MSUCOM-EL vs. KCU-Jopling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yourboimiko

Reaction score
I have been blessed with multiple D.O. acceptances and I’ve narrowed it down to these two schools! I would OOS state for both as I am a Florida resident. I don’t know exactly what I want to do in terms of specialty but I am definitely leaning towards hands-on specialties such as surgery, or G.I. (specifically Neurogastro b/c of doing procedures like colonoscopy/endoscopies).

With this being said I wrote this sporadically tired after work. There may be jumps and incomplete thoughts so I apologize in advance. I would like honest thoughts and opinions on this as most threads come down “ if you're in state MSU, if not other school.” That’s not what I want to hear, haha. I plan on visiting the schools in January/February (the middle of winter is best to see the school dead winter to see how brutal it could be).

Both schools offer pretty decent match rates into surgical residencies (again this honestly will boil down to my success in USMLE and COMLEX so it probably does not impact that much.)

In terms of location, it does not bother me too much because I am pretty adaptable to rural areas and the cold (currently live in Boston). My biggest sway right now is the fact that MSUCOM is a public state school so, I am biased due to my experience at UF in terms of school pride and lifestyle (getting schwasted at tailgates and sports). I have also heard from contacting current students that MSUCOM’s facilities are not the nicest (somewhat outdated) meanwhile, KCU is “state of the art” (oooo…. shiny). Joplin is pretty rural even compared to Gainesville. But that’s fine because I'm an outdoors person ( if not studying, playing video games, or working out [including outdoor adventures], I don't go out unless I get invited to places).

In terms of living situation, I feel that at least in the EL location for MSUCOM I could get by without a car. However, for KCU-Joplin I will definitely need a car. Here’s the thing: rent in Joplin is 700 avg, and EL is about 1000. It comes to about the same if factor in car payment to Joplin and gas. But that also means extra loans in a sense. (correct me if I’m brewing up a fantasy). Living in general at Jopling is slightly cheaper to EL based on talking to students during Q&A.

The weather seems semi-important, Joplin I feel would be like an average winter and snowfall. While MSU can probably be an arctic tundra at some point.

Here comes another big one for me, although I’m not drawn to my support system back home. I do hope/plan on moving back to FL (maybe TX). Once I am done with school/residency. KCU offers off-site rotations in FL allowing me to network and build relations for possibly a better chance of matching in Florida instead of having to wait till after residency. Meanwhile, MSU would be restricted to Michigan. The benefit of this is that MSUCOM is established so chances are my quality of rotations can/will be better which in turn could help me get into a residency program in the specialty I would like but possibly have to stay in MI for another 4 years.

Within all of this is the small caveat of my girlfriend attending Tufts school. This means that MSU would put me closer to her in terms of dealing with shorter flight times (2hr 20 mins) and an airport directly in East Lansing. KCU on the other hand, I’d have to drive to KC (2hr 20 mins) and fly another 3.5 hrs. We both know that education/career comes first. The long-distance is fine but MSU is a lot more accommodating and allows for extra hanging out time when we can visit each other (the current goal is 1-2 times a month alternating, or just meeting in FL).

MSU being a state school means there is hella funding for research. I have not done any at this point in my life but I definitely want to dabble in it b/c I think I’d like it. KCU does not have this, however, where there is a will there's a way and the opportunities are there.

This state school funding also may also benefit me in terms of tuition. Being Hispanic and disadvantaged socioeconomically (EFC: 0). I think I have a decent shot of getting at least a few scholarships that can lower the COA to lower or similar to KCU. I know that MSUCOM lowered tuition costs for OOS students and it's only a 40K difference total (b/t the 4 years). So, when it comes to comparing the schools at the end of the day I’m going to be in a **** ton of debt anyways so the 40K difference ahh… is not a deal breaker. What would definitely sway my decisions if I did get a significant scholarship opportunity at either school in which case everything else becomes invalid and the cheaper school wins. However, I currently do not have any of this so I'm doing this in terms of no financial aid and just looking at a 40K difference which again is not a dealbreaker.

KUC-Joplin
Tuition: 339,500

MSUCOM
Tuition: 373,133

So when it comes to comparing the school's tuition is not a deciding factor I care more about the curriculum, rotations, lifestyle, and getting the best opportunities/ resources to achieve my goals (good board scores & matching in competitive specialty).

Now the academics, at KCU I love the idea of systems-based learning and going over it again in the same order during the second year. I also like the fact that it is not OMM-heavy. I have heard the stories that the school “breaks you” due to the constant workload and stress. But personally, I kinda like that environment (kinda the same feeling as a runner high/ adrenaline rush to me). Comparatively, MSUCOM the curriculum is being reworked for CO27 making the summer shorter and some other changes hence the tuition cost difference being lower now ( Idk exactly what they are as everything is under wraps). I know people have pointed out that DO students take courses with PA students to me at least I could really care less. Joplin to me has the advantage of a slightly smaller class size of 160~ while MSUCOM-EL has about 210~. In terms of lectures from what I understand both schools are similar in terms of attendance and record lectures. I am interested in also doing global health electives which both schools offer, but MSU gives me the chance of possibly going to study in Cuba for a few weeks to see the medical system of my people (probably a disaster, but I want to experience it first hand.) Both schools are P/F/honors (I believe).

