MSTP Boulevard part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<p>Oh my gosh I got an invitation to BU's MD/PhD interview! This is my first interview invitation so I am really excited. I have been stalking the mailman everyday for ths last month. Today I got home late and found a small envelope from BU. I thought it was another one of those rejection letters. BUt it wasn't! Posting here must have brought in good luck! Thanks audeo for your support.</p>

<p>I agree with Sonic regarding the eligibility of international students. I am also on F-1 visa, and let me just tell you that my school's premed office hasn't been very helpful at all (or for md/phd apps in general). Thus I had to practically call every single school to ask about their program. I got the impression that most private schools are more flexible in turns of letting internationals in. Some schools are very wishy washy. U of Chicago, Stanford, and USC are some examples. Public schools on the other hand are pretty strict about this (let me know if I'm wrong). But anyways, I'm glad that we are starting to post our experiences so that people can get some info out of this.</p>

<p>Sonic you must have a stellar application. Do you mind sharing a little about your background/experiences? </p>

<p>Has anyone been to BU or will be going to BU soon?</p>

Members don't see this ad.

Doraemon,

You're right... most private schools are flexible about the whole MSTP thing.. As for me, I've been pretty involved in research (4th year in basic science research), BCPM GPA of 3.98, Overall GPA 3.9, 10-12-13-T on the MCAT... That's about it. I had some pretty solid recs from my profs -- all of whom absolutely adored me... I think that helped. Plus I had a few community service, leadership, kind of experiences... I'm not getting my hopes up though.. No matter how well your interviews go you can't be sure until you see get it on paper. So far the schools I know that accept foreign students to their MSTP are :

Stanford (rarely)
Harvard (rarely, but never with funding)
John Hopkins (very rarely, but with funding)
Wash.U
Brown
Baylor
U.Penn (rarely)
U.Chicago
U.So.Cal.
UofWashington
Vandy
UT-Southwestern
Mount Sinai
Yale
UofChicago (rarely)
Northwestern
UofMinnesota-Twin Cities
... let me know if I missed any. Anyway, I only applied to 10 schools that I thought were pretty good. I still haven't heard from Harvard, but heard from all the other schools.

I also called up Pritzker to make sure that they KNEW that I was a non-US citizen/permanent resident... the person who answered replied "Yes, we are aware of it"..So I guess they REALLY DO want to interview me.

That's all folks.

Hey, is anybody going to be at Iowa this weekend or Wisconsin next weekend? Just wondering, because I will, and it'd be fun too hook up.

Later,

Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright folks. I have approx 6 years of research experience (started in HS), 3.9 GPA and a 10,10,10,(Aug MCATs) and about 3 pubs. (one first author). I applied all MD/PhD. I have a feeling I'm gonna get bumped from this admissions cycle however and am getting kinda worried, cuz my I think the committees are gonna weigh the fact that my aug score arrived late (april wasn't that great) against me. I know even the aug. scores are not so stellar but I'm really not that great a standardized tester and cuz I'm in the lab all the time I really don't wanna retake that damn test. I'm starting to get the feeling I may have to apply next time around. I really love research and am extremely committed as I can see most of you are and that's real cool, and I hope to be your colleagues some day. But I'm feeling bad vibes about the process this year. Anyone think I gotta shot? If not, anyone here in a similar stat situation that took a year out and did something to beef up your CV, and if so what do you recommend. What gets me mad most is that at some schools some applicants are already hooked up with some prior verbal commitment with the director of a particular program. I don't what else to say except that I'm feeling kinda bummed out at the moment. Alright folks, back to the TC room.

Originally posted by JJ4:
•Alright folks. I have approx 6 years of research experience (started in HS), 3.9 GPA and a 10,10,10,(Aug MCATs) and about 3 pubs. (one first author). I applied all MD/PhD. I have a feeling I'm gonna get bumped from this admissions cycle however and am getting kinda worried, cuz my I think the committees are gonna weigh the fact that my aug score arrived late (april wasn't that great) against me. I know even the aug. scores are not so stellar but I'm really not that great a standardized tester and cuz I'm in the lab all the time I really don't wanna retake that damn test. I'm starting to get the feeling I may have to apply next time around. I really love research and am extremely committed as I can see most of you are and that's real cool, and I hope to be your colleagues some day. But I'm feeling bad vibes about the process this year. Anyone think I gotta shot? If not, anyone here in a similar stat situation that took a year out and did something to beef up your CV, and if so what do you recommend. What gets me mad most is that at some schools some applicants are already hooked up with some prior verbal commitment with the director of a particular program. I don't what else to say except that I'm feeling kinda bummed out at the moment. Alright folks, back to the TC room.•

