Multiple Deposits? If so, Who's got the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WSDriller

WSDriller
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Closing in on Jan 15th, the day most schools require a deposit, I was wandering how many people are undecided and will be sending in a $1000 plus deposit into more than one school? As for me, I'm undecided and not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with the previous post. You busted ass, you do what you gotta do. If you go around life worrying about others feelings all the time, you will never make it as a successful dentist. Put yourself first in a few instances, like your future career and schooling location.

It is a damn hard decision. I know, I changed my mind fifty times. ;)

The only thing I fear for you on is the deadline. There are a ton of schools that only accept them (checks or money order) via USPS to a PO box, that means to overnighting and no next day air that requires a signature. So if you haven't sent it yet, you may be screwed.

best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Way to go, making mountains out of mole hills. I will never be your dentist, you don't know who I am. Don't get your panties in a bunch. And by the way, I said "a few instances"
Typical SDNer ready for an e-fight. Go bash someone else who gives a damn.

Why rush to a decision you aren't ready to make? This is definitely one of those instances to put yourself first, rather than think of all the poor SDNers who didn't get in for one reason or another.

Calling him an idiot is just as judgemental and self serving as anything you could do.

Oh and some schools need it by 4pm Monday, regardless of when the post mark says. (I know it is a holiday but that is what three of my six letters have said.) If they don't have it, you don't have a seat.

Well this is working out just as I planned. Thanks everyone.

wha wha wha wha wha

Calling people idiots for taking the time to make the right decision isn't right.

I have been in that spot and it is a tough place to be. The last thing I was worried about was some hooch, who I don't even know or care about, losing 6 months of rent because she didn't get in the first time around.

Note to next year's applicants- have the balls to put your destiny in your own hands and not someone else's. Otherwise it will cost you 6 months of rent, and you will end up crying on SDN becuase of "some guy" who robbed you of your spot.

Get over it, man. I am no longer bothering with you and your lame arguments.

I'm ending this.....all posts erased...:mad:

...The last thing I was worried about was some hooch, who I don't even know or care about, losing 6 months of rent because she didn't get in the first time around. ...have the balls to put your destiny in your own hands and not someone else's. Otherwise it will cost you 6 months of rent, and you will end up crying on SDN becuase of "some guy" who robbed you of your spot.

Anyone else think this guy is a complete dildo? cant wait to go to school with him..

Anyone else think this guy is a complete dildo? cant wait to go to school with him..

dsmack is one of the better posters of this cycle. I don't know, maybe I'm the only one who understands his situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I hear AADSAS is going to have a new system in place to prevent multiple deposits for the 2007 cycle. End of problem.

It won't end the problem, but it will put a deadline on it. You will have until May 1st to hold multiple spots, after which the schools may rescind their offer after notifying you.

Holy bar graph! Did anyone else find that upward trend significant?

I disagree with the previous post. You busted ass, you do what you gotta do. If you go around life worrying about others feelings all the time, you will never make it as a successful dentist. Put yourself first in a few instances, like your future career and schooling location.

It is a damn hard decision. I know, I changed my mind fifty times. ;)

The only thing I fear for you on is the deadline. There are a ton of schools that only accept them (checks or money order) via USPS to a PO box, that means to overnighting and no next day air that requires a signature. So if you haven't sent it yet, you may be screwed.

best of luck

I like your thinking...go to Case with us:D

If you need more time to make a decision, take it. Don't let people on SDN call you names for your personal decision. It is up to you.

In defense of D, if he's the dildo, why did the basher go delete all his posts? He knew he was taking all D's words out of context. Your career is huge, the schools you choose can effect your matriculation into a specialty, and residencies. I would definitely take the time you need. And yes, this is one of those times where it is okay to put yourself before others. Because by putting this first, you are putting your family first. I would choose my family, or future family, anyday over the poor saps who are waiting to hear anything at all.

Bottom line is that it isn't illegal, it is courteous if you can do it. If you can't, well, nobody will make you do it before you are ready (as long as it is before may 1st).

Oh, and name calling is real mature. :thumbup:

Bottom line is that it isn't illegal..

While it isn't illegal, schools consider it to be very unprofessional. They understand that you have to put a deposit down and when your #1 comes knocking you are going to drop the school who has your deposit.. and that is your right..

School are unhappy with the system as it is, and im sure would prefer a binding commitment.. i think the current system is fair to students, but when students put 2 deposits down because they spent too much of the winter break goofing off it becomes unfair to the schools and to all the students waiting..

but as you guys have already stated, its not illegal. whats going to change in the next few months? are you going to revisit some schools? i guess that would be a good excuse to put 2 deposits. if you're not then you're probably getting further and further away from making the right decision as you memory of each school fades more and more..

While it isn't illegal, schools consider it to be very unprofessional. School are unhappy with the system as it is, and im sure would prefer a binding commitment..

What's unprofessional is the way dental schools string students along, wasting their time and money. Is it really necessary for students to send in a check for the secondary fee only to receive a rejection letter 3 days later? If the schools don't like students putting down multiple deposits, too bad. As long as acceptances are staggered, like 4thQuarter said, you may give a deposit to one school only to renege it when your top choice gives you an offer in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Simple economics would prevent a lot of the multiple deposits. Make each deposit $1000 or more and the numbers will certainly go down.

Dang, looks like I missed a fun read since one side erased all their posts. I think every persons situation is different. If someone wants to put money down everywhere for the luxury of time, more power to 'em. Courtesy is sometimes sacrificed for necessity. Sucks to be you if you are the one waiting for the spot though. But what ya gonna do, whine on SDN I guess.

I put down forteen G's for all of the schools I was accepted to
just because I think it is cool and because I worked hard
and because I don't care about money and because I'm an indecisive
bullshter...::laugh: I'm jusk kidding, I only applies to one school

i sent out $3,000 to BU a few days ago. I think im going to cancel it in a week for Tufts....

what a waste.

While it isn't illegal, schools consider it to be very unprofessional. They understand that you have to put a deposit down and when your #1 comes knocking you are going to drop the school who has your deposit.. and that is your right..

School are unhappy with the system as it is, and im sure would prefer a binding commitment.. i think the current system is fair to students, but when students put 2 deposits down because they spent too much of the winter break goofing off it becomes unfair to the schools and to all the students waiting..
but as you guys have already stated, its not illegal. whats going to change in the next few months? are you going to revisit some schools? i guess that would be a good excuse to put 2 deposits. if you're not then you're probably getting further and further away from making the right decision as you memory of each school fades more and more..

I will try to post a counter to this post, and still try to not personally bash you. I hate it when SDN comes down to people calling people names. It isn't the way a professional would do it. So 4th Qtr, I appreciate the mellow counter arguments. You seem like a good person.

I do think it is not a good argument to say that someone was just BSing and wasted the december break when they should have had decisions made. That assumes that each person is irresponsible. I don't think that is the case. There are many circumstances that come up, not to mention the fact that some questions can't be answered promptly due to the fact that faculty and staff are taking the holidays off. In my situation, I needed to get a specific faculty members opinion on a topic that I respected his honest opinion on. I had to wait until January 8th to hear from this individual. Had it been any longer, I would have sent multiple deposits. So to use a blanket statement that all multi-depositors are just wasting money because they slacked off is not a great thing to do, in my opinion.

As far as the thought that "the schools deserve it, because they string us out also". I feel neutral on this one. I just feel like sometimes it is part of the game we play when we apply. It doesn't mean we need to do it to get them back, but again, if you need time, take it.

Lastly, I don't care much about the whiners who didn't get accepted b!tchin' about others holding spots. The last thing you should do is rush into a decision you aren't ready to make because of someone on SDN.

Anyway, I have no personal beef w/ you 4th Qtr. I just wanted to express that opinion. Thanks. :)

I will try to post a counter to this post, and still try to not personally bash you. I hate it when SDN comes down to people calling people names. It isn't the way a professional would do it. So 4th Qtr, I appreciate the mellow counter arguments. You seem like a good person.

I do think it is not a good argument to say that someone was just BSing and wasted the december break when they should have had decisions made. That assumes that each person is irresponsible. I don't think that is the case. There are many circumstances that come up, not to mention the fact that some questions can't be answered promptly due to the fact that faculty and staff are taking the holidays off. In my situation, I needed to get a specific faculty members opinion on a topic that I respected his honest opinion on. I had to wait until January 8th to hear from this individual. Had it been any longer, I would have sent multiple deposits. So to use a blanket statement that all multi-depositors are just wasting money because they slacked off is not a great thing to do, in my opinion.

As far as the thought that "the schools deserve it, because they string us out also". I feel neutral on this one. I just feel like sometimes it is part of the game we play when we apply. It doesn't mean we need to do it to get them back, but again, if you need time, take it.

Lastly, I don't care much about the whiners who didn't get accepted b!tchin' about others holding spots. The last thing you should do is rush into a decision you aren't ready to make because of someone on SDN.

