MS4 from wake forest in HOT water!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm really tempted to have this take, because it is really stupid that any news outlet is getting multiple days of content out of a stupid tweet with negligible harm to a patient.
I can agree Fox News is being dumb but it’s not negligible harm and the student made serious ethical and professionalism violations that deserve the harshest punishments, including expulsion. Her apology comes across as insincere and the tone and context of her tweet makes it sound it’s intentional and unsympathetic to the patient. She should not be a physician

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious. Genuine question.

If she returns from LOA and remains in good standing and graduates, can't she consider matching into Pathology where there is no chance of her ever sticking a live patient again?
She should not match at all in any fields regardless of patient contact, and her blatant disrespect to patients whose beliefs she doesn’t agree can translate to her blatant disregard to colleagues and staff with different beliefs. She should not be a physician at any capacity and let’s not sully good fields like pathology by sending her in there

Reactions: 3 users
Any different than their "competitors" painting everyone on the right as racists, is that their "worldview", I suppose it is? Everyone can read the tweet and judge accordingly. Dismiss the Fox News article and make your own opinion. Regardless of how you perceived the media outlet as taking a single "anecdote" and blowing it up, isn't this about what the student tweeted?

Unfortunately, I find people can not stick to the facts, rather, as in your post, you believe that it is fair game to discuss the "source', really, I thought the source was her tweet. I guess Wake Forest thought the same when she was placed on leave?
You just really cannot stand anyone saying anything bad about Fox News. It is my personal opinion, and given that the story and subsequent coverage has stemmed from Fox, it is germane to the discussion. If the story originated from CNN it would be equally fair to point out their biases. But this story did not originate from CNN.

If you actually read my post, I am agreeing with you that the tweet and her actions are inexcusable.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can agree Fox News is being dumb but it’s not negligible harm and the student made serious ethical and professionalism violations that deserve the harshest punishments, including expulsion. Her apology comes across as insincere and the tone and context of her tweet makes it sound it’s intentional and unsympathetic to the patient. She should not be a physician
The "negligible harm" and "serious ethical and professionalism violations" are separate. Objectively speaking, the patient experienced needing to get poked twice for a lab draw, which is the sort of negligible harm that happens all the time. But the actions and motivation that led to the harm, as I have agreed throughout this thread, are inexcusable, and thus expulsion would be a reasonable outcome for the reasons you point out.

Also Fox News can be slammed for being biased but they succeeded in permanently destroying the reputation of the student (and also by extension the school) by making it clear to a significant population of Americans that this student can’t be trusted and will be a danger to patient care. Unfortunately, overall physician reputation also suffers thanks to the idiotic and narcissistic actions of the student. I see no reason to have any sympathy for the student’s behavior and believe she should be expelled and kicked out of medicine.

The "negligible harm" and "serious ethical and professionalism violations" are separate. Objectively speaking, the patient experienced needing to get poked twice for a lab draw, which is the sort of negligible harm that happens all the time. But the actions and motivation that led to the harm, as I have agreed throughout this thread, are inexcusable, and thus expulsion would be a reasonable outcome for the reasons you point out.
It isn’t negligible harm to me because getting poked for a lab draw hurts a lot, even if it’s an accident. I’ve seen nurses in bad mood over personal issues being so poor at blood draws that patients suffer in pain.

Honestly maybe it’s my dislike for cancel culture in general but I’m having a change in heart now that I’ve seen the news jumping all over this story. Could this girl be expelled? Yes. Should she? I would argue there’s no precedent as the Jewish-hatred resident had posts over several years/lied about her termination/etc. Did this really need to make national news and is this girl a threat to the well-being of patients? I don’t truly know the answer to that and am not the one qualified to make that call, but with what we have seen, I do not genuinely think this is a case of someone who has an intrinsic hatred for individuals who hold Anti-Trans viewpoints, but maybe someone who resents their opinions,
made callous comments, and could use a lesson in empathy as a medical provider. I think the best course of action is a suspension for some time with some lessons on how to handle situations when others disagree with your core viewpoints. It will affect her match outcome. She should be allowed the chance to rebound from this. I think unfortunately some people see a hypocrisy/unilateral bias in cancel culture and to be honest, I do think it is employed with a favorable lean towards those on the left. Fox News virtually coined the term cancel culture as a response and now they want to make sure it’s applied both ways (against someone advocating for trans rights who said something out of line). An eye for an eye…

