MSUCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those on the high waitlist for 2012, should the financial aid be filled out? Are you looking for housing? Seems like it would be pretty disasterous to get pulled off the waitlist the day before classes start and not have anything prepared. What do you think?

Fill out financial aid. Worst case scenario, you don't take classes and you don't get it... but much better than owing MSU thousands of dollars and not having it.

Housing could be more complicated. If you sign a lease and aren't in 2012, you would have to break the lease (costs hundreds of dollars) and you would be responsible for the rent until they find a new tenant. There will always be apartments at MSU... they may not be great, and they may not be close to the school, but you'll always find something in Okemos/Lansing/East Lansing.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting...I sure hope we all hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted today! I was on the waitlist with a guaranteed seat for class of 2013, but they sent me the email at around 5 PM. I'm still on multiple other waitlists, so I'm going to wait and see if I get any other offers, but it feels good to finally have 1 acceptance for THIS year! :)

Just got accepted today! I was on the waitlist with a guaranteed seat for class of 2013, but they sent me the email at around 5 PM. I'm still on multiple other waitlists, so I'm going to wait and see if I get any other offers, but it feels good to finally have 1 acceptance for THIS year! :)

When do other wait lists start moving? MSU starts in June as you know.

Yaaay! Congrats on your acceptance!! Are you out of state by chance?

Are you out of state by chance?

Nope, I'm in state. My application wasn't complete at MSUCOM until really late (mid November), and one of the advisors said that had a big impact on why I got waitlisted. I'm almost 100% sure I'll be attending, I'm gonna start looking at places to live soon, and for people to live with (totally clueless right now).

Wow, that's great!!!! You must feel so relieved! Congrats!

Hey fastdude check out the facebook group.

One of my best friends recently got accepted to a Master's degree program at MSU, so I'll rooming with him. Life has been good lately :)

Hi guys,
I'm a little new to these forums. I have read about 10 pages of this thread. Congrats to all those who got in. I just wanted to know what are my chances and any advice from you guys. I'm currently at Wayne state in my 2nd year. I'm a transfer student from Windsor University in Ontario where i did 1.5 years (first and half of second year). I'm planning on taking my MCAT this early September. My average overall is around a 3.5 and science is probably a 3.4. I'm instate. Looking at that, do you think i have a chance even though i have only done 2 years of undergrad. I have all the pre reqs they need. Also, the LOR, do they have to be from DO because i called the counselor and she said it has to be from some one you know really well. Not necessarily a DO or a science professor.
Any advice on this issue will be appreciated.
Thanks
Jamal

forgive me if misunderstood your question? but i'll give it a poke---

Ok-- They require 90 credit hours, and all of the prereq's... but not necessarily a "degree" proper...

They do accept candidates if they don't have a degree (I am, in fact, one of these candidates) But you need a strong application, STRONG volunteer experience--- with emphasis on volunteer time over years, not just "for the application of medical school"

As far as numbers-- I had a 3.5 overall, 3.6 science with a 31 MCAT--

The chances really depend on how good your letters and volunteer experience is, not necessarily your numbers

Good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for replying ... in regards to volunteering, i have been volunteering with my local religious center for about 4 years now and for 2 years i was a youth group leader. ALl of this experience was non-medical however. I recently just started volunteering at the local hospital, about 10 hours of experience so far. Would they put more emphasis on the medical volunteering or the other volunteering?

forgive me if misunderstood your question? but i'll give it a poke---

Ok-- They require 90 credit hours, and all of the prereq's... but not necessarily a "degree" proper...

They do accept candidates if they don't have a degree (I am, in fact, one of these candidates) But you need a strong application, STRONG volunteer experience--- with emphasis on volunteer time over years, not just "for the application of medical school"

As far as numbers-- I had a 3.5 overall, 3.6 science with a 31 MCAT--

The chances really depend on how good your letters and volunteer experience is, not necessarily your numbers

Good luck :luck:

Your LOR does not have to be from a DO

was complete Oct 21, waitlisted in mid february, got in April 17!

I was still waitlisted on my visit day to the campus. Hope best luck on other people who are waiting :) DOn't lose hope!

oh most importantly, I submitted letters of interest and kept connection with the advisor.

I was still waitlisted on my visit day to the campus. Hope best luck on other people who are waiting :) DOn't lose hope!

oh most importantly, I submitted letters of interest and kept connection with the advisor.

Welcome to the class goodrap.

Looking forward to seeing all of you that may be attending the Open House tomorrow!

For those of you who went to open house today, how did it go? Did anyone on the waitlist go? I thought it was only for those accepted into the class of 2012.

Congrats on your acceptance! I got waislisted with a spot for 2013 at the end of January and have yet to hear back from them. I think I should start contacting the admissions office and see whats up. Does anyone think they rank within the top of the waitlist...kinda like a second top 20% of the top waitlist get accepted based on openings? That was a good call keeping connections with the advisor and submitting letters of interest. Hopefully I'll see u come July..Congrats again!

Thanks!
By the way, I'm not sure about this but this can be true.
New students are automatically enrolled for ANTR 551, for the summer anatomy class is mandatory. I checked the status of enrollment count, and it's 160 out of 220 total right now. I think that means the class is not yet full. Even though this might not be 100% correct, hope this helps ppl to be more positive.

I went to the open house yesterday. It was cool to check out the building and see where everything is. Also got to ask the M1's and some M2's their admissions stories which was interesting. I don't think the open house was just for those already accepted either cause I saw a lot of people who were applying this coming june for admission in '09. Lots of good information, hope everyone who wanted to go did! MSUCOM rocks!:thumbup:

Thanks!
New students are automatically enrolled for ANTR 551, for the summer anatomy class is mandatory. I checked the status of enrollment count, and it's 160 out of 220 total right now. I think that means the class is not yet full. Even though this might not be 100% correct, hope this helps ppl to be more positive.

This gives me hope! Thanks! : )

Thanks!

Goodrap, I was MSU class of '07 Human Bio too...wonder if I know ya ;)

I wanted to add that I think with the enrollment count being that low, they are definitely still slowly adding to their class. I personally know two people who have been admitted within the last month, and I don't really know THAT many people! Also, the enrollment number might be that low because you have to actually go to StuInfo and 'register' to attend MSUCOM for them to enroll you in the summer anatomy course. The kids that have been admitted, but that haven't registered yet, are likely waiting to hear back from somewhere else. Also, I know MSU starts super early compared to other schools, but after May 15 all that allo waitlist movement will trickle down to MSUCOM as well, with kids getting taken into Wayne and MSUCHM and withdrawing from MSUCOM. Either way, there are definitely two more solid months of shuffling for seats. Good luck you guys!

Goodrap, I was MSU class of '07 Human Bio too...wonder if I know ya ;)

I wanted to add that I think with the enrollment count being that low, they are definitely still slowly adding to their class. I personally know two people who have been admitted within the last month, and I don't really know THAT many people! Also, the enrollment number might be that low because you have to actually go to StuInfo and 'register' to attend MSUCOM for them to enroll you in the summer anatomy course. The kids that have been admitted, but that haven't done that yet, are likely waiting to hear back from somewhere else. Also, I know MSU starts super early compared to other schools, but after May 15 that allo waitlist movement will trickle down to MSUCOM as well, with kids getting taken into Wayne and MSUCHM and withdrawing from MSUCOM. Either way, there are definitely two more solid months of shuffling for seats. Good luck you guys!

Hi Scowdeva,
I was wondering if the two people you know who were admitted this past month were first on a waitlist? I thought the class was full since January.

Hi Scowdeva,
I was wondering if the two people you know who were admitted this past month were first on a waitlist? I thought the class was full since January.

I know for a fact that one of them was not on a waitlist- they were still being debated about by the admissions committee. That one might have been a special case, though. The other person I know just got admitted two weeks ago. I don't know them very well, and they mentioned that they had just been admitted and were excited to start looking for apartments- they didn't explicitly say they were accepted off the waitlist, and the wording led me to believe that they hadn't yet heard anything from them, but that could have just been because they already knew I had been admitted...I would feel uncomfortable asking them, but I would think they were probably taken from the list.

There WILL be more movement guys! Hang in there! I'm rooting that we can be classmates this June!

The open house was pretty neat. Lots of OMS1 and 2's walking around to answer questions. The OMM clinic was lots of fun except the room was about 90 degrees and extremely humid! Congratulations to all of you accepted recently and starting later this year. I have talked to numerous medical students at MSUCOM and I have heard nothing but amazing things about the school. Many of them turned down CHM / WSU SOM / OOS schools for MSUCOM. Hopefully I will see you there for the c/o 2014! Any vital admissions advice? Things you would do differently? Thanks--

The open house was pretty neat. Lots of OMS1 and 2's walking around to answer questions. The OMM clinic was lots of fun except the room was about 90 degrees and extremely humid! Congratulations to all of you accepted recently and starting later this year. I have talked to numerous medical students at MSUCOM and I have heard nothing but amazing things about the school. Many of them turned down CHM / WSU SOM / OOS schools for MSUCOM. Hopefully I will see you there for the c/o 2014! Any vital admissions advice? Things you would do differently? Thanks--

As for vital admissions advice, I would just suggest to definitely get your application in ASAP...I was complete at the beginning of August, and was accepted the first day they gave out acceptances (Sept 5). This made my life soooo much less stressful! The earlier your application, the more likely you are to get accepted, as they only look at the top 20% of apps each meeting and decide who to accept from them. The more weeks you are in the top 20%, the more times they see your file and can potentially accept you.

