MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for Canadian applicants on the high wait list, any of you receive an email regarding the I-20 and financial proof in order for our admission to be processed? just wondering if we are suppose to prepare this in order to remain on the high waitlist? or wait to find out if we can get in for 2016 (instead of 2017)

Members don't see this ad.

for Canadian applicants on the high wait list, any of you receive an email regarding the I-20 and financial proof in order for our admission to be processed? just wondering if we are suppose to prepare this in order to remain on the high waitlist? or wait to find out if we can get in for 2016 (instead of 2017)

I am in the class and didn't get that voicemail yet. My stuff for the I20 is being sent this week.

CDN on high wait list here. I called with that exact question and the lady on the phone said that you only need to sort that out once you've been offered admission. It couldn't hurt to start prepping what you need however :p

Members don't see this ad :)
CDN on high wait list here. I called with that exact question and the lady on the phone said that you only need to sort that out once you've been offered admission. It couldn't hurt to start prepping what you need however :p

You need to get the affidavit of support filled out. Basically the bank sends the school a letter that you have funding. The bank will ask to see your acceptance letter before they do that. I recommend BMO and RBC. I'm using RBC. Be aware that you will need a cosigner no matter what.

For the people going to EL, what are your living arrangements like?

I'm living in Berrytree and I know a good amount of others are too.

I'm living in Berrytree and I know a good amount of others are too.

Yea I've looked at the DTN apartments, is ~ $650 the cheapest you can find for a studio close to Fee Hall?

Yea I've looked at the DTN apartments, is ~ $650 the cheapest you can find for a studio close to Fee Hall?

I'm not sure, I haven't been looking into studio apartments, but have you looked at the classes facebook page? There has been a lot of talk about apartments on there.

I'm not sure, I haven't been looking into studio apartments, but have you looked at the classes facebook page? There has been a lot of talk about apartments on there.

Aw shoot yea, thats the problem. I don't have Facebook.

I just received an ACCEPTANCE email!!! I'm so happy!! :)

...in case anyone was wondering, I was placed on the high wait list 1/26.

I just received an ACCEPTANCE email!!! I'm so happy!! :)

...in case anyone was wondering, I was placed on the high wait list 1/26.
Congratulations!
Are you American or Canadian? Mind sharing your GPa and MCAT?
Thanks

Congratulations!
Are you American or Canadian? Mind sharing your GPa and MCAT?
Thanks
Thanks!

US, in-state with 3.81gpa but my mcat score wasn't the best (24). Goes to show you that a low mcat score is not the end of everything as long as you make up for it in other areas (gpa, volunteering and being an overall well-rounded applicant).

Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear the good news! :)

Thanks!

US, in-state with 3.81gpa but my mcat score wasn't the best (24). Goes to show you that a low mcat score is not the end of everything as long as you make up for it in other areas (gpa, volunteering and being an overall well-rounded applicant).

Thanks for sharing that info., AB23! It is really encouraging to hear for those of us who have low MCAT scores. MCAT is definitely NOT the "be all and end all"! Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else still waiting on the word from MSUCOM? My file was complete as of 11/16 and I received one email claiming that they didn't forget about me on 1/13, haha. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

That sounds about right.

I'm going to be in Waterbury Place, and most people will living there, Berrytree, Glenwood, and Hamptons for the convenience of proximity to Fee.

Thanks!

MSU does not dwell on your mcat, unless its way below the mean. Pretty sure experience/Volunteer/commitment to patient care trumps MCAT. Solid GPA and upper level science courses will help your application.:thumbup:

As for other apartments....check out the Eyde properties such as Club Meridian as they also provide parking passes across from Fee hall. The Lodges is also a nice place--very new, very close to Fee, but on the pricier side.

That sounds about right.

I'm going to be in Waterbury Place, and most people will living there, Berrytree, Glenwood, and Hamptons for the convenience of proximity to Fee.

So I looked those up and most of them have mediocre to terrible reviews on apartmentratings.com. The thing is, I won't be at EL until June, so I'm wondering if its wise to reserve an apartment without looking at it first in person.

Could someone post a link to the facebook group ?

Is anyone else still waiting on the word from MSUCOM? My file was complete as of 11/16 and I received one email claiming that they didn't forget about me on 1/13, haha. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone!

I still am :( Complete since 12/06 and also got the "We didn't forget about you" email a month or so ago. Still hoping for the best though...:xf:

So I looked those up and most of them have mediocre to terrible reviews on apartmentratings.com. The thing is, I won't be at EL until June, so I'm wondering if its wise to reserve an apartment without looking at it first in person.

