MPH in Global Health: Michigan vs. Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashylips

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yeah, sorry this is another 'compare the schools' thread, but i'm canadian and don't have many resources to go by when comparing schools...and time is ticking, i've got to make a decision soon!

my goal is to work at the WHO...
any scholarship opportunities for foreign students? :( ...
how are the faculty: nice, busy...?
is it possible to complete the MPH in one year?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about U of M as I didn't apply there but Boston is a decent program and they do have alot of on campus jobs. I think ranking wise U of M is a really strong school. You might want to ask aspiring doc he is heading towards U of M.

ashylips said:
yeah, sorry this is another 'compare the schools' thread, but i'm canadian and don't have many resources to go by when comparing schools...and time is ticking, i've got to make a decision soon!

my goal is to work at the WHO...
any scholarship opportunities for foreign students? :( ...
how are the faculty: nice, busy...?
is it possible to complete the MPH in one year?

Hihi!

Let me answer your questions as best I can, one by one.

1) Yes, there are scholarships available, but these are merit-based only. Many of the students will get either 1/4 or 1/2 tuition off, if your GPA and GRE are high enough. I'm not exactly sure where that cutoff is, but apparently 3.65 GPA is enough to get you some money. Also Global Health requires you to do an international internship, and for this funding IS available (so don't worry about going broke when you go abroad).

2) The faculty who I met were VERY nice and were really laid back. They weren't at all uptight like I met at some of the other schools. They were very friendly and made it a point to chat with me when I visited.

3) Some departments have programs which are shorter than others. Global Health at UMich is an interdepartmental concentration, which means you'll specialize in that PLUS your normal department (Environmental Health, Health Behavior and Education, etc.) If you want to specifically do Global Health, I think it's best if you stay the full 2 years. This will be especially beneficial to you because during the internship you'll be able to work abroad for an organization like WHO.

If you have any other questions, write back!

Hihi!

One more thing - sometimes there are GSI (Graduate Student Instructor) positions available. If you do this, you get free tuition for the semester during which you teach. I hope this helps!