Anyway, I have no personal beef w/ you 4th Qtr. I just wanted to express that opinion. Thanks. :)

Another issue is that a lot of people aren't in school anymore and don't have a winter break to spend visiting schools

wha wha wha wha wha

Calling people idiots for taking the time to make the right decision isn't right.

I have been in that spot and it is a tough place to be. The last thing I was worried about was some hooch, who I don't even know or care about, losing 6 months of rent because she didn't get in the first time around.

Note to next year's applicants- have the balls to put your destiny in your own hands and not someone else's. Otherwise it will cost you 6 months of rent, and you will end up crying on SDN becuase of "some guy" who robbed you of your spot.

Get over it, man. I am no longer bothering with you and your lame arguments.

High five for assuming that said person is a woman.

P.S. You earned your acceptance at all those schools and if you want to slap down a 500 dollar donation to several schools to buy yourself some extra time to make one of the most important decisions of your life, more power to you. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the schools will eventually fill those slots as dsmack probably won't be able to attend multiple schools (no offense...in fact, please prove me wrong)...so it's not like he's stealing a seat or even keeping someone else out of school. Eventually it will all work itself out...so don't worry. Be happy.

DDSmack,

Would you rather pay a whole bunch of schools $500 deposits, just so you can brag on SDN about how you got sooooooooooo many acceptances? Are you hiding behind it? Cause if so, that is just sad.

Puh-lease don't go to the same dental school as me ddssmack!

P.S. You earned your acceptance at all those schools and if you want to slap down a 500 dollar donation to several schools to buy yourself some extra time to make one of the most important decisions of your life, more power to you. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the schools will eventually fill those slots as dsmack probably won't be able to attend multiple schools (no offense...in fact, please prove me wrong)...so it's not like he's stealing a seat or even keeping someone else out of school. Eventually it will all work itself out...so don't worry. Be happy.

I'm not a big fan of the whole simultaneous deposit thing, but what worries me more is when people put down that extra money and then feel like they had better get their moneys worth by prolonging the decision for as long as possible. I guess that's the problem with paying for something, we feel like we own it.

Same here.. :D

Still though im curious to everyone's opinion on this part of my last post

whats going to change in the next few months? are you going to revisit some schools? i guess that would be a good excuse to put 2 deposits. if you're not then you're probably getting further and further away from making the right decision as you memory of each school fades more and more..

I hope we all make the right decision and end up at schools that fit each one of us well.. I know that of all the schools i have interviewed at , there are a couple that i think id be miserable at and another 2 or 3 where i think i can thrive and enjoy the next few years.. Nothing anyone on SDN tells me has really changed my opinion on the different school ive visited and people not in the process (even dentist) dont have an applicable opinion since they are so removed from the whole thing..

Okay guys and dolls, I only put down one deposit, so I am not on here braggin. So keep your desperate panties on, SDNers w/o love. I am making the point that the original troll was calling people idiots for doing just that, making multiple deposits. I strongy disagree, that is all. He ran away and cleared his posts. What else is there to discuss?

4th Quarter- The only thing I am sticking with is the fact that you need to make some decisions with your best interest in mind. Otherwise, you will find that you will be unhappy in the end. Whether you want to be a dentist or a dogcatcher. You are right though, SDN should probably more for entertainment than career counseling.

That was a weak 4th post flosinattor, or whoever you are doubling for.

Let's see how many predents take my words out of context, call me a dildo and refuse to go to my dental school. :laugh:

DDSmack,

Would you rather pay a whole bunch of schools $500 deposits, just so you can brag on SDN about how you got sooooooooooo many acceptances? Are you hiding behind it? Cause if so, that is just sad.

Interesting ...

Wouldn't he still be able to brag about getting the acceptances even if he didn't put down a deposit for each school? An acceptance is still an acceptance, regardless of whether you commit to the school ...

Okay guys and ... panties. I am ... the original troll. I ... ran away. What else is there to discuss?

Let's see how many predents take my words out of context, call me a dildo and refuse to go to my dental school. :laugh:

You're a dildo! I hate you and I will never be seen at the same school as you!!!

You're a dildo! I hate you and I will never be seen at the same school as you!!!

I agree, and I hope none of you are ever my dentist! In fact the only reason I am going to dental school is so I can do all my own work and be sure that no one else is my dentist. Oh, and I don't want you to be my dogcatcher either. Now you're really feeling the sting aren't you.:smuggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.