Also for those who discuss the precedent with the girl of Palestinian descent posting that she would give Jewish people the wrong medications, keep in mind she had been posting as an alias for several years and literally said “I will give Jews the wrong medications”.
I don't necessarily disagree with your dissection of the situation, but I think there is more to add. @operaman said it nicely. I think important aspects are her dehumanizing the patient and bringing such negative attention to Wake. These are serious professionalism issues imo. The salient topic should be once again, and everyone say it out loud.. Don't spout off on social media or post unflattering pictures. ...I do wonder what Ms. Del Rosario would think should happen to one of her classmates who did the same to a Trans patient?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
You just really cannot stand anyone saying anything bad about Fox News. It is my personal opinion, and given that the story and subsequent coverage has stemmed from Fox, it is germane to the discussion. If the story originated from CNN it would be equally fair to point out their biases. But this story did not originate from CNN.

If you actually read my post, I am agreeing with you that the tweet and her actions are inexcusable.
Why would I have to, as you so put it, it's your opinion, so why can't it be my opinion that on this occasion, I did not find anything wrong with the piece. So where did you get that I "cannot stand for anyone saying anything bad about Fox." Surely, you did not get that from my posts because I disagree with the fact that the article has no bearing on the facts of what the student did. But, that's how people who don't like opposing views react, they grasp at things that are just not true, as you did in your post when you replied to mine.

BTW, this thread should be about the actions of the med student, not how one feels about the article, unless the piece was proven to be false.

Yeah I'm really tempted to have this take, because it is really stupid that any news outlet is getting multiple days of content out of a stupid tweet with negligible harm to a patient.

I’d also be careful what we quantify as negligible harm as well. Having a rare disease when I was a young girl led to me getting blood drawn about 3x a week for 2 weeks. Most of the time it was fine but one of the times the nurse missed the vein 3 times and demanded more chances before my dad became furious and demanded another nurse.

That one event led to a life long phobia of needles and I still get panic attacks when I have to give blood, albeit it’s much better than it used to be. We don’t know the circumstances of the patient, but she clearly lacked the insight to see how her actions can cause harm outside of that one encounter.

Does one stupid post on twitter mean that it should end someone’s entire career? Only the school has the power to make that decision, and any future residencies should they allow her to move forward. From an opportunity cost alone, it would be a waste to destroy her because one taxpayers ultimately eat the cost of whatever loans she will never pay off and 2 it still takes away from the community a doctor who has the potential to be a benefit for thousands of future patients, assuming she can learn from what is likely going to be one of the largest mistakes she ever made in her life.

I see the rationale for both sides, I’m not arguing for either I think she should accept whatever punishment the school decides. My dad has told me since the day I was born life is a series of choices and consequences and she’ll have to live with whatever consequences she is given.

From an opportunity cost alone, it would be a waste to destroy her because one taxpayers ultimately eat the cost of whatever loans she will never pay off and 2 it still takes away from the community a doctor who has the potential to be a benefit for thousands of future patients, assuming she can learn from what is likely going to be one of the largest mistakes she ever made in her life.
This line of thinking is a slippery slope and probably why people like Dr. Dunsch wasn’t kicked out of residency. Not saying the two are comparable at this case, but sometimes it is better for the taxpayers to eat wasted training money. He’s now costing taxpayers much more in prison than the eaten cost if he would’ve been kicked out

It isn’t negligible harm to me because getting poked for a lab draw hurts a lot, even if it’s an accident. I’ve seen nurses in bad mood over personal issues being so poor at blood draws that patients suffer in pain.

I’d also be careful what we quantify as negligible harm as well. Having a rare disease when I was a young girl led to me getting blood drawn about 3x a week for 2 weeks. Most of the time it was fine but one of the times the nurse missed the vein 3 times and demanded more chances before my dad became furious and demanded another nurse.

That one event led to a life long phobia of needles and I still get panic attacks when I have to give blood, albeit it’s much better than it used to be. We don’t know the circumstances of the patient, but she clearly lacked the insight to see how her actions can cause harm outside of that one encounter.
Very valid points. I should not have been as dismissive of the harm as I was in my post. Thank you for raising these points.

Reactions: 4 users
This line of thinking is a slippery slope and probably why people like Dr. Dunsch wasn’t kicked out of residency. Not saying the two are comparable at this case, but sometimes it is better for the taxpayers to eat wasted training money. He’s now costing taxpayers much more in prison than the eaten cost if he would’ve been kicked out

I agree, sometimes the taxpayer waste is worth it. Especially in cases like you mentioned Dr. Dunsch or that resident that posted about wanting to harm her Jewish patients by giving them the wrong medications. Those are clear cut this person should not be in medicine. Maybe this case is as well, and again it’ll be worth the cost to the taxpayers. But maybe it’s not, which is why I think this has made a 5 page forum thread already in a short while.

Why would I have to, as you so put it, it's your opinion, so why can't it be my opinion that on this occasion, I did not find anything wrong with the piece.
Except that's not what you said. You said
Any different than their "competitors" painting everyone on the right as racists, is that their "worldview", I suppose it is?
Despite your professed desire to make this about the actions of the med student, you keep arguing about a comparison between Fox and liberal media outlets that I am not making. If the original post was linking to a CNN or MSNBC article, I would be sure to highlight the biases of those outlets just as prominently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly don’t care about fox’s “exaggeration” or whatever leading commentary people are zeroing in on in the article. Don’t forget the libs Twitter account is the one that posted it and they also had the same conclusion that her actions were purposeful based on the wording of HER POST. It’s honestly irrelevant how much the media is exaggerating or not. What matters is the students actions, her lack of professionalism, lack of empathy, poor moral attitude and judgment in this situation. Her actions are the topic at hand, not how much media chooses or chooses not to make a big deal of the situation.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
that resident that posted about wanting to harm her Jewish patients by giving them the wrong medications.
One thing that is different in that case is that she never acted on it. Both were saying things that were probably ok to say within their circles, but only the wake student acted on it. I know that resident also a longer documented history of those comments, threatened more harm to her patients, and had views about Jews that are indefensible, but still just words. To be clear, it was a no brainer kicking her out of medicine.

Despite your professed desire to make this about the actions of the med student, you keep arguing about a comparison between Fox and liberal media outlets that I am not making. If the original post was linking to a CNN or MSNBC article, I would be sure to highlight the biases of those outlets just as prominently.
Let it go, for goodness sake. Stay on subject and contribute constructively. I'm done responding to this silly back and forth about media outlets.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user

The is for you, I posted it in the wrong spot. .....Let it go, for goodness sake. Stay on subject and contribute constructively. I'm done responding to this silly back and forth about media outlets.

• Okay...
Especially in cases like you mentioned Dr. Dunsch

That is a genius solution to this dumpster fire

In that residency she would have minimal patient contact, no documentation of any patient care and can be pushed off on to another unsuspecting facility where all of this will have likely blown over at that time

That is, unless things tend to stay on the internet forever so I've heard

Yeah I'm really tempted to have this take, because it is really stupid that any news outlet is getting multiple days of content out of a stupid tweet with negligible harm to a patient. This does not need to be covered by the national media, but--with the caveat that I am specifically commenting on the source of the story linked in the OP, and discussing the source has to be fair game when discussing a story, and I'm not saying anything positive or negative about their competitors--this is Fox's schtick, where they find a single anecdote and they blow it up into proving their worldview that the woke radical left is full of callous jerks who are out to get you.

