MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got invited to that second look because I'm half Hispanic (not URM though, Cubans don't get affirmative action), but I look 100% white (and I don't consider myself a minority) so I thought it would be inappropriate for me to go since the a lot of the activities/meetings were geared towards underrepresented minorities. I live right outside the city, so I might visit in late May when I get back from school, but it won't affect whether I'm going there or not - I got most of my questions answered on interview day and I've talked to a lot of students and alumni since. I love MSSM! :thumbup:

I know we officially start on August 9, but do any of you know when we have orientation, and when our housing begins?

Members don't see this ad.

AD2020 said:
I know we officially start on August 9, but do any of you know when we have orientation, and when our housing begins?

I called and asked and I was told that I'd have to call real estate to find out when we can move in. Orientation, though, starts on August 9th. That whole week we have a class here and there, but not a whole block of classes like we would normally have. You can find a schedule for the first week here: http://www.mssm.edu/medschool/courses/

Of course, that was last year's orientation, but I would think it's pretty much the same.

facted said:
Of course, that was last year's orientation, but I would think it's pretty much the same.

Minus the blackout, of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
ewing said:
Minus the blackout, of course.

Hahah. Let's hope so. I was actually in the city during that. I was about 3 minutes from moving my storage boxes into the elevator. Not a good day. Let's hope we can avoid that again.

I just graduated from MSSM last year. My friends and I would routinely
study at the NYU undergrad library downtown so actually you do have access
to their facilities with your ID card.

Lawrence said:
Hi--

I'm in a similar position--trying to decide between MSSM and U Chicago. I really like both schools, and I am torn.

I know that I would like to eventually end up on the east coast, and that is a big factor. I also think that I would rather spend the next four years here as well. But I feel like U of C ( and Northwestern, too) have a better edge in terms of their programs.

But is there really that much of a difference?

I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

Thanks!

Hey there, went to MSSM for med school and now PGY-1 at U of C.
Gotta say, Upper East Side location beats Hyde Park by far in terms
of finding things to do outside of the hospital. From Sinai you can
conveniently go downtown and don't underestimate the importance
of having central park right next door to get away. U of C may have
the slight edge in terms of academic reputation, though you certainly
can't go wrong with Sinai. If you perform decently at Sinai, you'll
do well when applying to residencies. I would also give consideration
to where you have a larger support network - friends outside of medicine.
They will help remind you of your outside life and cope with stress.

Peace, and enjoy your next four years.

boston said:
I just graduated from MSSM last year. My friends and I would routinely
study at the NYU undergrad library downtown so actually you do have access
to their facilities with your ID card.

I knew it! I thought I remember hearing that from MSSM students, though I'm not sure how much longer we'll have access to NYU stuff since the merger is being dissolved...

SachinG said:
I knew it! I thought I remember hearing that from MSSM students, though I'm not sure how much longer we'll have access to NYU stuff since the merger is being dissolved...

I've asked about the dissolution of the merger and only the hospital merger is being dissolved, not the medical school. Your diploma will still read MSSM of NYU.

So I got my FA package today--

A little over 6K in scholarships, 8,500 in subsidized Stafford loans, 21K in unsubsidized Stafford loans, 6K Perkins, and then a 10K MSSM loan.

The total budget comes to $51, 490 for next year. That means I'm going to foot 45K in loans to go to MSSM. Yuck. :thumbdown:

I got mine today too and although I have a good amount of loans, my package is so much better than what i got from northwestern or nyu. EFC is 4800 and I have 25000 in grants! This compared to northwestern, who told me that my EFC should be 20K and gave me no grants at all... I am definitely grateful for what MSSM gave me, but the skeptical part of me wonders how there could be such a difference??!

I was wondering if the amount of grants one receives decreases after your first year. I know a lot of undergrad institutions will give a lot of grants the first year to "lure" the student in, but does this happen with medical schools also?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, MSSM does not give you a first-year only package to lure you in. I've asked about that too.

I'm absolutely tired of Sinai's admissions office. This is starting to get ridiculous. I was accepted in late February and only today did I get their acceptance packet after they tried sending it twice before. Then in the acceptance letter, they say, "Please note that your acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of the current academic year which inclues ORGANIC CHEMISTRY and all other admission requirements." What is that supposed to mean?! I took all of the goddamn reqs I was supposed to (hell if I didn't, my GPA would be a bit higher). Lastly, to top it all off, they don't enclose the acceptance acknowledgement form as they should have in the packet. Oh, and I'm still waiting on my financial aid packet because I haven't returned their acceptance acknowledgement form. I probably won't find out until after May 15 when I have to make my decision.

If the school as a whole is as disorganized as their admission office, may God have mercy on all our souls. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I doubt it.

SachinG said:
I'm absolutely tired of Sinai's admissions office. This is starting to get ridiculous. I was accepted in late February and only today did I get their acceptance packet after they tried sending it twice before. Then in the acceptance letter, they say, "Please note that your acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of the current academic year which inclues ORGANIC CHEMISTRY and all other admission requirements." What is that supposed to mean?! I took all of the goddamn reqs I was supposed to (hell if I didn't, my GPA would be a bit higher). Lastly, to top it all off, they don't enclose the acceptance acknowledgement form as they should have in the packet. Oh, and I'm still waiting on my financial aid packet because I haven't returned their acceptance acknowledgement form. I probably won't find out until after May 15 when I have to make my decision.

If the school as a whole is as disorganized as their admission office, may God have mercy on all our souls. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I doubt it.

yeah, i don't know what's the deal with them sending stuff and us not receiving it. i got their acceptance package in march, after getting accepted in november. i mean, what's wrong with their mail?
saching, i haven't gotten my finaid package either, but they told me on the phone that they'll try to have them all out before the 15th so hopefully we'll get ours soon

Yeah, the FA package for me was pretty craptastic. Hopefully, I won't be paying an arm and a leg to go there for the sloppy service we've been having so far. Things for me have been normal (no lost mail, etc.), but some of these other stories are ridiculous.

SachinG said:
Then in the acceptance letter, they say, "Please note that your acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of the current academic year which inclues ORGANIC CHEMISTRY and all other admission requirements." What is that supposed to mean?!

I got the same thing, except with ORGANIC CHEMISTRY LAB AND INORGANIC CHEMISTRY LAB. Apparently, AP Chemistry doesn't count for the inorg. chem. lab requirement (but they let that slide...), and I had already completed the org. chem. lab requirement. Just send a short email explaining that you actually did take organic chemistry...

Oh, and I called and found out that we actually have to go to a Quest Diagnostics location for the drug test. :mad: I go to Cornell and the nearest Quest is 40 miles away, so I'm waiting until I get back home to take the test. Has anyone gone to Quest and taken the drug test? How long does it take for them to get the results of the test?

The administrative offices can suck sometimes because of certain individuals there, but other departments are prompt and well organized.

Don't worry, you won't have to deal with Admissions ever again in a couple of months! :)

i did volunteer work at sinai's hospital once and they also made me do a quest diagnostic's test. i'm assuming it's pretty similar, but its just urine and it's really quick. i dont think it takes more than a day for them to get the info... is there a deadline?

AD2020 said:
Has anyone gone to Quest and taken the drug test? How long does it take for them to get the results of the test?

I went to a center here in Manhattan. It was just a simple urine sample. Not sure how long they take to get it, since we're not in the loop about the results of your sample. They only call you or whatnot if you test positive for something.

AD2020 said:
I got the same thing, except with ORGANIC CHEMISTRY LAB AND INORGANIC CHEMISTRY LAB. Apparently, AP Chemistry doesn't count for the inorg. chem. lab requirement (but they let that slide...), and I had already completed the org. chem. lab requirement. Just send a short email explaining that you actually did take organic chemistry...

Oh, and I called and found out that we actually have to go to a Quest Diagnostics location for the drug test. :mad: I go to Cornell and the nearest Quest is 40 miles away, so I'm waiting until I get back home to take the test. Has anyone gone to Quest and taken the drug test? How long does it take for them to get the results of the test?

Nice. Thanks a lot for the info on the coursework. As for the drug test, I was thinking of trying to get it done ASAP before the summer hits. You never know what'll happen :laugh:

So who's gonna stay and who's gonna bail before May 15th hits?

On an unrelated note, white people love Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X.

I'm actually at Sinai right now, and after hanging out here last night, seeing the school today, and talking to mucho students, I've made my decision to attend MSSM over Pitt. I'm so excited to be here and I can't wait to start in August. Barring any movement from the Cornell waitlist, this is where I'll be. Who else is with me as the May 15 deadline approaches?

SachinG said:
I'm actually at Sinai right now, and after hanging out here last night, seeing the school today, and talking to mucho students, I've made my decision to attend MSSM over Pitt. I'm so excited to be here and I can't wait to start in August. Barring any movement from the Cornell waitlist, this is where I'll be. Who else is with me as the May 15 deadline approaches?

Awesome. Congrats on your decision. I'll see you in August!!!

SachinG said:

Yeah, I'm in the same position - I'm also on the Cornell waitlist, but I haven't written a letter of intent or anything because I'm not sure I would go to Cornell over MSSM 100% - I would probably go if Cornell accepted me, but not definitely. If I don't get into Cornell by the end of May, I'm taking myself off of the waitlist because I hate the uncertainty and I don't want to deal with that over the summer - I really liked MSSM, and that's where I see myself in August. :thumbup:

AD2020 said:
Yeah, I'm in the same position - I'm also on the Cornell waitlist, but I haven't written a letter of intent or anything because I'm not sure I would go to Cornell over MSSM 100% - I would probably go if Cornell accepted me, but not definitely. If I don't get into Cornell by the end of May, I'm taking myself off of the waitlist because I hate the uncertainty and I don't want to deal with that over the summer - I really liked MSSM, and that's where I see myself in August. :thumbup:
AD2020, can i ask you why you liked Mount Sinai so much? (besides location and pass/fail)?

Does anyone know more about the "case based learning" they don't say much on the website. I know its more traditional than some schools but is that like PBL??? And are students in lecture all day re:till 5pm?

thanks

gotassay said:
AD2020, can i ask you why you liked Mount Sinai so much? (besides location and pass/fail)?

In addition to a great part of NYC (better than Cornell, Columbia, Downstate, or Einstein in my opinion) and P/F, I also liked:
1. The students - I got the overall best feel from the students at MSSM. To people who say you can't tell anything from the students because every school picks the happiest students to give the tours, I disagree completely. You can tell when people are being phony - and I talked to maybe 10 students throughout the day, and all of them had great things to say. The one negative thing I heard was that one student wished that MSSM had the same kind of name recognition as Cornell or Columbia. I don't give a damn about that (see the match list above - the match is great). Also, compared to Einstein, there seemed to be fewer married students (who are more likely to go off and do their own thing), which is good because I would like to be with as social a group of people as possible.
2. The hospital is great - so not only do you get great experience third and fourth years, but you have a better chance to get residencies at Mount Sinai hospital.
3. The international medicine opportunities - this is something I am definitely going to do probably the summer after first year and some time in third or fourth year. If you check MSSM's website, they have a huge range of opportunities - much more than most other schools. Particularly, they have a great program with Emory called MEDICC, which arranges medical internships in Cuba (particularly interesting to me).
4. The curriculum, etc. is geared towards helping students, not making them jump through hoops (unlike their Admissions office, which is still making us jump through hoops :thumbdown: ). An example of how the school looks out for its students was from a student I talked to who said MSSM gives students time off (a month?) to study for the boards.

gotassay, are you considering MSSM?

SachinG said:

Just curious, how did you arrive at your decision? What made you like MSSM better than UPitt?

gotassay said:
wow. thanks a lot, AD2020! Yea, I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and Mount Sinai. It's been a brain-draining experience. (no complaints of course) but I'm finding this decision a lot harder than picking an undergrad school.

basically, i had a great time at northwestern on interview day. and didn't get a good feel for MSSM b/c i didn't really have a chance to speak with anybody.

So other than blatant differences, i.e. location and pbl vs. no pbl, (and the fact that both are pass/fail)...I'm really at a loss for how to decide. I wish they had had a 2nd look weekend so I would've had a chance to meet people in the incoming class!

That's a really tough choice - I don't know that much about Northwestern, but I think that you can't go wrong - both are great schools. Good luck with your decision! :thumbup:

Does anyone know more about the "case based learning" they don't say much on the website. I know its more traditional than some schools but is that like PBL??? And are students in lecture all day re:till 5pm?

Seriously does no one know the answer to this question? I could use some help I am trying to decide between mount Sinai and Rochester, and I know Rochester has the great PBL curriculum which is really attractive, and I?m wondering if MSSM has anything similar or if it is really that traditional. I know I should know all this by now, but during this whole process things get muddled. I?d appreciate any response. And for some reason whenever I send an email to anyone at mssm it gets sent back. Thanx

:confused:

snuggles said:
Seriously does no one know the answer to this question? I could use some help I am trying to decide between mount Sinai and Rochester, and I know Rochester has the great PBL curriculum which is really attractive, and I?m wondering if MSSM has anything similar or if it is really that traditional. I know I should know all this by now, but during this whole process things get muddled. I?d appreciate any response. And for some reason whenever I send an email to anyone at mssm it gets sent back. Thanx

:confused:

Case based learning is pretty much PBL with a clinical emphasis or something like that. MSSM has a more traditional curriculum but I've heard traditional curriculum puts out higher board scores.

On another note, MSSM sent your e-mail back to you cause they hate you. Now go to UR and gimme that MSSM spot ;)

pekq said:
Just curious, how did you arrive at your decision? What made you like MSSM better than UPitt?

I'm pretty tired from my trip today (3.5 hour train ride + 2.5 hour drive to charlottesville from maryland), but I'm going to attempt to be coherent with my response...

This was a very difficult decision to make, especially after my visit to Pitt's second look in mid April. Initially after the 2nd look, I was leaning towards Pitt because of its amazing hospitals, departments, and curriculum (PBL, early clerkships). Also, the students all were happy and the acceptees I met at the 2nd look were really cool. However, I was unsure about spending four years in Pittsburgh because it seemed to be a bigger version of Charlottesville (small town atmosphere) and it didn't provide for as ethnically diverse of a patient population (i.e. no non-English speaking immigrants) as NYC. So, to make sure I was making as informed of a decision as possible (or should I say "we" since TheFlash and I were both visited Sinai together), I revisited Sinai Monday through Wednesday afternoon, speaking with as many students as possible, getting a feel for the area around Sinai, and taking another tour of the school. I was absolutely blown away. I did not meet a single student who had a single criticism of the school (except for maybe it's "name" value, though this means nothing given their match list)--they loved being students at sinai because the administration was attentive to their concerns, sinai's location near central park and spanish harlem provides for an extremely diverse patient population, and the straight pass/fail system made the atmosphere very non-competitive and allowed the students to enjoy NYC. Also, Sinai's departments and affiliated hospitals were stellar and the fact that the school is in NYC allows students to connect with researchers at other schools. One fourth year I met spent a year at Columbia doing ENT research.

So, my decision essentially boiled down to choosing between Pitt's better curriculum and Sinai's better location. Based on my strong interest in serving immigrant patients and wanting to be in NYC, I decided that Sinai was the better choice. More importantly, I really became excited about starting school at Sinai and could see myself being a part of their community. Pitt's a fantastic school, but I couldn't rationalize turning down Sinai's opportunities and its location in NYC for Pitt's curriculum. Sinai's traditional curriculum (double science block) leaves something to be desired, but it wasn't significant enough for me to choose against Sinai because the students still seemed to have time to enjoy the city and rock the boards (average score is ~228). I can't wait to start at Sinai in August and I look forward to meeting everyone!

SachinG said:
I'm pretty tired from my trip today (3.5 hour train ride + 2.5 hour drive to charlottesville from maryland), but I'm going to attempt to be coherent with my response...

This was a very difficult decision to make, especially after my visit to Pitt's second look in mid April. Initially after the 2nd look, I was leaning towards Pitt because of its amazing hospitals, departments, and curriculum (PBL, early clerkships). Also, the students all were happy and the acceptees I met at the 2nd look were really cool. However, I was unsure about spending four years in Pittsburgh because it seemed to be a bigger version of Charlottesville (small town atmosphere) and it didn't provide for as ethnically diverse of a patient population (i.e. no non-English speaking immigrants) as NYC. So, to make sure I was making as informed of a decision as possible (or should I say "we" since TheFlash and I were both visited Sinai together), I revisited Sinai Monday through Wednesday afternoon, speaking with as many students as possible, getting a feel for the area around Sinai, and taking another tour of the school. I was absolutely blown away. I did not meet a single student who had a single criticism of the school (except for maybe it's "name" value, though this means nothing given their match list)--they loved being students at sinai because the administration was attentive to their concerns, sinai's location near central park and spanish harlem provides for an extremely diverse patient population, and the straight pass/fail system made the atmosphere very non-competitive and allowed the students to enjoy NYC. Also, Sinai's departments and affiliated hospitals were stellar and the fact that the school is in NYC allows students to connect with researchers at other schools. One fourth year I met spent a year at Columbia doing ENT research.

So, my decision essentially boiled down to choosing between Pitt's better curriculum and Sinai's better location. Based on my strong interest in serving immigrant patients and wanting to be in NYC, I decided that Sinai was the better choice. More importantly, I really became excited about starting school at Sinai and could see myself being a part of their community. Pitt's a fantastic school, but I couldn't rationalize turning down Sinai's opportunities and its location in NYC for Pitt's curriculum. Sinai's traditional curriculum (double science block) leaves something to be desired, but it wasn't significant enough for me to choose against Sinai because the students still seemed to have time to enjoy the city and rock the boards (average score is ~228). I can't wait to start at Sinai in August and I look forward to meeting everyone!
One word: Ditto. MSSM rocks! Special shoutout to all the MSSM students and tour guides that made our revisit memorable and enjoyable.

I don't think I'll ever forget getting hit on in the gay part of the Village or falling all over random people in subway. What say you, SachinG?

TheFlash said:
One word: Ditto. MSSM rocks! Special shoutout to all the MSSM students and tour guides that made our revisit memorable and enjoyable.

I don't think I'll ever forget getting hit on in the gay part of the Village or falling all over random people in subway. What say you, SachinG?

Yes, thank you definitely to all of the students/tour guides for making our revisit as amazing as it was (despite MSSM not hosting a formal 2nd look for non-minority acceptees)...

LOL, our escapades through NYC were hilarious and I can't wait to have more crazy experiences in the next four years. The whole getting-hit-on-by-gay-men thing was a little disturbing; especially when you accused me of reciprocating (not that I have anything against gays, I'm just very heterosexual :D)....

Two gay guys checking Flash and I out: "Hey guys..."
Me: "Hey what's up fellas?" (I then look away trying to brush them off)
Flash: (noticing them still staring at us) "Uhh, let's go eat at the Deli across the street"
(We start walking at an almost jogging pace out of homophobic paranoia)

The subway was out of control. Lots and lots of hot women and musicians. The last two days revisiting NYC felt like a mini-vacation. Now if only I can start packing for tomorrow's move out from UVa.

edit: added some details

SachinG said:
Lots and lots of hot women

oh. my. god. It was incredible, I don't think I've seen that many beautiful women of so many different racial variations in my entire life. :love: And the ladies of MSSM itself are quite, quite hot as well!

To those of you deciding for or against MSSM, say yay! Take it from someone who was just one the fence between a few comparably ranked places. It's a great institution.

TheFlash said:
oh. my. god. It was incredible, I don't think I've seen that many beautiful women of so many different racial variations in my entire life. :love: And the ladies of MSSM itself are quite, quite hot as well!

To those of you deciding for or against MSSM, say yay! Take it from someone who was just one the fence between a few comparably ranked places. It's a great institution.

hi guys
well, i'll be joining you all in the fall. i finally withdrew from all the other schools today and i can honestly say it was one hell of a decision.

so, are most of you going to be living on campus? i haven't decided yet, but will probably be commuting from brooklyn (i know..it takes a while)

but, can't wait to meet all of u

I'm living in Aron Hall. Nice housing, relatively cheap :)

I've been finding a few things out about move in and evidentally we can move in the week before orientation, which begins on August 9th. Can't wait.

