MS-III looking into anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buela

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...let's see I'm post-call on surgery and doing my first posting, so here we go. I've seen some of the responses people send so please try to remember I only slept an hour last night.

I'm curious about suggestions for anesthesia programs. From living on both coasts and in the midwest, knowing my personality and interests and being deeply (deeply) in debt from a private med school/undergrad loans, I'm looking to avoid big city living (Boston, NY, DC, all of Cali). I'd like to be somewhere I might be able to buy a house/condo and not have to take out additional loans to survive on a residents salary. Of course reputation of a program is great, but it's definitely not everything. I'd much rather go where people get along, work hard, and enjoy the place they devote so much time to than one where people like to "pull it out and compare length and girth" (so to speak).

Also, if anyone has any input on Gen Surgery at these same places that would be great. We're couples matching.

Anybody know anything about programs in the Carolinas, CO, NM, UT, OR, WA....Chicago, Texas, MI....

I've got places to stay in Seattle, Denver and New Mexico for externships this fall. I've heard rumors of UW being "malignant." I wasn't all that impressed by the vibe I got there on my med school interview.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Buela
......being deeply (deeply) in debt from a private med school/undergrad loans, I'm looking to avoid big city living. I'd like to be somewhere I might be able to buy a house/condo and not have to take out additional loans to survive on a residents salary.

Are you sure you meant to include Chicago in your list of potential options??? As of 2002, Chi has the 3rd highest cost of living behind San Fran (#1) and New York (#2)....... :)