MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spence

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a '09-'10 thread for MSU, so I thought I would start one. This thread is for pre-DO students interested in attending MSU-COM.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys received the secondary app yet? I was wondering how many essay type questions there are, and if there is a character imit on them?

Have you guys received the secondary app yet? I was wondering how many essay type questions there are, and if there is a character imit on them?

One essay question, set to be one-page in length with font no smaller than 10pt.

I hadn't even considered applying to MSU, as I so desperately want to get out of this state. While working on my PS, I've realized a lot about what sort of physician I want to be, and MSU seems to be the best fit. And in-state tuition doesn't hurt, hah.

But it looks like I'm shooting myself in the foot by taking the July 31st MCAT :(

I hadn't even considered applying to MSU, as I so desperately want to get out of this state. While working on my PS, I've realized a lot about what sort of physician I want to be, and MSU seems to be the best fit. And in-state tuition doesn't hurt, hah.

But it looks like I'm shooting myself in the foot by taking the July 31st MCAT :(

its ok...MSU is also my number 1 choice and im also taking the july 31st mcat :( where are u taking it? lol

its ok...MSU is also my number 1 choice and im also taking the july 31st mcat :( where are u taking it? lol

The testing center on MSU's campus, haha. At least it will be a short walk. I'm a student here.

Edit: I should add that my adviser told me to call MSUCOM and ask if that was too late to be taking it. I called, and whoever answered said it'd be okay. But now I look at the website and get uneasy :(

Edit 2: Also, not entirely sure why anyone OOS would apply here. Over $60,000 A YEAR?!

Last edited:
The testing center on MSU's campus, haha. At least it will be a short walk. I'm a student here.

Edit: I should add that my adviser told me to call MSUCOM and ask if that was too late to be taking it. I called, and whoever answered said it'd be okay. But now I look at the website and get uneasy :(

Edit 2: Also, not entirely sure why anyone OOS would apply here. Over $60,000 A YEAR?!

yeah i met with the admission counsellor a couple weeks back she said it was okay...but she said as soon as u get the result...fax an unofficial copy to them so they can make a decision on that basis... :) dont wait for it to be officially sent thru amcas
and yeah...i dunno why anyone wud...its expensive PLUS def one of the harder schools to get into.

Faxing it is great advice. Thanks :)

yeah i met with the admission counsellor a couple weeks back she said it was okay...but she said as soon as u get the result...fax an unofficial copy to them so they can make a decision on that basis... :) dont wait for it to be officially sent thru amcas
and yeah...i dunno why anyone wud...its expensive PLUS def one of the harder schools to get into.

Definitely a good idea, was it Terri? She is an excellent advisor and has helped me greatly throughout my application processes.

MSU is my number one choice too, I haven't received the secondary yet but it is definitely a good idea to start organization your volunteer work and counting the hours because you will have to present that information.

I have been looking to apply to MSU-COM, but I am a little confused when I see an allopathic school on the same campus that is a college of "Human Medicine". How/why is this the case @ MSU? The college of Human Medicine (M.D.) seems to hold more osteopathic values than most allopathic schools.... can someone explain? Thanks.

Definitely a good idea, was it Terri? She is an excellent advisor and has helped me greatly throughout my application processes.

MSU is my number one choice too, I haven't received the secondary yet but it is definitely a good idea to start organization your volunteer work and counting the hours because you will have to present that information.

Yes I met with Terri. She was nice, altough she told me I do not have a great chance and I'm better off waiting a year. lol
I am applying this year tho.

If you don't mind, what are your stats? You can PM me if u want to :)
and I see you are in state as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking to apply to MSU-COM, but I am a little confused when I see an allopathic school on the same campus that is a college of "Human Medicine". How/why is this the case @ MSU? The college of Human Medicine (M.D.) seems to hold more osteopathic values than most allopathic schools.... can someone explain? Thanks.

It is a little weird, isn't it? I think the MD school was established earlier, and the DO school was creating with real emphasis on educating primary care physicians who will work in Michigan. I think it's worked, as Michigan is a great state for DOs.

At least in East Lansing, many of the classes are taught to both MD and DO students at once

Yup - for 1st year, almost all of our classes are together, in Conrad Hall. (COM does anatomy in the summer, and CHM does it in the fall). Although with new campuses sprouting up everywhere, I don't know how that changes stuff. But, I think COM is older? CHM started in 1964, anyway.

Yup - for 1st year, almost all of our classes are together, in Conrad Hall. (COM does anatomy in the summer, and CHM does it in the fall). Although with new campuses sprouting up everywhere, I don't know how that changes stuff. But, I think COM is older? CHM started in 1964, anyway.

I didn't have time to check when I posted earlier. According to the website, MSUCOM was founded in 1969.

I'm having a hard time figuring out who I'd want to write my letters, assuming I get that far in the application process.

I didn't have time to check when I posted earlier. According to the website, MSUCOM was founded in 1969.

Okay - so, not an appreciable difference, really. Interesting!
It really isn't weird that we take 1st year basic sciences together - there's chances to meet more friends. Though it gets really crowded in the fall, before everyone stops going to lecture...

I haven't sent in my primary yet, but hope to do so soon, as I am still working on my PS. (Plus I don't get my MCAT back for another two weeks or so).
For any of you who already are working on secondaries:what kind of questions do the evaluators have to answer?

Last edited:
Sent out my two copies of the supplemental application today and $85 processing fee. My committee letter has been mailed to MSU, so now I have to wait on my second evaluation form--should be done by next week.

This was the most boring secondary application (next to Nova's).

Sent out my two copies of the supplemental application today and $85 processing fee. My committee letter has been mailed to MSU, so now I have to wait on my second evaluation form--should be done by next week.

This was the most boring secondary application (next to Nova's).

Nice, getting on top of things early, I haven't gotten my secondary yet.

How long are you guys describing the duties and responsibilities on the non-academic activities page?

I noticed there examples are just a few words, so I was planning on following that format too.

How long are you guys describing the duties and responsibilities on the non-academic activities page?

I noticed there examples are just a few words, so I was planning on following that format too.

That's what I did, it is just enough to describe the duty.

After the secondary application is received will MSUCOM notify the applicant on their secure application page? I know it says that it will when they have received your evaluation forms. I was just wondering since they should have my application by now and I haven't heard anything. The forms probably won't be there until early next week. Thanks for any input!!!

After the secondary application is received will MSUCOM notify the applicant on their secure application page? I know it says that it will when they have received your evaluation forms. I was just wondering since they should have my application by now and I haven't heard anything. The forms probably won't be there until early next week. Thanks for any input!!!

Did you use this link .https://applstatus.com.msu.edu/.?

The page looks identical to their login for the supplemental material, but an e-mail will be sent ASAP with an updated status of your file...

My status finally shows that my supplemental application has been received, except for the "Osteopathic Interest Evaluation." Is this the short survey we had to fill out with check boxes? I know I filled that out twice and put both copies in the envelope.

My Evaluation forms will be mailed by the end of this week.

My status finally shows that my supplemental application has been received, except for the "Osteopathic Interest Evaluation." Is this the short survey we had to fill out with check boxes? I know I filled that out twice and put both copies in the envelope.

My Evaluation forms will be mailed by the end of this week.

The same thing happened to me. I had all my stuff there for a few weeks and it showed "Y" next to everything except my evaluations. So I kept checking every couple of days to see if my evaluations had arrived and in doing so, I saw that the "Disciplinary Statement" had changed to "N." So I called them up and they said that they were in the process of switching over to a new system and it had some glitches. So, if you know you sent it, my bet is that they got it and it's just their computer messing up. You might want to call just to make sure, however. To answer your question, yes the "Osteopathic Interest Survey" was the one with the check boxes :)

Anyone complete yet ?

As of today, I am complete at MSUCOM :) When I spoke with an admissions lady a few weeks ago, she said that decisions would probably start being made in September. I don't know if I can just sit around and wait that long, haha.

The same thing happened to me. I had all my stuff there for a few weeks and it showed "Y" next to everything except my evaluations. So I kept checking every couple of days to see if my evaluations had arrived and in doing so, I saw that the "Disciplinary Statement" had changed to "N." So I called them up and they said that they were in the process of switching over to a new system and it had some glitches. So, if you know you sent it, my bet is that they got it and it's just their computer messing up. You might want to call just to make sure, however. To answer your question, yes the "Osteopathic Interest Survey" was the one with the check boxes :)

Much appreciated...congrats on being finished...

I haven't sent in my primary yet, but hope to do so soon, as I am still working on my PS. (Plus I don't get my MCAT back for another two weeks or so).
For any of you who already are working on secondaries:what kind of questions do the evaluators have to answer?

Here is the form for this year:

Attachments

• 9-Eval_Form_and_Instructions.doc
    50.5 KB · Views: 542
Good advice...I called the admissions office this afternoon to double check on my "Osteopathic Interest Survey."

The office rep told me that they had all of my material, but, due to a computer glitch, the status of each item was not accurately displayed in their "file completion" e-mails.

Wow! I can't believe you guys are already complete. :thumbup:

anyone applying for/know anyone who is in the extended curriculum program?

Does anyone know when MSU will review the files? Being out of state, I don't know if they will review me later than the in state. I turned in my file in June.

I believe August...first acceptances should go out early September

.D..escribe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character.

.Does this experience/challenge have to be recent (ie a college experience..)? I have an experience I want to write about but it's from a while ago.. think it's ok to use??

.D..escribe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character.

.Does this experience/challenge have to be recent (ie a college experience..)? I have an experience I want to write about but it's from a while ago.. think it's ok to use??

It can be any time, it does not have to be recent.

.D..escribe a personal experience or ethical challenge you have faced that has influenced the development of your character..

In my PS, I talked about an ethical challenge that influenced me and led me to pursue DO. Is it ok to use this same experience? I am writing a completely new essay going into more detail about it.

In my PS, I talked about an ethical challenge that influenced me and led me to pursue DO. Is it ok to use this same experience? I am writing a completely new essay going into more detail about it.

The CHM application asks a similar question and it says to not use any experience already in the application somewhere...I realize COM is a different school, but I would imagine you wouldn't want to use the same experience. If it were me, I would talk about something else.

Actually, there are 3 colleges of medicine: CHM, COM, and CVM (vet school). It's the only university in the country with 3 medical schools.

Actually, there are 3 colleges of medicine: CHM, COM, and CVM (vet school). It's the only university in the country with 3 medical schools.

Not trying to start a flame war, but the Vet school, isn't a Med school.

I know that minimum to get a secondary app is 2.7 science... Does anybody know if there is anything I could do to get a secondary if i have a 2.68 ??

I know that minimum to get a secondary app is 2.7 science... Does anybody know if there is anything I could do to get a secondary if i have a 2.68 ??

Is this your official, verified AACOMAS GPA?? If so, there's probably nothing you can do for this cycle since MSU likes folks to have everything in before September for the best chance of acceptance. I think the only way they'd likely send you a secondary is if you were to update them of a summer course that you've completed that would likely push your GPA over 2.7. If you don't get in anywhere this year, I would suggest retaking a bunch of courses for next year if you have the time to do so to get that GPA up over 3.0. What's your MCAT? If that's really good, maybe they'll forgive you for being 0.02 points away from meeting the minimum.

Last edited by a moderator: