MPH / MSPH 2022: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone! I received a scholarship package from Michigan which said "you have been selected to receive a scholarship valued at 25% tuition only for a total of four terms". Do you all think this means the scholarship is covering 25% or I am only paying 25% tuition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I apologize if this has already been posted but I couldn’t find an answer on a simple search.
Is there a groupme or discord that has been created for accepted students at Berkeley? Would love to join if so, thanks in advance!
Also wondering this, I’d love to connect with anyone accepted to Berkeley! My concentration is Health and Social Behavior, and I’m from the Seattle area :)

Hi everyone! I received a scholarship package from Michigan which said "you have been selected to receive a scholarship valued at 25% tuition only for a total of four terms". Do you all think this means the scholarship is covering 25% or I am only paying 25% tuition?
scholarship valued at 25% tuition would mean you are responsible for the other 75%.

Reactions: 1 user
They will cover 25%

Nope, I haven't heard back yet. I emailed the program administrator to see if decisions had gone out yet, but I haven't received a response.
I emailed as well and was told that decisions have gone out. They'll tell you if you were waitlisted & stuff. The woman I emailed was very kind. Her email was at the bottom of the application email so it might have been the same one you used but if not:

If you have any questions about the program or application please contact Eve Rose, MCH Certificate Administrator,
at [email protected]. We look forward to receiving your application.

Did anyone hear back from MS Global Health at Duke after last week's interview?

Last edited:
is march 15 the last day columbia sends outs $$?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone appealed for more aid from a school yet or know when the right time is to do so? I really want to go to Michigan and would accept my offer there if I received more aid, and UIC offered me much more. With the cost of tuition plus the cost of living in Michigan, I would be getting myself into more loans than I had hoped for.

Just got rejected from UNC for epi. A little hurt as I was an in-state applicant, but even more grateful for my Hopkins' acceptance! :giggle:

Just got a 50k scholarship for Yale! Super excited although it definitely is still expensive.

Reactions: 7 users
For those who have gotten into Berkeley, did you receive any follow-up emails during the process? I applied in early September but didn't get a confirmation that they received my application.

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Berkeley HPM? I applied back in November but haven't heard anything back yet.

Just got an email saying I got a 75% tuition scholarship from Michigan! I wasn't even sure I would get accepted into the school let alone a scholarship!

Reactions: 9 users
I have acceptances from LSE (MSc Health Economics), JHU (MHS Global Health Economics) and Tufts (MPH in Epi and Biostats). Any advice on where I should lean?

Rejected from Harvard MPH-45. Email notification today w/ portal update. Honestly, I'm not upset and the closure feels amazing.

Now just waiting to hear from Hopkins re: $$$!

Reactions: 4 users
Rejected from Harvard MPH-45. Email notification today w/ portal update. Honestly, I'm not upset and the closure feels amazing.

Now just waiting to hear from Hopkins re: $$$!
Which program at Hopkins? I received some MTS for the second year with the acceptance but not sure if they still have sth to offer, hope they do lol!

So did anyone hear back from Emory re scholarships? Pretty much everyone apart from them has said something about finances at this point for me (even after emailing).

So did anyone hear back from Emory re scholarships? Pretty much everyone apart from them has said something about finances at this point for me (even after emailing).
They gave out all merit already. Institutional/loans should be out starting this month.

Has anyone appealed for more aid from a school yet or know when the right time is to do so? I really want to go to Michigan and would accept my offer there if I received more aid, and UIC offered me much more. With the cost of tuition plus the cost of living in Michigan, I would be getting myself into more loans than I had hoped for.
people negotiated with michigan (and other programs) last year. i think now is a good time to negotiate. it seems like they offer in increments of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, but there might be other increments in between

Same, rejected from MPH-45 at Harvard. (knew it was a long shot!) Now still waiting on Yale and JH MSPH scholarship info to determine my fate...

Hey! Did anyone hear back from the Harvard Data Science MS program? My friend applied but she did not hear back yet.

Hi all! I applied during last year's SOPHAS cycle, but will be joining all the JHU folks this year for the full-time MPH program. :soexcited:

SDN was a place of support for me and I was fortunate to meet awesome people who helped me through my cycle. As folks make their school decisions, I would like to pay-it-forward and offer to answer questions about:
  • School decisions (particularly if deciding between JHU, Columbia, BU, UPenn, UC Davis)
  • Scholarship funding/negotiations
Regarding funding I will say that if you are strategic and make a case for yourself, you will be surprised to learn some schools have some wiggle room. You can use offers from other schools to make a stronger case for your top choice. I found the most generous schools to be Yale and BU, and the more stringent to be Columbia.

