Multiple acceptances=lot of money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denilson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard people "hold" places at various schools depending on the time frame of acceptances. Does this mean that those people paid the acceptance deposits to those schools?...Doesn't that cost a lot of money since the deposits are non-refundable adn over at lest $500 smackers?... :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

man, that's a lot of $$$$ depending how fortunate you are with the acceptances...I'm applying to COMP (1st choice tie with AZCOM), NYCOM, CCOM, TUCOM...I know TUCOM and COMP have over $1000 deposit fees and NYCOM have $500, how about AZCOM and CCOM?
Man, better get my savings out of my CD account and go for a more aggressive investing options :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i cashed in some mutual fund money for lecom's hefty $1500 fee.

Does anyone know how long you can hold the seat at the Osteopathic school once you pay them the deposit? I'm planning to retake the MCAT and decide if I'm gonna goto an Osteopathic school or reapply to Allopathic and Osteopathic school if my MCAT is good. But to get the result of MCAT score, i have to wait til june of 2002, if i take the test in April of 2002. Is it possible to hold the spot that late once you pay the deposit? Thank you for your help.

Man Mr. MD or DO, all I can say is that you are holding a spot that somebody who truly believes in osteopathic medicine could be sitting in. You are blocking them out because you obviously fooled in adcom into believing that you cared about osteopathic medicine when it is only a backup for you. You don't want to be there, so retake your mcat and open the spot for a student who does. And no, I did not apply this year, but I thought I would give my 2 cents.

If this is not the case with you than I apologize, but you also do not need to retake the mcat or hold your spot since you already are accepted to D.O. school.

So, I say, make up your mind, but do not block somebody elses chances. Or, when you interviewed, you should have said"I am not sure if I want to be a D.O." I believe in honesty.

I don't have a spot in Osteopathic school yet, because I'm applying this year. I was just wondering if it's feasible to get mt new MCAT score if i retake it before I'll have to mis-inform them. I just want to either drop and reapply or just stick with it according to my MCAT score. Options are there to be taken,and don't want to limit myself to just one. I believe that either way, being a doctor is the same regardless of the superficial principles people overemphasize. I believe in personal merit and quality not a certain association of group or institution. It's the matter of timing and due to my lack of patience, I just need to know if i can work it around like that. No intention of manipulation of the system, just looking out for my self-interest, like everyone else.

mr. md or do,
it's not illegal to hold your seat till the last day. choosing the right school is a very important decision, imagine you will spend at least next 4 years in that particular institution and environment. you really need to take your time to compare and decide the one that suits you the best.

i believe each school has different deadline. but in most of DO schools, the earlier you are being informed about your acceptance, the earlier you have to put in that deposit to secure that seat. typically, some schools would give you approximately two weeks to consider before a deposit is requested and then there's a second deposit due about few months before schools start. so i would say regardless the different deadline for different schools, these are the money you can't avoid to spend.

Sorry, it sounded like you were saying that you had a seat and you wanted to hold it until you could reapply m.d. and then you would drop it if an md school accepted you.