MS in Chemistry at CCNY instead of a postbac aimed at premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Is an MS in Chemistry a good substitute for a postbac program? I'll only have to pay $7k a year instead of 25-30k. If so, should I bother doing the thesis? (copying and pasting the description since I can't post links yet) I'm thinking of doing this at City College New York. I also LOVE organic chemistry and labwork and I'm a huuuuge nerd when it comes to visualizing quantum chemistry. Also, if I can't get into med school, I'm not totally screwed over for having paid for a postbac that is basically useless outside of the med school admission track.

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Chemistry students earn their M.S. degree after completing a total of 30 credits. They must take the 2 required courses, Chem B1000 and B5000, worth 5 credits each, and any combination of electives for 20 credits.

Comprehensive Examination
A comprehensive examination is required of all students except those who have completed a thesis. The comprehensive examination includes material from any undergraduate course, plus Chem B1000 and Chem B5000.

Thesis
Those who choose to do the thesis must have a mentor to guide their research and 2 additional faculty members to serve on their thesis committee. The research topic must be approved by the Graduate Committee. The research must be completed in two years from the initial date of registration for thesis research, continuing registration until completed.

Thesis Research is offered as Chem B9901-B9905. Masters students choosing to do a thesis will take 20 credits from the courses listed below and 10 credits of B9901-B9905.

CURRICULUM
Required Courses
B1000: Inorganic Chemistry
B5000: Organic Mechanisms

Elective Courses
A1100: Environmental Chemistry
A1101: Environmental Chemistry Lab
A1200: Environmental Organic Chemistry
A1400: Chemical Information Sources
A8200: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar I
A8300: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar II
B3000: Polymer Chemistry or CHEM 73000
B5100: Organic Synthesis or CHEM 75100
B5200: Spectroscopy and Structure Proof in Organic Chemistry or CHEM 79002
B6000: Quantum Chemistry or CHEM 76000
B8900: Introduction to Research Methodology
B9100: Basic Lab Techniques or CHEM 79001

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's also the MS in Biochemistry, in which I would have to take Physical Chemistry II this fall as a non-matriculated student (it's MWF T__T) to qualify entering into the Biochemistry MS as opposed to just regular Chemistry. Which is better? I am 90% sure I can't afford paying for an SMP/postbac aimed at premeds out of pocket.

Required Courses
Chem A8005: Biochemistry II
BICM 71010: Advanced Biochemistry I
BICM 71020: Advanced Biochemistry II
BICM 71110 Research Techniques in Biochemistry

Two of the following four:
BICM 72010 Basic Seminar in Biochemistry I
BICM 72020 Basic Seminar in Biochemistry II
BICM 81000 Seminar in Biochemistry (1cr.)
Chem B9800 Seminar in Biochemistry (1cr.)

One of the following two:
Chem B5000 Organic Mechanisms
BICM 75000 Bioorganic Chemistry

One of the following two:
BICM 77000 Physical Biochemistry
Phys V3800 Biophysics

Elective Courses
Two approved graduate courses in Biology (one course should be in molecular genetics).

Is an MS in Chemistry a good substitute for a postbac program? I'll only have to pay $7k a year instead of 25-30k. If so, should I bother doing the thesis? (copying and pasting the description since I can't post links yet) I'm thinking of doing this at City College New York. I also LOVE organic chemistry and labwork and I'm a huuuuge nerd when it comes to visualizing quantum chemistry. Also, if I can't get into med school, I'm not totally screwed over for having paid for a postbac that is basically useless outside of the med school admission track.

mistry or CHEM 79002

For DO yes. For MD, no.
Read this:
Goro’s Guide Reinvention for Pre-Meds

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user

DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Chemistry students earn their M.S. degree after completing a total of 30 credits. They must take the 2 required courses, Chem B1000 and B5000, worth 5 credits each, and any combination of electives for 20 credits.

Comprehensive Examination
A comprehensive examination is required of all students except those who have completed a thesis. The comprehensive examination includes material from any undergraduate course, plus Chem B1000 and Chem B5000.

Thesis
Those who choose to do the thesis must have a mentor to guide their research and 2 additional faculty members to serve on their thesis committee. The research topic must be approved by the Graduate Committee. The research must be completed in two years from the initial date of registration for thesis research, continuing registration until completed.

Thesis Research is offered as Chem B9901-B9905. Masters students choosing to do a thesis will take 20 credits from the courses listed below and 10 credits of B9901-B9905.

CURRICULUM
Required Courses
B1000: Inorganic Chemistry
B5000: Organic Mechanisms

Elective Courses
A1100: Environmental Chemistry
A1101: Environmental Chemistry Lab
A1200: Environmental Organic Chemistry
A1400: Chemical Information Sources
A8200: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar I
A8300: Chemistry-Physics-Engineering Seminar II
B3000: Polymer Chemistry or CHEM 73000
B5100: Organic Synthesis or CHEM 75100
B5200: Spectroscopy and Structure Proof in Organic Chemistry or CHEM 79002
B6000: Quantum Chemistry or CHEM 76000
B8900: Introduction to Research Methodology
B9100: Basic Lab Techniques or CHEM 79001

If you can be a teaching assistant (or similar position), they will pay you instead of you paying them. Grad schools are always looking for TA's to teach/proctor their large service classes like general chemistry and organic chemistry. Also, you get a chance at teaching and you will find that you learn the material better when you teach it.