MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Join the club...it is a long process, and, for MSU-COM, we get to count it one Wednesday at a time.

amen to that, weekly meetings on SDN on weds.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an in-state student. I was complete on August 24th. I'm completely stunned about getting accepted only 2 weeks later.

Good luck to everyone else! I'm super excited to start here next summer!

Wow, that's amazing! If you wouldn't mind sharing, what were your stats? You can PM me if you want.

Would anybody be willing to share what their stats are?

Thanks!

Accepted today by email. In state and complete sometime before July 30th. Took awhile to post since I was celebrating!!!!!!:):thumbup:

Where are you from? Is there truth to the idea that you cannot claim in-state residency for three years?

im from virginia ... i dont know about the whole in state thing ... i thought it was one year??? i will have to find out though ...

And BTW douchebag, I am not a reapplicant. I got accepted in 10 days after submitting my secondary to MSU, without an interview.
So up yours.

Nothing personal against you really, it was unfortunately you who started off on the wrong foot. I never applied to MSU-COM twice, it was a school I didn't really look into because of their "distinct" LOR forms, and tons of extra classes which they required(same reasons why a lot of people in this thread have complained about).

Good luck to you as well!

Hahaha!!!

Just accepted to MSUCOM class of 2014! Is anybody else going the HPSP route?

so there are no interviews at this school? do they accept mostly in state students?

Members don't see this ad :)
nvmd

Last edited:
I sent in a request on the status check website and it has everything submitted except the "Criminal History Information" Is this a background check and thus I wouldn't be responsible for submitting it, or is it something else?

I have submitted the "Past or Pending Disciplinary Action Statement," but I did not see any other forms about criminal history in the secondary app.

january mcat 25P
PS-10 VR-6 BS-9

july mcat 24O YIKES!!!
PS 8 VR-6 BS-10

University of Michigan
GPA 3.45 science 3.5

MI residency

think i got a good shot?

any comments appreciated, Thanks!

january mcat 25P
PS-10 VR-6 BS-9

july mcat 24O YIKES!!!
PS 8 VR-6 BS-10

University of Michigan
GPA 3.45 science 3.5

MI residency

think i got a good shot?

I had a friend that got in to MSUCOM with nearly the same exact statistics as you from two years ago. He was placed onto the wait-list and got off of it. So I think you have a good shot but its really gonna matter how well your EC's and LOR make you look considering we have not shot at impressing them at an interview.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

january mcat 25P
PS-10 VR-6 BS-9

july mcat 24O YIKES!!!
PS 8 VR-6 BS-10

University of Michigan
GPA 3.45 science 3.5

MI residency

think i got a good shot?

The numbers look pretty good but they really stress community service and volunteer work. So if you have an extensive history of that then I would say you are in good shape!

I had a friend that got in to MSUCOM with nearly the same exact statistics as you from two years ago. He was placed onto the wait-list and got off of it. So I think you have a good shot but its really gonna matter how well your EC's and LOR make you look considering we have not shot at impressing them at an interview.

GOOD LUCK! :luck:

MSUCOM doesn't hold interviews? I heard this from someone before but didn't understand why they wouldn't.

i hope i stand a shot at MSUCOM!! I am out of state..from chicago...so i know that will definitely be held against me. Hopefully my numbers/volunteer experiences are good enough!

I got in last week about 9 hours into my 10 hour drive to DMU-com for an interview... i celebrated by sticking my head out of the sunroof doing 85 mph... yeah i know, verrrry stupid, I should of been doing 95 mph, lol... seriously though, that was a dumb move, imagine if i hit a bird or something. Anyway. good luck everyone!

Finally I'm complete at MSU!

SDN makes me feel so far behind in everything cause I'm just beginning to become complete at all my schools. Now I'm just really anxious to hear back. I really hope I can get in! Just one acceptance will make this whole process so much less stressful.

I got in last week about 9 hours into my 10 hour drive to DMU-com for an interview... i celebrated by sticking my head out of the sunroof doing 85 mph... yeah i know, verrrry stupid, I should of been doing 95 mph, lol... seriously though, that was a dumb move, imagine if i hit a bird or something. Anyway. good luck everyone!

Congrats! That story made me laugh out loud.

For those of you who've already been accepted, are any of you going to the visit day on Sept. 25th?

Just received an admissions' offer for the class of 2014! I thought this day would never come!!!!!!

Just accepted into class of 2014! Dream come true !

Are they calling you or emailing?

Ps when were you all complete at MSU?

AND MOST OF ALL CONGRATS!!!

I got accepted today to MSU COM on my way to the airport to fly down and interview at NOVA!!! I was eating a bagel and sitting at a stop light and decided to check e-mail on my phone - I read the e-mail and screamed out loud and threw my bagel out of my sunroof like it was a graduation cap! Needless to say, i got a very funny look from the cars across the intersection haha :)

Congrats to all the other 2014 COM Students!! WHOO HOO

I have 2 questions regarding MSU-COM

1. Do they dissect cadavers? I have heard they do not, but I just wanted to check with you guys.

2. For the people that are accepted, how do we have to perform in the rest of our classes? In other words, is there any chance we get denied the acceptance? Obviously I'm not asking if I can fail all classes, just want to know the requirements. :thumbup:

I got accepted today to MSU COM on my way to the airport to fly down and interview at NOVA!!! I was eating a bagel and sitting at a stop light and decided to check e-mail on my phone - I read the e-mail and screamed out loud and threw my bagel out of my sunroof like it was a graduation cap! Needless to say, i got a very funny look from the cars across the intersection haha :)

Congrats to all the other 2014 COM Students!! WHOO HOO

LMAO!!! I can definetly relate....all the truckers on the I 80 gave me the same puzzled look as they saw my head slowly come up from the sunroof... congrats!!!

King Leonidas: [turns back shouting] Spartans! What is your profession?
Me: [scared sh**less] Mmm..med...medicine?

Congrats on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks! 3.77 GPA, 3.7 sciGPA, 24O MCAT, ~1000 hours volunteering, and numerous leadership activities. I was waitlisted last year. Get at me if you have any other questions.

I was recently accepted, and I am having a really difficult time deciding on whether I should go to EL or DMC. I currently have an amazing roommate and place near the DMC campus, but I love the EL campus, college atmosphere, and extracurricular opportunities offered in EL...

Any suggestions?

I was recently accepted, and I am having a really difficult time deciding on whether I should go to EL or DMC. I currently have an amazing roommate and place near the DMC campus, but I love the EL campus, college atmosphere, and extracurricular opportunities offered in EL...

Any suggestions?

I personally am choosing EL as my top choice. I like the fact that students from COM and CHM take many of the same classes together during the 1st two years. It'll be great to be on the main MSU campus with access to all of the other resources offered there. I just feel that I'll be able to get the most out of the school in EL - but it's totally my personal choice. I also hope to go to some football/basketball games if I ever get the chance to break away from studying!

I personally am choosing EL as my top choice. I like the fact that students from COM and CHM take many of the same classes together during the 1st two years. It'll be great to be on the main MSU campus with access to all of the other resources offered there. I just feel that I'll be able to get the most out of the school in EL - but it's totally my personal choice. I also hope to go to some football/basketball games if I ever get the chance to break away from studying!

I definitely agree with you on that... That's why my decision is so tough. Weighing the option of living with a Wayne med student who I've known since middle school in a great place just minutes away from DMC... Or the former option, which I like bc of your reasons.

woo hoo! I'm in (class of 2014 here I come :eek:)!

Does anyone know how the education at the satellite campuses compares to the EL campus? I'm thinking about attending the Detroit campus (but, I wasn't sure if I'd miss out on anything).

Hello,

I am a first year at MSUCOM right now and the education at the satellite campuses are exactly the same. We broadcast lectures to them and some days they broadcast to East Lansing. You will have all of the same classes, professors and exams! Congrats guys : )

I have 2 questions regarding MSU-COM

1. Do they dissect cadavers? I have heard they do not, but I just wanted to check with you guys.

2. For the people that are accepted, how do we have to perform in the rest of our classes? In other words, is there any chance we get denied the acceptance? Obviously I'm not asking if I can fail all classes, just want to know the requirements. :thumbup:

Anatomy is a prosection lab, which means that we do not dissect cadavers in ANTR 551. However, after successfully completing anatomy you can take prosection as an elective where you will dissect the new bodies for the lab.

And you still have to send transcripts when you finish before you matriculation and you should still do well. They will not accept any grade lower than a C for pre-requisite courses. For non-required courses I'm not sure of a grade policy, but it will certainly look bad if you do not perform well the semester before school starts!

so there are no interviews at this school? do they accept mostly in state students?

MSUCOM only holds interviews for applicants they are on the fence about. They stopped interviewing all applicants when they realized that they were accepting nearly everyone who interviewed. This is the reason for the lengthy seconday, because they need a way to get to know you without actually meeting you at the interview!

Complete today... Add my name to the Wed. support group...

Hope everyone is ready for another fun packed wednesday. Best of luck to everyone getting in this week. I sure hope I do :luck::luck:

it would be helpful if people accepted can provide the date of completion and any other stats they don't mind sharing.

Thanks and best of luck to all.

it would be helpful if people accepted can provide the date of completion and any other stats they don't mind sharing.

Thanks and best of luck to all.

Culmulative GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.62
MCAT: 25Q (8 phys, 8 verbal, 9 bio)
Tons of medically-related and leadership EC's
2 years of research experience

Complete: August 24th
Accepted: September 9th

Good luck to everyone. GO GREEN!!!