MPH Fall 2018: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could you elaborate on your conversations with students of color at Yale? I am considering Yale as well, but am unsure about the diversity of the campus and surrounding area (I got a diversity email from a student a few weeks back, and it sounded a bit too enthusiastic to me).

In terms of your decision, I think you need to decide what matters most to you: cost, program, location, etc (from what you mentioned, it seems cost and diversity is pretty high up there in terms of priorities, and it sounds like UCLA would fit both of the aforementioned criteria for you). This should be your guiding principal and what you go back to when you begin to doubt yourself.
Yes,
I talked to three students of color from the SPH department. I feel like they had mixed experiences. One assured me they loved the program and that there is opportunity to find your niche, and I believe this. However, obviously maybe would be one of the only Latinx students. And as always even if people mean to be well intentioned, there are things that are said or comments that are made. I got this feedback from an SBS graduate. She also told me that people often talked about interventions and not necessarily more upstream strategies within public health. However, one the thing that I do like is that the SBS department works on a lot of research with the psychology department especially with maternal and child health.

Overall, I agree with you the smarter decision would be to go to UCLA,but I think having a new life experience, and being away from home is more important to me.

I also feel like the students I talked to told me likea good place to give back to the community was the New Haven clinic, but like clinics/hospitals arent the only place to receive preventative or primary care. I am interested in school based preventative care in low income communities, and Yale nor UCLA has that much research on this but UW does.

I was told by friends, some former students to just either go with my gut or realize that maybe some schools will have some things you want but in the end, all of these are good options.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard from Columbia recently? I applied to HPM and had my interview 2/9. I will probably be committing to Yale, but I want to make sure I was rejected from Columbia before I do so.

I’m still waiting but I’m no longer interested in them. I will commit to one of my schools next week regardless of whether or not I hear back from Columbia.

I know it’s not an extremely popular school on these forums- especially since I find people asking unanswered questions in previous years, so I wanted to shed some light on Icahn Mount Sinai M.P.H. based on my admit day experience:

1) Aside from Mount Sinai being the biggest healthcare system in NYC, it’s also the biggest academic healthcare provider and one of the top 20 schools in public health (not sure if they mentioned the exact ranking or if I just didn’t catch it) btw this is based off of 2017 reports

2) There are about 349 total students in a masters degree program (M.P.H., MS) out of a total 1200 students (MD, PhD, M.P.H., M.S., etc.). They admit approximately 75-80 students per year.

3) Out of all the concentrations they have, epidemiology and Health Promotion and disease prevention are popular. Meanwhile, biostats and global health aren’t as much.

4) Semesters are on a trimester basis, with a week in between the start and end of each. At the admit students day, they provided sheets of what each track would look like broken down into this system. It seems that first year first semester is the most work, as everyone takes the 4 core classes (public health, socio-Behavioral Heath, biostats, and epidemiology).

5) Classes all start at 4PM and can go on through 8PM (based on what I’ve noticed with different course offerings). Not sure if this is the case for public health students. Each class you have meets once a week and there are no Friday classes.

6) In addition to required courses and track specific requirement courses, there is a mandatory Applied Practice Experience and Culminating Experience. APE is basically a fieldwork requirement and students usually fulfill this the summer between year 1 and year 2, but it can be done whenever. Some places people have done this include but aren’t limited to: NYC DOH, UNICEF, etc. The CE is usually a presentation of the APE, but can be something else, and is usually done in the second year. This can mean a Masters Thesis, Manuscript, or Capstone project. Also to fulfill this requirement, you can participate in the Global Health Summer Experience— which can take place in countries in Asia, Africa, South America, or here in the U.S. in states like Arizona. (And yes, they do provide a travel stipend)

7) Mount Sinai has an Annual Public Health Research Day and an Annual Mount Sinai Community Health Fair.

8) It also is in the top 15 for NIH funding, #10 in Nature Index, and #18 in Top Medical Schools.

9) Staff and students are really friendly, honest, and diverse.

10) The director himself was also a student here, earning both his M.P.H., and MD here. And it turns out, it’s very common for M.P.H. students to get their MD or PHD here afterwards.

11) Nothing you really have to know but a side note..... Food was heavenly. They fed us lunch and a light dinner. And really cool merch- phone pockets that can clip or rotate your phone in different angles, hand sanitizers, chapsticks, the usual note pad and pen.

99% sure I’ll commit here. They did have people from financial aid come in but they didn’t really say much. Aside from that, great experience :)

Hope this helps someone!

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We can bring guests to Yale's admitted students day and my dad will be traveling with me to visit the school. He really, really wants to attend the visit day. Would that be weird if I brought him as my guest? I'm a first generation student and my dad is pumped to visit an ~*~Ivy League~*~ school so I want to give him the opportunity but am worried it'll come off as strange.
Don’t worry at all!! My mom wanted to come to accepted student day with me as well. So at least there will be two of us there with a parent! :)

Reactions: 3 users
After Emory's visit, I'm pretty sold!! I'll post a review here sometime next week, but I LOVED it and I'm so excited to likely attend in the fall! :)

Second this!! I will 100% be attending in the fall:love:

Reactions: 5 users
Don’t worry at all!! My mom wanted to come to accepted student day with me as well. So at least there will be two of us there with a parent! :)
Awesome! Are you going to the one this coming Monday? Maybe our parents can hang when we talk to current students and professors!

Reactions: 1 user
Second this!! I will 100% be attending in the fall:love:
Awesome! I am ridiculously happy with Emory-- I even liked it more than Hopkins which I truly didn't think would happen! Lower cost+preferred program+awesome location= PERFECT FIT :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Awesome! Are you going to the one this coming Monday? Maybe our parents can hang when we talk to current students and professors!
Yes! I will be attending the March 26 student day. That’s an awesome idea! I’m sure they would both appreciate that haha

Hey! I was one of the unlucky people who couldn't attend Harvard's student admitted day because of the weather. Is there anyone who could give a review of the day, pros/cons, etc.? (Global Health info a plus).

It's coming down to decision time, and i'm getting super anxiety about it all.

Reactions: 4 users
I also went to both days of the Visit Emory event and loved it!!! Loved the students, the faculty, and the campus! I have officially paid my deposit and accepted my enrollment, however, I am deferring enrollment to fall 2019 due to financial reasons. :)

Nonetheless, I am super excited to go to Emory no matter what term I'm enrolled in! lol :p Good luck to those making decisions on where to go and still waiting to hear from schools! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Awesome! I am ridiculously happy with Emory-- I even liked it more than Hopkins which I truly didn't think would happen! Lower cost+preferred program+awesome location= PERFECT FIT :soexcited:
That's great to hear! Hope to see you next fall! :D

Hey! I was one of the unlucky people who couldn't attend Harvard's student admitted day because of the weather. Is there anyone who could give a review of the day, pros/cons, etc.? (Global Health info a plus).

It's coming down to decision time, and i'm getting super anxiety about it all.

Hey! Sure thing, I'll try my best to summarize the experience and what information was presented (by session):

Global Health and Population Department Meeting
  1. The department is comprised of SM-80, MPH-45 and 65 (as well as PhDs). Overall, the department as a whole seems to have 50-60 students, so it's very small and intimate (there are anywhere from 10-20 students for my program specifically).
  2. I can't speak on behalf of the MPH-65 program, but for the SM-80 it seems that the program really emphasizes a strong understanding of research methodology and the hard skills needed to conduct research (or even evaluate programs) in the field. Right off, we'll be learning R and Stata, as well as Python, GIS mapping, demography, survival analysis, etc. It's pretty hard-skills heavy and then using those skills in what you're passionate about.
  3. There are also three concentrations (or clusters): Global Health Systems, Humanitarian Studies, Ethics, and Human Rights, or Population and Family Health.
  4. The first semester/quarter (?) (or whatever, not sure how that works, should have clarified) can be very difficult and challenging, so you're advised to not to start research or anything major then. You'll be taking foundational epi and biostats courses which can have over 100 students (lecture-style). As you progress, it'll be more small discussion-based classes and even collaborative classes.
  5. There are opportunities to take courses in other countries and do research/projects during this faculty-led study abroad trip.
  6. The department (and the university as a whole) prides itself on the ability for students to cross-list in other schools (Harvard Kennedy, Law, etc.) as well as MIT, which will count towards their respective degrees. You can also work with the different centers
  7. The current students had a wide range of interests, with anything from reproductive health and population control to non-communicable diseases. I believe all of the current SM-80 students were doing research and have of them had paid research (hourly, ~$20). You can also do paid teaching assistantships if you did well enough in the course.
  8. You'll be assigned an advisor (faculty member) based on your interests, so it's important to meet with them and let them know where you see yourself in the future so they can actually tell you what exactly you need to do and what opportunities to take advantage of.
  9. There is always something going on (over 50+ events a day even) so take advantage of those opportunities. Finding such opportunities won't be hard, but choosing will.
Student Life Session and Student Organizations/Resources
  1. There are over 50+ student organizations on campus, and if you feel like there isn't one that represents your needs or interests, you can create it (during the fall)
  2. There appears to be a big focus on diversity, diversity initiatives, and diversity clubs (Latinx Students in Public Health, Women of Color Collective, Queer Student Association etc.)
Housing Session
  1. Start your search early. You can choose Harvard housing (Vanderbilt Hall, Shattuck International Housing, Harvard University) or off-campus.
  2. Majority of students live at Brookline, Mission Hill/Jamaica Plain (where HSPH is), or Central Square/Cambridge.
  3. The Boston housing market is expensive as hell. Here's a map they presented depicting rates. You can probably expect to pay $1470 monthly (and that assumes you have a roommate).
  4. If you choose Harvard housing, you don't have to worry about broker fees, paying this month + last month's rent upfront, etc. Harvard, but there aren't many units, so don't count on getting this. Seems like a majority of the housing is lottery-based. Cambridge housing is going through renovations so ~400 units of the already competitive 4000 units will not be available. Shattuck International House is 10 minutes from HSPH and preference is given to people with families. Application opens up on March 26th. Vanderbilt Hall is for medical students and any extra space becomes available for HSPH students--this is residence hall style.
  5. If you decide to live in the Cambridge area, you can get a 50% subsidy for the M2 shuttle pass (EDIT: M2 shuttle is free with an ID, but you get a 50% discount for the MBTA) which connects the medical/Longwood campus to the Cambridge campus.
  6. September 1st is the busiest day to move in, so plan accordingly.
  7. They recommended getting renter's insurance.
  8. Check out the Facebook Group and Harvard Housing Off-Campus for roommates and listings.
Financial Aid
  1. Didn't really pay much attention to this but check out this budgeting tool they showed us.
  2. You have to notify the office if you have any external scholarships so that can be accounted for on your financial aid allocation (so you won't get billed)
  3. Apparently, you need to fill out some form to get financial reimbursements? Not sure...
Career Advancement
  1. Lots of networking opportunities, career fairs
  2. You can work on your resume and all that stuff with career services
  3. They'll give you a $10 Starbucks gift card when you reach out and grab coffee with alumni

Hope that helps, feel free to reach out if you need clarification.

Last edited:
Hey! Sure thing, I'll try my best to summarize the experience and what information was presented (by session):

Global Health and Population Department Meeting
  1. The department is comprised of SM-80, MPH-45 and 65 (as well as PhDs). Overall, the department as a whole seems to have 50-60 students, so it's very small and intimate (there are anywhere from 10-20 students for my program specifically).
  2. I can't speak on behalf of the MPH-65 program, but for the SM-80 it seems that the program really emphasizes a strong understanding of research methodology and the hard skills needed to conduct research (or even evaluate programs) in the field. Right off, we'll be learning R and Stata, as well as Python, GIS mapping, demography, survival analysis, etc. It's pretty hard-skills heavy and then using those skills in what you're passionate about.
  3. There are also three concentrations (or clusters): Global Health Systems, Humanitarian Studies, Ethics, and Human Rights, or Population and Family Health.
  4. The first semester/quarter (?) (or whatever, not sure how that works, should have clarified) can be very difficult and challenging, so you're advised to not to start research or anything major then. You'll be taking foundational epi and biostats courses which can have over 100 students (lecture-style). As you progress, it'll be more small discussion-based classes and even collaborative classes.
  5. There are opportunities to take courses in other countries and do research/projects during this faculty-led study abroad trip.
  6. The department (and the university as a whole) prides itself on the ability for students to cross-list in other schools (Harvard Kennedy, Law, etc.) as well as MIT, which will count towards their respective degrees. You can also work with the different centers
  7. The current students had a wide range of interests, with anything from reproductive health and population control to non-communicable diseases. I believe all of the current SM-80 students were doing research and have of them had paid research (hourly, ~$20). You can also do paid teaching assistantships if you did well enough in the course.
  8. You'll be assigned an advisor (faculty member) based on your interests, so it's important to meet with them and let them know where you see yourself in the future so they can actually tell you what exactly you need to do and what opportunities to take advantage of.
  9. There is always something going on (over 50+ events a day even) so take advantage of those opportunities. Finding such opportunities won't be hard, but choosing will.
Student Life Session and Student Organizations/Resources
  1. There are over 50+ student organizations on campus, and if you feel like there isn't one that represents your needs or interests, you can create it (during the fall)
  2. There appears to be a big focus on diversity, diversity initiatives, and diversity clubs (Latinx Students in Public Health, Women of Color Collective, Queer Student Association etc.)
Housing Session
  1. Start your search early. You can choose Harvard housing (Vanderbilt Hall, Shattuck International Housing, Harvard University) or off-campus.
  2. Majority of students live at Brookline, Mission Hill/Jamaica Plain (where HSPH is), or Central Square/Cambridge.
  3. The Boston housing market is expensive as hell. Here's a map they presented depicting rates. You can probably expect to pay $1470 monthly (and that assumes you have a roommate).
  4. If you choose Harvard housing, you don't have to worry about broker fees, paying this month + last month's rent upfront, etc. Harvard, but there aren't many units, so don't count on getting this. Seems like a majority of the housing is lottery-based. Cambridge housing is going through renovations so ~400 units of the already competitive 4000 units will not be available. Shattuck International House is 10 minutes from HSPH and preference is given to people with families. Application opens up on March 26th. Vanderbilt Hall is for medical students and any extra space becomes available for HSPH students--this is residence hall style.
  5. If you decide to live in the Cambridge area, you can get a 50% subsidy for the M2 shuttle pass, which connects the medical/Longwood campus to the Cambridge campus.
  6. September 1st is the busiest day to move in, so plan accordingly.
  7. They recommended getting renter's insurance.
  8. Check out the Facebook Group and Harvard Housing Off-Campus for roommates and listings.
Financial Aid
  1. Didn't really pay much attention to this but check out this budgeting tool they showed us.
  2. You have to notify the office if you have any external scholarships so that can be accounted for on your financial aid allocation (so you won't get billed)
  3. Apparently, you need to fill out some form to get financial reimbursements? Not sure...
Career Advancement
  1. Lots of networking opportunities, career fairs
  2. You can work on your resume and all that stuff with career services
  3. They'll give you a $10 Starbucks gift card when you reach out and grab coffee with alumni

Hope that helps, feel free to reach out if you need clarification.

Note the M2 shuttle is free with an ID, but you get a 50% discount for the MBTA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! It’s good to see everyone deciding on schools they want to go to! While I am doing the same, I wonder how do you politely decline the other offers in email. :unsure:

Also, is anyone here deferring MPH Hopkins to next year?

Look at rent prices in New Haven is giving me major anxiety. Basically it's pay $2,000 a month or take the bus for an hour and a half each way. :eek:

Reactions: 2 users
To the admitted students at Columbia:

Please turn down their offer already if you don’t plan on committing to the school so that those of us still waiting can hear from them. Haha. I’m hella nervous. I wanna attend that school SOOOO BAAAAD

Is there anyone still waiting to hear back from Tulane, Emory, Ohio State, or Univ of Minnesota? If so when was your app verified? Mine was 2/27

This forum has been so helpful, especially the visit day write-ups. Here a quick something I put together for prospective SBS students who weren’t able to make it to Harvard’s visit day.

9 am: Welcome Remarks
  • Free food!
  • General introduction to admissions, deans, and faculty. There was a very funny presentation about why one should choose Harvard versus other PH schools. It was a nice light-hearted start to the day.
10 am: Department/Program Information Sessions General Overview
  • We were broken up by department. I went to the SBS session so maybe other students on this forum can chime in on how their respective sessions went. At the SBS session the chair of the department spoke about the curriculum core and how the academic year is structured. He also spoke of the research opportunities both inside and outside the department as one of the students asked about opportunities to publish with faculty.
  • At Chan, they have non-degree programs that you can add to your field of study called interdisciplinary concentrations. While there are many interdisciplinary concentrations you can do within the department (GH & nutrition, Maternal and child health, Human ethics, etc) there seemed to be a special emphasis on the maternal and child health concentration. The outgoing/incoming heads of the program are faculty in SBS and were there to talk a little bit about the program. So if that is something you are interested in, great!
  • Of particular interest to me was the ability to fit everything that I want to do in the short time we are there. The impression that I got from the faculty was that it is doable, but you just have to be cognizant of your limited time at Harvard and hit the ground running when you get there. That means identifying faculty that you’d be interested in working with before you get here. Though realize actually reaching out to them before you get on campus/are an actual student will be hit or miss as they are very busy.
11 am: All MPH Students
  • More introductory remarks
  • There was a brief overview on practicum requirements. To be honest, the Chan website is more than comprehensive, so I found that a lot of information given to us was already on the website.
  • The student panel was nice. They talked about their practicum experiences (some international, some domestic). They also talked about their “most valuable academic experience” at Chan. Many mentioned cross-registering at different Harvard schools, MIT and Tufts. I found this a common theme with students throughout the day.
12 pm: Housing Session
  • Oh my oh my, Boston housing seems like a nightmare lol. There are three main options for student housing. You can live in:
    • Shattuck: Chan-owned international housing apartment. It’s pricey, but convenient especially if you have a family. There was a tour of the place, but if you look at the Chan website, you can find pictures of the place there.
    • Harvard University housing: We were told they keep the prices at “market value”. It is an appealing option because you would not have to pay all those upfront fees that many places want (first/last month’s rent, broker fees, security deposits). Also, your landlord is essentially Harvard, so you don’t have to worry about anything shady going on. However, they don’t have housing available for all the grad students who want it (4500 students for about 700 units…yikes), so it is somewhat competitive.
    • Off campus: Students tend to live in Mission Hill, Brookline, Jamaica Plain, and Cambridge (a quick shuttle to campus). But really anywhere near the public transport is doable I was told.
1 pm: Student Life Session
  • I was impressed at how involved students are in organizations. There’s a hiking club, a biking club, a Women of Color club, a human ethics club--I could list a million. Students said that the school is very supportive in terms of resources and funding of student organizations.
  • Students also said there are ALWAYS events going on. I agree. A quick look at the online events calendar confirms it.
  • There’s a “One Harvard” push to get more collaboration going on with all the Harvard schools and to foster a more inclusive community for students. A couple students said they could see the effects of this initiative and it has been easier to collaborate with other organizations in other graduate schools. But they did say they still felt they had to put a lot of effort in reaching out to other schools.

2 pm: General Campus tour
  • Pretty self explanatory. Classes are in the Kresge and FXB building on the Longwood medical campus. The tour was pretty short haha.
  • Vanderbilt hall houses the apartments for the medical students (and sometime PH students if there is space), gym facilities, and health services for students on the Longwood campus.

3 pm: Diversity and Inclusion Reception/Student Panel
  • This was a great opportunity to meet the staff and students of the office of diversity and inclusion. It seems like there is genuine effort on the part of HSPH to offer an inclusive environment for minority students,LGBTQ students, low income students, and supportive students who are interested in their issues. I liked seeing this because I have been in high-stress academic environments and I know that it can be very isolating and debilitating.
  • At the panel, they were very honest about their struggles. Out of respect of the students privacy, I will not get into here. However, do know there are counseling services and other students you can depend on to help you through your time here.

All in all, I thought is was great and organized day!

