MSUCOM secondary frustration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indymed

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MSUCOM won't accept recommendations on any other form other than their own. Does this make sense, considering everyone uses the forms from their own school to send to med schools? What do you do if you already have all your letters on file and not on MSU forms? I can't ask my evaluators to fill out the same thing on a different form for a second time?!? This is really frustrating. Ok, I'm vented. Now what....?

Members don't see this ad.

This is so funny, I just received an email from MSUCOM regarding their secondar app, and I found the application to be so annoying that I came on here to see if anyone else had written about it- and sure enough- you have. I also got another email from them that had a list of required courses on it and had 2 columns, one for "required" courses, and one for "deficient" courses. They listed all the courses smack in betweent these two columns, so I don't know if they think I need to take additional courses, or if it was just an inofrmative type email. I think it reflects very poorly on the school. The way they have the application set up online is also quite annoying and not very efficient. Anyway, all in all I'm not very impressed.

I know MSU's secondary is a pain, but, regardless MSUCOM is GREAT! Stick with it, MSU's a great school. But, if you decide to just forget it, that's less competition for me! :)

You guys said the secondary is online, can it be publically accessed? I'd like to get a head start.... And I know they send secondaries to everyone who makes the minimum GPA/MCAT cut.... So I should be seeing one soon!

Thanks,

Soleil

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a requirement email as well. Do they think we're gonna take those classes now? As for the secondary, they sent me the link to the page, I think they have to acknolwedge your app.

As for the letters of rec, I can't imagine approaching my recommenders again and saying that there is one school that has to have their own forms so could you please fill out another form. I want to apply to the school, but I just won't go as far as inconveniencing people who have already taken the time to help me.

I just sent out my secondary application to MSUCOM yesterday. I have to admit that the format was a bit intimidating at first but working on it a little each day over the course of a couple of weeks made it seem relatively easy.

I completely disagree with what robinhudster had to say about the application ("it reflects poorly on the school"). Of all the schools that I've applied to, MSUCOM has had the most logical application. Having all of the forms accessible online is a dream world...not to mention the fact that they are very explicit in what they are looking for. Some of these secondaries that I've gotten are just absolutely vague and unreasonable in their questioning.

The separate recommendation forms are a bit of a hastle. However, they don't insist on the letter from a D.O. or M.D., instead they want to make sure you get letters from those who truly know you. This makes sense to me. I could have gotten an evaluation from the D.O. I shadowed for a week but it wouldn't have been as insightful as an evaluation from my clinical manager at the hospital...who has known me for years.

All in all, I have only become more excited about MSUCOM through researching the school and filling out there secondary. So excited, in fact, that I am prepared to take the mcat again and apply early decision next year...if I don't get in this time around.

Hey guys, I know MSUCOMs secondary may be frustrating. However, be thankful you got one because they don't send many out. MSUCOM does an extensive screening process before sending secondaries. They also give immediate response. Once you turn in your app's you'll hear back from them rather quickly.

I will be starting at MSUCOM this fall.

If you have any questions or comments, PM me or post a message.

Good Luck

However, be thankful you got one because they don't send many out. MSUCOM does an extensive screening process before sending secondaries.

I do not know how true this is. I got a secondary without an MCAT score. I have good gpa and ECs, but nothing exceptional. But I do agree that having the secondary online is a major +.

I was in your shoes last year and I am so happy to say that I will be attending MSUCOM this year. It is worth it. They only require two letters of recommendation to be filled out and they do not have to be from the same people who wrote the generic letters for other schools. I was uncomfortable asking one of my evaluators to fill the form out for me since he had already written an multi-school letter. However, I explained the situation to him and he understood how important this was and he gladly complied. I would be willing to bet that you would likely have a similiar experience.
Good Luck, whatever you choose:)

Originally posted by DOit
I do not know how true this is. I got a secondary without an MCAT score. I have good gpa and ECs, but nothing exceptional. But I do agree that having the secondary online is a major +.

If you are in-state, I believe the secondary is automatic once you met the minimum gpa requirements. Where MSU really does their screening is between the secondary and when they offer you an interview. They do not interview nearly as many applicants as other schools; at MSU, the interview is basically a formality. In past years, they have accepted every person they interviewed (minus 1-3). So no pressure on your secondary ;)

"I know MSU's secondary is a pain, but, regardless MSUCOM is GREAT! Stick with it, MSU's a great school. But, if you decide to just forget it, that's less competition for me!"
Soleil - how do you know MSUCOM is great? Once you interview there you might change your mind. Even if you went there for undergrad, that may not reflect on the med school. I changed my mind about two schools during interviews.

