MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, do y'all think that I would qualify for instate tuition? I'm technically a texas resident, but I did my undergrad at University of Michigan and am currently working in Michigan.

if you apply for residency in michigan then yes, but if you havent done that yet then you need to if you plan on receiving in state tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

this school is such a ripoff for OOSers!

I think this school would have been a good fit for me, too. in terms of what their adcom looks for, I am like the perfect candidate, no joke hehe.

however, it's going to be a no go for me because of...

1) ridiculous tuition
2) you can't become an MI resident until after 3 years, so you're paying that ridic tuition the entire time
3) their evaluation forms on the secondary are a pain in the ass

good bye, MSU. my advice to you is to standardize your admissions because, as of now, you are losing many great applicants!

I wonder who would be stupid enough to pay $65k/year for tuition ONLY to a DO school. are you ****TING ME??? hahhaha :thumbdown:

!!! I'm curious how did you know that you can't become a resident until after 3 years? I thought it was one year?

this school is such a ripoff for OOSers!

I think this school would have been a good fit for me, too. in terms of what their adcom looks for, I am like the perfect candidate, no joke hehe.

however, it's going to be a no go for me because of...

1) ridiculous tuition
2) you can't become an MI resident until after 3 years, so you're paying that ridic tuition the entire time
3) their evaluation forms on the secondary are a pain in the ass

good bye, MSU. my advice to you is to standardize your admissions because, as of now, you are losing many great applicants!

I wonder who would be stupid enough to pay $65k/year for tuition ONLY to a DO school. are you ****TING ME??? hahhaha :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)

Well this is going to piss off quite a few people. Ignoring that, you have seen the tuition at schools like AZCOM too right though?

Well this is going to piss off quite a few people. Ignoring that, you have seen the tuition at schools like AZCOM too right though?

Ya that is a pretty ignorant and offensive comment rockbuster, I would have to say everyone has their reasons for choosing whatever school they may want to go to. Just because you have a certain view on what it means to go to MSUCOM and what it means to be a DO doesn't mean others have the same view. Remember, MSUCOM is a great school that is ranked in the top 5% of schools (MD and DO) for primary care. Among other things, that matters, regardless of OOS tuition or not.

hey all..quick question just to make sure i am doin this right...my teaching assistant experience that was NOT paid goes under acadmic activities right?

hey all..quick question just to make sure i am doin this right...my teaching assistant experience that was NOT paid goes under acadmic activities right?

right

So this is kind of a random question, and sorry if it has already been addressed, but do a lot of people apply to both the osteopathic and allopathic schools at MSU? I want to apply to both, as I am a Michigan resident, but I don't want to hurt my chances of getting in to either. I am hoping that they wouldn't even know if I apply to both the MD and DO school...

So this is kind of a random question, and sorry if it has already been addressed, but do a lot of people apply to both the osteopathic and allopathic schools at MSU? I want to apply to both, as I am a Michigan resident, but I don't want to hurt my chances of getting in to either. I am hoping that they wouldn't even know if I apply to both the MD and DO school...

People do that all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, I am trying to write my personal essay for MSU-COM... I thought about touching upon a bad experience I had shadowing a DO physician- but then I remembered that the physician went to MSU-COM!

So I was wondering if I should still mention the experience in the essay? I'm kind of hesitant that they'll be less than happy that one of their own alumni provided such a bad example. He's kind of well known around MSU, or so he tells me. :confused:

Well, I am trying to write my personal essay for MSU-COM... I thought about touching upon a bad experience I had shadowing a DO physician- but then I remembered that the physician went to MSU-COM!

So I was wondering if I should still mention the experience in the essay? I'm kind of hesitant that they'll be less than happy that one of their own alumni provided such a bad example. He's kind of well known around MSU, or so he tells me. :confused:

Is it necessary to drop the physician's name? If you put down multiple shadowing/volunteer experiences where you engaged with a doctor, then it would be a guess as to who it really is.

I don't understand why you would even talk about a BAD experience w/a DO physician... Kinda contrary of what you're trying to prove isn't it?

I don't understand why you would even talk about a BAD experience w/a DO physician... Kinda contrary of what you're trying to prove isn't it?

Yea, that is what I was wondering about... I'm just brainstorming for ideas for the essay (I'm drawing a blank- it's so frustrating!). Thanks for the input. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a quick que. I am still completeing my secondary. But on my primary, I said that I planned on retaking the MCAT, which I did, but I wont be able to release my scores for another three weeks. Will MSU-COM wait for these scores or go along with my old ones which meet their cutoffs?

I have a quick que. I am still completeing my secondary. But on my primary, I said that I planned on retaking the MCAT, which I did, but I wont be able to release my scores for another three weeks. Will MSU-COM wait for these scores or go along with my old ones which meet their cutoffs?

They will wait for your new ones, your application would be put on hold. I would call to make sure that they are aware of this though, but they should have from AACOMAS.

They will wait for your new ones, your application would be put on hold. I would call to make sure that they are aware of this though, but they should have from AACOMAS.

Ok thanks..also do you think that having everything in by the end of September is too late for this school?

Ok thanks..also do you think that having everything in by the end of September is too late for this school?

I would say that it is worth it because I know people that have turned in the secondary in october and still got in. The thing with MSUCOM is they like to finish their class early by meeting every week on Tuesday to review applicants. It use to be common for MSUCOM to fill the class by December, but now that the class size has expanded to 300 students it takes them longer. Definitely try to get it in ASAP though!

hey guys,
:biglove:I just received an admission offer for the class of 2014. :biglove:

GO GREEN

GO WHITE

hey guys,

GO GREEN

GO WHITE

Wow, congrats! I didn't realize they were reviewing this week... my application was JUST completed yesterday. Hope that won't hurt me too much.

hey guys,

GO GREEN

GO WHITE

Wow! Congrats! What date were you considered complete? And if you don't mind my asking, what are your stats? You can PM me if you'd like. I'm just trying to get a feel for when I may hear back.

I retook the mcat as well and addressed this on my primary, but I didn't dotoo well so I didn't release them. Will my App be put on hold or will they review it as is? It has been a long time since I got my scores so I figured they would know, but maybe I am assuming too much?

I retook the mcat as well and addressed this on my primary, but I didn't dotoo well so I didn't release them. Will my App be put on hold or will they review it as is? It has been a long time since I got my scores so I figured they would know, but maybe I am assuming too much?

I would definitely call to make sure because you never know.

I don't know what to say haha

Ask if they are holding your application to wait on the MCAT results and if they say yes than request them not to and to just use your old MCAT results.

Ask if they are holding your application to wait on the MCAT results and if they say yes than request them not to and to just use your old MCAT results.

Thanks. I wrote them an email. I hope this doesn't delay me since I was complete on august 5th.

Sweet...I'm glad acceptances are going out now..

hey guys,

GO GREEN

GO WHITE

This is an interesting post below....why the change in heart? So I take it you're a re-applicant or a last year waitlist?? The post below was in the MD thread "Schools I wouldn't apply to again"

Originally Posted by ofoshoukno
MSUCOM= Seriously who do they think they are? Someone should remind them that they aren't an IVY league Medical school.

Toledo Medical School= a certain PHD professor back stabbed me in the interview asked me all these weird questions
kept making counter points about everything I say
I knew I was screwed
so then decision day for the admissions committee
she told the Dean of the Medical school
that I was a liar
and fraudulent
said that "I put my legs on the table" when I spoke to her
made up all this bullcrap about me
I got rejected, my stats were better than Toledo by a long shot...

The sad part was that after all the thank you letters I wrote, and ***** kissing I did, it was all undone because some jag PHD didn't like my demeanor? I mean if this is a way of letting under qualified applicants accepted, then it sure as heck works.

This is an interesting post below....why the change in heart? So I take it you're a re-applicant or a last year waitlist?? The post below was in the MD thread "Schools I wouldn't apply to again"

MSUCOM= Seriously who do they think they are? Someone should remind them that they aren't an IVY league Medical school.

Toledo Medical School= a certain PHD professor back stabbed me in the interview asked me all these weird questions
I knew I was screwed
that I was a liar
and fraudulent

The sad part was that after all the thank you letters I wrote, and ***** kissing I did, it was all undone because some jag PHD didn't like my demeanor? I mean if this is a way of letting under qualified applicants accepted, then it sure as heck works.

Haha, way to call him out.

I sent them an email, and they acknowledged it. They said it wasn't on hold. I hope they don't count it against me? Also, didn't you say you spoke to someone in the admissions' office and they said they wouldn't be reviewing until the 2nd week of September?

Can it be possible that only one SDN member got in today? (on a Thursday, at that).

Only reason I ask bc I am anxiously waiting haha

I knew I was screwed
that I was a liar
and fraudulent

Maybe if you posted the entire story behind my post, instead of selectively posting a random B.S. tidbit, you will see that I called out MSU-COM because they required ridiculous(yes I still think they are ridiculous) pre-reqs which most med schools don't require aka Genetics, biochem, etc...

And thanks for conveying my strong interest in D.O. schools because that example above is precisely why I didn't apply M.D. after taking the MCAT(The Toledo program which I applied to was called Medstart, where a prospective candidate can be accepted to Toldeo's Medical School without an MCAT score).

And BTW douchebag, I am not a reapplicant. I got accepted in 10 days after submitting my secondary to MSU, without an interview. Perhaps because I had a 3.9 GPA(3.93 BCPM), 29 MCAT and Mother Theresa like Extra-curricular Activities which would have made me more than competitive for most MD schools let alone DO schools.

So up yours.

Last edited:
Maybe if you posted the entire story behind my post, instead of selectively posting a random B.S. tidbit, you will see that I called out MSU-COM because they required ridiculous(yes I still think they are ridiculous) pre-reqs which most med schools don't require aka Genetics, biochem, etc...

And yes thanks for conveying my strong interest in D.O. schools because that example above is precisely why I didn't apply M.D.