But at the end of the day, that is sort of the point. This is exactly the kind of thing that can happen to you when you let your personal views impact the care you provide patients, and then compound that mistake by taking to Twitter and sending such an ill-advised tweet. Once it's out there in the world of social media, it can spiral exactly like this and there is nothing you can do to take it back. Physicians are, and should be, held to a higher standard. So while it will truly be a shame if her career is ruined over a couple of really, really poor decisions, it would also ultimately be no one's fault but her own.

my counter is this:

1. yes fox is biased. So is CNN. most media goes one way or the other. But i mean ultimately they didnt misrepresent the tweet, she was literally stupid enough to tweet that so who reported it doesnt matter in this case

2. I mean its one thing if she said "i love trump" or something like that and posted lots of pro trump stuff and supported hardcore right stuff. Or one thing if she supported hardcore left stuff like the antifa. But the first rule of being a physician "Do no harm". So to brag about doing harm to a patient, which breaks the fundamental rule of what a physician should attempt to follow, over something completely stupid, shows she has really poor judgement. And that she even posted this publicly, AND is a med student, of which they hammer this stuff into from day 1

Honestly, the more I think about this the more conflicted I am. I think that ultimately, I would lean toward forgiveness. But I understand that it’s a really difficult situation.

It also reflects badly on the student that it appears she asked her classmates to make tweets defending her, which imo shows a lack of remorse.

my counter is this:

1. yes fox is biased. So is CNN. most media goes one way or the other. But i mean ultimately they didnt misrepresent the tweet, she was literally stupid enough to tweet that so who reported it doesnt matter in this case

2. I mean its one thing if she said "i love trump" or something like that and posted lots of pro trump stuff and supported hardcore right stuff. Or one thing if she supported hardcore left stuff like the antifa. But the first rule of being a physician "Do no harm". So to brag about doing harm to a patient, which breaks the fundamental rule of what a physician should attempt to follow, over something completely stupid, shows she has really poor judgement. And that she even posted this publicly, AND is a med student, of which they hammer this stuff into from day 1
I stand by what I've said about Fox, and I do think they have made this into a way bigger deal than it had any business being. Tucker Carlson specifically used this anecdote to demonize all medical schools for a solid 2 minutes in his monologue the day after this article was posted. Regardless of whether you get your news from Fox or CNN, that isn't great for any of us in the medical field. I agree that CNN does this with their pet issues too, but that isn't the focus of this article or this thread.

I agree with your second point, and have said so throughout the thread. And I'm not sure why my raising my concerns with the reporting surrounding the story is being mistaken for me defending the student, because that's not what I'm doing :shrug:

I think we’re stuck on the same points

It’s possible to believe Fox News is biased and exaggerates the news/reporting AND also believe what the student did is absolutely reprehensible that deserves the harshest punishments, including expulsion

So i don’t know why we keep arguing about Fox News vs CNN when that has little to nothing to do with the thread

Honestly, the more I think about this the more conflicted I am. I think that ultimately, I would lean toward forgiveness. But I understand that it’s a really difficult situation.

It also reflects badly on the student that it appears she asked her classmates to make tweets defending her, which imo shows a lack of remorse.
It’s not really that difficult. The incident itself may or may not be intentional but that tweet IS intentional and deserves complete and universal condemnation

Can someone please take care of this guy's double and TRIPLE posting???

• Okay...
Can someone please take care of this guy's double and TRIPLE posting???
I have no idea who you’re referring to but given the context, i think it’s me. I’m discussing two different but related points separately (and on my phone) that multiquoting makes it less clear and more difficult to do.

If she returns from LOA and remains in good standing and graduates, can't she consider matching into Pathology where there is no chance of her ever sticking a live patient again?
No. she still has to a preliminary or transitional year which requires live patient encounters

A key distinction here is that she is the person who caused harm to the patient, regardless of intent. We all hurt patients, especially those of us in procedural fields and it can (and should) be a heart wrenching thing. I think every surgeon is haunted to some degree by their complications, and even minor harms are still troubling. So yes, for her to cause harm to a patient and then celebrate that fact because of the patients unwoke views is not the mindset we need in medicine. I think the comparison above is apt- that if another student had celebrated hurting a trans patient we would see woke Twitter having a total meltdown, and rightfully so.

This is all very different than seeing patients do stupid things to themselves. Shoot, it’s rare that I meet a patient with a mandible fracture who didn’t deserve it. But the only acceptable response to when we inevitably hurt patients is to feel remorse and compassion. We don’t celebrate their suffering because we don’t like their views on social issues.

• Love
I think the comparison above is apt- that if another student had celebrated hurting a trans patient we would see woke Twitter having a total meltdown, and rightfully so.
Not just that. That student would be immediately expelled without a second thought. They won’t be given a leave of absence to sort out the mess nor would the school have these bizarre email communications that deflect blame onto others

Not just that. That student would be immediately expelled without a second thought. They won’t be given a leave of absence to sort out the mess nor would the school have these bizarre email communications that deflect blame onto others
I think the LOA is the right move for now and is fair to all involved. I think it’s important that those of us who are less woke be careful not to sink to their level and cry for blood without due process. I’m fine letting her school work through their own system and examine all the facts. They also have the benefit of knowing her outside a few tweets and can better determine if this is an otherwise solid person with some misguided views and values who was just chasing clout and can be remediated, or whether this is someone who has no business in medicine at all.

Based on her tweets alone I tend to lean toward the latter, but I wouldn’t be willing to sign her expulsion papers myself without reviewing all the information available and certainly not without getting to have a conversation with her.

My key question would be whether her Twitter persona is who she is at her core, or whether that’s just a character she plays with for validation and clout and she’s a much more normal human at heart. If she’s actually a good person and was just being stupid on Twitter and making stuff up for clout, then maybe there’s room for remediation, possibly by repeating third year or at least the rotation in question and possibly some other kind of probation and close scrutiny. If she’s truly dehumanizing patients like her Twitter suggests, then I’d show her the door.

Pathologists often staff FNA clinic.

Serious question - if an attending had tweeted this, what would happen to them?

If someone reported them to the medical board, it would likely result in a board investigation. Depending on the results of the investigation, they would probably either get a reprimand or their license would be suspended/revoked or they would voluntarily surrender their license. Which one of these things would happen largely depends on the details of what actually occurred.

• Wow
At what point can you claim "that wasn't me who posted that"? I do not use any social media besides SDN. Someone could impersonate me on twitter and I wouldn't even know. As an example, the fake Dr. Glaucomflecken youtube had hundreds of thousands (?) of subscribers and nobody knew it was just a random person reposting his content. Of course, I'm not Dr G, but neither is this person, and once a story gets picked up by national media, you are guilty regardless of the facts.

At what point can you claim "that wasn't me who posted that"? I do not use any social media besides SDN. Someone could impersonate me on twitter and I wouldn't even know. As an example, the fake Dr. Glaucomflecken youtube had hundreds of thousands (?) of subscribers and nobody knew it was just a random person reposting his content. Of course, I'm not Dr G, but neither is this person, and once a story gets picked up by national media, you are guilty regardless of the facts.
You can report fake accounts?

Depends on who saw it. If you’re in a employed position, you’d likely be fired. If you’re private practice, your online reviews would tank and you may get called to a meeting with the board, even in the most liberal states.

Depends on who saw it. If you’re in a employed position, you’d likely be fired. If you’re private practice, your online reviews would tank and you may get called to a meeting with the board, even in the most liberal states.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that, if someone actually deliberately double-stuck a patient in retaliation for a comment, there would likely be legal consequences in addition to being fired and being subject to some sort of board action.

This type of action is actually battery and the physician could be criminally charged. That is in addition to facing a likely lawsuit.

Why would I have to, as you so put it, it's your opinion, so why can't it be my opinion that on this occasion, I did not find anything wrong with the piece. So where did you get that I "cannot stand for anyone saying anything bad about Fox." Surely, you did not get that from my posts because I disagree with the fact that the article has no bearing on the facts of what the student did. But, that's how people who don't like opposing views react, they grasp at things that are just not true, as you did in your post when you replied to mine.

BTW, this thread should be about the actions of the med student, not how one feels about the article, unless the piece was proven to be false.

The piece is literally invalid as written with a misleading title and misleading conclusion from evidence available. Fox News is claiming the student purposefully poked the patient a second time despite no available evidence proving that. I get that most of us here don’t agree with that conclusion but that’s literally what Fox News has written.

Then, they are using that headline/conclusion to draw attention to the situation knowing full well that a not-insignificant portion of their viewership harbors transphobic views. In other words, they’re not trying to make the world a better/more accountable place. They’re fueling an addiction for hatred amongst their followers. I’m not saying what Kaychelle did was right. It was wrong. It should be met with punishment. It is her fault alone. The magnification of it is not fixing the problem though. It is only making people already susceptible to transphobia more transphobic.

Last edited:
  • Love
The piece is literally invalid as written with a misleading title and misleading conclusion from evidence available. Fox News is claiming the student purposefully poked the patient a second time despite no available evidence proving that. I get that most of us here don’t agree with that conclusion but that’s literally what Fox News has written.

Then, they are using that headline/conclusion to draw attention to the situation knowing full well that a not-insignificant portion of their viewership harbors transphobic views. In other words, they’re not trying to make the world a better/more accountable place. They’re fueling an addiction for hatred amongst their followers. I’m not saying what Kaychelle did was right. It was wrong. It should be met with punishment. It is her fault alone. The magnification of it is not fixing the problem though. It is only making people already susceptible to transphobia more transphobic.
Fox News is not going to change their business model anytime soon. The blame is on the student for posting that horrible tweet in the first place.

Fox News is not going to change their business model anytime soon. The blame is on the student for posting that horrible tweet in the first place.

Yeah I said that and no one’s disputing that. What I’m also saying is that the level of coverage this story is getting is borderline malicious at this point. It’d be one thing if the news channel was reporting accurately or at the least written in a way that opens the door to doubt. That’s not what they’re doing though. They're literally reporting something as truth without evidence. It doesn’t take genius to understand why they would do this. Frankly, I don’t see what is stopping Kaychelle from suing for defamation. For those who say she was wrong, she was…but that doesn’t make Fox News right.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I said that and no one’s disputing that. What I’m also saying is that the level of coverage this story is getting is borderline malicious at this point. It’d be one thing if the news channel was reporting accurately or at the least written in a way that opens the door to doubt. That’s not what they’re doing though. They're literally reporting something as truth without evidence. It doesn’t take genius to understand why they would do this. Frankly, I don’t see what is stopping Kaychelle from suing for defamation. For those who say she was wrong, she was…but that doesn’t make Fox News right.
That’s how Fox News operates. They don’t have a reason to change their business model. I’m not even sure how it’d be possible to stop them without landing into legal mess of free media expression

All politics aside. If you carelessly stab somebody with a needle without sincere diagnostic or therapeutic intent, then that is an assault. If she intentionally missed the vein under the guise of attempting to draw his blood, then she assaulted a patient under her care. She should not continue in medicine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
All politics aside. If you carelessly stab somebody with a needle without sincere diagnostic or therapeutic intent, then that is an assault. If she intentionally missed the vein under the guise of attempting to draw his blood, then she assaulted a patient under her care. She should not continue in medicine.

Agreed. There’s no evidence she did that though.

Last edited:

Haven't you and others beat this to death about the article, who cares, but ok. You and some others made this more about the media than about the student's tweet...SMH.

• Okay...
Truly amazing lol. People are so crazy about Fox News that they’re defending what the med student did just to unite against Fox News. I don’t care what media news organization talked about it or what they said about it, the tweet is the only thing that’s needed. No one is posting their opinion because of what Fox News said.

If I had my choice the med student should be expelled. This type of behavior may not get remediated and there’s no way to truthfully tell if the med student has improved from this type of thinking until you take the risk of seeing if she does it again. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk to see if she would do it again in the future - 5 years from now, 10 years from now. Who knows what she may be willing to do when she has much more potential to cause harm? Maybe won’t respond to a page about a patient as quickly because she doesn’t like them. Maybe call a code earlier than typical. Not close a surgical incision as precise.

Doctors are professionals. This isn’t some weird **** about some idealistic view of a doctor. We are professionals in the sense that regardless of the individual I have in front of me and my opinion of them (could be really, really bad and negative), I will render the same treatment as anyone else in front of me. **** we already have to contend with unconscious biases we may or may not be affected by, but to intentionally bias yourself against people/individuals? This is basic! This is what you need to come into medical school already possessing. It doesn’t and shouldn’t need to be taught to someone. That’s the benefit of having to go through med school, let it weed out the people who are not fit to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.