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the poster above! Seemed like you resonate much more with MSU-COM!

I have been blessed with multiple D.O. acceptances and I’ve narrowed it down to these two schools! I would OOS state for both as I am a Florida resident. I don’t know exactly what I want to do in terms of specialty but I am definitely leaning towards hands-on specialties such as surgery, or G.I. (specifically Neurogastro b/c of doing procedures like colonoscopy/endoscopies).
MSU's got many in house residency programs, that from what I have been told, offers its graduates a bit of a home program advantage like most MD schools. This would be of great benefit if you are going after more competitive specialities.
In terms of living situation, I feel that at least in the EL location for MSUCOM I could get by without a car. However, for KCU-Joplin I will definitely need a car. Here’s the thing: rent in Joplin is 700 avg, and EL is about 1000. It comes to about the same if factor in car payment to Joplin and gas. But that also means extra loans in a sense. (correct me if I’m brewing up a fantasy). Living in general at Jopling is slightly cheaper to EL based on talking to students during Q&A.
From my limited research, you can easily get a one bedroom apartment near campus for less than $1000 in EL. Never been to Joplin but EL is a college town and I really enjoyed the main campus - it's HUGE.

The weather seems semi-important, Joplin I feel would be like an average winter and snowfall. While MSU can probably be an arctic tundra at some point.
I can never get used to the cold - makes me contemplate life every year.
Here comes another big one for me, although I’m not drawn to my support system back home. I do hope/plan on moving back to FL (maybe TX). Once I am done with school/residency. KCU offers off-site rotations in FL allowing me to network and build relations for possibly a better chance of matching in Florida instead of having to wait till after residency. Meanwhile, MSU would be restricted to Michigan. The benefit of this is that MSUCOM is established so chances are my quality of rotations can/will be better which in turn could help me get into a residency program in the specialty I would like but possibly have to stay in MI for another 4 years.
I believe you could do away rotations at MSU in your forth year. Most MSU graduates do end up staying in MI, but that doesn't meany they were restricted to MI. Many are from around MI. You can also refer to my first comment on home program advantage.

Within all of this is the small caveat of my girlfriend attending Tufts school. This means that MSU would put me closer to her in terms of dealing with shorter flight times (2hr 20 mins) and an airport directly in East Lansing. KCU on the other hand, I’d have to drive to KC (2hr 20 mins) and fly another 3.5 hrs. We both know that education/career comes first. The long-distance is fine but MSU is a lot more accommodating and allows for extra hanging out time when we can visit each other (the current goal is 1-2 times a month alternating, or just meeting in FL).
MSU all the way.
MSU being a state school means there is hella funding for research. I have not done any at this point in my life but I definitely want to dabble in it b/c I think I’d like it. KCU does not have this, however, where there is a will there's a way and the opportunities are there.
MSU wins when it comes to (more) accessible research opportunities, which will be important if you want to match a competitive specialty.
This state school funding also may also benefit me in terms of tuition. Being Hispanic and disadvantaged socioeconomically (EFC: 0). I think I have a decent shot of getting at least a few scholarships that can lower the COA to lower or similar to KCU. I know that MSUCOM lowered tuition costs for OOS students and it's only a 40K difference total (b/t the 4 years). So, when it comes to comparing the schools at the end of the day I’m going to be in a **** ton of debt anyways so the 40K difference ahh… is not a deal breaker. What would definitely sway my decisions if I did get a significant scholarship opportunity at either school in which case everything else becomes invalid and the cheaper school wins. However, I currently do not have any of this so I'm doing this in terms of no financial aid and just looking at a 40K difference which again is not a dealbreaker.
KUC-Joplin
Tuition: 339,500
MSUCOM
Tuition: 373,133
Would you mind letting me know if you get offered any scholarships - also anxiously waiting here :cryi:
Now the academics, at KCU I love the idea of systems-based learning and going over it again in the same order during the second year. I also like the fact that it is not OMM-heavy. I have heard the stories that the school “breaks you” due to the constant workload and stress. But personally, I kinda like that environment (kinda the same feeling as a runner high/ adrenaline rush to me). Comparatively, MSUCOM the curriculum is being reworked for CO27 making the summer shorter and some other changes hence the tuition cost difference being lower now ( Idk exactly what they are as everything is under wraps). I know people have pointed out that DO students take courses with PA students to me at least I could really care less. Joplin to me has the advantage of a slightly smaller class size of 160~ while MSUCOM-EL has about 210~.
Cannot comment on the curriculum at either but I can tell you that MSU spends less time on OMM than KCU. Current students please correct me if I am wrong but KCU is actually quite heavy on OMM (about 4 hours/week), as compared to 1 hour a week at MSU.
In terms of lectures from what I understand both schools are similar in terms of attendance and record lectures. I am interested in also doing global health electives which both schools offer, but MSU gives me the chance of possibly going to study in Cuba for a few weeks to see the medical system of my people (probably a disaster, but I want to experience it first hand.) Both schools are P/F/honors (I believe).
KCU also has a global health stream and offers away electives in central/south America - you do have to apply tho and I am under the impression that it is quite competitive.

Ultimately it's a very personal decision, but I hope this information helps. Once again, congratulations!

Last edited: