MS4 from wake forest in HOT water!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Med students; don't be that student. That student could be dismissed for this. A few years ago a Touro-NY grad was kicked out of her residency program for having a pre-medical school post history of anti-Semitic comments and even joking about how she'd give the wrong medicine to Jews.

Don’t be that student, cos its a f’ing ****ty thing to do.

You have complete control over their lives while they are in the hospital.
From what they eat, what meds they get, to whether they can get out of bed.

Don’t take abuse, but have to allow for the fact that a vast majority of pts are not as well-versed in these issues (or more likely are not on board with it)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone who cares deeply about trans rights and healthcare, it's awful to see those values corrupted and used to hurt patients who don't share those views (or bragging about it for clout even if the incident didn't occur as described). I'm a member of the LGBTQ+ community and if patients are homophobic, racist, sexist, nazis, rapists, pedophiles, whatever, they're still patients who deserve respect and access to care.

As for the appropriate punishment, I think she needs time away from medicine, and exposure to people from different backgrounds. To be allowed back, rigorous examination of professionalism and maturity. Hope she can grow out of it. If not, medicine's not for her. Politics could be a better fit...

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Don’t hold your breath. I would be shocked if we ever find out what happened unless a lawsuit is filed. Schools are very rigid on not disclosing the results of disciplinary proceedings even when legally permitted
Under normal circumstances I think you are right, but the reason I see this as something different is because the reputation of Wake Forest is being publicly attacked due to this circumstance. Since this person is a student at Wake Forest it inevitably reflects very poorly on the school. I think this will be a "save face" kind of situation to minimize collateral damage while regaining trust in the public eye, but let's see.

Members don't see this ad :)
She said the patient had to be stuck a second time. It may or may not have been purposeful.

Either way, this is dumb, nobody cares outside of this tiny little bubble, and once this thread burns out we shall all move on like it never even happened.

Reactions: 1 users
She said the patient had to be stuck a second time. It may or may not have been purposeful.

Either way, this is dumb, nobody cares outside of this tiny little bubble, and once this thread burns out we shall all move on like it never even happened.
You don't see anything wrong with her tweet? Regardless of if the double stick was on purpose or not?

People in the medical community have been fired/dismissed for much less. Eugene gu, students clicking in for a friend at mandatory lectures, uva student. In all these cases, students/residents exhibited bad judgment and or said idiotic things but I don’t think they really had a direct or even indirect impact on patient care

People have been fired/dismissed for much less. Eugene gu, students clicking in for a friend at mandatory lectures, uva student. In all these cases, students/residents exhibited bad judgment and or said idiotic things but I don’t think they really had an impact on patient care
Apples to oranges. Signing in a friend for mandatory lectures would almost certainly violate a specific policy enumerated in the student handbook.

Writing an ambiguous Tweet that expresses some schadenfreude (without violating HIPAA)? Not the brightest move, but I'm sure she'd have no problem finding an attorney.

Someone posted on reddit claiming one of her friends posted on twitter (and shared the screen shot) that she heard the story before it went viral and Kdel called it a "karma-tic." But the moderator took it down, so could be fake or just trying to avoid doxing another student.

So this may be the closest thing to true, regardless crazy she did catch her self. Maybe no intent, but no remorse, and then bragged about

Found it, this is what I was referring to

• Hmm

It's a teaching moment

This is hilarious, that other student's twitter has also been deleted now. It's nice to have a dumpster fire to entertain us during this post-match time.
And the post she was replying to is private now. Was reading the the thread last night. But she went on to say that she would kindly explain to the patient why she thought it was important. I guess she is getting harassed too, but did nothing wrong.

She should be expelled. Sorry, but maliciously harming patients is a hard line where those crossing it shouldn’t be allowed to become doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
  • Wow
NRMP is just a matching service; it's up to Wake and residencies.

Now calm down, because you have to approach this as a medical professional dealing with a patient's report of some symptoms. You have no access to the patient, lab data or her own clinician. Just the tweet

We have two possibilities:

1) The student indeed deliberately hurt the patient in revenge for the anti-trans comment, and bragged about it
2) The student actually missed the vein by accident, but then exulted over having to do a repeat drawn, and bragged about it
3) The student actually missed the vein by accident, but did so because she over-reacted or was flustered by the patient's comment, and this was more like a karma event, rather than actual malice.

Note that the student wrote "I missed his vein and he had to get stuck twice." [icon]

So if it's 1, I'd vote for a dismissal if it were one of my students

If 2) Probably vote for a suspension

If 3) more training on how to deal with people are not like you, and building a thicker skin.

The twitter post is here. I'm left wondering why that's all there is.....I'd like to see the entire thread she posted in, not the repost.

There is also a very real possibility that none of it really happened. A major problem here is that there is really no way to prove which of these things happened. Much of the time when a med student is doing this sort of thing, nobody is right there watching it. Simple procedures like this are often done by med students when they are alone with the patient. I don’t know how the school is supposed to determine whether she actually did such a thing with such an intent.

I personally think that they should just take the comment at face value and expel her. Whether she actually did it or not, the fact that she publicly claimed to is a massive problem on many levels. Even assuming the “best case scenario” where she made it up entirely, the comment still implies that she believes it is somehow just or appropriate to do such a thing. That is not a matter of training. That is a matter of human respect and decency. You don’t train that sort of basic moral orientation. So even in the “best case” for her, I still think it warrants expulsion.

You really can't say anything on the internet these days. Incoming medical students, take this as a warning. Be smarter.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the absolute best case interpretation of that tweet is that the missed first attempt was a genuine miss but she seemed to think the patient deserved that second stick for his comment.

That's actually how I initially interpreted it as well. I agree that suspension is warranted for simple, unprofessional idiocy alone, but expulsion might be a bit too extreme unless intent can be proven. Sort of like the argument against capital punishment. Unless you can prove someone guilty beyond reasonable doubt, should capital punishment be on the table?

This is hilarious, that other student's twitter has also been deleted now. It's nice to have a dumpster fire to entertain us during this post-match time.
My immediate thought in response to that:
1648699099608.png

Unless you can prove someone guilty beyond reasonable doubt
Unfortunately due process isn't nearly thorough in academia. And the threshold is much lower. But when comparing this with capital punishment, rightfully so

The point is that you really shouldn't post anything on social media as someone pursuing medicine. The definition of "normal" internet behavior changes frequently, and what is considered controversial or not will change every couple of months.

The point is that you really shouldn't post anything on social media as someone pursuing medicine. The definition of "normal" internet behavior changes frequently, and what is considered controversial or not will change every couple of months.
Except it really isn’t that subjective and lots of medical professionals use Twitter to share research articles and news and job opportunities.

Except it really isn’t that subjective and lots of medical professionals use Twitter to share research articles and news and job opportunities.
FYI, while this is true (and in fact reading the fine print on my employment contract, apparently I'm REQUIRED to build an online social media presence... wonder if this counts...) the calculus is different between a faculty member and a student. Given that nobody is going to take what a med student has to say very seriously, there is just very marginal benefit to saying anything on social media. Furthermore, if you DO choose to post on social media, then you really should restrict it to clearly academic things like your suggestions (research articles, etc).

Reactions: 4 users
Wow. Goes to show just how pathological these leftist virtue signalers have become. You would have to both see yourself as supremely righteous while also seeing the patient as inherently evil and even subhuman to think this was a good thing to post. I suppose in her mind she didn’t stick a human being an extra time, but rather stuck a bigot/transphobe/racist/privileged man and clearly that’s ok, right? His intersectional value score was too low to be afforded basic decency and compassion.