I am in similar situation, and have no clue at all about the housing in East Lansing for DO students. Can anyone suggest which one would be a nice place to live close to Fee Hall? How do we go about reserving it, taking a virtual tour, rent information etc. Thanks

I am in similar situation, and have no clue at all about the housing in East Lansing for DO students. Can anyone suggest which one would be a nice place to live close to Fee Hall? How do we go about reserving it, taking a virtual tour, rent information etc. Thanks

If you know for sure you'll be in East Lansing, definitely start looking as housing close to Fee (and campus in general) is going to be harder to find. Students start signing leases in October, so you can imagine that the pickings are a little slimmer now--though not impossible to find!

The most popular places for med and grad students in general--these are all the closest to Fee:
Berrytree: single bedrooms are probably all gone by now--not sure about the 2BR units, but they are probably mostly leased. Still worth checking out. The units are older though.

The Hamptons: Newer and nice units, expensive. Uncertain on what is available.

Waterbury: Still being built, but will be open by August. I think these are all 3 and 4BR units. They look like they'll be very nice.

Glenwood: also close to Fee (a little closer than the first three). A number of med students live here. It's an older complex--I hear the units smell a little lol but I've never been.

The four above are owned by DTN--they have a little bit of a monopoly going on in the area, imo.

The Lodges: New as of August 2011. Very nice, expensive. They don't have any singles left...I doubt if they have any 2BR. They are running low on 3 and 4 BRs as well--they may be out already, or there may be some students seeking roommates. The complex is very close to Fee and also has a free bus that goes to campus (doesn't stop by Fee though) and will go down Grand River (where all the bars and stores are :)) until 2 am on the weekends. I chose to live here, actually. Seems like a solid mix of undergrads and grad students.

Some other places a little farther away--all within a 15 minute or less drive:

The following Eyde properties give med students a free parking pass in their lot across from Fee. A number of students from this year's incoming class will be living at Club Meridian in Okemos. The other two Eyde properties are Central Park and Somerset Park--not so familiar with them though.

There are plenty of others--if I had trouble finding places that close to campus I'd check out the newer apartments near Eastwood Town Center. It's not far from campus (10 min drive when traffic is decent) and you'd be near a number of grocery stores, restaurants, and retail shops.

Hope this helps :) I know MSUCOM has had some kind of survey the different area apartment complexes that they collected from students in the past--you may want to contact them to see if they have a listing of them. Also check out the roommate matching they have on the site. Lastly--search for the MSUCOM c/o 2016 group on FB. There are some people still looking for roommates. Good luck!

So after writing all of that....I found the survey link I was talking about. :)
http://www.com.msu.edu/admissions/20102011HousingInfo.pdf

Last edited:
anybody accepted (on high waitlist) after january actually been accepted for 2016 yet? just wondering if there's any movement yet. Thanks!

I just received an email stating I have been put on the waiting list but it does not state whether or not I have a guaranteed acceptance for next year... should I be expecting another email stating that or does this mean I am on the low priority list?

Hey guys, I'm looking to withdraw my acceptance but not sure how to go about that. Any of you know where I should look or who I should contact to withdraw/get part of my deposit back ($350)?

Going to visit the campus in late March. Do I need to wear formal clothes on the tour? Do we get to visit some of the affliated teaching hospitals? And does any one know what proportion of the tuition is covered if you are admitted into the combined DO-PhD program?

Kzoo, Have you tried contacting the admissions office...?

Hey guys, I'm looking to withdraw my acceptance but not sure how to go about that. Any of you know where I should look or who I should contact to withdraw/get part of my deposit back ($350)?

on their website for class of 2016, they said to contact them in case u change ur mind abt the acceptance. so i'd say give the admissions office a call. =)

Yeah I received the same email. Does anyone know how many spots are left?

Yo folks!
Just wanted to say I got an acceptance off the high wait list today at 10:10am! Finally, I can really celebrate :thumbup:

Good luck to the lot of ya.

I just received an email stating I have been put on the waiting list but it does not state whether or not I have a guaranteed acceptance for next year... should I be expecting another email stating that or does this mean I am on the low priority list?

You're on the low priority... well, not low priority, just regular wait list. Only emails coming with a pre-acceptance email signify a high wait list.

On that note, people on the regular wait list were accepted last year. I'm a high waitlister, I just got accepted. It means there's a flow of students. Keep your hopes up!

anybody accepted (on high waitlist) after january actually been accepted for 2016 yet? just wondering if there's any movement yet. Thanks!
Yes, 3 people and myself. There's plenty of movement. I was high wait listed at the end of January too.

Congratulations. I still have not heard back from the admissions office. But it seems they are already accepting people from wait list. Does not make much sense. But, congrats to you anyway.

Congrats!!!! Still waiting.... *sigh*

Thanks! I remember you, you got high wait listed a week before I did. Keep me in mind for the campus switching thing. If you get Detroit or Macomb and want East Lansing (Provided I get it) PM me.

Keep the faith. You should be nearing the front of the pack. Your sGPA was 3.1 but your MCAT was 32 right? My sGPA was 3.7 and my MCAT (the only one they could consider, which was my first attempt) was 26.

Basically I think it's just a numbers thing now. It's all about inching your way to the top.

Hey everyone! Congratulations to those accepted and, everyone still waiting, hold your head high and remember people usually get accepted up until school starts in crazy twists, :).

Anyway, I have a question. I am considering applying to MSU-COM next year, but I think it would be the only DO school I apply to and I'm looking for honest opinions at whether I'd have a good shot. I plan to retake my MCAT, but when I apply, these will be my stats:

GPA: 3.95 appx.
sGPA: 3.85-3.9 appx.
MCAT: 28S (12/7/9)
Work, research, hospital volunteer, community service, service abroad, etc... Solid ECs all-in-all

Thanks, everyone! :)

Hey everyone! Congratulations to those accepted and, everyone still waiting, hold your head high and remember people usually get accepted up until school starts in crazy twists, :).

Anyway, I have a question. I am considering applying to MSU-COM next year, but I think it would be the only DO school I apply to and I'm looking for honest opinions at whether I'd have a good shot. I plan to retake my MCAT, but when I apply, these will be my stats:

GPA: 3.95 appx.
sGPA: 3.85-3.9 appx.
MCAT: 28S (12/7/9)
Work, research, hospital volunteer, community service, service abroad, etc... Solid ECs all-in-all

Thanks, everyone! :)

Academically you are competitive. You *could* be very competitive in terms of ECs/Volunteer/work experience, and you look like you are in this category as well. Can't say for sure though because we can't see all of your activities listed in detail, so I cant gauge how "solid" you really are. Overall, you seem to be a competitive applicant and retaking your MCAT would be pointless, unless of course you are applying to allopathic schools as well. Good luck.

Academically you are competitive. You *could* be very competitive in terms of ECs/Volunteer/work experience, and you look like you are in this category as well. Can't say for sure though because we can't see all of your activities listed in detail, so I cant gauge how "solid" you really are. Overall, you seem to be a competitive applicant and retaking your MCAT would be pointless, unless of course you are applying to allopathic schools as well. Good luck.

Haha, yeah, I didn't want to have one of those massive posts that list everything and bore you and I just found out that DO schools count everything in terms of hour totals so I'm still working on going through everything but hopefully an estimate helps:

- ECs: 2000 appx (high school only, haven't got to undergrad yet)
- Volunteerism: 1000 appx
- Work experience: 1500 appx (undergrad only, haven't tried to remember high school yet)
- Research with poster presentations: 300 hours
- Misc. awards (scholarships, Dean's list, research grant, etc.)
- Etc.

Sorry for the original vagueness. I am retaking to apply to MD schools as well because I was scoring much higher on my practice exams and feel like I owe myself one more shot, but to be honest, when I started looking into COM, I'm actually feeling like it's one of my top choices, :).

All I can add is "the early bird gets the worm".

+1. As long as you have no red flags.

Haha, I sure hope not, but thank you all for your feedback! I'm actually studying abroad this semester which forced me to get everything in line ahead of time and I should be ready to submit right when the application opens, :). Best of luck there this summer!

Yes, 3 people and myself. There's plenty of movement. I was high wait listed at the end of January too.

Cool, thanks. I am Canadian so maybe they have a different waitlist, I haven't heard back yet though. Been on the high waitlist since January too.

Cool, thanks. I am Canadian so maybe they have a different waitlist, I haven't heard back yet though. Been on the high waitlist since January too.

Yes, its a different wait list. We were in a separate applicant pool all together.

Accepted MSUCOM DO-PHD today. Any others out there?!?

Congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back...mind sharing your stats? I'm currently on the "high-priority" waiting list

29R 3.8 o/a 3.6 science - 4 years lab experience, manuscript, acknowledgements, hospice, shadowing, volunteer, newspaper, tutor, TA, teacher....

29R 3.8 o/a 3.6 science - 4 years lab experience, manuscript, acknowledgements, hospice, shadowing, volunteer, newspaper, tutor, TA, teacher....

How long is that DO/PhD program? I thought it was like 7 years right? I would not make it through that alive! But congrats and good luck!

Congrats. I was being pushed to apply by the senior staff scientist I work for, but 6-7 years is too long for me, even if medical school is paid.

Good luck in Lansing!

How long is that DO/PhD program? I thought it was like 7 years right? I would not make it through that alive! But congrats and good luck!

same here--that would get me out of residency at about 46--if all went well.:eek: