MSTP Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat08

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
So I have an MSTP interview (Interview A) scheduled for two days in mid October, at a program that I really like. However, I just got an invite from another program that I like even more (Interview B) for one of the same days. Should I reschedule the Interview A so that I can do Interview B earlier? Both have rolling admissions. If I wait to do interview B, it would be early November. If I reschedule interview A, I believe it would be late Nov. So if I reschedule, I will end up finishing both at a later date. Do you think keeping things how they are now, and waiting the extra few weeks to do interview B will really hurt my chances of getting accepted, considering that it is rolling? It is one of my top choices. Do you think I should reschedule or keep the current interviews as they are? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Personally, I would keep your interview A and then just do your interview B in earlier November, which is not likely to really affect your chances for admission compared to admission to mid-October (roughly 2 weeks). Pushing interview A to late November is pushing it back about 6 weeks, which could potentially hurt your chances. In any case, the difference between interviewing in mid-October or November is likely going to be negligible.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't reschedule A. You have committed to A's date and you should respect that--especially since you have the ability to wait just a few weeks for B (not even scheduled yet). Besides, having more experience going into B is better than a meaningless 3 - 4 weeks delay in the interview timing.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't reschedule A. You have committed to A's date and you should respect that--especially since you have the ability to wait just a few weeks for B (not even scheduled yet). Besides, having more experience going into B is better than a meaningless 3 - 4 weeks delay in the interview timing.
This^^^. You reschedule if you have an unavoidable emergency, not every time you have what you think is a better opportunity.

It's not mid March. Rolling admission means nothing at this point in terms of having a better chance at an A after an interview. And, even if it did, you should keep your commitments. How would you feel if you annoyed School A by rescheduling, resulting in a WL that you never get off, and then things didn't work out at B?

Don't even consider this, at any school. Dates already scheduled are not available to schools that come later. Period.

Reactions: 1 user