I think this is a mindset that must be ripped out of medicine by the roots, and I look forward to her threads about how wake forest is racist for expelling her and how she plans to sue them. I also saw somewhere that she was/is interested in ENT so I have even stronger feelings about showing her the door. Please lord don’t make me ever have to listen to her give a talk somewhere. No CME is worth that.

• Love
  • Okay...
Reactions: 14 users
NRMP is just a matching service; it's up to Wake and residencies.

Now calm down, because you have to approach this as a medical professional dealing with a patient's report of some symptoms. You have no access to the patient, lab data or her own clinician. Just the tweet

We have two possibilities:

1) The student indeed deliberately hurt the patient in revenge for the anti-trans comment, and bragged about it
2) The student actually missed the vein by accident, but then exulted over having to do a repeat drawn, and bragged about it
3) The student actually missed the vein by accident, but did so because she over-reacted or was flustered by the patient's comment, and this was more like a karma event, rather than actual malice.

Note that the student wrote "I missed his vein and he had to get stuck twice." [icon]

So if it's 1, I'd vote for a dismissal if it were one of my students

If 2) Probably vote for a suspension

If 3) more training on how to deal with people are not like you, and building a thicker skin.

The twitter post is here. I'm left wondering why that's all there is.....I'd like to see the entire thread she posted in, not the repost.

It’s obvious in the context of the tweet that it was 1 or 2 right? Seriously this childish idiot got that mad about a patient? Patients say stupid **** all the time. Actually, clients, customers, etc say stupid **** in every field. Maybe she’s never had a job before?

It’s obvious in the context of the tweet that it was 1 or 2 right? Seriously this childish idiot got that mad about a patient? Patients say stupid **** all the time. Actually, clients, customers, etc say stupid **** in every field. Maybe she’s never had a job before?
on top of that, this is going to be one of the least stupid things a patient says to her during her career, so how will she react when a patient says something even more egregious?

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Looks legit

I’m curious if I just rotated in an inner city hospital that was the Wild West compared to most other places because that description of the situation sounded absolutely fake to me. Are med schools really scrutinizing med students to the point that every missed blood draw has a paper trail now?

When I was a med student, most of the time
I was sent to do this type of stuff on my own. My residents and attendings on anesthesia would just tell me to go place an IV on patients in the PACU while they did whatever. People were around to help if I asked for it, but it wasn’t like someone was hovering over me and documenting what the hell happened. I also got sent in to drop NG tubes on my own. I had a pediatric surgeon scrub out of a procedure and leave me to suture skin with only the scrub nurse and the anesthesiologists in the room. I’m not necessarily saying any of this was ideal, but the idea that there was direct observation or even documentation of a damn blood draw seems kinda crazy to me.

Maybe the role of med students has continued to decline even since I graduated like five years ago.

All things considered, this is a slap on the wrist. Totally misguided and irresponsible action on her part, so she should consider herself lucky that a short leave of absence is all she received.

Sounds like Wake has handled it appropriately so far, and she is extremely lucky she wasn’t expelled outright. The LOA is a given since trying to match this year with this stuff coming up high in her Google search would be a non starter. Selfishly I’m glad this will probably be the end of any ENT career for her unless Wake’s department absolutely loves her.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Fox has been featuring this prominently and I suspect we will eventually get the patient in question to speak publicly and possibly even press charges. The Woke underestimate how much people can’t stand them, even relatively left leaning people like me, and this story plays nicely into the political narrative thus far.

• Love
Fox has been featuring this prominently and I suspect we will eventually get the patient in question to speak publicly and possibly even press charges.
Honestly, I doubt the patient knows it is him, it happened weeks ago and was probably something he forgot about immediately after. I think it might be hard to connect the dots. But it sounds like the school knows who the patient is, so I wonder if they will feel obligated to contact him.
The Woke underestimate how much people can’t stand them, even relatively left leaning people like me, and this story plays nicely into the political narrative thus far.
And look at the replies to Wake's resent tweets, they are getting harassed. They had to to do something quickly.

