MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Speeter, I guess great minds think alike, cause I went with Bank of America for the exact same reason!

All 5 lenders have the exact interest rate. Some have a few benefits for one person that would not be beneficial to another. The differences are so small I don't think it even matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get the email about parking this morning? Sweet baby Jeebus it's $407 for the year. That's insane.

Isn't there a lot for a business across the road that offers some parking for a cheaper price? Just remember that if you dont get a permit, the standard fee for parking anywhere on msu (metered or lot) is $1.50 per hour. So I guess If you plan on driving everyday, its worth it. Also keep in mind that some lots they open up at 8 (or is it 10?) at night and are free to park in till morning. I did that frequently when I parked at IM west to go to the library or gym at night.

If I get a place to live thats close enough, Im just gonna ride my bike. I did all undergrad, so it cant be too bad to do a couple more years of it. Its gonna be cheaper to fix my bike than it would be to pay for a tank of gas, more or less 400 for a parking pass!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I nearly crapped my pants when I saw the $407 price this morning. My apartment is a bit too far from campus to ride my bike to class.

Ugh, I still need to select a new lender. Glad I checked this thread, cuz with everything else going on I definitely had forgotten about that. Oops!

I couldn't believe that email about parking either. It sucks that I'm already getting resentful about how MSU nickle and dimes you with everything, and classes haven't even started yet. Honestly, parking for the undergrads is less than 250 for the year for a closer lot, so I'm not sure why they think it's OK to slam the med kids like that. Gives me a bad impression of the administration...

Edit: and technically, it's $427 if you get the gate card so you don't have to have the hassle of talking to the booth person everytime you pull out of the lot to go home!

Maybe I'll buy a donorcycle and ride from Okemos. I heard they can park right up next to the building. There's only about 4 months that you can't ride in MI.

What about parking for the summer? The $427 covers fall & spring, but what about for our classes starting in June?

What about parking for the summer? The $427 covers fall & spring, but what about for our classes starting in June?

I think we can park in one of the lots outside of fee hall for free.

they said that lot close to the medical campus is free in the summer too

I too have heard we don't have to pay for summer parking, just the fall/summer. There is the option of On Campus Parking and also off campus parking at Eyde from what I understand. The word is that Eyde is less expensive but parking is limited.

When looking at the Excel spreadsheet (with all the items to purchase) that we received by email yesterday, I noticed that a stethoscope wasn't on there. Do you think we'll have to purchase one of these separately? How much do they usually cost?

Does anyone know when we should apply for parking at the Eyde building? With gas at $4, I'm thinking about starting a car pool....

BTW I did read having a personal stethoscope is becoming a thing of the past. Most places require healthcare providers to use the stethoscopes that are assigned to the room; it lessens the chances of cross contamination. (It’s a fairly new policy) But if you're all about looking like the stereotypical doctor it’s still fashionable to have one. I think every med-student giving the open house tours had one. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandma got me one for Christmas, but I have no idea if its a good one or not. Its a Littman (sp?) Master Cardiology. Havent had it out of the box yet... are these ones any good?

My grandma got me one for Christmas, but I have no idea if its a good one or not. Its a Littman (sp?) Master Cardiology. Havent had it out of the box yet... are these ones any good?
Yeah like one of the best you can buy.

does anyone think that there will be any more movement with the waitlist?

does anyone think that there will be any more movement with the waitlist?

I would venture a guess that there will be quite a bit of waitlist movement, but it will be after the 15th, that's when all the MD applicants have to cut down to one acceptance then people will move off waitlists at MD schools and some DO acceptees will jump ship opening up some more seats at MSUCOM!! I'm 99.999999999% sure that even if I pull an MD slot I am sticking with MSUCOM!!! I love the program and I can't think of anything that will be swaying me, but.....I would bet there are several of us holding a DO slot while on an MD waitlist right now so not everyone will share my devotion to MSUCOM and some will opt for the MD instead. Only time will tell! Good luck to all you waitlisters, MD or DO! I hope you end up where you wanna be, as for me ~ I'm a Sparty all the way!!!

does anyone think that there will be any more movement with the waitlist?[/quote

I've also heard the movement occurs after the 15th of May, so hang in there! I know how frustrating the waitlist is. Have you been accepted anywhere else? I've been accepted to LECOM, but don't want to go at all. I don't think I can wait another year, though, since I've been out of school two years. Have faith, hopefully us waitlisters will hear something good soon. :)

I was accepted at DMUCOM, but I gave up my seat because I really want to go to MSUCOM. I really don't want to take a year off, but I will if I have to just so I can go to MSUCOM.

I was accepted at DMUCOM, but I gave up my seat because I really want to go to MSUCOM. I really don't want to take a year off, but I will if I have to just so I can go to MSUCOM.

what waitlist are you on? guaranteed for 2013 or no?

If I get into CHM or Wayne I'm gonna give up my spot

I gave up my spot at Wayne to go to COM. I think I would do the same at CHM for curriculum's sake.

I gave up my spots at Wayne and Ohio State... I did the interviews at both just to say "Hah- for all the people you turn down, I TURNED YOU DOWN!"----- though I'm "STILL" getting rejection letters from places I didn't even know I applied to...

I hated the location and curriculum at Wayne--- Detroit is a scary place.

Ohio state was just as uptight and snobby as Univ. Mich... not my kind of people~~~

Glad I decided on MSUCOM the more I get to know my classmates =P

Just got the call from Wayne today... When the acceptance packet comes in I'm dropping my spot. I hope one of you guys gets it!

Congrats on your WSUSOM acceptance!
Those of you turning down MD schools for MSUCOM (not that I blame you at all...MSUCOM is my #1 and a great school) why are you doing it? Just out of curiosity...their curriculum is nice with summer anatomy but DO vs. MD is a significant jump. Again, I agree that it doesn't get any better than MSUCOM

Just got the call from Wayne today... When the acceptance packet comes in I'm dropping my spot. I hope one of you guys gets it!

Congrats!!! :) Wayne State has a good med school! I went there for undergrad, and many of my friends go there. They really like it, good luck!

Congrats on your WSUSOM acceptance!
Those of you turning down MD schools for MSUCOM (not that I blame you at all...MSUCOM is my #1 and a great school) why are you doing it? Just out of curiosity...their curriculum is nice with summer anatomy but DO vs. MD is a significant jump. Again, I agree that it doesn't get any better than MSUCOM
A significant jump in what? I want to do either EM or FM so I just chose the school and location that I liked more. I guess if I wanted Rads, Derm, or Ortho I might have chosen MD.

A significant jump in what? I want to do either EM or FM so I just chose the school and location that I liked more. I guess if I wanted Rads, Derm, or Ortho I might have chosen MD.

If you want to Rads, Derm or Ortho, it makes more sense to do DO...fewer applicants overall, therefore, more residencies per student...

If you want to Rads, Derm or Ortho, it makes more sense to do DO...fewer applicants overall, therefore, more residencies per student...

uh, really :confused:

I thought the DO "ROAD" specialties were still really competitive and only accepted 1-2 people per year.

MSU's SCS does seem to have quite a few specialty residencies. Do MSUCOM graduates get preference at those sites?

uh, really :confused:

I thought the DO "ROAD" specialties were still really competitive and only accepted 1-2 people per year.

MSU's SCS does seem to have quite a few specialty residencies. Do MSUCOM graduates get preference at those sites?

The ROAD is still competitive, but I'd rather take my chances as a DO than MD...MSU's SCS has several specialties (with more in the accreditation process) - while COM graduates don't get preference per se, since we rotate through many of those hospitals during clerkship (and often have preference when scheduling out-rotations through the SCS), it is certainly much easier to be seen.

Wow, there hasn't been any discussion here for a couple months. How's everyone on the waitlist holding up? Has anyone tried calling admissions? I keep going back and forth on calling...I don't want to sound whiney. :) Good luck everyone still waiting....

I'm in the same boat- 'high' on the waitlist but still waiting. The anticipation is almost unbearable. I called them a few weeks ago and they said they would only disclose whether or not someone was in the 'top 10' spots of the list. I wasn't there yet.

Call them Zoey!

I'm in the same boat- 'high' on the waitlist but still waiting. The anticipation is almost unbearable. I called them a few weeks ago and they said they would only disclose whether or not someone was in the 'top 10' spots of the list. I wasn't there yet.

Call them Zoey!

Oh Gosh! That would make me even more nervous if I called and found out I wasn't on the top 10! Do you know if they move people within the waitlist, or if it is first come first served? Also, are you getting prepared in case, such as finding a place to live and getting immunizations? I'm trying to go about my life normally, but at this point, it's all I can think about! I guess worrying isn't going to do anything, though. Thanks so much for your input!

I posted this on another MSUCOM thread, but I was accepted off the high waitlist in early April. I checked our class enrollment today for you guys waiting, and there are currently 186 people enrolled in Anatomy for the summer. If someone else could determine how many students MSUCOM is planning to accept total this year, you guys might have a better idea of how many they are still anticipating to accept off the waitlist.

I posted this on another MSUCOM thread, but I was accepted off the high waitlist in early April. I checked our class enrollment today for you guys waiting, and there are currently 186 people enrolled in Anatomy for the summer. If someone else could determine how many students MSUCOM is planning to accept total this year, you guys might have a better idea of how many they are still anticipating to accept off the waitlist.

Thanks for checking! :) I think they admit around 200, maybe a bit more. I heard from another student that just because they are admitted doesn't mean they are enrolled for Anatomy. Congrats again for getting off the waitlist!!! Hopefully I'll see you next month. At this point, I'm leaving everything up to fate. I've already waited two years, so I can't imagine waiting another. I've gotten enough "real world" experience working at a good hospital, but seeing and being around the med students doing their rotations every day is getting to me. If I have to go to LECOM I will (please God no!), and if I'm meant to go to MSU I'll get off the waitlist. Accepting that I can't do anything else but wait is difficult, and I need to stop letting this consume me. Good luck everyone. Sorry for ranting, I just needed to vent! Take care!:)

I heard from another student that just because they are admitted doesn't mean they are enrolled for Anatomy.

Yup, that's true. They could have been admitted very recently and just not have yet received their username / password which allows them to sign up for the class.

Oh Gosh! That would make me even more nervous if I called and found out I wasn't on the top 10! Do you know if they move people within the waitlist, or if it is first come first served? Also, are you getting prepared in case, such as finding a place to live and getting immunizations? I'm trying to go about my life normally, but at this point, it's all I can think about! I guess worrying isn't going to do anything, though. Thanks so much for your input!

My understanding is that we were given a number when put on the waitlist. Those of us w/ a guaranteed spot were higher up on the list. Thats all I know.
As far as being prepared, I am up on my immunizations from my job and fortunately my parents live close enough to allow me to commute until I find a place so it's not a huge concern right now.

By the way, I didn't need to see those statistics above (186/200)! Now I am really nervous. I still have a chance at least!

No worries! I've found comfort in convincing myself that many of the folks high on the waitlist have moved on by now (Wayne, U of M, CHM). In reality, I don't think this that scenario would be too much of a stretch.

How many folks do you think get waitlisted with a guaranteed spot the following year?

No worries! I've found comfort in convincing myself that many of the folks high on the waitlist have moved on by now (Wayne, U of M, CHM). In reality, I don't think this that scenario would be too much of a stretch.

How many folks do you think get waitlisted with a guaranteed spot the following year?

Maybe if you called admissions they can tell you.

Maybe if you called admissions they can tell you.

No, it's your turn!

In all honesty, at this point I'd rather be blissfully unaware of what is going on than told that the door has been shut for the year. My hopes are so high.

I don't have any fall back schools. You have LECOM! :D

No, it's your turn!

In all honesty, at this point I'd rather be blissfully unaware of what is going on than told that the door has been shut for the year. My hopes are so high.

I don't have any fall back schools. You have LECOM! :D

You made me too scared to call now!!!
Trust me, LECOM is no fall back school. I had a pretty bad experience in Erie, PA and don't feel like I fit in too well. :scared: I won't go into any details, but trust me, it's as if I have no fall back. It's better not to dwell on this waitlist situation (I know it's hard). I need to stop checking this message board every hour, it's just fueling the fire. Take care :luck:

i am getting kinda worried that i wont get called off the waitlist. i figure that if i dont hear anything within the next week or two, i probably wont be hearing anything at all. i guess taking one year off wont be too bad.

i am getting kinda worried that i wont get called off the waitlist. i figure that if i dont hear anything within the next week or two, i probably wont be hearing anything at all. i guess taking one year off wont be too bad.

I wanted to offer some consoling advice and perspective for those of you on the waitlist- there will definitely be movement up until June 23!! MSU starts so very early, and the true 'waitlist movement season' just began yesterday! While I know it is only about a month plus a bit before classes start at MSU, most schools don't start until August, and just started utilizing their waitlists yesterday (or haven't begun to call people yet!). There is still plenty of time for movement, don't get discouraged or throw in the towel yet! It's not over til it's over, and that cliche has never been more true than in regards to med school admissions!

I wanted to offer some consoling advice and perspective for those of you on the waitlist- there will definitely be movement up until June 23!! MSU starts so very early, and the true 'waitlist movement season' just began yesterday! While I know it is only about a month plus a bit before classes start at MSU, most schools don't start until August, and just started utilizing their waitlists yesterday (or haven't begun to call people yet!). There is still plenty of time for movement, don't get discouraged or throw in the towel yet! It's not over til it's over, and that cliche has never been more true than in regards to med school admissions!

Thank you for comforting us waitlisters! :) I'm going to stop being a Debbie Downer. You're so right, It's not over til it's over!

This week will be our week zoey. I can feel it! We will celebrate w/ a round at Rick's on me for anyone that get's in this week!