MSUCOM vs ACOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krw21

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm really torn between these 2 schools and thought I'd try posting on here for some more input :) Here's my train of thought so far:

ACOM pros:
- brand new facilities
- loved the area
- great weather
- already paid the admissions deposit and put down a deposit at an apartment
- felt a little more comfortable here
- can live on campus
- I've only heard good things about it so far

MSUCOM pros:
- only an hour from home
- about $5000 less per year
- more reputable/ established
- non-mandatory attendance (i'm more of a visual learner)
- I've heard the rotations are great, not sure how they compare to acom

If it matters, my long term goal is to do missionary work so I will likely end up doing family med or peds.

Any input would greatly be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

!!!!!! MSUCom ... thats my dream school *heart eyes*. Its close to home for you, cheaper, great city. Congrats! I hope you have a great experience regardless of where you pick. How was your interview at MSU?!?!? I am SO excited for u!!

Members don't see this ad :)
!!!!!! MSUCom ... thats my dream school *heart eyes*. Its close to home for you, cheaper, great city. Congrats! I hope you have a great experience regardless of where you pick. How was your interview at MSU?!?!? I am SO excited for u!!
My interview was super interesting lol, I thought I did so terribly but then they accepted me a few days later! I guess it's hard to tell with mmi. Everyone was very sweet and I enjoyed my time there. The facilities are quite outdated though. Can you tell me why it's your dream school?? Just looking for all the input I can get

Reactions: 1 user
My interview was super interesting lol, I thought I did so terribly but then they accepted me a few days later! I guess it's hard to tell with mmi. Everyone was very sweet and I enjoyed my time there. The facilities are quite outdated though. Can you tell me why it's your dream school?? Just looking for all the input I can get

MSUCOM is better in literally every way.
- they have one of the best match lists of all DO schools riving lower-mid tier MD schools and have proven their capability to maintain the strength that list over multiple years
- their graduates are more well known
- there will be far more research opportunities, especially considering this is a state school and part of a large university
- there will likely be more volunteer opportunities - it's a bigger, more established school with more established student organizations
- their rotations are almost definitely better
- it's closer to home
- it's cheaper

I cannot think of a single even mediocre reason why you should go to ACOM over MSUCOM.

Did I also mention that it's cheaper and better in literally every way?

MSUCOM is better in literally every way.
- they have one of the best match lists of all DO schools riving lower-mid tier MD schools and have proven their capability to maintain the strength that list over multiple years
- their graduates are more well known
- there will be far more research opportunities, especially considering this is a state school and part of a large university
- there will likely be more volunteer opportunities - it's a bigger, more established school with more established student organizations
- their rotations are almost definitely better
- it's closer to home
- it's cheaper

I cannot think of a single even mediocre reason why you should go to ACOM over MSUCOM.

Did I also mention that it's cheaper and better in literally every way?
Thank you for the input! I completely agree with all of your points. I'm definitely leaning towards msucom, even though I'll have to deal with 4 more years of snow

So cool! What were your stats (you dont have to share if you dont want to I just reALLLY wanna go there I am taking the MCAT late early july so I am kinda freaking out bc im taking it later and feel like I wont have a chance bc I am a late applicant bc my MCAT will be late).

Its my dream school bc like they have so MANY cool dev bio labs/biology research lab, their publication rates are high their research is SO well known, the city is great, they match at AMAZING rates and the DOs from MSU are respected, I have a friend rotating through MS3 rn and she LOVES it so much. She says faculty are supportive and caring and wonderful. My uncle graduated MSUCom and I look upto him A LOT so theres that lil piece of bias lolz. MSU has great com outreach programs too!

For you, its close to home so if you are sad or stressed up you can visit your family. Rent is pretty cheap in MI, MSU in the fall is just heart eyes.

So cool! What were your stats (you dont have to share if you dont want to I just reALLLY wanna go there I am taking the MCAT late early july so I am kinda freaking out bc im taking it later and feel like I wont have a chance bc I am a late applicant bc my MCAT will be late).

Its my dream school bc like they have so MANY cool dev bio labs/biology research lab, their publication rates are high their research is SO well known, the city is great, they match at AMAZING rates and the DOs from MSU are respected, I have a friend rotating through MS3 rn and she LOVES it so much. She says faculty are supportive and caring and wonderful. My uncle graduated MSUCom and I look upto him A LOT so theres that lil piece of bias lolz. MSU has great com outreach programs too!

For you, its close to home so if you are sad or stressed up you can visit your family. Rent is pretty cheap in MI, MSU in the fall is just heart eyes.
That's super helpful, thank you! I'm brand new to sdn so I'm not sure what stats people normally post. Let me know if I'm missing anything. 505 mcat, 3.7 GPA, 3.7 science gpa, 400ish research hours, ridiculous amounts of clinical and non clinical volunteer hours (15-20 a week for 5 years), 1200 hours of patient care experience. Not sure if they even look at this but I also worked 30+ hours a week throughout college and am a first gen college student.
No don't worry about being just a month late! I think I decided to apply there just a few days before the deadline. I just ended up interviewing there way later than at the schools I applied to in June which isn't a huge deal. So I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck on the mcat btw :)

That's super helpful, thank you! I'm brand new to sdn so I'm not sure what stats people normally post. Let me know if I'm missing anything. 505 mcat, 3.7 GPA, 3.7 science gpa, 400ish research hours, ridiculous amounts of clinical and non clinical volunteer hours (15-20 a week for 5 years), 1200 hours of patient care experience. Not sure if they even look at this but I also worked 30+ hours a week throughout college and am a first gen college student.
No don't worry about being just a month late! I think I decided to apply there just a few days before the deadline. I just ended up interviewing there way later than at the schools I applied to in June which isn't a huge deal. So I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck on the mcat btw :)

Awesome thanks so much! ahhh ur stats are great dude! I think im worried bc it takes a month to get back the score and I am taking it in early july so I am scared to apply without seeing the score. I might hold off on applying this year and then applying next year with a known score.... I think I messed up by not taking it early enough like may. I have a 3.37 gpa, no mcat yet, a lot of ECs and 100+ hours working in patient care so it all comes down to my mcat. thanks for wishing me good luck Im gonna need it lol.

Congratulations again! :) Best of luck with everything - hope the school you choose is amazing (hping its MSU!)! I would post a new forum asking people about their MSUcom experience - theyll give u great feedback! :)

Awesome thanks so much! ahhh ur stats are great dude! I think im worried bc it takes a month to get back the score and I am taking it in early july so I am scared to apply without seeing the score. I might hold off on applying this year and then applying next year with a known score.... I think I messed up by not taking it early enough like may. I have a 3.37 gpa, no mcat yet, a lot of ECs and 100+ hours working in patient care so it all comes down to my mcat. thanks for wishing me good luck Im gonna need it lol.

Congratulations again! :) Best of luck with everything - hope the school you choose is amazing (hping its MSU!)! I would post a new forum asking people about their MSUcom experience - theyll give u great feedback! :)
Thank you!! Don't worry too much about the mcat; I took it while I had some serious food poisoning and still survived so you'll be fine! MSU definitely seems like the most logical choice. I think I'm going to go ahead and submit my deposit tonight!