MPH in Clin Effectiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the general accepted rules regarding how you present your degree/credentials down the line? For ex. if you studied a MPH in clin effectiveness, but effectively were studying epi and biostats, are you allowed to say you did your MPH in epi and biostats?

Main question here is, how strict do you have to stick with what the university calls the degree especially in the case where most people don't understand what clin effectiveness is but know what epi and biostats are because its a much more widespread term?

Members don't see this ad.

On your resume, I would write the degree as it was conferred, e.g., MPH in Clinical Effectiveness. You don't want to misrepresent it. That said, you could also write a line about epi and biostats under it. Nothing stops you from adding more of a description.

In conversation, it's much looser. For example, I know people with an MS in health care administration who, for simplicity's sake, just say they have an MHA.

Reactions: 1 user
If the university doesn't confer a concentration to their degree, would it be reasonable to just put the degree and then write your description as you see fit? The other way I was thinking is to just say clinical epidemiology and effectiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I think you can say in the description that your coursework focused on epi/biostats if you took many classes in that area. But yeah I wouldn't change the degree name on the resume.

Yes I think you can say in the description that your coursework focused on epi/biostats if you took many classes in that area. But yeah I wouldn't change the degree name on the resume.

So basically, reasonable to say:
MPH - X uni
Coursework in epi and biostats.

How about on a website/linkedin, reasonable to say you did a MPH in clin epi and effectiveness? I've seen it done before, is it acceptable?

I agree with previous sentiments above. With LinkedIn, I feel like you have a bit of wiggle room. For your headline, use the buzzwords as you see fit since that's the first thing someone sees if they search anything related to clinical effectiveness and epidemiology (or whatever type of role you're looking for). In your actual profile, state the concentration as stated by the school. If there's no formal concentration, then state the degree as you see fit, describe the degree, and list out some of the most relevant courses you've taken in epi and biostats.

Reactions: 1 user