MS4-- Externships in SE & Uncertainty Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheers2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS4 who is interested in Anesthesia, but lacking any mentors in class above me who went in to it. Hoping some of you could share some wisdom.

I enjoyed a lot of my rotations during third year (Surg, IM, OB, Peds) but didn't necessarily find one that felt like a fit. Many suggested I'd like Anesthesia, so I scheduled it for my second block, which I'm currently in 2nd week of (spent first block studying Step 2s). My (albeit limited) experience has not really shed any light on my decision. I am with an anesthesiologist at an outpatient surgery center, thus have and will mostly be doing IVs and intubations only. I feel like I'd like to get more of an idea of hospital setting/ more diversity before essentially putting all my eggs in my Anesthesia basket, via dropping all other Externships and doing Anesthesia away only. My dean suggested I do my last 2 weeks Inpatient, with a different attending. I'm not sure if this will perturb my current attending and hurt my chances of getting a good LoR. But, we currently spend 75% of time in his office, just talking. I asked about getting to do epidurals or other experiences, and he brushed it off and said that people always felt ambulatory was sufficient.
IM, which will be my next rotation, is probably my second choice at this point. I ultimately could apply to both until I have a better feel. But with scheduling probably couldn't do away elective in both, and really would like that experience. Hence the urgency of changing next week or sticking it out with outpatient. Do you think getting switched to inpatient is reasonable/wise?

Lastly, any advice on doing an away at UNC vs Duke vs George Washington? I looked on scutwork. Any other good resources? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.