I think you have a good chance, maybe not at the most competitive programs (like Harvard etc, but most people don't have a chance there either) but your research experience sounds great and that is very important. Something you should know is that you'll have to express why you want to do a combined degree and not just the PhD, since you obviously love research. At many programs you must be accepted into the MD part first. Hopefully you addressed that in your personal statement and have some extra currics in the health care/volunteer field. Also, I think letters of rec are very important. They can really make a difference if the people who know you well (your advisor etc) say that you basically walk on water and are a lab god. Other than that, don't worry yet, it's still early and since most schools were probably waiting for August scores they may not have even started looking at your app. I wish you the best of luck, and if you have more questions, this is the place to be to get answers :)

Adam

Hey all,

I'm really happy! I just submitted my last secondary (Stanford) last night. It feels so good to not have any more stupid, bullsh$% essays to write. Of course, now it's just a waiting game. How many of you guys are in the same position?

Good luck all,

Adam

Hey Adam it feels good doesn't it. Stanford was my last secondary turned in as well and I was like WHEW! However, the waiting game isn't any fun.

JJ4,

Your credentials sound fantastic! I'm sure you're going to get in SOMEWHERE! That's positive. As for your MCAT scores, I do agree that they may not be stellar, but that should not keep you from getting acceptances. At least in some of the places I interviewed at, I was told that the MSTP committee gets to accept you... The MD committee review is a matter of courtesy, and although they reserve the right to veto the MD/PhD committee decision, normally they don't ... At least at WashU and UT-SW this is true.

Also, I think 6 yrs of experience is amazing! a First author pub is even more amazing! Keep that in mind... half the people who will interview you are looking for researchers!!

As for those people who you think have commitments from the MSTP directors, although I am yet to meet people like that, I wouldn't believe what they say. MSTP directors even don't have a single say in the process. They may have some pull, but certainly not the right to make a decision.

JJ4,

I agree with the other posters. I think you also have a good chance based on the limited information you told me.

For an anecdotal example, take my case. I've been fortunate to get accepted to both Univ. of Virginia and WashU MSTP. At UVA, although they havent made funding decisions yet, I was told that I was the "top candidate" so far for the Dean's Fellowship, which is an extra scholarship on top of the normal MSTP financial package. I'm telling you this just to illustrate that from what I know of you, you are probably a stronger candidate than I am and could have even greater success.

Of course, there are many variables that get factored in, and nobody on this board can give you a complete answer to your question, but I think you have more than an average chance of getting in SOMEWHERE. Now, if you are trying to go only to Harvard or Yale or some top 5 program, then all bets are off. But take heart in knowing that MSTP programs are usually some of the toughest in the country to get accepted to, even the lower tier programs have fierce competition for the fully funded MSTP slots. Good luck, although you probably wont need it.

Hey fellas, thanks a lot. I dunno about being a better candidate than you baylor21. I haven't got ANY interviews yet. The weird thing is, I know this girl with worse stats and MUCH worse research experience. And she's interviewing at all the top places. That's awesome about the UVA thing, best of luck to you. I guess I'm not doing something right. I mean, maybe the fact that I'm asian is working against me. I wish I had applied to more schools. I mean the schools I applied to (with the exception of one or two) are not in the top 10. I was hoping to at least be interviewing SOMEWHERE. But as the timing gets going, that's looking a little grim. I think I'll be in the ranks of those in the next cycle. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all posted.

YAhoo. I got into Buffalo MSTP program.
I have 3 more interviews lined up, Will go to Rochester on Thursday and Uconn monday.

Baylor,

You sound amazing... would you mind sharing your stats/experiences with us? I'm trying to get a feel of where I stand with the rest of the applicant pool.

Sonic

JJ4,
Your research experience sounds amazing. I have similar MCAT scores as you do (but my verbal wasn't that hot), and I didn't start research until I got to college. I was rejected from Cornell, Wash U, and Albert Einstein's MSTP, am on hold at Penn State, but just got invited to BU's MD/PhD (going end of this month). So try not to worry too much, I am sure things will come through for you. Maybe they are all waiting for your August MCAT to get there? MD/PhD requires longer waiting game and it's definitely not a happy experience for anyone.