And BTW douchebag, I am not a reapplicant. I got accepted in 10 days after submitting my secondary to MSU, without an interview. Perhaps because I had a 3.9 GPA(3.93 BCPM), 29 MCAT and Mother Theresa like Extra-curricular Activities which would have made me more than competitive for most MD schools let alone DO schools.

So up yours.

They don't normally do interviews... so that isn't anything special. But I am surprised that you received an acceptance during the first week of september because they usually only start reviewing applications the second week. Generally the first meeting is just to get things situated, but again congrats. If you do plan on going there hopefully I will see you there.

They don't normally do interviews... so that isn't anything special. But I am surprised that you received an acceptance during the first week of september because they usually only start reviewing applications the second week. Generally the first meeting is just to get things situated, but again congrats. If you do plan on going there hopefully I will see you there.

Thanks for the kind words,

If I am not mistaken, the first batch of acceptances went out last year on the 3rd of September as well.

Thanks for the kind words,

If I am not mistaken, the first batch of acceptances went out last year on the 3rd of September as well.

Yea, that is what last year's thread shows. A large number of posters said they had an acceptance that first week of September.

Many schools require "ridiculous" pre-reqs like biochem and genetics.

Anyway, admitted.

I keep getting an email titled, "Admission Policies, MSUCOM sites" that basically outlines info on their new pre-clerkship program sites in Macomb and Detroit. Is anyone else getting these?

I keep getting an email titled, "Admission Policies, MSUCOM sites" that basically outlines info on their new pre-clerkship program sites in Macomb and Detroit. Is anyone else getting these?

Yeah, I got one this morning. My heart literally skipped about 5 beats because I thought MAYBE today would be the day...

sadly we must still wait.

Yeah, I got one this morning. My heart literally skipped about 5 beats because I thought MAYBE today would be the day...

sadly we must still wait.

Same, I hate when they send this crap, it always makes my heart skip a beat.

Many schools require "ridiculous" pre-reqs like biochem and genetics.

Anyway, admitted.

congrats,

btw- they are ridiculous. especially for a non-science major such as myself, ive had to take an extra 12 credits just to fulfill MSU-COM's pre-reqs. Oh well :shrug:

And thanks for conveying my strong interest in D.O. schools because that example above is precisely why I didn't apply M.D. after taking the MCAT(The Toledo program which I applied to was called Medstart, where a prospective candidate can be accepted to Toldeo's Medical School without an MCAT score).

So up yours.

Wow you're really classy with all the name calling. A little touchy I guess. I'm was asking why you posted MSUCOM as a school you wouldn't apply to again. That's what the heading of the thread was called. I am not here to argue with you, it looks like you would win since you're such a nasty, mean person. Good luck to you!!

Wow you're really classy with all the name calling. A little touchy I guess. I'm was asking why you posted MSUCOM as a school you wouldn't apply to again. That's what the heading of the thread was called. I am not here to argue with you, it looks like you would win since you're such a nasty, mean person. Good luck to you!!

Nothing personal against you really, it was unfortunately you who started off on the wrong foot. I never applied to MSU-COM twice, it was a school I didn't really look into because of their "distinct" LOR forms, and tons of extra classes which they required(same reasons why a lot of people in this thread have complained about).

Good luck to you as well!

I got accepted to MSU-COM today from the 2009-2010 applicant pool!!!! Anyone else receive happy news today?!?!?

MSU-COM Class of 2014!!!

woo hoo! I'm in (class of 2014 here I come :eek:)!

Does anyone know how the education at the satellite campuses compares to the EL campus? I'm thinking about attending the Detroit campus (but, I wasn't sure if I'd miss out on anything).

woo hoo! I'm in (class of 2014 here I come :eek:)!

Does anyone know how the education at the satellite campuses compares to the EL campus? I'm thinking about attending the Detroit campus (but, I wasn't sure if I'd miss out on anything).

Congrats! I'm pretty sure it's nearly the same bc I have friends at both... the number of people at each differs heavily, but I think that's about it.

When were you guys complete? I am eagerly and impatiently waiting....

Congratulations to all who got accepted :thumbup: :laugh:
I was wondering are you guys are in-state or out of state? Has anyone who is out of state got accepted recently???

Congratulations to all who got accepted :thumbup: :laugh:
I was wondering are you guys are in-state or out of state? Has anyone who is out of state got accepted recently???

I am an in-state student. I was complete on August 24th. I'm completely stunned about getting accepted only 2 weeks later.

Good luck to everyone else! I'm super excited to start here next summer!

I have been a follower of this forum for a while now and thought I would finally join SDN now that people are hearing back from MSUCOM. Good luck everybody and congrats to those of you who have already heard back. I am still anxiously waiting. :confused:

I have been a follower of this forum for a while now and thought I would finally join SDN now that people are hearing back from MSUCOM. Good luck everybody and congrats to those of you who have already heard back. I am still anxiously waiting. :confused:

Join the club...it is a long process, and, for MSU-COM, we get to count it one Wednesday at a time.