MSKCC Summer Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just found out abt this program on friday..and was able to get it all done on friday and get a dean to send a letter.. so.. ofcourse i chose the neurorad and ir projects.. im guessing that wasnt the smartest thing to do.. but i do have a lot of experience and some research in the area... well see how that works..

apparently last year had a 63/830 spread...

i wasnt too verbose in the essay.. probably only made it to 380 words or so..

good luck everyone!

oh also. i read on here that people said you didnt go to a top 15 school or nyc area school that you didnt have a good shot? im in the midwest... hopefully thats not true

Members don't see this ad.

i just found out abt this program on friday..and was able to get it all done on friday and get a dean to send a letter.. so.. ofcourse i chose the neurorad and ir projects.. im guessing that wasnt the smartest thing to do.. but i do have a lot of experience and some research in the area... well see how that works..

apparently last year had a 63/830 spread...

i wasnt too verbose in the essay.. probably only made it to 380 words or so..

good luck everyone!

oh also. i read on here that people said you didnt go to a top 15 school or nyc area school that you didnt have a good shot? im in the midwest... hopefully thats not true

Bolded is false.

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted mine yesterday. The acceptance rate is ridiculously low it's scary. :xf:

submitted mine yesterday. The acceptance rate is ridiculously low it's scary. :xf:

I submitted mine two days ago, so we'll see how it goes. Any ideas on what they prefer? It seems similar to NIH programs where the PI selects each individual applicant, but they also encourage URMs to apply. I would imagine this would involve some sort of incentive to the PIs, but who knows.

With regard to the 63/820 statistic, you sometimes have to be a bit weary about the type of applications they are counting. They aren't necessarily doing this, but a submitted application without a Dean's Letter or vice-versa isn't even considered, but may be counted. If you search old threads, people have posted rejection letters where they state the number is in the 400's, etc. Regardless, it seems like an awesome program and I'll be crossing my fingers until the end of February. Good luck to everyone else!

anyone know where there is a comprehensive list of summer programs similar to this one? ive been looking around but i keep finding programs geared towards undergrads.. thanks

Deadline has passed! I wonder if there will be some acceptances before march?

accepted 2/9! They only gave me 4 days to respond. Hope to meet some of you in the summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I don't have the list of projects.
I was surprised to hear back so quickly.
The email said it was rolling admissions and the last students will be accepted mid-March. hope that helps.

I got the acceptance email on the 9th as well! I'm so excited for this awesome opportunity!

so if we haven't heard back by now, is it safe to say that we haven't been accepted?

doesn't seem like anyone else has been accepted after that initial round

Got a nice little rejection letter in my inbox this morning. Anyone else get this?

for those who got in, would you mind providing any tips as to what you think helped you get in?

Someone I know got in 2 years ago and he doesn't attend a top-tier school....

Yeah, I know others who got in that did not attend a top 10 med school too. I'm sure having connections in some way doesn't hurt though.

I did not get the rejection letter today, does that mean there is still a chance? Or does it mean a possible waitlist? Or a longer wait until the rejection letter comes lol?

Could a person who did the program last year shed light on how the admissions process works?

Yeah, I know others who got in that did not attend a top 10 med school too. I'm sure having connections in some way doesn't hurt though.

I did not get the rejection letter today, does that mean there is still a chance? Or does it mean a possible waitlist? Or a longer wait until the rejection letter comes lol?

Could a person who did the program last year shed light on how the admissions process works?
If accepted, you can participate. if rejected, you can't. If waitlisted, you waitlist. If you haven't heard, wait longer.

It's not rocket science, it's oncology.

Also, I've already said that medical school pedigree doesn't matter.

If accepted, you can participate. if rejected, you can't. If waitlisted, you waitlist. If you haven't heard, wait longer.

It's not rocket science, it's oncology.

Also, I've already said that medical school pedigree doesn't matter.

Sure, it does. Insofar as a first year in medical school still has the same credentials (generally) as when they entered medical school. The same credentials that landed someone at a top-10 medical school will still impress the people running the labs to which we are applying. Obviously a top-10 medical school isn't a requirement and I'm certain people from other schools get accepted, but, on average, people from top-10 medical schools have done a little extra to get into their schools. However, the difference between a top-10, top-20, and even some state schools for some people is just money and location. There are great students everywhere, for various reasons.

Sure, it does. Insofar as a first year in medical school still has the same credentials (generally) as when they entered medical school. The same credentials that landed someone at a top-10 medical school will still impress the people running the labs to which we are applying. Obviously a top-10 medical school isn't a requirement and I'm certain people from other schools get accepted, but, on average, people from top-10 medical schools have done a little extra to get into their schools. However, the difference between a top-10, top-20, and even some state schools for some people is just money and location. There are great students everywhere, for various reasons.
All of that is irrelevant.

The overwhelming majority of last year's participants, myself included, came from non top 20 schools. There were even a few DO kids.

Therefore, as I said (3X now), med school pedigree does not matter.

I think previous research experience and the essay count the most

HI everyone

I realize the deadline for sending out acceptances or rejections is tomorrow.
Does that mean if you haven't heard by now, it's probably too late for an acceptance?

Looking at this thread, it seems like no one has gotten a second round of acceptances since Feb. Has anyone heard of the contrary?

Around what time did you happen to receive an acceptance? Do you know if anyone got an acceptance around this time last year?

Applied for the 2013 cycle. Has anyone heard back?

I was accepted too! Pretty excited but am also invested in another possibility so we'll see...

Congrats to those accepted and hope there will be more :)

Hey guys,

Anyone that has applied for the 2015 cycle hear back from anyone? Any ideas when we'll start to hear back? Thanks and good luck to all!

Hey everyone, just applied for the 2017 summer cycle, seems like most people hear back around mid-February. Just wondering on stats of people accepted? Any thoughts on experiences of those who've completed the program? thanks!

Hi everyone! Just accepted to the 2017 summer cycle! I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the program itself? It sounds great, but I can't seem to find anyone at my school who knows much about it.

Reactions: 1 user