MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'm guessing they need to have the grades in before the first day of classes..

to all canadians: how are you going about filling the OSAP? what are you guys putting in as the end date.. because the end date of first year would technically be in august, but OSAP doesn't accept that long of a study period...?

For OSAP I think you would put down the end date as being in April, and then the following year begins the May after.

But in the end I don't think the dates matter, as long as you're putting down that you're in school for the entire year or three semesters then they pay you accordingly. I still have to figure out OSAP myself.

Members don't see this ad.

Any one placed on high waitlist in late Jan/early Feb been accepted or heard any thing from the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pulled off the high wait list this morning, I will be respectfully declining the offer. Good luck to the rest of ya. Been on the high wait-list since sometime around December/January I think.

I have been on the high waitlist since mid dec and I just accepted an admissions offer this afternoon!!!

I have been on the high waitlist since mid dec and I just accepted an admissions offer this afternoon!!!
Congrats! See, everyone, it's 4/13 and people are STILL getting in the class! Never give up hope until it's over. I've heard of folks being accepted a week before classes start!

Best of luck!

congrats those getting off the high waitlist! i have a question for those of you who have chosen to defer to next year. if you choose to defer, does MSU make you sign a contract saying that you won't apply to other programs in the meantime?

the high WL is going to fly in may, and probably some of the normal WL. it always does, expect it may 15

congrats those getting off the high waitlist! i have a question for those of you who have chosen to defer to next year. if you choose to defer, does MSU make you sign a contract saying that you won't apply to other programs in the meantime?

I deferred last year. There is no contract. All you need to do is email admissions and say you would like to defer. They'll contact you in September to see if you're still planning on matriculating with the c/o 2017 and will ask for your site preference.

the high WL is going to fly in may, and probably some of the normal WL. it always does, expect it may 15

I really hope you're right!! I've been on the high waitlist since Jan and the people who are being accepted are right around my numbers plus I really want EL so hopefully there's plenty more movement to come

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile

I really hope you're right!! I've been on the high waitlist since Jan and the people who are being accepted are right around my numbers plus I really want EL so hopefully there's plenty more movement to come

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile

ahh well can't guarantee the EL placement but stick it out, chances are good for an acceptance still :)

Put on the waitlist in November, just got off on Friday!!!
So ecstatic, I didn't think I would actually get pulled off!
I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Put on the low waitlist in November, just got off on Friday!!!
So ecstatic, I didn't think I would actually get pulled off!
I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOO! Welcome to the family!!

Hey, does anyone know if it is typical to see people being pulled off the low waitlist before everyone is pulled off the high waitlist? I've been on the list since Jan. and the wait is killing me. Thanks and congrats to those accepted!

same here, high waitlist since January but still haven't heard anything, I'm canadian though so maybe there's a different list :-(

I've been creeping this thread for quite a while, this is my first post evar :),
But yet another grateful pre-med hopeful has been admitted off the (high) waitlist.

I was placed on the waitlist in November

:eek::eek: MSUCOM Class of 2016 :thumbup::thumbup:

ive been on the low waitlist since early december. i cant take it anymore. its been such a long time. i will graduate with a master's degree this summer. ive been waiting all year working at henry ford hosp. i dont know what else to do for acceptance. ive constantly emailed, called, visited and nothing can be done. this is my 2nd time applying and i just wish i was placed on the high wait list or better yet rejected. there are way too many people on the high waitlist. its a point system and there is no way i can get accepted until all of the high wait listed applicants are accepted. this doesnt make any sense. i tried to stay hopeful like i was when i was younger but its getting late.

Did anyone else notice a huge jump in the summer tuition? Looking at the 2011-2012 budget, the in-state tuition for the summer was $2,881. I checked my online bill for this upcoming summer and it is $6,500. What happened ?

We are taking three classes in the summer whereas last year they only took one. Still seems like a lot more money for only two more credits though.

Hi everyone :) I am OS student and was put on the high waitlist the first week of December .I just received an acceptance for class of 2016 today ;) but I will be respectfully deferring my admission until next year. Good luck everyone!!
PS: How can I write Adcoms about my deferment w/o sounding 'off' ?

TIA

Congrats. Why can't more people be like you lol

Hi everyone :) I am OS student and was put on the high waitlist the first week of December .I just received an acceptance for class of 2016 today ;) but I will be respectfully deferring my admission until next year. Good luck everyone!!
PS: How can I write Adcoms about my deferment w/o sounding 'off' ?

TIA

I was put on the high waitlist in November and was pulled off last week. I also chose to defer until next year. I replied to the acceptance email stating that I was requesting a deferral because of work opportunities and other personal reasons. I didn't elaborate at all and they quickly approved my request. See ya next year!

When you defer you don't need to elaborate at all. I thanked them for the acceptance and simply stated I would be thrilled to matriculate with the c/o 2016 the following year. Simple as that :)

Does anyone know if MSUCOM to revoke acceptance if your last semester grades are significantly lower? I've been trying hard but the classes were more difficult and I ended up with C+, B+, B, and passed in a pass/fail class.

I think you are fine.:thumbup:

Can someone please provide me the location of where I can find the evaluation forms for my letter of recommendation writers?

I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you

Does anyone know if MSUCOM to revoke acceptance if your last semester grades are significantly lower? I've been trying hard but the classes were more difficult and I ended up with C+, B+, B, and passed in a pass/fail class.

The admissions officer told everyone on their tour day that everyone should just relax and just pass their classes. They are very lax about it. You are fine.

We are taking three classes in the summer whereas last year they only took one. Still seems like a lot more money for only two more credits though.

what classes did they add out of curiosity. i knew they were restructuring quite a bit with the split from CHM

what classes did they add out of curiosity. i knew they were restructuring quite a bit with the split from CHM

Intro to radiology and an introduction to osteopathic medicine class (along with the usual summer anatomy class)

i've heard from current students that these two extra classes added to the summer class are fluff classes and aren't too bad.

Intro to radiology and an introduction to osteopathic medicine class (along with the usual summer anatomy class)

i've heard from current students that these two extra classes added to the summer class are fluff classes and aren't too bad.

definitely sound that way but the radiology could be interesting to go along with anatomy.

definitely sound that way but the radiology could be interesting to go along with anatomy.

The point was that radiology fit well with anatomy. It makes more sense to take them together. Student input led to these changes.

Can someone post what types of things they included in their volunteer hours? Everything in highschool too? I heard someone included something like driving their siblings to school, does stuff like this count?

Can someone post what types of things they included in their volunteer hours? Everything in highschool too? I heard someone included something like driving their siblings to school, does stuff like this count?

Apparently people do list those and MSUCOM actually does accept them as volunteer hours which helps you to get reviewed earlier than other applicants who don't list these types of activities. Seems kind of ridiculous that MSUCOM would review someone sooner than someone else simply because they drove their sibling to school or did some sort of volunteer activity back when they were 14 years old but I guess it works for them. Anyhow, yeah you should definitely list them if you want to be reviewed before the class is full since most people who get accepted early list every single thing they can think of which bumps their volunteer hours to over 2000.

I called them a while back and asked the same question (I think its written on the application as well, no?). Go all the way back to high school and list all volunteer activities. It's a pain to do, but you'd be surprised at how much you come up with!

Personally, I don't think I would include something like driving siblings to school (well I didn't at least). I had some extended volunteer positions, that were quite meaningful so I tried to emphasize them as much as possible.

Now if it was something like caring for a sibling because of a unique family circumstance, where you are literally a part-time care giver or something to the child then of course put that stuff down! MSU does count total volunteer hours, so the other person in the thread was correct. The more hours you have, the better your application looks up front- just a numbers thing... so if you feel your application may be weak in this area, add it. If you have lots of other significant volunteer work, I would probably leave it out.

Quick update to Canadian waitlisters,

I got my official acceptance email yesterday (I was on the high WL since January). So excited, but the timing of attending this year, in one month from now doesn't really work out for me.

I will most likely be deferring this offer until next year! So excited, but looks like one more year of waiting! haha -_-

I'm applying this summer. I am not taking the MCAT until July but I plan to submit my primary application well before I take it so that it gets verified early. Am I right in thinking that I won't receive a secondary until the score is reported? I saw on a post from some years ago that someone received a secondary without a reported score but I'm thinking that COM maybe didn't screen then. Anyone know for sure?

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was really hard for me to do because its an awesome school. Hope one of you waiting gets it. Good luck guys!

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was really hard for me to do because its an awesome school. Hope one of you waiting gets it. Good luck guys!
DrMediterranean! This is hard to comprehend. You've been after this school for an awfully long time! Best wishes in whatever it is that's scooped you up and pulled you away from MSU. They've got a good one on their hands.

does anybody know why MSUCOM starts so early in June? compared to the other schools? are the semester longer? are there more courses? or do we do more clinic rotations?

Also, would anyone mind sharing which would the the pros and cons of each site(differences)? ie. safety of area, living costs, access etc...I am having trouble deciding. Thanks so much! I am on the high waitlist but if with the school starting in June, even if I get off the waitlist this year, there wouldn't be enough time to get my LOC and visa in order so I would end up having to defer anyway...

COM starts early because they share the anatomy lab with CHM students. There isn't enough space for both classes to use the lab during the same semester.

Couple of quick Q's from a Canadian prospective. Does the university let anybody who wants to defer their acceptance 1 year do so? Also, how do the LOR's work for MSU? I just started filling out my app but am confused as to how to send in the letters. So I have my AACOMAS application finished and all I have left to do is submit and pay. I'm reading on the MSUCOM website that anyone who's GPA and MCAT score meets the cutoff will get a supplemental application. What exactly is this application?

Thanks!

Last edited:
MSU will send you the LOR forms. Its to your advantage to use them--it states that they prefer the writer to use their form. You'll need 2. I'm pretty sure the LOR form consists of 4 questions. Then you'll have to fill out an extensive list of Non Academic activities, an essay, and some other minor forms. MSU sends out the secondaries a little later than the other schools and not everyone gets them at the same time. I worried about this last year, but don't. You'll get it. Then you'll have one month to get everything done and decisions usually start the first wednesday after labour day. The website states "the early bird gets the worm" so if you are submitting the primary June 1, you'll be in good shape.

COM starts early because they share the anatomy lab with CHM students. There isn't enough space for both classes to use the lab during the same semester.

Thanks for replying!
Do we get off earlier then? Anybody has any advice or suggestions for the 3 different sites?

So did anyone get accepted today from the wait-list..!!???

So did anyone get accepted today from the wait-list..!!???

Hey kingo we probably won't see the effects of may 15th waitlist movement for a couple of days because it will take some time for the MD movement to start. A lot of people think may 15th applies to both MD and DO as far as being the last day to hold multiple acceptances, it's not. It only applies to MD schools and indirectly affects DO schools. Hopefully there's some movement this week. Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SDN Mobile

hey kingo we probably won't see the effects of may 15th waitlist movement for a couple of days because it will take some time for the md movement to start. A lot of people think may 15th applies to both md and do as far as being the last day to hold multiple acceptances, it's not. It only applies to md schools and indirectly affects do schools. Hopefully there's some movement this week. Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my htc sensation z710e using sdn mobile

+1

Hey kingo we probably won't see the effects of may 15th waitlist movement for a couple of days because it will take some time for the MD movement to start. A lot of people think may 15th applies to both MD and DO as far as being the last day to hold multiple acceptances, it's not. It only applies to MD schools and indirectly affects DO schools. Hopefully there's some movement this week. Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SDN Mobile

I know i just hate the wait. Hopefully it starts moving quick lol