting to hear back from UCI or USC? Those are the only schools I have not heard from yet.
I heard back end of February but I haven't accepted the offer yet. Are you attending the open house today?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your dad wants to come, I say let him come and be supportive. The majority of students come on their own, but a good number do bring a guest. He may have to stand off to the side during some sessions where admitted students talk with current students and faculty, but it’s not a problem. I do not believe it is weird at all. It is nice to have somebody there as a second set of ears, and it sounds like it will make him very happy. Everybody there will be concerned with learning about the school and will not care who brings guests. Also, MPH programs attract students of all ages, so he could just look like a prospective student. I was in the same situation as you last year when my father really wanted to come to a visit day for a school that was local, and other students kept asking what program he was admitted to! I know a good number of people who brought parents to Yale in the past, and it was a good experience for them. In my opinion, it is nice to have an excited parent and you shouldn’t feel weird about it.
Thanks so much for your input! My dad is this really sweet 72 year old man (I was adopted), so I wouldn't doubt if people assumed he was part of the faculty or something.

Reactions: 3 users
I still have yet heard from Harvard. I talked to the departmental staff yesterday, and he told me that they still haven't reviewed 120 applications. I applied in November, and it's almost April. I am just wondering if this is normal and slightly agitated.

I still have yet heard from Harvard. I talked to the departmental staff yesterday, and he told me that they still haven't reviewed 120 applications. I applied in November, and it's almost April. I am just wondering if this is normal and slightly agitated.

I also applied to biostats (SM80) and feel the same way. I emailed the biostats Manager of Academic Services last week and was told that most of the applications have been reviewed but the recent snowstorms caused some delays on getting the decisions out... guess she was wrong. I'm not expecting to get in, but it really is quite frustrating to not have heard back by now.

At Visit Emory and wondering if any of you all want to chat while you're here. I'm heading up to UNC tomorrow but have a couple hours before my flight! I'm easy to find, I'm one of the 3 males here.

Did you appeal for more money? I sent financial aid an email and they said they couldn’t increase the paltry need based grant they offered me but I could get in contact with the basic admissions email about improving my merit scholarship. Did you leverage other offers or did they increase it out of the blue?
I did not appeal, I actually haven’t had much contact with BU-it just came out of the blue. It was an additional merit scholarship so hopefully you have some luck too!

It may not seem like much to you, but you are your dad's pride and joy, and I get the impression that it would mean so much to him to be there with you. I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thought. You have the university's approval to bring a guest, so make his day and bring him along for ride. I've also realized that parents can be a great help when it comes to figuring out where you best fit. My parents were able to see immediately when I went to my undergraduate accepted students' day that it was the school for me. He may be able to give you insight if you're still picking between schools.

Reactions: 12 users
For anyone wondering, Minnesota and Colorado DO NOT provide Financial Aid packages until after you commit...So stressful

At Visit Emory and wondering if any of you all want to chat while you're here. I'm heading up to UNC tomorrow but have a couple hours before my flight! I'm easy to find, I'm one of the 3 males here.
I would love to hear your thoughts following UNC's Admit Day! I'm so sad I have to miss out but I only got my acceptance letter last week and didn't have enough time to request PTO for the day. I hope it goes well!

Hey guys! This is my first time posting on this super helpful forum! I am currently deciding between NYU and BU. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I was unable to visit the campuses for Admitted Student Day. Someone has already posted a thorough summary of BU's admitted students day, but I haven't found one for NYU. If anyone of you guys attended the NYU Admitted Student Day, can you please post a summary? Or you can also message me! It would be greatly appreciated! :D

Sad to miss Emory’s admit day today because of flight cancellation. I really wanted to tour the CDC. Hopefully I’ll be there tomorrow. I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s visit day
The tour was just a tour of the CDC museum (which was still interesting, just not a tour of the CDC itself). It sounded like you could go by yourself at any time, so if you have free time tomorrow you can check it out.

For me personally, I don't think you missed too much by not going today. The mock class was nice since I graduated a few years ago and the CDC museum was interesting but that was about it. They didn't really get into any program specifics. However, I know I won't be going to Emory so I didn't put as much effort into it as others might've, thus I got less out of it. YMMV? I'm sure others can be more helpful.

Hey guys this might be a dumb question but what does one wear to an admitted students day? Like business casual or normal casual? I'm worried I'm going to be over/ under dressed.

Last edited:
Hey guys this might be a dumb question but what does one wear to an admitted students day? Like business casual or normal casual? I'm worried I'm going to be over/ under dressed.

I think it depends on the person/school. University of Michigan told everyone that dress code was normal casual and a decent number of people showed up in business casual and normal casual. I don't think you could go too wrong either way! You do want to wear comfortable shoes though, esp if you are going to be touring campus!

Does anyone happen to have any insight into class size at Colorado?

Not a dumb question! I’m in the same boat. At least for Emory, they suggested casual with comfortable shoes. I wasn’t able to attend today’s visit day, but I’m sure there’ll be a mix

Accepted to Harvard's biostatistics program and declined my offer at Yale, Penn, Brown, JHU, and UW. Thank you all for having been so supportive and cheerful! Good luck with your journey in the fall :)

Reactions: 10 users

Not a dumb question at all. UCLA said casual, and they meant it... :p. I showed up business casual and felt overdressed! I'd really contact the specific program to ask though. Have fun!

Hi Everyone:
Any advice on where to live in baltimore ? How to find roommates?
I am starting my MPH in JHU in June but I will move to Baltimore in May and probably stay there until the fall until I start my job.
Any advice would be appreciated !

Has anyone heard from Columbia recently? I applied to HPM and had my interview 2/9. I will probably be committing to Yale, but I want to make sure I was rejected from Columbia before I do so.

Hi Everyone:
I am starting my MPH in JHU in June but I will move to Baltimore in May and probably stay there until the fall until I start my job.

My friend who goes to JHU really likes the Mt. Vernon area. If there is a Facebook page for the admitted students, that may be a good place to start.

Does anyone know how to go about looking for apartments online? I can't afford to fly across the country again to Oregon to look at apartments, but I need to find a place to live before I move in June. Are there any reputable sites to look for places or am I SOL?

Has anyone received their financial aid information from Arizona? I know that this board is more east coast/California schools but thought I'd ask! Also is anyone on here going to/considering UA?

Does anyone know how to go about looking for apartments online? I can't afford to fly across the country again to Oregon to look at apartments, but I need to find a place to live before I move in June. Are there any reputable sites to look for places or am I SOL?
I go to Oregon State for my undergrad now and housing in Corvallis is a nightmare! I would try using Zillow or trulia but honestly most of the houses in Corvallis are rented within minutes of becoming available. Also, housing prices in Corvallis are way too high for the quality that they provide if you want to live near the campus.

Has anyone received their financial aid information from Arizona? I know that this board is more east coast/California schools but thought I'd ask! Also is anyone on here going to/considering UA?
I am! Except I probably won't hear until later. I applied by 1/5 but had to retake my GRE 2/23

So I had this on my decision portal for Michigan; could this probably be good or bad news?

An admission decision for your application to department of Nutritional Sciences has been made. You will be receiving an official email from the University of Michigan School of Public Health within five business days.

does anyone know why 5 business days ?

Last edited:
So I had this on my decision portal for Michigan; could this probably be good news?

An admission decision for your application to department of Nutritional Sciences has been made. You will be receiving an official email from the University of Michigan School of Public Health within five business days.

does anyone know why 5 business days ?
Probably because the school itself needs to look over your application and approve the department's decision.

thank you! I am so nervous but I feel it could be a rejection lol
if they said this "An admission decision for your application to department of Nutritional Sciences has been made "
there's a higher or permit me to use the word highest chance of you getting an admission than a rejection
so don't sweat it!!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone:

If you scroll through video on the admitted students visit day page, there is a section where they talk about housing.

So EXCITED to say I have decided to officially attend BROWN!!! It has been a long 8 months but this forum has made it so much easier. Good luck to everyone else! If anyone else has decided on Brown feel free to message me!:claps::soexcited:

Reactions: 20 users
if they aid this "An admission decision for your application to department of Nutritional Sciences has been made "
there's a higher or permit me to use the word highest chance of you getting an admission than a rejection
so don't sweat it!!
Thank you!! You think so? I will definitely keep you guys updated!

I would like to move to UNC in mid June. Would looking for housing starting mid April be a good time to do so or is that too late/too early? Thanks! (I want to rent a house)

After Emory's visit, I'm pretty sold!! I'll post a review here sometime next week, but I LOVED it and I'm so excited to likely attend in the fall! :)

Reactions: 12 users
Everyone who applied to the epid department at Michigan may want to check their Wolverine Access! I just received a "View decision" link this morning which includes some vague "you will receive an email with the decision" text. Based off previous threads this is most definitely a rejection, and although I was totally expecting it - and epid was not my first choice - it still sucks to be rejected nonetheless. Hopefully some of you will find acceptances there!!
I just got this message today but for nutritional sciences ah yeah i feel it'll be a rejection lol.