This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily_pad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a first-year MSW student at a really great clinical/psychodynamically oriented program. Even though I'm still in my first year, I'm starting to look ahead for interesting paid training opportunities post-graduation. There are so many amazing post doc options for clinical psych graduates but don't seem to be as many (that I know of) opportunities for MSW graduates. I'm looking for something where I can get training, paid (obviously), good supervision, and knock out my clinical hours. I'm looking to be somewhere I can be intellectually challenged and that is ideally psychodynamically oriented or at least embraces some element of psychodynamic thinking. Is what I'm describing a unicorn program that doesn't exist? I know that Cambridge Health Alliance has a 2-year fellowship program which is pretty much exactly what I'm describing but curious if there are other opportunities out there that I haven't heard of . I would be open to doing hospital, PHP, or IOP, or any kind of clinic/institution work. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There’s nothing formally like this because after your masters, your “fellowship” is also just called “your job”. While you’re under supervision, you’ll be working a full time job with varied levels of training. Unfortunately, we masters level therapists do not have standardized residencies or postgrad programs, so organizations aren’t really incentivized to create them when they could just….hire you the normal way. Are you in Boston area? Just get yourself a job at McLean after graduation and you will learn a ton.

Reactions: 1 users
The above is really good advice and I say this as somebody who enjoyed their VA clinical psych postdoc. I got to have some cool and varied rotations but also lost out on about $20-25k in salary compared to a staff position for that year.

Get a job in an area of interest and learn along the way. Whether you did a 2 year deg, Phd, fellowship or not, you're not gonna be perfectly prepared for your first job (or 3).

Members don't see this ad :)
The NASW often will have posts about opportunities. Further, certain agencies in the state often will offer something similar to a fellowship even if that's not what it's called. You should call your state DHS offices to discuss what options may be available.

In regards to your Unicorn scenario.... as a clinician you should consider changing your strong desire to focus heavily on one modality/orientation. The reality is you will always be training new skills and learning. It's a diservice the those that seek treatment if you try to put a square block in a round hole. It can cause more harm than good. You should always stay on top of the research, be able to understand what quality research looks like, and be willing to use different tools based off the needs of the patient. I can't emphasize this enough.

The NASW often will have posts about opportunities. Further, certain agencies in the state often will offer something similar to a fellowship even if that's not what it's called. You should call your state DHS offices to discuss what options may be available.

In regards to your Unicorn scenario.... as a clinician you should consider changing your strong desire to focus heavily on one modality/orientation. The reality is you will always be training new skills and learning. It's a diservice the those that seek treatment if you try to put a square block in a round hole. It can cause more harm than good. You should always stay on top of the research, be able to understand what quality research looks like, and be willing to use different tools based off the needs of the patient. I can't emphasize this enough.

Seconded. All of it. It's less true now than it was ten years ago that there are no post-master's fellowships. OP, one option for you might be the following:

Thanks so much! And totally agree re modalities. I'm definitely intellectually drawn to working psychodynamically but also very much wanting to learn behavioral models too.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I also found that Yale School of Medicine offers a postgrad fellowship for social workers which seems promising.