MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am missing the behavioral sciences prerequisite only for MSUCOM. Does anyone know by what date those prerequisite need to be done if starting at MSUCOM this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I am missing the behavioral sciences prerequisite only for MSUCOM. Does anyone know by what date those prerequisite need to be done if starting at MSUCOM this year?

i'm guessing they need to have the grades in before the first day of classes..

to all canadians: how are you going about filling the OSAP? what are you guys putting in as the end date.. because the end date of first year would technically be in august, but OSAP doesn't accept that long of a study period...?

OSAP is a pain. I couldn't access my info because of password issues (resulting from having an account many years ago).

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah, you need it. I also had the same problem, it forced me to take an extra class this semester (Psychology.)

You need it by June 18th.

Congrats!! I'm still waiting to hear back...mind sharing your stats? I'm currently on the "high-priority" waiting list
So the DO-PHD program starts medical school next year, Class of 2017. So, I just gave up my spot for this year's class of 2016 for someone else. I just sent the email to the director of admissions.

So there is another spot for someone! Maybe you. Good luck.

So the DO-PHD program starts medical school next year, Class of 2017. So, I just gave up my spot for this year's class of 2016 for someone else. I just sent the email to the director of admissions.

Thanks!! I'll keep you posted, hopefully everything works out for everyone!

Thanks!! I'll keep you posted, hopefully everything works out for everyone!

How long is that DO/PhD program? I thought it was like 7 years right? I would not make it through that alive! But congrats and good luck!

7 years if you are lucky. 8-9 years is more realistic nowadays.

dazzle42, congrats on your acceptance. Did you apply to MSU-CHM as well?

7 years if you are lucky. 8-9 years is more realistic nowadays.

dazzle42, congrats on your acceptance. Did you apply to MSU-CHM as well?
I did, but MCAT too low. Yes, it will take nearly a decade.

Hey guys,

So I got accepted into MSUCOM :) and I'm deferring for a year.

I can complete my bachelors degree this summer (I have to take 3 classes). I was wondering, do I have to graduate with a bachelors degree in order to stay in medical school? Also, would this affect my residency?

I'm having money issues right now, so I was wondering if I can just not take those classes and not graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on financial aid and scholarships? The website says the college gives out numerous scholarships- what about OOS students?
Also, does MSU COM place a lot of weight on shadowing?

Hey guys,

So I got accepted into MSUCOM :) and I'm deferring for a year.

I can complete my bachelors degree this summer (I have to take 3 classes). I was wondering, do I have to graduate with a bachelors degree in order to stay in medical school? Also, would this affect my residency?

I'm having money issues right now, so I was wondering if I can just not take those classes and not graduate.

No, you don't need a BS. And no, it wont effect your residency. That has to do with complex scores, clerkship recs and and research.

For some reason I feel like this "high priority" wait list is not moving as fast as advertised :( :confused:...anyone recently accepted?

I feel the same way. I've been on the 'high priority' waitlist since December 14th. Anyone else been on it that long?

I've been on it since November 30. Nothin' to be done about it but hurry up and wait.

what are the recent reviews on living on-campus, in the owen hall??

Hey! I don't know if this has been posted, but where are peeps getting the dates for when class starts + etc? I'm looking at the online calendar and the only info I could get are events related.

It's on the new student web page. Classes start June 18th and orientation is June 13-15.

Hey, this may seem a little out of place, but did anyone get DMC and want to switch for Macomb? In fact, did anyone get Macomb? (I did, but I'd rather have DMC.)

Does anyone know if they stream lectures? podcast etc. of the class lecture?

Does anyone know if courses taken after graduating from college and before entering medical school are calculated into any kind of average?

I've graduated and been accepted but need to take two courses to meet MSU's requirements, and get a grade of C or better.

But these classes aren't averaged into anything right? Come residency application, they are only interested in my pre-clinical science years at MSU, right?

Does anyone know if courses taken after graduating from college and before entering medical school are calculated into any kind of average?

I've graduated and been accepted but need to take two courses to meet MSU's requirements, and get a grade of C or better.

But these classes aren't averaged into anything right? Come residency application, they are only interested in my pre-clinical science years at MSU, right?

When you get into and start medical school, everything resets meaning your undergrad GPA is irrelevant pertaining to residency. Once you are in med school, no one cares about your undergrad GPA or MCAT score. Only grades they will look at are medical school grades. I would only worry about passing these classes because failing them *may* affect your acceptance into medical school especially since these are required classes.

Last edited:
does anyone know how well canadian's matched for MD residencies either in canada or in the states after finishing MSU DO? and how easy was it to stay in the US for their residencies for canadians?

does anyone know how well canadian's matched for MD residencies either in canada or in the states after finishing MSU DO? and how easy was it to stay in the US for their residencies for canadians?

There is a thread called DO for Canadians in Pre-Osteo. I'm sure that would be a good resource to answer your question and more.

I plan on submitting my primary in June but taking my MCAT some time in July. Will MSU still release the secondary to me with my MCAT scores "in progress"?

I have been complete since August but haven't heard anything yet-- at this point, is it pretty much hopeless?

I have been complete since August but haven't heard anything yet-- at this point, is it pretty much hopeless?
Not hopeless, but to be fair, a lot of people were complete long after you (I was complete mid December for example) and have already been accepted.

I'd say if you haven't gotten a low priority waitlist by now (people have gotten these) you should start thinking about pulling your contingency plan together. Still, there's always hope... but being straightforward, you're likely not getting in this cycle. Sorry mate.

Have you been in contact with admissions at all since August? You should have heard something by now, whether you were accepted, wait listed, or not. If you haven't already, call and see where they are with your application--and make sure it didn't somehow "fall through the cracks." There's still the possibility of being waitlisted and accepted off of it like HotandCold was. There will continue to be some sort of movement up until orientation. Hope you get some answers soon--good luck! :)

Does anyone know if the DMC campus is full? I'm signed up for the EL campus now, but I'm considering switching. Who should contact about changing campuses?

I'm pretty sure that there's a waitlist for the DMC campus

Have you been accepted off the high wait?

Hey guys,

So I just got accepted to MSU. I was wondering if anyone had information on how MSU ranks in terms of matching their students into good residency programs.

Also, how does MSU do when compared to newer MD programs like University of Central Florida and Florida International University?

Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

Congrats to everyone accepted to the class of 2016! I'm in the class of 2014, so I'll be moving out soon to start my clinical rotations, but my lease goes until July 1 so I'm trying to find someone who wants to move in by mid May or early June. I live at Benson Hills Apartments in Haslett (less than 10 min. drive from Fee Hall). It is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment on the third floor, and is much cheaper ($650/month) and larger than most other places around campus. I've lived here for the past 2 years and it has been very conveniently close to everything, but still quiet for studying. Let me know if anyone is interested and I can send more details!

Hey guys,

So I just got accepted to MSU. I was wondering if anyone had information on how MSU ranks in terms of matching their students into good residency programs.

Also, how does MSU do when compared to newer MD programs like University of Central Florida and Florida International University?

Please let me know. I would really appreciate it.

MSUCOM has one of the better match lists for DO schools due to the extensive residency programs in the state. There are an especially large amount of AOA surgery residencies there.

As for comparing them to the newer MD schools...well, most will tell you that any MD will offer you a better chance at competitive slots than a DO school. While that may be true, it certainly doesn't rule you out from matching into great AOA programs (and possibly allopathic, as well) as a DO. But at the end of the day, your education is going to be dependent on what you do with it. No specialty is going to be easy if you are lazy, and that's true whether you're enrolled at RVU or Harvard.

Congrats on the acceptance! MSU is a great school.

msucom has one of the better match lists for do schools due to the extensive residency programs in the state. There are an especially large amount of aoa surgery residencies there.

As for comparing them to the newer md schools...well, most will tell you that any md will offer you a better chance at competitive slots than a do school. While that may be true, it certainly doesn't rule you out from matching into great aoa programs (and possibly allopathic, as well) as a do. But at the end of the day, your education is going to be dependent on what you do with it. No specialty is going to be easy if you are lazy, and that's true whether you're enrolled at rvu or harvard.

Congrats on the acceptance! Msu is a great school.

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself :D