General Admissions & OTCAS MSOT or MSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skywalking1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope this post finds you well. I am truly in a dillema! All you replies will be truly appreciated.

I did my undergrad in Psychology. Graduated from a private university with a massive amount of debt and a 3.6 GPA. The medical field has always been my passion. I had inteded to attend Medical School but due to mental health issues and family obligations and a bad experience with OCHEM I switched into going into OT.

Last year, I got into NYU's Occupational Therapy program conditionally (I still have to take A&P II)
However, my dad passed away and I had to work full time to help out my mother. I rejected NYU. Also, to be honest I was afraid that I would not be able to do well in labs during graduate school-SERIOUS anxiety (2017 was one of the toughest years)

As time went on I became depressed and worked as a case worker with my psychology degree. The job was horrible! I felt empathy for clients but within two months I missed the way my science courses made me feel-logical, no emotions, and stability.

Because of my age (I am turning 27 soon!) I was scared to waste even more time without a graduate degree so I decided to apply to an MSW program along with re-applying to the OT program. This time whichever program I decide on I will complete it DETERMINED and NO OTHER OBLIGATIONS.

I got into Columbia Universities MSW program for the spring.
I won't hear from the Occupational therapy program until about 2 more months.

Although, I simply just want to get started on grad school and begin the next chapter of my life and start working I am torn between OT (and completing A&PII) or going for the MSW degree.

I hear horror stories about social work but I also hear amazing things about it.

OT has the science component which I like and pays more.

I have to think about salary because I am a man and do eventually want to have kids and get married. I also have my disabled parents to help out.

I know SW has the ability to increase pay with more experience, especially after licensure.
But to be honest, I do care about the respect I get in my profession and SW isn't as respected as an OT.

PLEASE PLEASE help me out with your experiences and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi skywalking!

I thought about this a lot too, you just have to decide what your primary passion is and go for that. For me, social work has been an emotional learning investment. I'm good at it and the work feels good, but it can take a toll and it doesn't pay well. My boss, on the other hand, could not imagine herself doing any other type of work, even if she hit the lottery tomorrow. You have to find a job that you would still want to have, even if you didn't have to work anymore. I have discovered that there is a lot of cross over between social work and OT in mental health. Feel free to message me if you want more info on that.

I am young but I have a family already and making ends meet was REALLY tough when I was the only one working for a short time and I only have one child. You can support your family on any income if you live within your means and know how to use the system for support, when you really need it. Go with what makes you happy.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile