MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just got accepted today in the middle of class. I couldn't process another word the prof. said for the rest of the hour. Good luck to everyone! Stick with it. Good things happen to those who really want it. :laugh::luck::laugh:

Got in today... I was so shocked because I didn't interview...
Congrats to all of u guys..
Looking forward to it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Do accepted students get to choose which campus u go in?

I saw a lot of people commenting that they weren't applying to MSUCOM becaues of the high OOS tuition.
I'm a first year at the school right now and can tell you that a lot of OOSers recieve scholarships and what not that pretty much bring down tuition to the same rate as the in state folk. Dont know exact numbers and I'm not going to venture to guess. If you are really interested in this school (and you should be) and you feel like the tuition is too high, speak with an admissions rep and ask them how many OOSers get the scholarships.

I saw a lot of people commenting that they weren't applying to MSUCOM becaues of the high OOS tuition.
I'm a first year at the school right now and can tell you that a lot of OOSers recieve scholarships and what not that pretty much bring down tuition to the same rate as the in state folk. Dont know exact numbers and I'm not going to venture to guess. If you are really interested in this school (and you should be) and you feel like the tuition is too high, speak with an admissions rep and ask them how many OOSers get the scholarships.

how much is in-state tuition?

Got in today... I was so shocked because I didn't interview...
Congrats to all of u guys..
Looking forward to it...

Congrats!

For those who have gotten acceptances, when were you complete and when did you hear back?

Thanks!

it would be helpful if people accepted can provide the date of completion and any other stats they don't mind sharing.

Thanks and best of luck to all.

Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.68
MCAT = 29 S (P:9 B:10 V: 10)
Volunteer/shadowing/leadership activities

Got my applications in and waited ~3.5 weeks. Good luck to everyone who got accepted!! If you're still waiting...HANG IN THERE!

Anyone that is accepted going to the school visit tomorrow morning?

For those of you that have been accepted, what site have you/plan to pick??

I recieved my letter in the mail on Monday, and don't know how long to delay. I would really like to tour all 3 campuses. Right now, I am really interested in DMC because of the clinical exposure I'd get, and the location of itself. I am tired of being in Lansing since I have been here for 4 years for undergrad.

Let me know what you guys are thinking,

I recieved my letter in the mail on Monday, and don't know how long to delay. I would really like to tour all 3 campuses. Right now, I am really interested in DMC because of the clinical exposure I'd get, and the location of itself. I am tired of being in Lansing since I have been here for 4 years for undergrad.

I probably will be choosing DMC due to the same reasons you listed. I like the fact that I would be getting tons of clinical exposure in a major urban area. Lansing is nice but i'm ready for a change of scenery since i grew up right around there

I probably will be choosing DMC due to the same reasons you listed. I like the fact that I would be getting tons of clinical exposure in a major urban area. Lansing is nice but i'm ready for a change of scenery since i grew up right around there

I am living in Detroit right now, and I toured the campus today. It's beautiful inside, state-of-the-art, and brand new as you all know. HOWEVER, just bc you go to MSUCOM-Detroit does not mean you will be placed in Detroit for clerkships. It's based on a lottery so there are equal chances of landing in Detroit for anyone at any campus in our 3rd year.

I loved everyone I met at the DMC campus, and I believe I will be choosing it too. As much as I wanted the college life, I'm here to get on my grind, and I do think the smaller classrooms and nicer facilities will eventually be better for my career.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think you get any clinical exposure at the dmc, Im almost certain that the DMC in midtown detroit is off limits to MSU students unless you are taking an elective or volunteering. All your clinical rotations are done at 20 other sites, none of which include the DMC. Unless something has changed since last year.

Do accepted students get to choose which campus u go in?

I was maybe contemplating Macomb, anyone have any updates in regards to the facilities there ?

Cumulative GPA = 3.75
Science GPA = 3.68
MCAT = 29 S (P:9 B:10 V: 10)
Volunteer/shadowing/leadership activities

Got my applications in and waited ~3.5 weeks. Good luck to everyone who got accepted!! If you're still waiting...HANG IN THERE!

Great stats, did you consider any allopathic schools?

I am interested in possibly going to Macomb, I might drive up to take a tour of it.

i was complete on the

Last edited:
i was complete on the 24th, have a 3.6 cum and 3.44 science, 25 (9,8,8) with good extracurriculars and am doing my undergrad at Michigan State (dunno if that helps), do i have a shot to get in soon (next month or so)?

Science GPA is a bit low for MSU-COM, but your MCAT scores are decent for MSU-COM. I think you have a shot.

my application was complete about a few days ago at MSUCOM but i just got my new retake MCAT score and submitted it to AACOMAS. how long does it take for MSUCOM to see my new score or do i have to call them and let them know to look at it? because i know i mentioned on the primary that i was retaking in August

Last edited:
Great stats, did you consider any allopathic schools?

No i didn't consider any allopathic schools. I have always been drawn to osteopathic medicine and knew this is where i wanted to end up! Thanks for the compliment! :)

No i didn't consider any allopathic schools. I have always been drawn to osteopathic medicine and knew this is where i wanted to end up! Thanks for the compliment! :)
I love to see true supporters of osteopathic medicine. I am with you.

my application was complete about 1 1/2 weeks ago at MSUCOM but i just got my new retake MCAT score and submitted it to AACOMAS. how long does it take for MSUCOM to see my new score or do i have to call them and let them know to look at it? because i know i mentioned on the primary that i was retaking in August

Since AACOMAS sucks at releasing scores, I would fax them in right away. Call to confirm to make sure they got them. I knew someone who faxed their score into the admissions office this cycle and was accepted soon after.

I visited here and everyone was really, really nice. I have more questions that maybe a current student can help with.

1. Do students have problems pulling up documents for class with a mac?
2. Will they send a list of immunizations we need and when?
3. How likely is it that you will get your first choice for the site of your rotations?

Thanks!!

Just got my acceptance to class of 2014!!!!!

application was complete 9/22 accepted 9/30

Stats:
overall gpa 3.81
science gpa 3.8

MCAT 26P
V 8, PS 9, B 9

Good amount of Reserach/volunteer work/exctracurricular activities

was accepted today

complete 9/18
accepeted 9/30

3.79 non-science
3.69 science
29Q MCAT

best of luck to everyone applying, be patient and hopeful!

I visited here and everyone was really, really nice. I have more questions that maybe a current student can help with.

1. Do students have problems pulling up documents for class with a mac?
2. Will they send a list of immunizations we need and when?
3. How likely is it that you will get your first choice for the site of your rotations?

Thanks!!

1. You shouldn't have any trouble with a Mac other than you will need to run Windows in order to increase the playback speed of the Mediasite recorded lectures. I did this by getting a program called VMWare Fusions. Buy it at the MSU Computer store, it will be cheaper than getting it at a regular store.

2. Yes.

3. I think it is fairly likely, but there is always a lot of drama during Base Hospital Selection Time and Lottery Day.

Just accepted to MSU COM :)

I'm hoping a few students currently attending MSU could answer a few questions for me.

How does everyone like the Macomb Campus? Do you feel like you are getting the same education as the students at the EL campus? How often do you see the professors?

Can some 3rd and 4th years comment on rotations? Does the school help you much during these years?

Thanks in advance for your help. And for those of you waiting for an acceptance at MSU I hope it comes soon. Hang in there! :)

Who will be choosing the DMC campus? I've already sent my deposit and been placed there.

Congrats to all who were accepted today!

I have also signed up for the DMC site. I am trying to find a place to live, thinking about the Lafayette Pavillion.

where you guys all staying at? anybody looking for a roommate?

I've been assigned to East Lansing for the pre-clerkship years. Has anyone else requested this site also???

I have also signed up for the DMC site. I am trying to find a place to live, thinking about the Lafayette Pavillion.

Nice, I already live at Riverfront Apts off Jefferson. I'll be staying here with the roommate I already have. You should really check this place out; it's amazing.

Anyone else having a hard time deciding what campus to choose? i live ten minutes aways from the Macomb campus but i feel like the East Lansing campus will be more hands on...any thoughts? also when do u think they will fill up by? i wanna know how long i can wait before choosing

What are you guys wearing / what were people wearing to MSU for the visit??

What are you guys wearing / what were people wearing to MSU for the visit??

Most people that were already accepted wore nice pants and shirts. Some decided to wear a suit. It's not anything formal at all. You may even see someone in jeans, but I would go semi business dress.

Just got my acceptance for MSUCOM!!! Huzzah!

Complete 9/24
Accepted 10/7

Non-sci GPA 3.53
Sci GPA 3.48
MCAT 27N

w00t w00t w00t

I just got accepted today! :p

I am thinking about signing up for the DMC campus, where is the Lafayette Pavillion in relation to campus?

Ugh. I hate this waiting! I was complete 9/26 and was hoping to hear today, but it is looking doubtful. Congratulations to you guys!

Btw, I sent in a LOI on monday. It must've been helpful because I got my acceptance today :D

got accepted today

good luck to all

Last edited:
I just got accepted today! :p

I am thinking about signing up for the DMC campus, where is the Lafayette Pavillion in relation to campus?

I don't know Lafayette Pav yet, but Riverfront is great. It's like a 5 min drive. Great apartments and location.

PS Congrats to everyone accepted so far... DMC campus is nice as hell!

People applying for DMC.. Check out the Facebook group titled "MSU-COM Class of 2014 @ DMC"

do they send you an official complete email or do you just go by the application check email that you can request online?

do they send you an official complete email or do you just go by the application check email that you can request online?

I never got a complete e-mail, I've just been trusting the online status check. I've had all my stuff in since the beginning of august and haven't heard a peep from MSU, hopefully sometime soon! :xf:

I never got a complete e-mail, I've just been trusting the online status check. I've had all my stuff in since the beginning of august and haven't heard a peep from MSU, hopefully sometime soon! :xf:

they don't send a completed e-mail but when you check your status online if all the items have a "Y" next to them then that means you are completed.

Hey guys, congrats to all those getting accepted!

I am a 1st year @ the Macomb campus and we took anatomy all summer @ DMC.. if you have ANY questions about COM in general, or the SE MI sites please feel free to contact me! I would love to answer your questions and help with information about the campuses. The education is the exact same, but there are definitely positives and negative to each campus.

To those thinking that you will get extra clinical exposure @ DMC, you won't. The opportunities are the same as all the other campuses. Just so you know. And as of right now, the only DMC facility that COM has ties with is Sinai-Grace so there are currently no rotations @ Receiving, children's, harper/hutzel, etc. Many students are hoping that changes, but right now there isn't talk about it.

Once again, any questions or need of input, please contact me! Good luck too all you future com'ers!:)