MPH Or MS Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homer101

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me. Alot of public health schools offer MPH degrees as well as a MS degree. I want to know what is the difference between the two because to me MS in Epi or a MPH in Epi look very similar? Any thoughts about what is the difference between the two, and career wise whats a better pick? Specially if you want to work in the non-profit sector with UNICEF, WHO, CARE. Does one look better on the resume than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

Homer101 said:
Hi guys,
I was wondering if someone can clear this up for me. Alot of public health schools offer MPH degrees as well as a MS degree. I want to know what is the difference between the two because to me MS in Epi or a MPH in Epi look very similar? Any thoughts about what is the difference between the two, and career wise whats a better pick? Specially if you want to work in the non-profit sector with UNICEF, WHO, CARE. Does one look better on the resume than the other?

This is what I have been told repeatedly. MPH (Master's in public health) is the professional degree for public health - it's somewhat of a "right of passage", and many job positions suggest that an MPH is the appropriate degree. MPHs are more applied, so they give you a fundamental background in all of public health, although you might get your MPH specifically in epidemiology. MS (or MSPH) are more research oriented. They are good for setting you up for an academic career, but it is also somewhat understood that you'll go on for a PhD (or at least a research-oriented position). Some schools offer a doctorate in PH (DrPH), which is equivalent to a PhD but it is also considered a professional degree (like the MPH, it's more applied).

I have heard, but I don't know if it's true, that MPH's are prefered in public health circles if you are going into government or NGO's. Also, at schools that offer both, you might be able to detect differences in the course requirements or thesis/exam options.

hello everyone,
i am a medical graduate from india.. i'll be taking my USMLE steps soon. i want to pursue psychiatry, and because of visa problems for fmg's i'm wanting to take a graduate course in health and behavioural sciences(health promotion sciences) for which both MS/MPH courses are available.. since i want to pursue an MD eventually, what is good for me?
please guide.. :)