Again, congratulations on everyone's acceptances!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
people negotiated with michigan (and other programs) last year. i think now is a good time to negotiate. it seems like they offer in increments of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, but there might be other increments in between
Thank you for the info! I have a meeting scheduled with the program director tomorrow to discuss my financial situation, so hopefully he can provide some more insight as well!

Last edited:
Long shot but have anyone here heard of any successful Harvard scholarship/grant reconsideration?

• Dislike
Does anyone know if the GW MPH is in-person or virtual because of COVID?

Hi all! I applied during last year's SOPHAS cycle, but will be joining all the JHU folks this year for the full-time MPH program. :soexcited:

SDN was a place of support for me and I was fortunate to meet awesome people who helped me through my cycle. As folks make their school decisions, I would like to pay-it-forward and offer to answer questions about:
  • School decisions (particularly if deciding between JHU, Columbia, BU, UPenn, UC Davis)
  • Scholarship funding/negotiations
Regarding funding I will say that if you are strategic and make a case for yourself, you will be surprised to learn some schools have some wiggle room. You can use offers from other schools to make a stronger case for your top choice. I found the most generous schools to be Yale and BU, and the more stringent to be Columbia.

Again, congratulations on everyone's acceptances!
Thank you for the helpful information! When you say Yale was one of the most generous schools, do you means in terms of negotiating funding or their initial funding offers?

What does appealing for more aid mean exactly? What does one say if they want to appeal and who would we typically contact to do so?

I have acceptances from LSE (MSc Health Economics), JHU (MHS Global Health Economics) and Tufts (MPH in Epi and Biostats). Any advice on where I should lean?
The program in LSE is more like "Health Policy" actually. You have to do a lot of reading and should know some mediate level economics. From my point, JHU is more suitable as you have the freedom to choose a lot of different courses as you want (up to 22 credits each term).

If you really like HEOR or health econ, York or Sheffield is a better choice.

I have applied to the same program in LSE but heard nothing yet.

Finally got admitted to Emory. But I guess too late for any scholarships it sounds like :(

How long after an acceptance can you typically expect to hear about funding? I received acceptances from Tufts and Temple a few weeks ago and have not heard anything about funding, does this mean I'm not getting any money from either school or does it take longer?

Thank you for the helpful information! When you say Yale was one of the most generous schools, do you means in terms of negotiating funding or their initial funding offers?

I would say initial funding offers

What does appealing for more aid mean exactly? What does one say if they want to appeal and who would we typically contact to do so?

The person you contact varies per school. Sometimes it’s a program manager, other times a school will have someone who handles scholarships. I would ask your program who the best person would be to contact.

Oh and to clarify, I am speaking specifically about appealing for merit scholarships, and not financial aid (based on your FAFSA)!

I emailed the schools I was still deciding on and shared my gratitude on the acceptance but that affording graduate education was a concern. I used an offer from School A to make a case for myself and asked if there was any way for School B to match it. I briefly summarized why School A was my top choice and how I would contribute to their program as a student there.

Reactions: 2 users
How long after an acceptance can you typically expect to hear about funding? I received acceptances from Tufts and Temple a few weeks ago and have not heard anything about funding, does this mean I'm not getting any money from either school or does it take longer?

The timeline for financial aid packages and merit scholarships generally vary. You can try asking your specific program(s) when to expect some decision. I wouldn’t discount yourself just yet if you’re still waiting to hear back since FAFSA is due this month.

Same goes for merit scholarships, since scholarship committees can review apps on a rolling basis or are waiting for people who they’ve offered money to accept their admission. I feel like scholarship money shifts around the most after the acceptance deadline haha.

The person you contact varies per school. Sometimes it’s a program manager, other times a school will have someone who handles scholarships. I would ask your program who the best person would be to contact.

Oh and to clarify, I am speaking specifically about appealing for merit scholarships, and not financial aid (based on your FAFSA)!

I emailed the schools I was still deciding on and shared my gratitude on the acceptance but that affording graduate education was a concern. I used an offer from School A to make a case for myself and asked if there was any way for School B to match it. I briefly summarized why School A was my top choice and how I would contribute to their program as a student there.
That’s super helpful, thank you!

Not sure about Temple but I was accepted to Tufts first week of January and still haven't heard about financial aid (I've already put down my deposit at another school at this point). But I saw on last year's thread that they were only able to give scholarships to two students.

anyone here has historical success in outside scholarships? I’ve got a plan to apply to a bunch

Do you think Columbia would release final acceptance/rejections by the end of this week?