What an idiotic thing to say online

They didn’t even address the fact that she got personal enjoyment from the patient having to be stuck again. It’s not even just about whether or not her missing was an accident or on purpose but also that she got joy out of it happening because she disagreed with his comments. Absolutely wild. She’s lucky cause this is basically a slap on the wrist considering she already matched. I still feel like she should have been expelled.

They didn’t even address the fact that she got personal enjoyment from the patient having to be stuck again. It’s not even just about whether or not her missing was an accident or on purpose but also that she got joy out of it happening because she disagreed with his comments. Absolutely wild. She’s lucky cause this is basically a slap on the wrist considering she already matched. I still feel like she should have been expelled.
Where you see she matched? Pretty sure rising senior applying for ENT

Even if the school takes no action, her chances for residency might be destroyed, pretty much amounting to the same unhappy ending. Qualified students with NO red flags are already having enough trouble matching.

As a side note, during my last block at work, I took care of a patient with a large swastika and Schutzstaffel tattoo on his chest. I treated him the same I would anyone else. That's what our job entails. For the record, I'm Jewish.

Reactions: 11 users

Per this version, she tried once, and while she shouldn’t have celebrated his misfortune (and even moreso not publicly in twitter) but the patient wasn’t purposefully injured, and didn’t suffer more than anyone else who’s ever had a blood draw from someone new to phlebotomy.

Reactions: 3 users

Per this version, she tried once, and while she shouldn’t have celebrated his misfortune (and even moreso not publicly in twitter) but the patient wasn’t purposefully injured, and didn’t suffer more than anyone else who’s ever had a blood draw from someone new to phlebotomy.
So that makes her egregious public post somehow less egregious? Even if she is given the benefit of the doubt that she lied about this whole thing for publicity and the patient wasn't stuck twice, her true intentions and beliefs have been shown to the world that she can't objectively treat patients without inserting her own biases. I know I don't have to tell you how important it is that we have the public's trust and confidence. We don't need people like her undermining that.

This segment on Tucker Carlson Tonight aired a few hours ago. Since the segment, an individual from the Winston-Salem area has come forward to suggest he was the patient involved in this blood draw. Is there any way to run this by Wake Forest for verification without violating HIPAA? Wake Forest has confirmed they identified the victim.
Segment:

Oh so now BOTH students should be expelled? Why stop there? Expel the whole class.

• Haha
So that makes her egregious public post somehow less egregious? Even if she is given the benefit of the doubt that she lied about this whole thing for publicity and the patient wasn't stuck twice, her true intentions and beliefs have been shown to the world that she can't objectively treat patients without inserting her own biases. I know I don't have to tell you how important it is that we have the public's trust and confidence. We don't need people like her undermining that.
Nope, it’s still egregious. And there should still be repercussions. Wasn’t defending the post in the slightest, just saying it’s not actually assault & battery, which was alluded to earlier in the thread. It’s, at best, a very poor taste joke about “karma’s a *****” (still not okay), and at worst, an illustration on lack of objectivity and empathy, like you said.

Sounds like Wake has handled it appropriately so far, and she is extremely lucky she wasn’t expelled outright. The LOA is a given since trying to match this year with this stuff coming up high in her Google search would be a non starter. Selfishly I’m glad this will probably be the end of any ENT career for her unless Wake’s department absolutely loves her.

It will be interesting to see what happens next. Fox has been featuring this prominently and I suspect we will eventually get the patient in question to speak publicly and possibly even press charges. The Woke underestimate how much people can’t stand them, even relatively left leaning people like me, and this story plays nicely into the political narrative thus far.
I assume the LOA is to get her out of the way while they decide on what to do with her.

• Love
I assume the LOA is to get her out of the way while they decide on what to do with her.
Ya this seems more likely to me as well. I read about a uva student on here who was dismissed and he was placed on an LOA before formal dismissal

Her post alone is indefensible, someone like her does not need to be around patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.