Mt. Sinai adcom meetings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Mt. Sinai adcom meets?

Members don't see this ad.

They told us the committee that convenes to go over the interviews meets on Tuesdays, and did not say when the smaller committee that makes admissions decisions meets.

Committee for interviews is tuesdays as mentioned. Then the admissions decisions (which seemed to be just the Dean and another) meets monthly. I was there in mid-Jan and they said we just missed the last cycle. So prob soonish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called for a status update and they said "No decision has been made on your application yet, but you should be hearing something shortly". I don't know if that's code for: you've been rejected and we don't want to tell you, or if the adcom hasn't met yet. I also interviewed in January right after the last meeting.

hey
just called for a status update too
they said i am under review-- she also said "you do know the review process continues right through march" so maybe that's a good sign for us not having interview invites yet. been complete since 9/1

People last received acceptances emails from MSSM on Tuesday, January 23rd. So will the next round of interviewees (including myself) hear back on Feb 20th or Feb 27th?

Acceptances will be emailed on Feb 22 for the 2/21 ADCOM meeting. I know this becuase Scott Barnett told me and he is dean of admissions. Most others will be waitlisted, as space is limited in the class as of now. However, two years ago 100 people were offered spots off the waitlist, so there is lots of movement.

Does this mean most of us going into the Feb. meeting are going to be waitlisted? Or most people that are going into the March meeting are going to be waitlisted? Sorry if this sounds anal...

Acceptances will be emailed on Feb 22 for the 2/21 ADCOM meeting. I know this becuase Scott Barnett told me and he is dean of admissions. Most others will be waitlisted, as space is limited in the class as of now. However, two years ago 100 people were offered spots off the waitlist, so there is lots of movement.

Same question--did he tell you most in this round will be waitlisted or the following round...?

It was kind of ambiguous becasue on one hand he said that twice as many people were holding spots as there were positions available in the class, so many people may be waitlisted, but he also said that they save spots in the class for every meeting. I think most schools admit about 2.5X as many people as they have spots in the class for. So that would mean that there are a good 70 spots left. But hey, who knows I'd give anything to know what goes on behind closed doors....

Thanks for the clarification aardvark. Guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed extra tight. And here's wishing that people with multiple acceptances start making a decision soon. You're taking my spot! :hungover:

I wish they were meeting today, but I am pretty sure they are not based on what I was told when I called this morning. I asked if I would possibly hear back this week and the woman said "they are not making decisions this week because of the shortened week." I have no idea why a Monday holiday affects a Tues meeting schedule, but this is what she said.

Members don't see this ad :)
booooo. so we have to wait till next week? booooo

I wish they were meeting today, but I am pretty sure they are not based on what I was told when I called this morning. I asked if I would possibly hear back this week and the woman said "they are not making decisions this week because of the shortened week." I have no idea why a Monday holiday affects a Tues meeting schedule, but this is what she said.

WTF?!? Are you sure that the meeting wasn't just moved to Wed? They definitely told me on my interview day that the committee would meet this Wednesday and emails would go out to acceptees by Thurs. I can't handle the suspense!

WTF?!? Are you sure that the meeting wasn't just moved to Wed? They definitely told me on my interview day that the committee would meet this Wednesday and emails would go out to acceptees by Thurs. I can't handle the suspense!

what exactly did they tell you aardvark? and when did you interview? b/c I was told that on the phone this morning when I asked if there would be decisions "this week"...I never said tues, and the woman def said "they will not be making decisions this week because of the shortened week" word for word...maybe she was lying to me??

what exactly did they tell you aardvark? and when did you interview? b/c I was told that on the phone this morning when I asked if there would be decisions "this week"...I never said tues, and the woman def said "they will not be making decisions this week because of the shortened week" word for word...maybe she was lying to me??

I interviewed first week of Feb. They basically said verbatim that emails would go out to those accepted by the 22nd or so. Maybe they forgot that there was a holiday this week when they told me that they would meet Feb 21, and therefore gave me eroneous information. Who knows....ill be checking my inbox compulsively nonetheless.

So...this week? next week? any concensus on when we will hear decisions regarding the last month of interviews?

Hmm is Ash Wednesday a very important holiday? Enough for a meeting to be postponed? I guess we'll know when people start posting accepteances :oops:

Guess we will find out tomorrow. Please post if you hear anything :)

so, i guess nobody heard today...right?

Checked last year's Sinai threads; last year on President's Day week, they issued invites on Friday.

Didn't find anything specific about acceptances, though, sorry.

please post if u hear back that you were accepted to mt sinai this week! (i would love to know when i should give up hope..) also, do you know when the cutoff is for this cycle vs the next? i interviewed on 2/12... any of u interview around then? thanks!

Well it's pretty close to 5:00 on the East coast. Looks like we'll have to wait another week :(

did u just get in to sinai?

I wish. I had to reschedule an interview when that big storm hit the east coast, so I was trying to figure out how far it would push my application back (one adcomm meeting or two). I put the "class of 2011" thing on my sig after I got my first acceptance, but it doesn't refer to Mt. Sinai.

So, I guess the woman who answered the phone told me the truth when she said they wouldn't be making decisions this week....this means it HAS to be next week, because that will 5 weeks from the last one....so we should hear next Weds!

And also to the person who posted asking if 2/12 was part of this cycle or not: I interviewed on 1/11 and I didn't make it into the last cycle...so that means there's a chance you might have to wait until the march round...sorry!

Just got back from my interview and the asst. director said they had their big meeting yesterday. Means I'm going to be waiting a while to be notified. I don't know exactly what it means for those who were considered at this meeting. It sounded like most people get waitlisted instead of accepted and the best bet is to make yourself known to them to get in off the waitlist.

Just got back from my interview and the asst. director said they had their big meeting yesterday. Means I'm going to be waiting a while to be notified. I don't know exactly what it means for those who were considered at this meeting. It sounded like most people get waitlisted instead of accepted and the best bet is to make yourself known to them to get in off the waitlist.

Thanks for the update.... interesting. I wonder how far they got through the pile (I interviewed less than 2 weeks ago).

Just got back from my interview and the asst. director said they had their big meeting yesterday.

Guess it looks like we'll have to wait until next week to hear any news :(

Thanks though for the update!

Hmm, if that's true, I wonder why didn't send out notifications today. Damn I hope I hear soon.

how are waitlist candidates notified? via email or snail mail? if no one heard last week, does that mean no one was accepted?

I think they email waitlists and acceptances and snail mail rejections.

unless they changed it from last year, they only email acceptances. waitlists and rejections are snail mailed.

I don't think it's possible that every single person on this list who's waiting to hear was waitlisted or rejected....it's more likely that they didn't send out decisions this week.

well, I just got back from my interview there and they said.... well I forgot what they said. long interview day. Well, for us that were there, it would take about 4-5 weeks to receive a decision. Don't know about you all who interviewed earlier.

The adcom met last week. When I called for a status update I was told no decision had been made but I would hear something shortly...anyone else talk to someone today?

The adcom meets every week for Sinai - the question is when they hold their selection meeting. It's been 6 weeks for me now, so I'm getting a bit anxious...

Interviewed 1/23; called and asked for an update and they said i should be hearing shortly...

Hey LainyRae, Did they say if a decision was made or not?

The adcom met last week. When I called for a status update I was told no decision had been made but I would hear something shortly...anyone else talk to someone today?

The person I called told me no decision has been made yet but that they met last Thursday and I'll probably hear this week.

I just got an acceptance email from Mount Sinai! I interviewed on 2/5.