MSKCC Summer Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coasterbrain86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well the deadline to apply was last night and the application is now closed. LET THE WAIT BEGIN!!! Let's use this space to discuss the cool projects and keep track of the process. Feel free to share if you get interviews or phone calls, or if you end up deciding to do something else altogether for the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah the summer program seems really cool. Good luck to all of us waiting.

Well the deadline to apply was last night and the application is now closed. LET THE WAIT BEGIN!!! Let's use this space to discuss the cool projects and keep track of the process. Feel free to share if you get interviews or phone calls, or if you end up deciding to do something else altogether for the summer.

I applied as well, this is reminding me of the days when we were waiting eagerly for med school interviews not so long ago...good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another applicant here.

Here's to hoping...

-E

i am so nervous for this... the program seems so amazing and a chance to work with the best out there. are you guys interested in onc as a career? i would love to do onc..

I emailed them to get an application and it took them like 3 weeks to send it to me, by that time the deadline had passed. o well thats what i get for waiting.

I emailed them to get an application and it took them like 3 weeks to send it to me, by that time the deadline had passed. o well thats what i get for waiting.

um, the application was online, right? At least I filled it out that way, and my file is complete.

um, the application was online, right? At least I filled it out that way, and my file is complete.

did they confirm that your file was complete? i didn't get a confirmation that they received my letter.. did you ask them?

did they confirm that your file was complete? i didn't get a confirmation that they received my letter.. did you ask them?

I e-mailed them just after the deadline to see if my letter had gone through (sent it a couple of weeks earlier), and they said they would contact me if they still needed something, otherwise, if I didn't hear from them, my file is complete.

Hi everyone, I just received an acceptance email for the Summer Fellowship Program at MSKCC yesterday afternoon!

I was not expecting to hear back so soon, but sooo happy!:D

Just throwing this out there in case anyone was wondering about when they send out acceptances. Did anyone else hear back yet??

Hi everyone, I just received an acceptance email for the Summer Fellowship Program at MSKCC yesterday afternoon!

Just throwing this out there in case anyone was wondering about when they send out acceptances. Did anyone else hear back yet??

good lord that is fast - they had said on the website that they would only be getting back to people between March 1-March 15. I guess it depends on which project you applied to, but I think you are a lucky outlier. Wouldn't get everybody else's hopes up this early.

good lord that is fast - they had said on the website that they would only be getting back to people between March 1-March 15. I guess it depends on which project you applied to, but I think you are a lucky outlier. Wouldn't get everybody else's hopes up this early.

Yeah, the email said they have a rolling acceptance process, so it's all up to the PI and what project you applied to. It's definitely early, so no one should freak out just yet...

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)

DAMN!! that's so fast - congrats! hopefully this means we hear soon too...

Congrats on the acceptance and best of luck to those waiting!!

as an incoming med student i have to ask - do undergrad gpa/activities/MCAT play any role in the applications for such fellowships?

Congrats on the acceptance and best of luck to those waiting!!

as an incoming med student i have to ask - do undergrad gpa/activities/MCAT play any role in the applications for such fellowships?

They don't ask gpa/mcat on the application... just what your degree was in, your research experience, awards you may have received, and non-research activities (volunteering, leadership, etc), and why you want to do research at MSKCC.

Oh, and if you've published anything..

Hope that helps.

which projects did you guys ask for?

do you know if they will consider us for other projects or just the ones we apply for?

Last edited:
I just received notice today that I was placed the wait list. Did anyone receive a similar update? And what is the likelihood that MSKCC will pull from the WL? I have never heard of there being WLs for summer programs...

Sorry, this is all new to me (SDN, applying, etc.).

hi blucheese! no I haven't heard of that before. how were you notified? email, phone?

how were you notified? email, phone?

Rockchalk, I received the following e-mail from them today:

You have been placed on our waiting list for the Summer Undergraduate Research Program in the Gerstner Sloan-Kettering Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. We received a very large number of highly qualified applications for the Program and your application is quite competitive. We will be in touch with you as soon as there is a change in your status.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

C. Gita Bosch
Associate Dean, Gerstner Sloan-Kettering Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Associate Director, Graduate Studies, Sloan-Kettering Institute
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Hmm... well that's definitely better than an outright rejection. Hopefully you hear something soon. I've been on pins and needles since friday when i got a phone call from what i think was someone at mskcc (i looked it up on reverse directory). i was at a funeral and couldn't answer :( they never called back. so i wait... :xf:

does anyone remember if the program is rolling admission (ie the earlier you applied the greater advantage you would have)? i guess we'll all find out sooner or later.
thanks

does anyone remember if the program is rolling admission (ie the earlier you applied the greater advantage you would have)? i guess we'll all find out sooner or later.
thanks

No. They were all considered only after the deadline, and by the respective projects you applied to.

As an aside, I've noticed a few people who posted here are pre-meds. The undergraduate program is entirely separate from the med school program most of us applied to, and I know nothing about that one. I've definitely heard nothing about a waitlist for the med school program.

We were supposed to hear by March 15, so sit tight, and :luck:

I don't know about the others but I'm a med student. I just haven't changed the pre-medical tag.

I called Sloan Kettering a couple of days ago because I was given another research fellowship offer, and since SK was my top choice I wanted to see where I stood. I did not get it. It sounds like if you haven't heard by now, you haven't been accepted, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm participating in another research program I'm very happy with, so it worked out fine for me, good luck to everyone else waiting.

I called Sloan Kettering a couple of days ago because I was given another research fellowship offer, and since SK was my top choice I wanted to see where I stood. I did not get it. It sounds like if you haven't heard by now, you haven't been accepted, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm participating in another research program I'm very happy with, so it worked out fine for me, good luck to everyone else waiting.

hmm...I heard from a few friends that they got rejection emails yesterday. Maybe if you haven't heard by now, they're still waiting to hear back from those that they have already accepted? maybe there's some sort of waiting list. let's hope for that. good luck to all.

hmm...I heard from a few friends that they got rejection emails yesterday. Maybe if you haven't heard by now, they're still waiting to hear back from those that they have already accepted? maybe there's some sort of waiting list. let's hope for that. good luck to all.

I didn't receive a straight rejection e-mail yet - if there is a waiting list and I am accepted off of it, it'll create some issues with the other fellowship I'm planning on accepting, but I would jump at the opportunity - :xf:

Hey guys,

I am planning on applying to this summer research program next year. I am graduating from undergrad this year. I was wondering whether my 4th year grades will figure into my app for competitive research programs?

Hey guys,

I am planning on applying to this summer research program next year. I am graduating from undergrad this year. I was wondering whether my 4th year grades will figure into my app for competitive research programs?

No. Though some apps have you report cumulative GPA, it is not a major factor in selection. My undergrad GPA was terrible, and I'm in the middle of my current M1 class, but I was accepted for two competitive research programs. Your essays, research experience, etc. count for more.

did any of you guys hear anything else? kgarts?

Good luck! The program is really great. We usually get one or two students in our lab and they are always welcomed and given interesting stuff to do.

has anyone gotten a rejection email? since today is supposed to be the last day of notification i was hoping to at least get a rejection notice so it wouldn't be up in the air.

I just called the admin and they said they would send out correspondences by 5pm today. They have exactly 34 minutes from this posting to do it!

On the side, the MSKCC Summer fellowship admin are rude people. They are not at all fun to deal with.

It's up...sigh +pity+

Dear Student,

We sincerely regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the 2010 Summer Fellowship Program at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. We received over 490 applications for 32 fellowship positions. Your application was reviewed by the faculty sponsors of the projects you listed on your application. Each faculty sponsor had his or her own criteria for selecting a candidate for their project. This year, the level of accomplishment among applicants was exceptionally high. Unfortunately, we were unable to offer fellowship positions to many well qualified applicants such as you.

Please consider coming to MSKCC for our visiting student medical elective program during your last year of medical school. We are able to accommodate many more students in this program than in our summer fellowship program. Information about the program is available at: www.mskcc.org/electiveprogram.

We appreciate your interest in our summer program, and offer you our very best wishes for every success as you pursue your educational and professional goals.

Sincerely,

.Nathaniel B. Davis.
Medical Student Coordinator
Office of Graduate Medical Education
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

yep, 4:51 pm. sucks. way to be so last minute, mskcc.

yep, 4:51 pm. sucks. way to be so last minute, mskcc.

took long enough...anyway, I'm doing another research fellowship I'm really happy with, so don't really care. And with those stats, the odds were against us. 32/490 = 6.5% - I think they had more slots (~50ish) in previous years.

rejected here too. I don't think anyone got in today. I am guessing they held off until now because there's always a chance for last minute withdrawals.

oh well, it was def worth a shot... i'll see you guys at the elective rotations fourth year :cool:

For anyone who has gotten in, where are you living? haha

And does anyone know if there is a facebook page for this? Does anyone know?

So the new cycle is here and I'm thinking of applying! I know I'm super late but I just found out about this program two weeks ago. :oops:
Anyone else on the same boat? Or already applied?
:)

Yes i am applying. Anyone know what they look for in applicants? I know its super competitive.

There are no set criteria. Each lab/clinic directly picks the students that have specifically applied to them. That's why they don't ask for grades or letters of rec (apart from that of good standing from student affairs).

I just submitted my application, ahhhhh now the wait
Seems like a super competitive program :(

What department are you guys applying for?

I"m choosing the radiology/radonc programs too!!! but im pretty sure I won't be selected cause those are probably the most competitive projects seeing how everyone likes rad/onc and i have no research experience in rad.

They ask us to choose two projects, I chose one under peds and one under behavior science. ahhh :xf::xf: I have research experiences but not a lot of experiences relating to these projects.

Last edited: