MS1 Summer Research Opportunities - help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scramblase

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,


I am torn between two opportunities for summer 2019 (summer after MS1) and don’t know which one to pick. I am currently studying at a Canadian medical school.


Option #1: Research at my medical school under a prof who specialises in rheumatology. My medical school offers a grant of $3K for this 2-month research program. The good thing about this option is that I can continue this project into the fall of MS2 and hopefully get published eventually. The $3K grant will be recorded on my MSPR.


Option #2: I got accepted into a research exchange program with IFMSA. The opportunity is in Sweden where I will do a 1-month research exchange. I really want to have some fun during my summer and this seemed like a good balance of visiting a country + doing research. However, the con is that realistically this 1-month exchange would not be fruitful in terms of getting pubs and I won’t have the option of continuing research once I come back to my home university in MS2. Not sure if this IFMSA exchange will be recorded on my MSPR but I guess I can put it on my CV? The cost is $800 registration fees + plane ticket.


Which one do you guys recommend? Any thoughts?


I am still unsure of which speciality I want to do, but I lack research experience and I want to get some research experience under my belt (hopefully with a few pubs by the end of medical school).