Congrats to Refuter and Baylor21 for your successes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know of any schools that specifically will not consider you for MD after rejecting you from MD/PhD?

Originally posted by SonicHedgehog:
•JJ4,

Your credentials sound fantastic! I'm sure you're going to get in SOMEWHERE! That's positive. As for your MCAT scores, I do agree that they may not be stellar, but that should not keep you from getting acceptances. At least in some of the places I interviewed at, I was told that the MSTP committee gets to accept you... The MD committee review is a matter of courtesy, and although they reserve the right to veto the MD/PhD committee decision, normally they don't ... At least at WashU and UT-SW this is true.

Also, I think 6 yrs of experience is amazing! a First author pub is even more amazing! Keep that in mind... half the people who will interview you are looking for researchers!!

As for those people who you think have commitments from the MSTP directors, although I am yet to meet people like that, I wouldn't believe what they say. MSTP directors even don't have a single say in the process. They may have some pull, but certainly not the right to make a decision.•••

Not entirely true. At some schools, the director can pretty much make the decision. Depends how they are structured.

Similarly, schools can vary as to who decides who admits you. For some the MSTP pretty much rules. However, others require that you indepedently get accepted in both the grad and MD sides and the candidates are not considered for MSTP until they can get pass the MD committee.

SHH, see you in Chicago in January! Good to see that things are going so well for you. Getting that Hopkins interview is awesome for an i-student!

Thanks RH (Axlf1997)

Nice to see that you're still helping us applicants out -- being in the position that you are now (which is where all of us want to be next year).... I'll be in Chicago from Jan 10-12... I hope it isn't too cold then!

RW

Can we post here the latest update? It would be great if everyone applying MSTP post their latest status, eg. accepted at X, rejected at X.

I applied really late and haven't heard a thing!

Good luck everyone!

original: i was at duke last week too, and you were a RIOT!

baylor21: i can give you a billion more reasons to blow off uiuc. (now original can figure out who i am)

Hi You Guys

I am a really late MSTP applicant. I was wondering how far along the process is? Have you guys already gotten acceptances? from which schools? I have an interview coming up at UTSW. How is that? Did any of you interview there.

Baylor, you got accepted to U Washington? Wow, thats awesome!! What are your stats? Do you have any pubs?

I have about 3.5 years of research experience, 2 first author pubs (one just went to press, so I ddint include it in my apps). GPA = 3.8, MCAT: VR=11, PS=11, BS=9, W=R. I took the GRE also and did better on it compared to MCAT, Quantitative = 760, Analytical = 740, Verbal = 610 (total = 2110) So statistically, I'm not all that stellar of a candidate. My primary research projects involve functional MRI and cardiac assist devices.

I think one of the reasons that I've been fortunate is letters of rec. I think I'm a good candidate otherwise, but frankly compared to most of you I'm not that strong of an applicant. Its really the LOR that set me apart from the pack I believe. Another reason might be that many of the MD/PhD programs are trying to increase their participation in bioengineering (which MRI and biomedical instrumentation fall into). There are still relatively few MD/PhD applicants trying to get into bioengineering, and with the NIH forming the new bioengineering institute, many programs are anxious to start competing for new funds specifically earmarked for biomedical engineering from the NIH. In that light, I think many schools are interested in pursuing MD/PhD candidates who want to do bioengineering research which would increase their presence in the field and possibly lead to increased chances of getting the NIH bioengineering grants. Of course, this is just my personal perception; theres probably no tangible evidence to support this hypothesis.

Hi Baylor21, are you Korean?

Originally posted by rondo:
•original: i was at duke last week too, and you were a RIOT!

baylor21: i can give you a billion more reasons to blow off uiuc. (now original can figure out who i am)•••

Really! You were there? Hey give me a hint as to who you are. Als, what do you mean by riot

:confused: ?

original, you were a riot as in a lot of fun!
your hint was that remark about the university of illinois.

i finally got my second interview, at USC. news is only slowly trickling in for me.

Welp, I guess I'll throw my 1.63 cents in....

I only applied to one MD/PhD program, and it is not MSTP. I applied to UIC after I originally applied to only the MD program. Right now I am wishing I applied to more than one program, becuase I think the best thing for me is academic medicine- I love research and could care less about joining a country club or driving a huge Benz. I only applied to one MD/PhD program becuase of the ten schools I applied to, I thought I had a decent shot and it was the only place where I had a geniune interest in doing PhD research with any of the faculty.

