Mt. Sinai interview invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drako

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is rather late in the season, but I received an interview invitation from Mt. Sinai recently. Since I am accepted at Pittsburgh, I am unsure whether or not I should attend the Mt. Sinai interview. I understand that Mt. Sinai is a very good school and so is Pittsburgh. On my personal list of medical schools I desire, Pittsburgh is ranked higher than Mt. Sinai. Therefore, I am leaning toward a declination of the inteview invitation at this point. However, I am reluctant to make a final decision because I am not sure if it is wise. Attending the interview might change my narrow view (base on research and not on up-close-and-personal scrutiny) of Mt. Sinai. Consequently, I am here to draw upon the wisdom of my fellow SDNers. You guys, help me out! Thanks a lot! :wink:

Members don't see this ad.

There are many threads about this topic, and I believe there was even one on MSSM specifically.

In this particular case, I would go. It seems that some people were very impressed from their visit, actually changing their minds over better-ranked schools. I hear students are very happy there. If you can afford going, give it a chance.

When did you get your invite? I think a lot of people on this board would be curious, because I thought they stopped inviting recently.

go to sinai. even if pitt is ranked higher in u.s. news, sinai is still a much better school.
1) the quality of the students that sinai attracts is higher than pitt (as measured by mcats and gpa--for whatever that is worth).
2) new york is the greatest city in the world, while pittsburgh is...well, pittsburgh.
3) sinai has more hospital beds and faculy per student than almost any mdical school in the world, which means lots more hands on experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about these two schools. I have now been accepted to both and I am also in the same position.

Drako: I think you should go to Sinai. The program is very different to Pitt's. Other differences include location (impacts diversity of patient population),cost of living, curriculum (PBL at Pitt), tution (cheaper at Sinai), etc. Go you really nver know.

Not to take over your thread..but if anyone else has ideas about Pitt versus Sinai. Please feel free to PM me. I am definitely going to the re-visit weekends but I am compiling info about the two schools. There may be something I missed while at interviews that you guys picked up on.

Good luck Drako!

Hi Drako, when did you get the invite?

I recieved the invitation yesterday, via email.

that is just messed up... i called the admin office yesterday and they said they were done sending out invites! so what is the deal with them right now? should i continue to check my email every 5 minutes?

yes, drako, i think you should go to the interview as well... you never know until you actually see the school, meet the students, walk around the area... and talk to those amazing admin ppl (sarcasm on that last one)... anyway, congrats and good luck!