MSTP Boulevard part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Original,

Are you an international student?? i.e, non-US citizen/permanent resident? Wow!! That's awesome..getting accepted to Duke. I'm so jealous of you!!!

Sonic

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor:

Did you go to the Michigan MSTP interview last week? If so, could you tell me what you thought. I've got an interview there next week.

Thanks,

Adam

Originally posted by SonicHedgehog:
•Original,

Are you an international student?? i.e, non-US citizen/permanent resident? Wow!! That's awesome..getting accepted to Duke. I'm so jealous of you!!!

Sonic•••

Yeah Sonic, I'm a non-U.S citizen/Permanent resident. That's part of what's making it difficult for me to believe all this stuff. Hey you're the one with the gazillion interviews right? That will automatically translate into a gazillion acceptances (maybe minus a few; but how's that gonna hurt?)

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Adam,

I rescheduled my Michigan MSTP interview for January because of school issues.

But now that I've heard from WashU, theres a good chance I will withdraw from Michigan. Great program though, good luck.

For those who have interviewed for Hopkins MSTP:

Has anybody gotten an acceptance yet? When does the MSTP adcom meet?

Original,

Well congratulations my friend! I applaud you. I would kill to be in your position. Yes, I do have a gazillion -- well, 14 MSTP interviews... But not a single acceptance offer as yet...

Anyway, I hope I can follow your trend.

Sonic

Congrats Original!

That is so awesome! I thought that Duke does not accept international students for MSTP (or that's what I was told and hence did not complete the secondary), but I guess that just shows how much they want you there. I would love to be in your shoes now, even though I have only gotten one interview invite and several rejections.

Hey for those of you who are applying for Yale MSTP, how long after the app completion email did you receive news from the office? Is it via email or mail?

Anyone going to BU anytime soon?

Original:

I am really happy for you. Duke is a very good school and they have the BEST basketball team in the nation :)
I really want to go to WashU. I am still waiting for their med school to OK my acceptance to the MD/PhD program. After that I'll just cancel all my interviews.

Academic,

Don't worry about the WashU med school not OK'ing... Brian told me that their MSTP has the upper hand. In fact, if the MSTP decides to accept you, the medschool almost certainly will. Brian told me that in the rare cases that the medschool vehemently opposes the MSTP decision (very rare!), the MSTP reinvites the candidate to interview with the MD program... to give him/her a second chance. So I wouldn't worry about it all. As far as I'm concerned, you're in... CONGRATULATIONS!!

Original: Thanks for the encouragement, and CONGRATS on Duke! That is so awesome, and I am sure you will do great there. I was just curious if you got any impression as to how many more interview times UChicago will be doing? I know you have already been there and that you chatted with the director. I am curious because U of C is one of my top choices if I can get in. I know a couple of other people on this thread are scheduled to interview there.

Hey UChicago will have ONLY 2 more interview sessions. They'll admit almost everyone they interview. I have to teach a class in 15mins. I'll give you a more comprehensive breakdown in a little bit.

I just got an interview to Harvard's HST program. They didn't give me any dates; all they said is that they'll schedule it at my convenience. Meeen if I get into Harvard, I'll be the first guy from my village to have ever gotten in there :D

congrats original, Harvard is one of the few programs that I would like to hear back from.

I looked on their website before and it implied that there were only 4 interview dates to choose from. So they said you could schedule it whenever you wanted to? Oh well, maybe I misinterpreted what it said.

Did they give the interview invite by mail, email or phone call?

Good luck, good to hear about your success with Duke and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Baylor21! I got a rejection from Harvard's MD/PhD program this morning. The message came via snail mail. I got the interview invite this evening to the Harvard-MIT Health Science Technology program. The message came by email from a lady at MIT. She said they'll be glad to schedule me in coordination with any New-Pathway or MD/PhD interviews I might have. I also applied to the New-Pathway program, but I'm yet to hear anything.

Original,

sorry to keep bugging you with questions. Did the Harvard MD/PhD rejection come via email or snail mail?

thanks

Bug on; that's what we're here for. It came via snail-mail. It was postmarked Nov 15.

By the way, more of us need to go fill out the interview questionnaires on interviewfeedback.com

Some of the schools didnt have anything new listed for MD/PhD since 1998!

I'm going to go back and fill them out, I figure they could help someone in the future or maybe even this year. My memory is a little fuzzy on some of the schools though.

Original,

I just found out from unofficial lines at Duke, that you are one of the THREE international students that Duke's MSTP decided to interview. I'm one of the others.... We'll I just hope you're not the ONLY one they decide to accept!! Anyway, good going... and congrats!

Wow I feel honored (one of 3?). I was told that I got the first acceptance for the 2002 class. All that stuff is like a dream. I feel paranoid that I'll wake up and realise that I've been dreaming the whole time. All I wanted was to get into the state school across the street. I got a regular MD invite to Columbia for Dec 13 and I dont even know what to do with it. Anyway I'll shut the hell up before I unconsciously drift into braggado and arrogance. Hey good luck at Duke. Take a good camera; you'll love the place. Chill out and relax. Sal is looking for good social skills. The guy is really funny and he's a supernice guy too. He has lunch with the MSTP1s every friday. Good luck :)

Original: Only two more interview times huh? I wonder if I should be nervous then since I have not heard a peep out of U of C since my application was completed. Any more details? What kind of research are you looking to do?

Baylor21 and Original: I am not applying to Harvard myself, but I was just curious what the difference between the Harvard MSTP and the Havard HSP(?) were? And Baylor21, are you still interested in UNC Chapel Hill?

Everyone have a good Turkey Day!

Shogun:

I think the difference between Harvard MSTP and HST is that the MSTP is a dual degree program. HST is an MD but with a focus on health sciences and research.

As for Pritzker, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm a little confused because I've gotten some interviews at other great schools, but I've yet to hear anything from either Pritzker or Northwestern. It's not really that big deal and I doubt I'd go to either one unless I was really really impressed. But, it's still bothersome that I haven't heard anything either way. Plus, I'm living out in Illinois until some time in January, and I really wanted to interview at those places before then if possible so I wouldn't have to fly around. But, oh well. I guess we just have to wait.

Good luck,

Adam

I'm still interested in UNC MSTP, but honestly I dont know if I can afford anymore interview trips.

My credit card bill before this semester: $1500

My credit card bill after this semester: $12,500

I think that speaks for itself. I'd love to interview at UNC if they offer me one, but its going to be tough to justify it financially, especially given the fact that I'm already in at WashU. I'm not sure if I would choose UNC over WashU anyways, although I dont know enough about UNC to make a good judgment on it.

Hey I'm curiuos about how MSTP funding works. I know its different for each program, but how does it work in general?

1) During the PhD years, do you get the living stipend from an MSTP grant or does your PI pay you?

2) Do you get paid the living stipend if you choose to do a lab rotation during the summer before the first year of med school?

3) During the MD and PhD years, are ALL fees covered by the MSTP grant or does it just pay for tuition and not the other student fees, etc?

I'm curiuos about MSTP match rates in residencies. Most of the schools that I've been to dont distinguish the match rates between the regular MD program and their MSTP program, but there was one exception.

When I was at WashU, they told us that 90% of the MSTP grads match into their TOP choice. Thats right, not one of their top 3 choices, but their absolute #1 choice.

I heard that and almost couldnt believe it. Does anybody know the MSTP match rates for other schools?

Adam,
I think with all the other interviews you have, you are all set. In regards to Northwestern, my friend interviewed there for MSTP a couple of years ago, and he got his invite in December, so I would not worry too much about it. I am not applying there myself b/c they don't have the PhD I am interested in unfortunately. I have another friend who is a 2nd year med student at NU in the MSTP, and he has told me he really likes the program. He was an HPME however, so he did not really have to bother applying the way most of us are doing right now. By the way, are you researching in Chicago? If so, where? I am researching full-time at Northwestern right now. And if you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from UCLA about your MSTP interview-Thanks!

Baylor21: Holy smokes! Good thing WashU is picking up your tuition and fees. I myself am very interested in UNC because they have an excellent School of Public Health, which is what I want to get my PhD in.

Shogun:

Actually, I'm living outside of Chicago, working in a research lab at Northern Illinois University. I'm not sure I want live in Chicago though. Btw, you have an interview at Wisconsin? I was just there last week. It's a nice place.

Baylor:

I think that's pretty much what it's like. At Iowa they told us that something like 80% get their top choice. Iowa's a great school, but not in the same category as somewhere like Wash U. Just those extra letters after your name make you very attractive for residencies. I guess, the only way to find out the numbers exactly would be to ask the MSTP directors themselves. I'm sure it's a valid question that most would be happy to answer via email. If you do ask anyone, let us know what you find out.

Good luck,

Adam

Here's the deal with MSTP funding:

1) During the PhD years, do you get the living stipend from an MSTP grant or does your PI pay you?

MSTP funding is generally guaranteed throughout all years of your medical/graduate education. The NIH grant provides a portion of the total, and the lab, department, graduate program that you join pays the remainder. The actual technical means of getting paid is dependent on the school you attend. At UCSF, we now have direct deposit, so it is all automatic.

2) Do you get paid the living stipend if you choose to do a lab rotation during the summer before the first year of med school?

In general, most programs will do this. I moved up to UCSF in July and got my first check August 1st. You should check out the details at your schools of interest, however, because they may differ.

3) During the MD and PhD years, are ALL fees covered by the MSTP grant or does it just pay for tuition and not the other student fees, etc?

Again, this depends on the school, but at UCSF, for example, the grant pays our tuition, fees, health insurance, etc. So we basically pay nothing and get the stipend. Pretty sweet deal. :D

Originally posted by baylor21:
•I'm curiuos about MSTP match rates in residencies. Most of the schools that I've been to dont distinguish the match rates between the regular MD program and their MSTP program, but there was one exception.

When I was at WashU, they told us that 90% of the MSTP grads match into their TOP choice. Thats right, not one of their top 3 choices, but their absolute #1 choice.

I heard that and almost couldnt believe it. Does anybody know the MSTP match rates for other schools?•••

The match lists for MSTP graduates are absolutely excellent. Most get their first-choice residency. Not to sound too self-inflating or anything, but basically at this point you are a really hot commodity and the programs really compete for you. MD/PhD graduates from MSTPs typically have extensive clinical and research experience (usually with several publications) and are very well-prepared and suited for academic residencies. Some people are able to negotiate time spent in clinical training versus research and thus mold their residency to their needs.

Originally posted by shogun:
•And if you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from UCLA about your MSTP interview-Thanks!
•••

Sorry I forgot to add this to my last message. Anyhow, I heard around the beggining of this month. I don't remember exactly when. It showed up on my status page first though. Then they called to let me know. I think they'd had my secondary and letters for about a month.

Good luck,

Adam

Shogun,

I will interview at UCLA on Dec 6,7. I heard from them about 2-3 weeks ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

academic:

Have you had your transcripts sent yet? I've been procrastinating on that. It's a real pain, since they have to come from three schools and it's expensive. I hope they don't mind too much. I think it's pretty ridiculous, especially since my AMCAS is verified now.

Oh, well...best to just do what they say.

See you on the 6th.

Adam

Originally posted by shogun:
•Original: Only two more interview times huh? I wonder if I should be nervous then since I have not heard a peep out of U of C since my application was completed. Any more details? What kind of research are you looking to do?

Baylor21 and Original: I am not applying to Harvard myself, but I was just curious what the difference between the Harvard MSTP and the Havard HSP(?) were? And Baylor21, are you still interested in UNC Chapel Hill?

Everyone have a good Turkey Day!•••

I don't have anymore details about U of C's selection process. All I can say is that it's definitely a unique program. A friend of mine started MSTP there with his PhD in Political Science but then switched to OChem. They also have the world's best economics program. A boatload of construction work is going on there. They are also seriously augmenting their academic programs. You can bet that Univ of Chicago will really jump up in the rankings in the coming years. I think Pritzker will become a top 10 school very soon. I dont know whether or not you should be nervous about not hearing from them yet. All I can say is that when it pours, it rains. From my observations, this whole process is composed of alternating periods of absolute silence and lots of correspondence from programs. Be optimistic and keep your head up :) . I'm completing a master's in math with 1.5 yrs neuroscience research so I'm interested in working in the interface between mathematics, computers, and wet-bench molecular research. With regards your last question, Rumit answered it better than I ever could have. Good luck with this really draining process.

Hey guys how goes it?? For me, well, still trying to hang in here. Anyways, anyone here take a year off before applying MSTP??? Or are all of you applying straight outta undergrad?? I was just curious.

Happy Thanksgiving My Fellow Future MD/PhD's!!

HI EVERYONE!

I'm really STOKED that I came across this message board! I've just spend the last half hour reading ALL 16 pages of messages.

I'm still trying to DIGEST all the information, but I'd like to get involved in the discussion so I've got a QUESTION about the WASHU MSTP:

***Do they notify by snail or email? And how soon do they want a reply on the faculty list?***

Here's my STATUS in the MSTP quest:

INTERVIEWED:
Ohio State (accepted)
UCSF
Cornell/SKI/Rock

INTERVIEWS 'ROUND THE CORNER:
Penn
JHU
UCSD

FIDGETING MY TOES 'N WAITING:
Stanford
WashU
Harvard

TEETERING ON SUBMITTING 2NDARY:
UCLA/CalTECH
Pritzker (postponed deadline to JAN!)

I'd be happy to ANSWER any questions about places I've interviewed at...

OH...LITTLE ABOUT MYSELF:
Graduating senior at UC Berkeley involved in signaling research. Bro-in-law in MD/PhD at Ohio State. Wished that I applied to more schools.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

JJ4:

Yeah..I'm currently in my 'year off.' I graduated last summer. I'm going to be working in research labs all year as a tech, and hopefully get to spend some time traveling.

MAPKinster:

When did you interview at UCSF? I was there at the end of last month. What did you think of the program? It definitely has an awsome medical school and a great graduate department, but I still have a few lingering doubts about the MST Program itself.

Good luck all and have a happy Thanksgiving,

Adam

Hey RUMIT/Adam:

I interviewed at UCSF on Nov 6 (MSTP) and Nov 8 (Reg MD). They rescheduled me from my original dates b/c couple of the faculty I requested had a conference to attend. So I did the interview dates in reverse order...

Yeah, I also have some CONCERNS about UCSF. I mean, there's no question that it is one of the BEST schools for both clinical or graduate training. However, after visiting the CORNELL/SKI/ROCK program, I saw many issues:

1) GEOGRAPHY: The Mission Bay expansion will split the campus in the near future, putting medical and graduate faculty on opposite sites of SF. I'm more attracted to Tetrad faculty, which I believe will be moving away to Mission Bay. During medical school years, it may be difficult to keep a foot in research (attending lab meetings, seminars, etc.)

**Maybe VADER can give us his THOUGHTS on this MISSION BAY issue...=)**

2) HOUSING: Housing is a pain in the butt in SF...they don't subsidize great housing like NYC.

3) LENGTH: I'm still unsure how I feel about this because I think the length of PhD is directly proportional to how well I'll do after the MSTP. (i.e. SHORT PhD = LONG postdoc) Everyone I spoke with told me straight up that it program would at least EIGHT years minimum...no one was trying to SELL the SEVEN years.

On the flip side, UCSF has the great faculty (some MSTP student told me to think of the NATURE/SCIENCE/CELL-publication-to-faculty ratio), great weather, great students...(and for me, CLOSE to HOME).

I just hope I'll get the chance to be this PICKY =)

**WHAT are your THOUGHTS on the UCSF MSTP???**

**ALSO, did you apply to/hear from WashU??**

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! :D

Originally posted by MAPKinkster:

I've got a QUESTION about the WASHU MSTP:

***Do they notify by snail or email? And how soon do they want a reply on the faculty list?***

•••

They notify by email. They are flexible about when one specifies preferred faculty; however, I think they really appreciate speedy responses. Happy Thanksgiving! Where the turkey at?

:D

ORIGINAL:

Cool...thanks for the info! And CONGRATS on DUKE!

anyone applying to USC MD/PHD program? Anyone know the scoop on their program? is it partially funded ?

Hi Adam and MAPKinkster,
I'll try to answer some of your questions/concerns regarding UCSF. Here it goes:

However, after visiting the CORNELL/SKI/ROCK program, I saw many issues:

It is good that you are comparing different programs. That is exactly what you need to do to see where you fit best.

1) GEOGRAPHY: The Mission Bay expansion will split the campus in the near future, putting medical and graduate faculty on opposite sites of SF. I'm more attracted to Tetrad faculty, which I believe will be moving away to Mission Bay. During medical school years, it may be difficult to keep a foot in research (attending lab meetings, seminars, etc.)

**Maybe VADER can give us his THOUGHTS on this MISSION BAY issue...=)**

Everyone here (at UCSF) feels that Mission Bay will provide extraordinary opportunities in terms of expansion of the basic and clinical sciences, recruitment of new faculty members, establishment of innovative research programs/institutes, and connections with biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. It is the largest and most ambitious academic building project in the nation, a several billion dollar effort. There will be increased lab space available for new faculty, which will increase the number of collaborations available. In terms of faculty movement, it is true that many Tetrad faculty will be moving to the new campus. However, strong connections will be maintained despite this. For transportation, there will be regular shuttles between Parnassus and Mission Bay (and other sites). One thing to realize is that UCSF is already a multi-campus unversity (i.e. Laurel Heights, SFGH/Gladstone, Parnassus, Mount Zion, etc) which has components in different parts of the city. San Francisco is relatively small in area and you can get around from place to place very easily.

2) HOUSING: Housing is a pain in the butt in SF...they don't subsidize great housing like NYC.
Actually, the housing situation has gotten MUCH better in San Francisco due to the economic decline. I have seen plenty of for rent signs up, which you never used to see in the past. All of the students were able to find housing, and most people live within a few blocks of campus. I decided to live down by Ocean Beach because you can generally get more for your money here. The MSTP stipend is definitely more than enough to live comfortably on.

3) LENGTH: I'm still unsure how I feel about this because I think the length of PhD is directly proportional to how well I'll do after the MSTP. (i.e. SHORT PhD = LONG postdoc) Everyone I spoke with told me straight up that it program would at least EIGHT years minimum...no one was trying to SELL the SEVEN years.

MSTPs from UCSF have always done very high-quality PhDs. There have been cases in which students have spent a long time, but this has usually been due to marriage, kids, and other life circumstances. The longest times to graduation have come from the Tetrad program, mostly because people who choose the program generally don't know what they're specifically interested in and thus take time to decide. Tetrad also has more course requirements than other programs (like other PIBS programs such as Neuroscience, or the BMS program). For example, no MSTP student who did Neuroscience has taken longer than 8 years to graduate from UCSF. Most take 7. At UCSF there is really no one who will pressure you out the door. The philosophy is that you will graduate when you are ready. The problem is that students often don't realize that there isn't someone hounding you to finish and think they should just go on and on in the lab. Recent efforts have been made to ensure timely progression, however, such as regular thesis committee meetings, letters from the MSTP to faculty, etc. But what it really boils down to is knowing your own goals, becoming your own advocate throughout your education, and working hard. There is nothing preventing you from taking 7 (or even 6) years. In my case, I want to take no more than seven years total, so I've done a rotation already and will do one next summer (only 2 rotations are required for MSTPs in Neuro). That way, I can start my thesis work the summer after the second year of medical school (and hence finish earlier).

On the flip side, UCSF has the great faculty (some MSTP student told me to think of the NATURE/SCIENCE/CELL-publication-to-faculty ratio), great weather, great students...(and for me, CLOSE to HOME).

The publication record of the faculty across the board is amazing... that was one of the things that really distinguished UCSF from other schools for me. Not only are the faculty great, but everything is very personalized here and you get abundant opportunities to interact with them. The collaborative atmosphere here facilitates this.

I want to re-emphasize that ultimately you'll be deciding based on a variety of factors (i.e. location, quality of medical school, faculty, graduate programs, lifestyle, family, social support, and many others). You'll have to figure out which ones are most important to you and see where you fit best. Just make sure that you go where you'll be happiest--because that will allow you to be the most productive and successful. :D

VADER!

Thanks for your thoughts on Mission Bay. :) Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Guys-

Is anyone applying to PSU? I was looking at their information, and it seemed like they only take instaters......although maybe unofficially. If you did apply, have you heard anything?

Eagarly awaiting responses from many schools- my AMCAS app have been verified, but no schools actually have it.....ugh.
peace.

Is PSU Penn State U? If it is, then they certainly accept out of staters. I know an out-of-stater that got in there last year. I'm an out of stater and I have an interview; and I know 2 other out-of-staters that have interviews there as well.

Yes, PSU is Penn State. I just figured, as a big-10 alum, that everybody out there knew that......my bad. Thanks for the clarification. I am still awaiting whether they got all my information. Do they wait for a verified app.?
peace
Jesse

Candiria,
I am also applying to Penn State. My app was completed on 10/19, my AMCAS was verified end of October. I recently got a letter saying that I've been put on hold for MD/PhD interview. I plan to write a letter to the adcom stating my interest in the program. I don't know how that will turn out though.

Hey Guys!
To all of you who posted info on UChicaog and UCLA, thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to wait and pray on those schools, but that is the admissions process this year I guess.

I had an interesting question given a remark that Original made about MSTP apps being down this year(at least at UChicago). I just wonder what you all thought b/c I just talked to my best friend who is a 2nd Year MSTP at Case Western, and he told me that apps at Case are exactly where they were last year(~70). Figuring that all of us have applied to many schools, I figured we all had a good chance of getting in somewhere for MSTP. What do you all think?

Hope you all had a Great Thanksgiving!

Doraemon-

Props, dog. This year, or just maybe this application process has been insane. I think that one of the best way to let people know that you are interested is just to make a phone call or write an email. I have spken with the woman in the office at UIC about twelve times now. I have the feeling she wants me to get in more than my parents! If an adcom can associate a voice or personality with an app, I think it'll be all the easier to get a coveted interview.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes.
Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.