Thank you everyone for posting about your experiences during Admitted Students day! Did anyone end up going to the NYU Cgph admitted students day? Could you post some thoughts on the program?

Hey everyone! It’s good to see everyone deciding on schools they want to go to! While I am doing the same, I wonder how do you politely decline the other offers in email. :unsure:
A lot of schools should have some kind of online form that has an accept or decline admission option. At least, that's the case for the schools I got into and declined their offers.

One school emailed me asking if there is a reason I don't want to attend their school (which I don't think this is a common thing schools do). I politely told them the things I liked about the school and program, and one thing I wasn't too fond of. Then I told them in one setence why I'm going to another school because it was my top choice and so on. There's not much to it, just keep it short and simple. I'm assuming in this particular situation the school was trying to receive some suggestions or reccomendations on how to improve their program.

I would like to move to UNC in mid June. Would looking for housing starting mid April be a good time to do so or is that too late/too early? Thanks! (I want to rent a house)
Are you looking to live with roommates or alone?
I looked at a house near campus that would be perfect for 2 people. It's a current MD PhD and his wife looking to transfer their lease because they're buying a house. Rent is $1115 a month. They're really looking for someone to pick up their lease in June (which is earlier than most in a college town), so it could be a good fit for you. They posted info on the admitted student Facebook page. Check it out.

Hey all,

Quick question for students in the know about UCLA - they are the last school that I'm waiting to get an admissions decision from (I was a late applicant - SOPHAS was verified 2/15) but they are also tied for my top choice with Chapel Hill. Do you know if they follow the standard MPH April 15th deadline for financial aid decisions like most other programs? Their admissions portal says decisions often aren't made until end of March/April, but I'm hoping that means before April 15th. Also - does anyone know how easy it is to gain California residency for Year 2?

Thanks!

If you officially commit somewhere, make sure to update your signature to help out next year's cohort (&post if you haven't since I'm sure we are all curious!)! #keepthegoodvibesgoing

Reactions: 5 users
Officially going to UC Berkeley for Epi/Bio! So excited and congrats to everybody!! This has been a long process.

Reactions: 18 users
Officially going to UC Berkeley for Epi/Bio! So excited and congrats to everybody!! This has been a long process.

Congratulations! That's a huge decision.

I am currently inching closer to UC Berkeley's Epi/Biostat program, especially with my partner's favorable job prospects in the Bay Area. If you don't mind me asking, what were your deciding factors?

Just wanted to give a shoutout to the community on this thread for being so proactive/involved/supportive. The fact that I'm joining a profession with all of you/people like you makes me feel like a) I made a great life choice and b) we're going to get great things done in the field.

Reactions: 23 users
Are you looking to live with roommates or alone?
I looked at a house near campus that would be perfect for 2 people. It's a current MD PhD and his wife looking to transfer their lease because they're buying a house. Rent is $1115 a month. They're really looking for someone to pick up their lease in June (which is earlier than most in a college town), so it could be a good fit for you. They posted info on the admitted student Facebook page. Check it out.
I am looking for a place to live in with my partner. I actually saw that post! And we’ll look into it :)

Hello everyone. For my UNC people, I am the only one to not have received a financial aid package? I have not accepted admission yet, as we've been advised not to on this forum. However, it has been over a month since I got my decision letter and I am getting worried. I want to start planning the next phase of my life.

Hello everyone. For my UNC people, I am the only one to not have received a financial aid package? I have not accepted admission yet, as we've been advised not to on this forum. However, it has been over a month since I got my decision letter and I am getting worried. I want to start planning the next phase of my life.

I haven’t received mine either

I have finally declined Emory and accepted the admission offer from Boston University :D So excited!

This forum has been so helpful. Thank you so much everyone!!! Hopefully I will see some of you this fall in BU. :soexcited:

Reactions: 13 users
Thank you everyone for everything you shared on this thread...really appreciate it!

Are there any International students here? All the help here is awesome but frankly speaking as an international student it still feels so lonely :( So do reach out if you are one!

And, if anyone is aware of any scholarships for international students, please do share :)

Last edited:
Random question:

Now that the decision process is nearly over, what did you guys do as a thank you for your recommenders? I work with two of them and they both went to grad school (i.e. have been through this process) and I'm wondering if they're expecting a gift basket/letter/verbal thank you (at the very least a verbal thank you)?! I truly feel they played an enormous role in my acceptances.

Reactions: 9 users
Random question:

Now that the decision process is nearly over, what did you guys do as a thank you for your recommenders? I work with two of them and they both went to grad school (i.e. have been through this process) and I'm wondering if they're expecting a gift basket/letter/verbal thank you (at the very least a verbal thank you)?! I truly feel they played an enormous role in my acceptances.

I got each one a plant (like a succulent) and attached a note that said: "Thank you for helping me GROW!" Each of them loved it!

Reactions: 17 users
Random question:

I baked them cookies and sent them a thank you note.

yess lemme get on that! I left my notebook at home so I can try to have it up tomorrow!

Hi! Would you please post your thoughts on the NYU Admitted Students day, or you could message me as well! Thank you so much!

Hello, could someone who attended the UC Berkeley Spring Visit Day please share their thoughts/what they experienced? Especially for epi/biostats. Thanks in advance!!

Random question:

A few months back, I hand wrote a thank you note and sent it along with some artisan chocolates. Then they all wrote me thank you emails for the chocolates and I was like...do I respond and risk creating an endless "thank you" loop?

When I choose a school, I will also probably send them a note saying where I'm going and reiterating how grateful I am.

I don't believe I've seen this mentioned anywhere but did Minnesota or Tulane have any admitted student days? If so, can someone please share their notes with me?

Kinda annoyed that I haven't heard back from Brown. I've committed to my Columbia as it was my top but I applied to Brown way back in November and have not even received an email from them. I would expect some communication seeing as though most schools require us to commit by April 15. They have not been good with communication at all. Also annoyed because those applications were not cheap and I could've saved my money if they were going to be this unresponsive :/ But whatever

Reactions: 8 users
Committed to Emory and declined admission everywhere else!! Hoping this helps everyone on the waitlists get off it!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 27 users
I've decided to commit to Drexel. Hopefully by me declining all my other acceptances it will help those seeking admission!

Reactions: 14 users
To those of you who never heard back from dream school X, Y, or Z - it's clear that a lot of applicants are making their final decisions right about now and turning down offers. You may be on an unannounced/unofficial waitlist, so while you're right to be frustrated at dream school X, Y, or Z for keeping you in the dark, remember that you have until April 15 and may yet hear back good news. Hold onto hope!

Reactions: 11 users
Okay so after school visits I've narrowed it down to Yale and GW. I'm incredibly conflicted and have been trying to write down the pros and cons of each school but wanted to hear everyone's input?

Yale: I love that Yale is such a small school. The faculty to student ratio is ideal and coming from a really large undergrad, I definitely want to be a part of a smaller cohort (their estimated number for health policy is 20-25). As I've reiterated before, they have really great classes and faculty. Once you are a student, they match you with an adviser based off of your application and interests. They seem very intentional with their programs. I honestly love that they have a global health concentration because that's something I've really wanted to pursue within health policy. The city itself is small but quaint and seems like it has a very tight knit community feel.

GW: I absolutely love DC. I may be a bit biased since I spent 3 months for an internship there 2 years ago but I really do feel at home in the city. The school has great programs and faculty as well. I like that their program is geared toward working professionals (they have more classes offered at night than in the day) since I want to take on internships and jobs during my masters. Their cohort size is almost double Yale's but GW is definitely a bigger program so it makes sense. Public transportation is also SUPER in DC and that's something I want to take advantage of since I probably won't be bringing my car to the East Coast.

I ultimately want to be more involved in applied advocacy work somewhere in DC (also maybe globally or even back at home in California) so it would make more sense to go with GW but I don't know if it's also worth to consider Yale since they do have a lot of pull in major cities.

HELP??????

Last edited:
Is this for MPH or some other degree?

I received a university (not school/departmental) scholarship which is a separate nomination and notification process. I have not heard anything about financial aid with regard to loans.

I just email UNC's financial aid package and received a response stating that graduate students will not be packaged until early April...Has anyone accepted admission to UNC yet?