MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah there's about about a one month break between first and second year.

Some may have a differing opinion but this is mine:

MSUCOM has less vacation time than well... every school I have looked at (all Michigan schools, etc). Most schools have a longer Summer break between year one and year two with the purpose of either vacation or research.

I would say the workload is slightly larger because we have a few more classes (not just OMM) however the big factor is classes are much more spread out. Start Year 1 in June (opposed to August/Sept), Summer break late July (opposed to May/June), "end second year" aka start board study late May (opposed to late April/Early May).

The big perk of this is we don't have to do anatomy on top of the rest of Fall classes.

ahh I see it now. I swear I've looked at that schedule soo many times and was convinced we had no time off and that's what I prepared myself for. I'm excited now!

Members don't see this ad.

ahh I see it now. I swear I've looked at that schedule soo many times and was convinced we had no time off and that's what I prepared myself for. I'm excited now!

Awesome, yeah no break would be brutal haha.

Wait, so you're saying that since MSUCOM has less vacation time (1 month roughly) they are less stressed than MSUCHM? Did current students tell you that the workload "seemed" more spread out than other med schools?

Of course, the only way to measure the difference would be to interview people that had gone to both med schools...impossible!

On a somewhat unrelated note, CHM has less vacation time than most MD schools. I think their year one ends in mid June.

I've heard varying opinions on whether they're actually more stressed or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks rm2908. Where do you live in Maccomb? I am living in CA. I don't think I can come to Maccomb to search for a good apartment before school start. Do you know what good apartment on this site are? How about The Harbours Apt about 1 mile east of Maccomb campus?

Anyone know of a good private loan to apply for????? These unsubsidized loans have way to high of an interest rate.

Thanks rm2908. Where do you live in Maccomb? I am living in CA. I don't think I can come to Maccomb to search for a good apartment before school start. Do you know what good apartment on this site are? How about The Harbours Apt about 1 mile east of Maccomb campus?

There's a lot very close by that are nice...
Northport Apartments
Lakeside Village
Lakeside Terraces
Clinton Place Apartments
The Harbours

I know of 4 people who live at the harbours.. they seem to think it's decent. it's about a 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic. a lot of students also live at lakeside village and northport.. and clinton place are also very nice. if you contact the office @ msucom-muc they should have a list of recommended apartments and information on them that all comes from current students.

Hey Guys,

For all those accepted, when did you take the MCAT? Is July too late to take it?

Thanks
...and Congrats to all those accepted:thumbup:

Hey Guys,

For all those accepted, when did you take the MCAT? Is July too late to take it?

Thanks

i believe MSUCOM holds all their apps to review them at the same time. but to be safe, july is probably the latest. i think you can submit your aacomas without one and update it later, which i would advise.

i believe MSUCOM holds all their apps to review them at the same time. but to be safe, july is probably the latest. i think you can submit your aacomas without one and update it later, which i would advise.
Thanks klmnop,

I was just wondering because I talked to one of the admissions counselor ladies and she told me that taking the MCAT in July is completely acceptable (Im not applying until the 2011-2012 cycle) but that seems to be cutting it close to me...but thanks!

Thanks klmnop,

I was just wondering because I talked to one of the admissions counselor ladies and she told me that taking the MCAT in July is completely acceptable (Im not applying until the 2011-2012 cycle) but that seems to be cutting it close to me...but thanks!

I took the MCAT for the second time the very last time it was offered for the year, September 12, and I don't think I started my AACOMAS application until October and I still got in. I'm sure it's not advisable to do that, but I don't think July is too late if that's what works best for you.

Hey everyone I called last Monday about 1.5 weeks ago and found out that I was in the top ten now. Anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement in the past week or so? Anyone been accepted in that time? Any friends who got moved off?

Thanks

Hey everyone I called last Monday about 1.5 weeks ago and found out that I was in the top ten now. Anyone know if there has been any waitlist movement in the past week or so? Anyone been accepted in that time? Any friends who got moved off?

Thanks

I got an offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT for the second time the very last time it was offered for the year, September 12, and I don't think I started my AACOMAS application until October and I still got in. I'm sure it's not advisable to do that, but I don't think July is too late if that's what works best for you.

Yeah basically same story here. I think I re-took the MCAT on Sept. 2nd, finished all my AMCAS secondaries before I started my AACOMAS secondaries, applied to MSU in January and got in. That is probably the exception, not the rule, since they have much earlier deadlines than most D.O. schools, but it obviously worked for katwaa and me :)

Thanks

There has been movements, since I got in less than 2 weeks ago. That being said, East Lansing and Detroit site are now full and the chances of us getting in any of them is slim to none according to admission lady I talked to.
GOOD LUCK! I am sure you will hear soon! :)

Hi guys,
Does anyone knows how is the waiting list for East Lansing site looks like? I have been in the waiting list for quite awhile now, May 28th is the last day for any change.
THANKS

Hey Guys,

Thanks

I took my MCAT in August and didn't finish my secondary application till late December and I still got in. Granted, I was in the alternate list (option of going the next year) for a month.

GOOD LUCK

I just withdrew yesterday. Good luck!

Just to let you know that I sent a letter to the Admissions yesterday declining the acceptance offer and I had the East Lansing location, so there will be one opening in EL for sure...

Just to let you know that I sent a letter to the Admissions yesterday declining the acceptance offer and I had the East Lansing location, so there will be one opening in EL for sure...

had you previously accepted it? when do you choose a location after they accept you because i just got off the waitlist?

had you previously accepted it? when do you choose a location after they accept you because i just got off the waitlist?

I was accepted in November (got an email). I received the Graduate Application and the Choice of Location forms within the few days via snail mail. I filled them out and mailed those back right away (with a nonrefundable deposit :(). I recieved an email in about a week confirming my location in EL. Based on the previous posts, there are no more spots in EL. Now, as people withdraw, people from the "Location WaitList" (or someone who was accepted awile ago but didn't get their first choice location) will be pulled off to take my spot... You are probably not going to get into EL today, but others might still withdraw... Congrats on getting accepted! I guess there is a Potluck scheduled I won't be attending...

Seeing as it appears I would most likely have to be at the Macomb campus, can any of you take a stab at selling me on this location. Keep in mind I live under an hour from the site and I know how much the website and such is 'playing it up'.

Also, how does it work for year 3 and 4, if you are designated to specific sites for years 1 and 2.

Seeing as it appears I would most likely have to be at the Macomb campus, can any of you take a stab at selling me on this location. Keep in mind I live under an hour from the site and I know how much the website and such is 'playing it up'.

Also, how does it work for year 3 and 4, if you are designated to specific sites for years 1 and 2.

I am going to Detroit campus but I would go to Macomb before EL too. I visited all three campuses.

I personally like the satellite campuses because the class size is only 50... You should get to know all of your classmates well, but big enough that there should be diversity.

The macomb facilities are brand new. I think they just opened like 3 months ago, so everything is state of the art.

Years 3 and 4 are clinical rotations and most of the rotation spots are in southeastern Michigan anyways so that is another plus.

I also like the area of the campus as well. Even though it is very close to Hall and by malls and other shopping/ entertainment, it is on Macomb Community College campus (separate enough so you don't have to mingle). It has nature areas around, I even saw some deer run by while I was visiting.

Last plus would be that it basically shares a parking lot with a Henry Ford hospital so you are very close if you want to do some shadowing or such.

I might have gone to Macomb if I didn't find a really good deal on a house near the Detroit campus.

I am going to Detroit campus but I would go to Macomb before EL too. I visited all three campuses.

I personally like the satellite campuses because the class size is only 50... You should get to know all of your classmates well, but big enough that there should be diversity.

The macomb facilities are brand new. I think they just opened like 3 months ago, so everything is state of the art.

Years 3 and 4 are clinical rotations and most of the rotation spots are in southeastern Michigan anyways so that is another plus.

I also like the area of the campus as well. Even though it is very close to Hall and by malls and other shopping/ entertainment, it is on Macomb Community College campus (separate enough so you don't have to mingle). It has nature areas around, I even saw some deer run by while I was visiting.

Last plus would be that it basically shares a parking lot with a Henry Ford hospital so you are very close if you want to do some shadowing or such.

I might have gone to Macomb if I didn't find a really good deal on a house near the Detroit campus.

Is detroit full, i havent sent in my selection yet

Is detroit full, i havent sent in my selection yet

Detroit is currently full... there is a waiting list to get into the campus but there should be a lot of movement in the next couple weeks. Good luck!

I'm going to withdraw from the Detroit campus soon, just want to wait to for the paperwork from my #1 school.

I will also be withdrawing from the DMC campus after the paperwork arrives in the mail, good luck to all those wait-listed! :luck:

I will also be withdrawing from the DMC campus after the paperwork arrives in the mail, good luck to all those wait-listed! :luck:

WSU strikes again... looking forward to being future colleagues, i'm sure

does anyone know if spots for East Lansing are still open?

Does anybody want to switch with me- i'm at the dmc campus and looking for anyone situated on the east lansing campus. thank you so much- if you pm me i'll respond immediately. I already have great housing deals set up in detroit that i can assist you with.

Everyone should be aware that MSUCOM seems to be moving some classes entirely online with no physical lectures. If that's not your thing, don't come here. It's not clear yet how far they're going to go with it, but the second years just had their entire respiratory and dermatology sections online, and incoming second years currently have their entire pharmacology course online with no physical lectures.

It gives you some flexibility for learning on your own schedule, but some people really need physical lectures, and those people will suffer here.

With that in mind, it's best you choose a laptop to buy that you really enjoy looking at.

I love online lectures. There were a couple classes that were online for my undergrad and I was able to pay attention a lot better then being their physically. But I know with others it's quite the opposite.

Anyways, will the recorded lectures be on the same time as the physical lectures? Since the group I meeting start right after lecture, I was curious if I would be able listen to lecture at home before the lab meeting.:confused:

all my science classes in undergrad were recorded. with the amount of information that was given to us there was no way i could follow along and keep every minute detail if i only went to class. lecture video/audio is amazing to get every detail and i wouldn't have done well any other way.

Hi everyone, I am currently waiting for my AACOMAS app to get under review (waiting on one final transcript to be marked as received), and was wondering about how ,ong it takes at this time of yr for AACOMAS to transmit it to MSUCOM and how long it takes MSUCOM to make a decision after receiving your secondary? I read how some people got an answer in a week that they were accepted, but I didnt know if this also applies for OOS applicants?
thanks for your input