-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending
Started by zubear
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
GOT IN TO HARVARD SM80 YESTERDAY!!! Cannot believe it! Got waitlisted on March 14th with a note that said they would re-review if there’s space in May, but then got an email to check my portal!!! 🎉
knowledgepower
New Member
Has anyone also not heard back from Columbia regarding scholarships? Or can we assume if we don’t hear back = no scholarship.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I committed to Berkeley but now looking at housing has me like 😵 I'm sure it'd be that way in NYC too though! What are your interests? What programs were you accepted to?I am currently trying to decide between Berkeley, Brown and Columbia. Any thoughts/advice about any of these three schools would be so helpful 🙂
pod verdant
Full Member
I would email [email protected] and ask!Has anyone also not heard back from Columbia regarding scholarships? Or can we assume if we don’t hear back = no scholarship.
Congrats to everyone & best wishes on your continued journeys. I wanted to share my stats now that I've made a decision:OMG I got into UNC Chapel Hill for Health Behavior!!! Got a FAFSA notification on Friday and the official acceptance this morning. First gen, Latinx, former college dropout. So excited! Waiting on 2 more before making a decision.
Undergraduate School/School type: CSU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.3/3.7
Major/minor: Public Health
No GRE taken
Experience/research: Undergraduate thesis; CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholars Program; internship at a university working on an NIH-funded program to address COVID-19 disparities; 5+ years of activism/social justice work; on the E-board of Public Health Student Association at my uni
Letters of Rec:
1. Thesis advisor (epidemiology prof. at school)
2. Research analysis prof. at my school
3. Director of the CDC Undergraduate Public Health Scholars Program I attended (also the chair of a PH dept at top 10 school)
Interests: SDOH; Latinx/immigrant populations; health comm. & health behavior among minority populations; consumer health
Applied: UNC Chapel Hill (Health Behavior); UMich (Health Behavior/Health Education); UCLA (Community Health Sciences)
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill (Merit scholarship ~$37k), UMich (75% tuition scholarship), UCLA (Graduate Opportunity Fellowship)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A
Attending: UCLA 🙂
Cal just sent an email saying to expect a decision on my application by April 22 😂 what the heck? that’s after the deadline for almost every school. Guess I won’t be going there even if I get accepted
hey! are there any groupchats/discords for those accepted into yale?
Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games
Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.
Could anyone resend the link to the Harvard discord please?
Could anyone resend the link to the Harvard discord please?
Discord - Group Chat That’s All Fun & Games
Discord is great for playing games and chilling with friends, or even building a worldwide community. Customize your own space to talk, play, and hang out.
Applicant-01
Full Member
Anyone attending Harvard sorted out accomodation?
I am so stuck trying to find somewhere
I am so stuck trying to find somewhere
Hi, I'm not attending Harvard but I did live in Boston for 4 years. HSPH is in a very expensive part of Boston (Longwood/Fenway) (and Boston is already very expensive) and I recommend finding roommates unless you want to be paying $2300/month for rent. If you can't find other MPH students to live with, you may have luck in Boston housing facebook groups.Anyone attending Harvard sorted out accomodation?
I am so stuck trying to find somewhere
Another tip is that a lot of Boston rentals start their leases on September 1st. So keep that in mind as you look for apartments.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applicant-01
Full Member
Thank you so much!Hi, I'm not attending Harvard but I did live in Boston for 4 years. HSPH is in a very expensive part of Boston (Longwood/Fenway) (and Boston is already very expensive) and I recommend finding roommates unless you want to be paying $2300/month for rent. If you can't find other MPH students to live with, you may have luck in Boston housing facebook groups.
Another tip is that a lot of Boston rentals start their leases on September 1st. So keep that in mind as you look for apartments.
travel_esq
New Member
Since I've submitted my deposit I figured I would put my stats. Since I'm a more non-traditional student and my cycle was all over the place I hope this is helpful for someone! If anything my cycle shows that after work experience your undergrad GPA (or even grad GPA) matters less and less. I would say write a compelling personal statement. I got 4 comments from admissions counselors regarding my personal statement saying it was well written and made them cry.
Undergraduate School/School type: Top HBCU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/? I have no idea it's been awhile since undergrad
Graduate GPA: Also have no idea. I attended law school and it didn't follow the traditional grading rubric
Major/minor: Undergrad Major was Political Science. Also received my JD
No GRE taken
Experience/research: 6 years as a healthcare attorney; 1 year as an in house counsel for a large hospital system. I didn't have any research experience nor did I take any PH courses.
Letters of Rec:
1. Colleague
2. Grad School Mentor
3. Work Boss
Applied: UNC Chapel Hill MPH, GWU MPH, Cornell Exec MPH, Michigan Exec MPH, NYU, Dartmouth Exec MPH, Yale Exec MPH Columbia Exec MPH and Harvard Generalist
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill ($), GWU ($), Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia and Harvard ($$)
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Dartmouth
Attending: Harvard
Undergraduate School/School type: Top HBCU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/? I have no idea it's been awhile since undergrad
Graduate GPA: Also have no idea. I attended law school and it didn't follow the traditional grading rubric
Major/minor: Undergrad Major was Political Science. Also received my JD
No GRE taken
Experience/research: 6 years as a healthcare attorney; 1 year as an in house counsel for a large hospital system. I didn't have any research experience nor did I take any PH courses.
Letters of Rec:
1. Colleague
2. Grad School Mentor
3. Work Boss
Applied: UNC Chapel Hill MPH, GWU MPH, Cornell Exec MPH, Michigan Exec MPH, NYU, Dartmouth Exec MPH, Yale Exec MPH Columbia Exec MPH and Harvard Generalist
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill ($), GWU ($), Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia and Harvard ($$)
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Dartmouth
Attending: Harvard
Go with the cheaper option, unless you have a very specific research interest at BU. Boston is so expensive and BU even charges more per credit for the MPH than even MSW degree at the school. It doesn’t matter where you get the MPH to large degree, more what skills you get out. Employers know that students with little public health experience go to BU and other cheaper schools, you’re learning the same material really, it's how you market what you learned.Accepted to BU with a 25% scholarship!!
That concludes my application cycle. Now to make a decision...
BU has poor class availability for in-person classes, not a positive atmosphere for students, definitely a cash grab as you disappear once they’ve gotten your tuition dollars!
Thank you for this!! I am not really considering going to BU now, as I believe there's no way I will be able to afford the cost of living in Boston. Currently, I am leaning heavily towards Hopkins as it is my cheapest option and well known for epidemiology!Go with the cheaper option, unless you have a very specific research interest at BU. Boston is so expensive and BU even charges more per credit for the MPH than even MSW degree at the school. It doesn’t matter where you get the MPH to large degree, more what skills you get out. Employers know that students with little public health experience go to BU and other cheaper schools, you’re learning the same material really, it's how you market what you learned.
BU has poor class availability for in-person classes, not a positive atmosphere for students, definitely a cash grab as you disappear once they’ve gotten your tuition dollars!
I am between UC Berkeley and Emory but leaning more towards UC Berkeley due to its location tbh. Emory has given me more scholarships and also a REAL award which financially makes it possible to attend there. But UC Berkeley has given me very little amount of money but they told me they are confident about providing more funding to me after the enrollment deadline. It seems too risky for me and I have no idea what to do right now. What would you recommend to me?
I would talk with students at Berkeley and see if the school promises things that they can not deliver . . . sounds kid of odd they want you to accept and then get funding, sounds a little bit shady. It's all personal choice if there is a region of the country that would make your attendance a negative, personally I think Emory is a great school and I'd go there, but everybody has a different need and opinion for sure, usually makes sense to go with the cheaper option. If you're set on Berkely they talk with them more about when students get funding, and maybe explain that your decision between them and Emory comes down to funding and that you'd want to see it before enrolling.I am between UC Berkeley and Emory but leaning more towards UC Berkeley due to its location tbh. Emory has given me more scholarships and also a REAL award which financially makes it possible to attend there. But UC Berkeley has given me very little amount of money but they told me they are confident about providing more funding to me after the enrollment deadline. It seems too risky for me and I have no idea what to do right now. What would you recommend to me?
Definitely JHU is a great school! Tons of research and a proven history of public health, and not too far away from D.C. if you'd want to network some there.Thank you for this!! I am not really considering going to BU now, as I believe there's no way I will be able to afford the cost of living in Boston. Currently, I am leaning heavily towards Hopkins as it is my cheapest option and well known for epidemiology!
Thank you! This really helped.I would talk with students at Berkeley and see if the school promises things that they can not deliver . . . sounds kid of odd they want you to accept and then get funding, sounds a little bit shady. It's all personal choice if there is a region of the country that would make your attendance a negative, personally I think Emory is a great school and I'd go there, but everybody has a different need and opinion for sure, usually makes sense to go with the cheaper option. If you're set on Berkely they talk with them more about when students get funding, and maybe explain that your decision between them and Emory comes down to funding and that you'd want to see it before enrolling.
Undergraduate School/School type: 2 Canadian Undergraduate degrees
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.48
Major/minor: 1. Health Science 2. Nursing
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.37
Grad studies (if applicable): Medical Ethics and Law
GRE(including date taken): n/a
Experience/research:
Capstone Undergrad
Masters Dissertation
Student Council Representative in both undergraduate degrees
National Board Member on student association focusing on research and education
Research student of advancing senior care
Volunteer on ethics committee
Current registered nurse- pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, adjudication, correctional nursing
Letters of Rec:
3 Professors from undergrad
Interests:
Health policy, health administration, healthcare management, ethics in healthcare
Applied: Dartmouth MPH- online, Harvard MBE, John Hopkins MBE/MSPH/MPH (online), Columbia MHA, Northwestern MPH, Boston U- MPH- Health Management, University of Minnesota- Public Admin and Policy, University of Toronto-MPH SBS, Brown- MPH, UPenn-MPH
Accepted: Boston U ($$), JHU- MPH, Dartmouth ($$), Columbia, University of Minnesota
Rejected: JHU- MSPH and JHU MBE, UPenn, Brown
Waitlisted: Northwestern, NYU
Attending: Dartmouth MPH
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.48
Major/minor: 1. Health Science 2. Nursing
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.37
Grad studies (if applicable): Medical Ethics and Law
GRE(including date taken): n/a
Experience/research:
Capstone Undergrad
Masters Dissertation
Student Council Representative in both undergraduate degrees
National Board Member on student association focusing on research and education
Research student of advancing senior care
Volunteer on ethics committee
Current registered nurse- pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, adjudication, correctional nursing
Letters of Rec:
3 Professors from undergrad
Interests:
Health policy, health administration, healthcare management, ethics in healthcare
Applied: Dartmouth MPH- online, Harvard MBE, John Hopkins MBE/MSPH/MPH (online), Columbia MHA, Northwestern MPH, Boston U- MPH- Health Management, University of Minnesota- Public Admin and Policy, University of Toronto-MPH SBS, Brown- MPH, UPenn-MPH
Accepted: Boston U ($$), JHU- MPH, Dartmouth ($$), Columbia, University of Minnesota
Rejected: JHU- MSPH and JHU MBE, UPenn, Brown
Waitlisted: Northwestern, NYU
Attending: Dartmouth MPH
damselnostress
Full Member
Is Harvard's SM 80 in global health worth 80k in debt? or would it be a safer option to go for Columbia's MPH-HPM instead? Employment after graduation is my priority as I am an international student and even Columbia's expenses are going to be the same more or less. April 15th is just a couple of days away and I am freaking out! Any insights would be really appreciated!!!
Many schools set their deadline for deposits for 4/15 which is super soon. You also are unlikely to get funding this late (for some schools, there are priority deadlines for funding). What about looking at programs where you could start in January 2023 or May 2023?Hi Everyone, could anyone provide insight if they think it's too late to apply for Fall 2022? I know some schools deadlines have not passed yet I'm just wondering what my chances are
Today I received an email and was offered to have 100% of my tuition covered at the University of Michigan! With this being my top choice, I am feeling eternally grateful and have accepted my offer there! The past few weeks have been very tough trying to make a decision because I knew that Michigan was my perfect fit but I just could not afford it, so I cannot even put my happiness into words.
After declining my offers from other wonderful schools, I hope this opens up more scholarship and admission opportunities for others! I am so thankful to all of you for offering your own advice/insight throughout this grueling process. You are all so deserving and will excel in your graduate studies, I wish you all the best of luck!
After declining my offers from other wonderful schools, I hope this opens up more scholarship and admission opportunities for others! I am so thankful to all of you for offering your own advice/insight throughout this grueling process. You are all so deserving and will excel in your graduate studies, I wish you all the best of luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just accepted my offer at U of M too!! Hopefully, I'll see you in the fall! What's your concentration?Today I received an email and was offered to have 100% of my tuition covered at the University of Michigan! With this being my top choice, I am feeling eternally grateful and have accepted my offer there! The past few weeks have been very tough trying to make a decision because I knew that Michigan was my perfect fit but I just could not afford it, so I cannot even put my happiness into words.
After declining my offers from other wonderful schools, I hope this opens up more scholarship and admission opportunities for others! I am so thankful to all of you for offering your own advice/insight throughout this grueling process. You are all so deserving and will excel in your graduate studies, I wish you all the best of luck!
Thats so exciting, congrats!! Im in Environmental Health Sciences on the Industrial Hygiene track, what is your concentration? See you in the fall!!🙂I just accepted my offer at U of M too!! Hopefully, I'll see you in the fall! What's your concentration?
see y'all in ann arbor in the fall! i just accepted my offer as well (global health epi)Thats so exciting, congrats!! Im in Environmental Health Sciences on the Industrial Hygiene track, what is your concentration? See you in the fall!!🙂
I'm in HBHE!Thats so exciting, congrats!! Im in Environmental Health Sciences on the Industrial Hygiene track, what is your concentration? See you in the fall!!🙂
Congratulations!! Did you ever hear from UofT?Undergraduate School/School type: 2 Canadian Undergraduate degrees
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.48
Major/minor: 1. Health Science 2. Nursing
Grad GPA (if applicable): 3.37
Grad studies (if applicable): Medical Ethics and Law
GRE(including date taken): n/a
Experience/research:
Capstone Undergrad
Masters Dissertation
Student Council Representative in both undergraduate degrees
National Board Member on student association focusing on research and education
Research student of advancing senior care
Volunteer on ethics committee
Current registered nurse- pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, adjudication, correctional nursing
Letters of Rec:
3 Professors from undergrad
Interests:
Health policy, health administration, healthcare management, ethics in healthcare
Applied: Dartmouth MPH- online, Harvard MBE, John Hopkins MBE/MSPH/MPH (online), Columbia MHA, Northwestern MPH, Boston U- MPH- Health Management, University of Minnesota- Public Admin and Policy, University of Toronto-MPH SBS, Brown- MPH, UPenn-MPH
Accepted: Boston U ($$), JHU- MPH, Dartmouth ($$), Columbia, University of Minnesota
Rejected: JHU- MSPH and JHU MBE, UPenn, Brown
Waitlisted: Northwestern, NYU
Attending: Dartmouth MPH
If anyone has questions about Emory, I can help. I'm actually graduating this week!
resispaloquitur
New Member
I'm so happy to see there will be another attorney at Harvard! Though I suppose I can't actually call myself an attorney yet . . . (I graduate law school in a few weeks and will take the CA bar in July before starting Harvard in August).Since I've submitted my deposit I figured I would put my stats. Since I'm a more non-traditional student and my cycle was all over the place I hope this is helpful for someone! If anything my cycle shows that after work experience your undergrad GPA (or even grad GPA) matters less and less. I would say write a compelling personal statement. I got 4 comments from admissions counselors regarding my personal statement saying it was well written and made them cry.
Undergraduate School/School type: Top HBCU
Undergrad GPA/Major GPA: 3.1/? I have no idea it's been awhile since undergrad
Graduate GPA: Also have no idea. I attended law school and it didn't follow the traditional grading rubric
Major/minor: Undergrad Major was Political Science. Also received my JD
No GRE taken
Experience/research: 6 years as a healthcare attorney; 1 year as an in house counsel for a large hospital system. I didn't have any research experience nor did I take any PH courses.
Letters of Rec:
1. Colleague
2. Grad School Mentor
3. Work Boss
Applied: UNC Chapel Hill MPH, GWU MPH, Cornell Exec MPH, Michigan Exec MPH, NYU, Dartmouth Exec MPH, Yale Exec MPH Columbia Exec MPH and Harvard Generalist
Accepted: UNC Chapel Hill ($), GWU ($), Cornell, Michigan, NYU, Columbia and Harvard ($$)
Rejected: Yale
Waitlisted: Dartmouth
Attending: Harvard
Will you be attending in person?
travel_esq
New Member
I won't be, but definitely inbox me if you need any bar studying tips. The next two months will be hell but the relief you feel when you're done will be well worth it!I'm so happy to see there will be another attorney at Harvard! Though I suppose I can't actually call myself an attorney yet . . . (I graduate law school in a few weeks and will take the CA bar in July before starting Harvard in August).
Will you be attending in person?
Congrats!! Here is the JHU discord link: Join the JHU BSPH: Fall 2022 Class Discord Server!
Do you mind posting this link again? It has expired! Thank you!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
tessarhodes
New Member
hello! Much to my surprise, i applied at the last possible date for NYU global mph and recently was accepted with a 40k scholarship. I am wondering if anyone has attempted to ask their programs for more scholarship funds and if they were successful in doing so. I already feel so lucky to have almost half the cost of the program covered, however it wouldn't hurt to ask for more funding.
ayyatayyat
New Member
I am applying to MPH and MSPH... Will the admissions committee ding my application if my recommenders mention MPH when I’m applying to a MSPH program?
Nicole Brown
New Member
What are your stats if you don't mind? I recently applied.Accepted into Harvard's 45 Generalist program! Never thought I would get in. Definitely goes to show apply even when you don't think you will get it.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 9K
- Replies
- 103
- Views
- 37K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K