Soleil - how do you know MSUCOM is great? Once you interview there you might change your mind. Even if you went there for undergrad, that may not reflect on the med school. I changed my mind about two schools during interviews.

Aberfly-

At MSU we have an undergraduate club called PreSOMA (pre-Student Osteopathic Medical Association- SOMA is the organization for the osteopathic students) which allows undergraduates to get to know DO philosophy in general and, by default, MSUCOM in particular. We meet in Fee hall, our speakers are generally faculty/staff/students/alums of MSUCOM. This group allows undergraduates to get a very good idea of the atmosphere and the people at the school. So, for us folks who are actively involved with pre-SOMA, we don't see MSUCOM as some vague faroff place that we aspire to be affiliated with, we ARE affiliated with the school. It's a great unofficial recruitment technique for the school, though some of our membership have chosen to go elsewhere. It's certainly my first choice!

Also, while some people make up their mind about a school on their interview day, your interview day may not reflect on the true atmosphere of the school.... You could possibly get the wrong impression from a grumpy interviewer etc. For example, I remember a few people on this board who have found a staff member in the COM admissions department to have turned them off from the school. From my personal experience, I found not to take the attitude of this staff member personaly, they are like that to everyone. And though they may not be the best person to have on the front lines of recruiting process for the school, a few people may be missing out on MSUCOM simply because of this one person who you will most likely never need to deal with again once you are at the school.

Sorry the above was so long, and that I went off on a tangent, answering your very general question with a specific answer :)

Good Luck,

Soleil

Does anyone know the http: for checking your status online?

Originally posted by hudsontc
Here it is:

http://www.com.msu.edu/admapp

Let me know if it works for you...my address doesn't register yet.

Thanks and no it doesn't work yet. I only sent it on the fourth. When did you send yours?

Hey everyone,

Every once in awhile I breeze through the pre-osteo forum just to see if there are any questions I can answer. I remember how frustrating the application process can be and now that I'm a 2nd year at MSUCOM, I feel that I can answer or at least voice my opinion on a few of your posts.

It's difficult to ask your letter writers to fill out an additional form, however, this is probably a good way for the admissions committee to get everyone on the same page as far as recommendation letters go. It asks more specific questions about your interest in osteopathy and if they perceive you in the role of an osteopathic medical student. Most people have very little trouble getting their letter writers to fill out the additional form. While they are busy people, you will be surprised when many respond positively to your request. MSU is very concerned with the quality of the students they select and this is an excellent quality-control measure.

While I did not have to use an online app, if you have comments and/or questions, I don't think that the admissions office would mind an email or phone call with your suggestions. I'm not advocating the act of bombarding the office with complaints, however, if there are improvements that need to be made and you have some constructive criticism to offer, please give it! They want to make sure that the process goes smoothly, I'm sure, so feel free to ask questions.

Lastly, I just want to put a plug in for MSUCOM in general. I went to MSU as an undergrad and I have made the best choice by choosing MSUCOM for medical education. For those of you who are unaware, our school was chosen as #4 in the Nation for Primary Care out of all medical schools in the nation by US News and World Report this year. Our program is challenging, invigorating, and inspiring. While med school is more work than you can even fathom at this point, it is an amazing experience that will help you grow intellectually and personally by leaps and bounds. While you already are aware, no school is going to meet your every expectation and there will be bumps along the way no matter where you go. With this said, don't let snags such as troublesome secondaries bias you toward the school.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM and/or email me. I will be out-of-state enjoying my vacation before we start again in a few weeks but I'll try to respond ASAP. Take care and best of luck. Most importantly...have FUN!!!

Julia
:clap:

Originally posted by Herpeto
Although MSUCOM is good, how can you justify the out-of-state tuition costs. I was interested in the school until I realized that I would end up $25,000 - $45,000 greater in debt than if I were to attend another school.

MSUCOM out-of-staters have the option of deferring for one year. If they live in MI for that year and work full time they can get in-state tuition costs for their time at COM. Other out-of-staters choose to pay the increased rate or to go military and get it paid for.