MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think Columbia would release final acceptance/rejections by the end of this week?
I have the same concern. Finished the applicant checklist on 6th Dec 2021. No news so far. I mailed them on 16th Feb and they said my application is nearing final stages of review but nothing since.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Same, rejected from MPH-45 at Harvard. (knew it was a long shot!) Now still waiting on Yale and JH MSPH scholarship info to determine my fate...
For JH are you waiting for merit based scholarship? I really want to know if we can secure more funding apart from MTS 75%

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a group for jhu admitted students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a group for jhu admitted students?

There is a Facebook group for MPH candidates moderated by admissions. You can search for “JHU MPH 2022-2023 Class”

There's next to no information about this fellowship in the MPH forum so I just wanted to share for future cycles who might be searching/reading this -- I received my rejection email for Harvard's Zuckerman fellowship yesterday (Thursday March 3) around 2pm EST. From what I've seen in other forums like business/public policy it looks like they send interview invites around this time in early March and notify recipients of final decisions in late March/early April

What does appealing for more aid mean exactly? What does one say if they want to appeal and who would we typically contact to do so?
Last year, a bunch of students wrote a letter stating their gratitude for being admitted, why the school was a top choice (listing their interests in public health and why they wanted to go to the school in particular). Students did this when they were just about ready to commit and wanted to let the school know a little more money would help them make the final commitment. This worked for BU as students started turning down offers; the school was able to reallocate some of the scholarship to other students. The average increase was 5%.

I just got waitlisted at Columbia (Dept from Biostatistics). Anyone with experience of converting from waitlist to acceptance at Columbia?
I'm hopeful but the waiting game is too much.

I just got waitlisted at Columbia (Dept from Biostatistics). Anyone with experience of converting from waitlist to acceptance at Columbia?
I'm hopeful but the waiting game is too much.
may need to wait until people start declining

I saw a rejection on reddit from Columbia 2 days ago and today it seems like they sent out waitlist decisions but I still haven't heard back yet. Is anyone in the same position :/

Are other people still waiting on a decision from BU? I got an email saying it was sent to review on 1/27 and im surprised that I still have not heard from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if the application process is a lot longer this time round since there could be a larger number of applicants? ( perhaps because of a general demand for MPH and covid easing?)

im
But how do you think are the odds of converting from a Columbia waitlist to an acceptance?
you could speak to the admissions department and ask the conversion rate. Or reach out to your department and see where they are at

Are other people still waiting on a decision from BU? I got an email saying it was sent to review on 1/27 and im surprised that I still have not heard from them...
I'm also still waiting for BU! I applied in November but was sent for review on 1/26. It seemed like there were a bunch of acceptances in late January and then I haven't heard much since then. Hopefully there will be another round coming out next week

Is anyone else still waiting for Harvard for SM80 (in Biostatistics)? I know it’s already super late but I haven’t heard of any acceptances either so am holding out hope!

Does anyone know if Columbia has a ranking on the waitlist? or if they reconsider everyone equally? I just got waitlisted and am wondering what the odds are looking like

Does anyone know if Columbia has a ranking on the waitlist? or if they reconsider everyone equally? I just got waitlisted and am wondering what the odds are looking like
its usually based per department i believe***

Have been following this for a few months and now that I have started to hear back thought I would finally post.

Undergraduate School/School type: Mid-sized, Private R1 Research University ("New-Ivy")
Undergrad GPA: 3.46 at time of application
Major/minor: Microbiology (BS), Epidemiology (Minor)
Grad studies: Three graduate level microbiology courses, three graduate level epidemiology classes
Notes: Strong upward trend in GPA, Public health coursework GPA: 3.94

Experience/research:
-three years international health promotion/nonprofit work, community engagement with local community; one year on exec as business manager
-three semesters biology lab TA, one semester as lead TA
-two semesters public health TA
-two years as a resident advisor
-independent study on traumatic brain injury epidemiology
-research assistant on CDC funded study

Letters of Rec:
-Professor, Public Health, TA'd for course, A- in class
-Professor, Public Health, TA'd for course, A in class
-Professor, Microbiology Lab, A in class

Interests: epidemiology, infectious disease monitoring, prevention and control, community engagement, international/global health

Applied:
12/15 - Brown University - MPH Biostats/Epi
1/14 - Boston University - MPH Biostats/Epi
1/14 - Johns Hopkins University - MSPH Global Disease Epidemiology/Control
1/22 - The Dartmouth Institute - MPH (On-campus)

Accepted:
JHU: 2/7 plus Masters Tuition Scholarship (75% during second year)
Dartmouth: 2/11 plus 10K, Interviewed 2/8
BU: 3/1 plus 25%

Rejected: N/a

Waitlisted: N/a

Attending: TBD

Last edited:
Is anyone else still waiting on Yale? I applied in early December and I received an email saying that I would hear back in the first week of March but so far, nothing!

Do you get a rejection letter from JHSPH if you get rejected for the MPH health security scholarship?

Do you get a rejection letter from JHSPH if you get rejected for the MPH health security scholarship?
I've been wondering this too - they said we would hear back in the "spring" which is vague and I don't want to be pushy and check in to see if they've already awarded it yet if they're still deciding, but it definitely would factor into my decision on where to go so I want to know! I'm sort of assuming I didn't get it due to there only being one available but still want to know.

Yeah, I ended up emailing them 2 weeks ago since the deadline for one of the schools I got accepted to is next week but never heard back.

Just got into Columbia SMS! Going to be difficult choosing between that program, Dartmouth's accelerated MPH, and Yale's Health Policy. Anyone have two cents they could give on how they made their choice?

Just got into Columbia SMS! Going to be difficult choosing between that program, Dartmouth's accelerated MPH, and Yale's Health Policy. Anyone have two cents they could give on how they made their choice?
which school will get you closer to what your goals are? if its the same between them, choose money

I just got off the waitlist for Yale!! I am absolutely shocked as I did not think there was any chance I was going to get accepted or off the waitlist. I really don't know what I am going to do now.

Reactions: 4 users
I just got accepted at NYU MS Biostatistics. Anyone else? Also any NYU groups/channels?
Also NYU’s starting this program for the first time, should I be wary of taking it up?

I just got off the waitlist for Yale!! I am absolutely shocked as I did not think there was any chance I was going to get accepted or off the waitlist. I really don't know what I am going to do now.
Got off the waitlist? Meaning you got in?

Can someone please post a link for the Columbia admitted students Discord?

Does anyone know if there is an FB group/GroupMe/Discord for admitted public health students in:
  • JHU BSPH
  • GWU
  • UMD (College Park)
  • BU
  • OHSU
  • Mt. Sinai

Does anyone know if there’s any groups for UW Epi? Or just UW SPH?

Yes I emailed Debora.
I got a reply from her and she said I didn’t get it! You may need to email her again. I’ll be honest the template rejection she emailed me was a little annoying because she said they “focused strongly on those demonstrating alignment in current and future contributions addressing global catastrophic biological risks,” as if my application didn’t demonstrate that, but working on pandemic preparedness and smallpox/anthrax preparedness has been my job the past 6 years 😂 I know it’s just a template but maybe they should remove that as I’m sure a ton of people who applied have a focus on it haha