Since I'm bored (and drunk), I thought I'd compile a list of people who have signed on to attending Sinai this coming fall based on this thread...

MSSM Class of 2008:
SachinG
TheFlash
TRUE
rCubed
AD2020
darkcity998

If I omitted anyone I apologize. Please add yourself to this list if you've decided on Sinai after the May 15 deadline.

hello all,

after a ridiculously stressful few months of playing mental pingpong between mount sinai and nyu, i've decided on sinai!

interestingly, friday night (ie, may 14th) was the first time i came across this sdn forum, and it all the positive things i read here definitely helped me make my decision.

i went to high school 3 blocks away from sinai, and have done a lot of work there, so it came down to the issue of whether i wanted to go somewhere familiar and comfortable or try something different... but in the end i couldn't really walk away from all the great memories i have of sinai.

also, what's the deal with housing info? cause i was admitted in october, and i still haven't gotten anything about housing... let me know if i'm missing something here.

looking forward to meeting you all in august!!

Welcome mango! Kudos on your decision, it sure must've been a tough one. :thumbup:

Spread the MSSM :love:

MSSM Class of 2008:
SachinG
TheFlash
TRUE
rCubed
AD2020
darkcity998
mangotree

Does anybody know what date we can officially move into Aron Hall?

Also, what kind of FA packages have u guys received? grants? how much?

Thanks

mangotree said:
hello all,

after a ridiculously stressful few months of playing mental pingpong between mount sinai and nyu, i've decided on sinai!

interestingly, friday night (ie, may 14th) was the first time i came across this sdn forum, and it all the positive things i read here definitely helped me make my decision.

i went to high school 3 blocks away from sinai, and have done a lot of work there, so it came down to the issue of whether i wanted to go somewhere familiar and comfortable or try something different... but in the end i couldn't really walk away from all the great memories i have of sinai.

also, what's the deal with housing info? cause i was admitted in october, and i still haven't gotten anything about housing... let me know if i'm missing something here.

looking forward to meeting you all in august!!

mangotree, i sent you a PM

Anyone get their Aron Hall assignment yet? That place is the Ritz Carlton of NYC med school housing. :thumbup:

TheFlash said:
Anyone get their Aron Hall assignment yet? That place is the Ritz Carlton of NYC med school housing. :thumbup:

Still waiting :(. Also looking foward to the orientation package (and my FA while they're at it...)

The FA hasn't got there yet? Interesting, I got mine like a month ago... I guess they do it first come first served.

I heard the orientation is supposed to a blast. White coat ceremony is in that first month too. I can't wait! :horns:

TheFlash said:
The FA hasn't got there yet? Interesting, I got mine like a month ago... I guess they do it first come first served.

I heard the orientation is supposed to a blast. White coat ceremony is in that first month too. I can't wait! :horns:

I'm not worried about the FA getting to me since I had already made up my mind long ago. I kinda sat on the application for a while.

As for orientation: I can't wait. I already know NYC pretty well since I've been living there for 4 years and I'm sure the orientation will cover a lot of the same things I've already done, but just meeting everyone and getting into the swing of things will be awesome. Can't wait to move into Aron Hall either :) It'll be nice having more of a semi-permenant home for a few years in NYC rather than moving from building to building like I've been doing for the past 4 years in college. :)

Do you know anything else about when the white coat ceremony is exactly?

TRUE said:
I'm not worried about the FA getting to me since I had already made up my mind long ago. I kinda sat on the application for a while.

As for orientation: I can't wait. I already know NYC pretty well since I've been living there for 4 years and I'm sure the orientation will cover a lot of the same things I've already done, but just meeting everyone and getting into the swing of things will be awesome. Can't wait to move into Aron Hall either :) It'll be nice having more of a semi-permenant home for a few years in NYC rather than moving from building to building like I've been doing for the past 4 years in college. :)

Do you know anything else about when the white coat ceremony is exactly?

Ditto, orientation should be a good time. Lots of time for new NYC'ers to scope out the city. :thumbup: As for the white coat ceremony-- I know that it's near the end of the first month, but I'm not sure about the exact date. I think the reasoning behind that is for students to first be introduced to what they'll be getting themselves into before they step up and take the Hippocratic Oath.