Also, MSUCOM very strongly values volunteerism in it's applicants. That is probably the strongest part of my own app, so I was pretty happy to find that out. On their secondary, they ask you about your volunteering all the way back into high school, so a strong history of it will bank points in that category for you. It's a great school, and as the days go by I get more and more excited to be starting this summer! Good luck!

I agree with everything scowdeva said, especially the part about getting the app done early! I also think you should be sure to have your eval forms filled out by people you and your family know very well. It's not as important to have them be academic or professional. I think MSUCOM uses the evals to determine what kind of relationships you have with people.

During the open house I talked with a few students a lot and one of them was on the selection committee. She said that they REALLLYYYY value volunteering, more than anything else. Obviously you have to have good grades and MCAT scores but once you have those, the volunteering is HUGE. When I applied, I pulled stuff out of everywhere in high school from NHS, varsity soccer, yearbook, ect... to show that i did a lot even then. The student said they try to do this to help get a more diverse class, as affirmative action has been removed from the selection process. :( I would say that you should have strong medical volunteering experiences, though, I would think that they look at it.

On a side note, i didn't use a DO for my letter of rec, but i did use a MD (he runs a non-profit clinic) I had done a lot of volunteering with and Fundraising for with a different organization I was involved with. I think that might have helped me. The other one I used was a professor I had a few different times, in the lab and in class. I did meet with her and give her a really complete portfolio so that she could learn more about me and intern write more about me. Once you get secondaries you have a month to fill them out and the letter of recommendation format they use is different then a normal letter, so maybe plan for that ahead of time, I wish i had. It would have been way less stressful.

do they take people off the waitlist only on wednesdays, or can it happen on any day?

do they take people off the waitlist only on wednesdays, or can it happen on any day?

I don't think there is a specific day of the week...I think it's just when they have a spot to fill and chose that person off the list.

This is probably the wrong place to post this... but maybe someone has an idea here. So, I've been accepted to MSUCOM and planning to attend this summer (yahooo!), but I'm pretty bummed because my fiance applied to the CHM and has been put on the alternate list after his late January interview :( Does anyone know how big the alternate list is for the CHM? or how many people they usually move up an in? Thanks for any advice.

This is probably the wrong place to post this... but maybe someone has an idea here. So, I've been accepted to MSUCOM and planning to attend this summer (yahooo!), but I'm pretty bummed because my fiance applied to the CHM and has been put on the alternate list after his late January interview :( Does anyone know how big the alternate list is for the CHM? or how many people they usually move up an in? Thanks for any advice.

There are a few threads on here with this info, search Michigan State waitlist and a bunch of info should pop up for you. It seems like they waitlist quite a few people...I know at least 10-15 that are waitlisted right now, and MDApps has 15 people that list themselves as waitlisted (probably represents ~10% or so of applicants, just to get an idea). There is decent waitlist movement, but they waitlist way more people than they can accept. In short: plan for the worst but hope for the best.

Congrats on your acceptance, and welcome! And good luck to your fiance! I can commiserate with the stresses of factoring a fiance's plans into yours...I'm there too! It'll work out.

Thanks scowdeva! I passed the info along to the fiance. Do you know if the CHM does the same type of thing that the COM does, with guaranteed acceptance for the following year?

Thanks scowdeva! I passed the info along to the fiance. Do you know if the CHM does the same type of thing that the COM does, with guaranteed acceptance for the following year?

Not to my knowledge...if they did, and he was going to be given one, he would have gotten that info when they first waitlisted him. COM only gives it to kids whom are at the very tippy top of the waitlist, as they want them but don't have room currently. Most of the time, these kids get in before school starts anyways, so they don't have to wait the year. Is your fiance opposed to applying to COM this summer if he doesn't get into CHM of the waitlist??

No he is planning on applying to the COM for next year if he doesn't move off the waitlist for CHM. The only thing is, is that now he will be 1 year behind me.... which is kind of a bummer, as far as applying to programs after med school etc. Wonder how that will work....

Well, I'm about to give up my acceptance to CHM so maybe he'll get my spot. I have been going back and forth for a while about COM vs CHM and I think I've decided that COM is the best place for me. Good luck to your fiance.

Well, I'm about to give up my acceptance to CHM so maybe he'll get my spot. I have been going back and forth for a while about COM vs CHM and I think I've decided that COM is the best place for me. Good luck to your fiance.
Excellent choice.

I'm trying to get my finances in order...so for you people coming off the waitlist-

How much do you have to come up with before classes start (deposits, insurance, etc)? I've read some posts regarding financial aid and insurance that have confused me lately on the "class of 2012" thread. Theoretically, what fees can you have postponed? I've prepared for the deposit but these other fees could be an issue.

Is anyone else wondering what the heck is going on with MSU's financial aid? I just got a letter today that my stafford loans for this summer were canceled and that MSU's former lender is no longer doing student loans.

I found this on MSU's fin-aid site http://finaid.msu.edu/loanfaq.asp

I am a little confused with it since it seems like it says I need to fill out 2 promissory notes, one for summer with a smaller bank, and the other for fall and beyond with MSU's new apparent lender (US Treasury)

Has anyone else had this note show up? what exactly do I need to fill out so I can pay for school in june?

Is anyone else wondering what the heck is going on with MSU's financial aid? I just got a letter today that my stafford loans for this summer were canceled and that MSU's former lender is no longer doing student loans.

I found this on MSU's fin-aid site http://finaid.msu.edu/loanfaq.asp

I am a little confused with it since it seems like it says I need to fill out 2 promissory notes, one for summer with a smaller bank, and the other for fall and beyond with MSU's new apparent lender (US Treasury)

Has anyone else had this note show up? what exactly do I need to fill out so I can pay for school in june?

I went to MSU stuinfo... and then went to 2007-2008 finaid. They had a link on the top of the page. That is what I did...

i am getting a little nervous. i have the guaranteed spot for the class of 2013, but i really want to get in this year. i hope they are still taking people off the waitlist. anyone hear anything lately?

I went to see an admissions advisor today and she was very helpful - however I have some questions for all of you who have been through the application process this year.

1.) Will I be at a disadvantage taking the August MCAT? I plan on having my primary (AACOMAS) application in asap this May. My MCAT scores will not be released until Sept, so at the earliest I will not be complete at MSUCOM until mid/late September. This kind of concerns me. What do you think?

2.) I have not taken many upper-level science courses yet. I have taken a few, but the majority of them for my major are going to be next year. The advisor told me today that they look favorably upon good grades in the upper level classes and an improving trend overall. Will this hurt me? I am taking biochemistry this summer and that will count in this application cycle.

Also I just put my MDApps profile under my avatar...take a look and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

I went to see an admissions advisor today and she was very helpful - however I have some questions for all of you who have been through the application process this year.

1.) Will I be at a disadvantage taking the August MCAT? I plan on having my primary (AACOMAS) application in asap this May. My MCAT scores will not be released until Sept, so at the earliest I will not be complete at MSUCOM until mid/late September. This kind of concerns me. What do you think?

2.) I have not taken many upper-level science courses yet. I have taken a few, but the majority of them for my major are going to be next year. The advisor told me today that they look favorably upon good grades in the upper level classes and an improving trend overall. Will this hurt me? I am taking biochemistry this summer and that will count in this application cycle.

Also I just put my MDApps profile under my avatar...take a look and any suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

I think they will put a hold on you until they meet their minimum course requirements. Great ec's by the way.

i am getting a little nervous. i have the guaranteed spot for the class of 2013, but i really want to get in this year. i hope they are still taking people off the waitlist. anyone hear anything lately?

No, still waiting....

I went to MSU stuinfo... and then went to 2007-2008 finaid. They had a link on the top of the page. That is what I did...

which bank did you end up going through? I saw they had about 5 to choose from

which bank did you end up going through? I saw they had about 5 to choose from

I went through 5/3 just because that's where my savings and checking accounts are. Definitely a dumb reason to get a loan from them, but I guess I like the familiarity factor.

I was accepted before I took Biochem, which is a requirement for COM. I don't think it will hold you back from having your app reviewed.

I went through 5/3 just because that's where my savings and checking accounts are. Definitely a dumb reason to get a loan from them, but I guess I like the familiarity factor.

Hey Speeter, I guess great minds think alike, cause I went with Bank of America for the exact same reason!