Goddamnit, I didn't mean to hit post reply.....

anyway, as I said, I only applied to UIC and I have spoken to someone who advised me to get another recommendation in to them from someone else I did research with. She said they have only begun to go through appication and said that there will be two interview date blocks in decmeber.

That's about it for me. good luck, y'all.

Anyone at Duke this Wednesday? I am so looking forward to this experience and anxious at the same time--this is my start off. I hope they don't give off stressful questions to this poor international student whose English is a second language. When I am nervous, my English par excellence turn into a brogue since my tongue has stress trauma as does my left hand-recently found out that I am not suitable for surgery.

Alright... now the wait is getting a little TOO pathetic. I'm about to throw the towel in. I'm seriously the only person I know, that has NOT gotten A interview yet. Anyone think my stuff is just that pathetic?? This is so depressing. I wish schools would just tell me quick if I got rejected yet. I'd hate to get a load of rejections in the mail all at once.

No interview here yet. Haven't even finished all 25 secondaries. 4 left to go. I don't even have Finch's. No need to worry this year. And don't expect rejections to come soon at all. Schools have no idea what to expect in terms of their applicant pool. They can't get rid of people until they do.

Question: For those of you rejected by Cornell MSTP: what are you doing to change your AMCAS to the straight MD status? I am afraid that if I resubmit it I will have to delete half of the schools I applied to because of passed deadlines :(

What's the haps?

On a lighter note: Got an interview invite to Tufts MSTP (Yea, never been to Boston!) and U.Pitt!

Is anybody going to the all expense paid Pitt MSTP 2nd look?

Hey all,

I just got back last night from my MSTP interview at U Iowa. It was totally awesome. It has a really good, very well run MSTP program and an excellent medical school. I was very impressed. Assuming I get in (which is a big assumption) to all my choices it would not be an easy choice to make between Iowa and UCSF. I think the real big downside to the program is that it is in Iowa, and that it doesn't have quite the same reputation as some other schools. Although it is ranked quite high on USNEWS so somebody must have heard of it ;) But, I'm not sure what all that means anyhow, and how important it really is.

Anyhow, for anyone who isn't applying this year and may be looking for good programs that aren't on the coasts or in big cites Iowa is really excellent. Also, the interviews are awesome, you spend an all expense paid weekend out there and just have a lot of fun. I would definitely suggest that you check it out. I'll definitely be happy there if that's where I end up.

I'd be happy to give more specifics of the program and stuff if anyone wants to know more about it or why I liked it.

Good luck,

Adam

Johnny-5,
I changed my Cornell from MD/PhD to MD beginning of last week. I also emailed Nancy Tillinghast just to be on the safe side. Today I called and got an email confirmation saying that my MD application is now complete. Hope this helped. Congrats on your Tufts interview!

Woohoo! I just got an interview from Duke's MSTP. That's #10 boys and girls...

Don't get this the wrong way guys, I'm getting these interviews because I applied VERY EARLY in the process. But I still didn't get an interview from Columbia for which I applied in early July. It's bothering the hell out of me.

...anyway, a first author pub is VERY IMPRESSIVE baylor. No wonder you're rocking all the schools. I don't even have a publication yet. But I do completely agree with you that LETTERS OF RECS are the key. I got so many comments back from my interviewers because while they ALL knew my LOR writers (I go to a big research school), they also were very impressed that they had such nice things to say about me..

Originally posted by LilMissDrDoolittle:
•Hi You Guys

schools? I have an interview coming up at UTSW. How is that? Did any of you interview there.
•••

Hey, I interviewed at UT-Southwestern. It's fantastic! I thought that they certainly should give WAY MORE PUBLICITY than the program gets. Their research is among the BEST in the nation.. They have four nobel laureates, and if you're into signal transduction that's the BEST place to go to. Plus Parkland Memorial, their major hospital is a big city hospital where you will get really good, hands-on clinical training. In the end, Robin (the MSTP coordinator) is wonderful. She is really nice, and will take very good care of you. One thing that impressed me about their program is the way they treat their students. If you get in through the first round, then they invite you back for the second round at their expense and really do stuff to impress you. I'm planning on revisiting in January, so I might see you there!

Hey Sonic

Thanks for the info. Do you know what honorific means on the WASH U MSTP application?

Doolittle

I couldn't find it on my paper application.. I think it meant title like Dr. etc... which precedes the name.. I wouldn't worry about it. You could always call up Brian or Andrew at the WashU MSTP and ask.

Originally posted by rondo:
•original, you were a riot as in a lot of fun!
your hint was that remark about the university of illinois.

i finally got my second interview, at USC. news is only slowly trickling in for me.•••

Hey Rondo wow it's you! It was great hanging out with you in Durham. I'm in San Diego at the Neuroscience meeting and there's really limited internet access so I've not been on this board much. I hope we run into each other at some other interview. Congratulations on USC and Northwestern. Now you've really started kicking ass. Good stuff.

Will anyone be in Chi-town tomorrow?

Hey all,

Are any of you guys going to be at Wisconsin tomorrow for their MSTP interview deal? Just hoping to meet up with some of you.

Later,

Adam

Hey all,

Anyone here applying to the NYU or Mount Sinai Program?? I was curious if anyone got interviews or had any comments about the program.

to those who are getting interviews at so many different places: first, congrats! second, can you share with us WHEN you submitted your AMCAS, your secondaries, and how long it took to get invited for a mstp interview? I especially want to hear stories on hopkins, columbia, duke, baylor, michigan, vanderbilt, and upenn. Thakns and good luck everyone!

Chef,

I interviewed at Hopkins MSTP already and going to Michigan MSTP in January. My AMCAS app was submitted 6/29, processed 7/21. All my applications were complete by 9/10. Got interview invites for Hopkins around 9/20 and Michigan around 10/1.

Is anybody considering UIUC's MSP (MD/PhD, non MSTP) program? What is the deal on their funding? I know they are non MSTP but what level of support do they provide (if any)?

baylor:

I don't know much about the funding, but I think it's a tuition waver, and then you get the graduate stipend for whatever program you are in. I don't know about the first two years though. But, what I do know is that it doesn't look like a very good medical school. I interviewed at Rockford for the MD part and got to meet a couple of the students, who all take their first year at Urbana. It's very lecture intensive, no problem solving, and it doesn't sound like there's much, if any, clinical exposure during the first two years down there. Considering that you got into Wash U and you'll probably get into Michigan I wouldn't bother with UIUC.

That's mostly my impression though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Adam

JJ4,

I got an interview offer from Mount Sinai. I submitted their secondary around early October. But they didn't receive it until late mid October (25th, I think)... They work pretty fast.

I'm going for my WashU MSTP Interview! Wish me luck guys...

Sonic

I submitted my AMCAS on 7/13 and got processed only last week. For secondaries, I took the fastrack on most schools and sent them a hardcopy of my AMCAS. I finished ALL my secondaries by October 1.

I applied to 15 MSTPs; no MD-only's. I've been offered 11 MSTP Interviews (Cornell, UTSouthwestern, WashU, Baylor, Yale, Vanderbilt, Hopkins, Mount Sinai, UofChicago, Duke, and Columbia) and I've only been to two yet (Cornell, UTSW) and going to my third (WashU) this weekend!... I hope that helps. Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and Northwestern haven't offered me interviews yet.

Sonic

Sonic

hi baylor,
i'm a grad student at uiuc and i wouldn't encourage you to look seriously. the funding for graduate students is very generous in most departments, but the stipend for the md years is much smaller. only the msp students stay here for clinical work and what there is is really lacking, i.e. we have no teaching hospital in the vicinity (unless you count the illustrious vet med hospital which is arguably the best hospital in town!). sounds like you have much better prospects anyway! :)

original!
good luck and hope you have fun in chicago!

sonic,
i have one word for you: dang!!!
you must be quite a stud (studette?)!

hey! rondo and original - i remember you both from duke, you guys are awesome :) i had such a good time too . . . i just wanted to say hi! i thought the group of people there during the 6-8 were just fabulous and i would love it if you guys were my classmates someday! i'm the one from williams, if you remember . . .

ooh i'm waiting to hear from case western any minute now. just want to get in somewhere so i can stop worrying!

GOOD LUCK both of you and keep me updated!

-sarah

hey SARAH! so nice to hear from you! good luck with case, but don't you think you might miss all the worrying? ;)

Wow... I haven't posted on this thread for a while, but I'm pleased to see that it's taken on a life of its own! Most impressive... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.