1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Multiple MCAT Scores, Reapp, Where to Apply?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by stargazerlily1990, Apr 21, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. stargazerlily1990

stargazerlily1990

Apr 21, 2016
    MDApps:
    Hi, Everyone!

Was hoping to get some advice for my sort of odd situation. I have taken the MCAT multiple times (I know...not ideal at all and should've planned much better, but trying to move forward).

Applied to med school (secondaries were complete a little late-end of Aug/mid sept), applied to 15 schools, 2 IIs, 2 WLs.

Added clinical and non-clinical volunteering, retook MCAT (took time off to study and figured out how to be more efficient and less anxious while test taking). I have a good GPA (Science 3.9, AO: 3.9). First generation college student+some fairly good ECs. Didn't have any clinical volunteering the first time I applied, which I realized after coming to this forum was a big big mistake.

MCAT 2016: 99%

Applying in the next cycle. I'm a MN resident (don't have a good app for Duluth as my app is full of research and living in urban areas).

Schools I'll definitely apply to:

U of MN-TC
    Netter
    Hofstra
    Creighton
    Wake Forest
    Rosalind Franklin
    Loyola
    Saint Louis

Does anyone have any advice about where to apply? I'm worried about the spread of my scores in terms of choosing which schools to apply. I've looked at MSAR, but it's still a bit hard to choose schools with my MCAT scores. Avg puts me around 30 for the MCAT, so should I apply as a 30 MCAT scorer?

I know you won't be excited about my multiple scores, but any of the experts have any advice, please? @Goro @gyngyn @GrapesofRath @LizzyM

Thank you so much in advance for the advice!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    BurntFlower likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GrapesofRath

GrapesofRath 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2015
    A reapplicant with 4 MCAT scores will raise some questions and can be perceived as a "riskier" candidate. The fact that the 4th score was that high only complicates things and narrows the range of schools that can be of highest yield. In fact, a reapp with a score that high might only add to the " being riskier" narrative.

Your best bet really is your state school. Your saving grace is that massive MCAT score on your fourth attempt. If the Twin Cities were already interested enough to give you HPWL and now youve added clinical exp you were lacking and a 4th MCAT with a 10 pt equivalent improvement, it's hard to see them not being interested again despite the reapp status.

If you ask 10 different ADCOMs on how your scores will be interpreted I bet youll get 10 different answers. It's never going to be possible to get anything close to a consenus answer on how this MCAT history will be gauged. Everything about this suggests there's going to be all kinds of variance in evaluation of this from school to school. Your cumulative avg is 30 but that's not really going to work as a guide here. These schools like Quinnipac, Creighton etc you have on there can still see that 521 which is way above their 90th percentile. You need to target schools most likely to II you. I dont think "aiming too low" is going to get that done.

Best bet is get MSAR and identify some higher end OOS schools you arent a reapp at. The Rochester-CWRU-Hofstra-Ohio State type tier is a good place to start. Apply to a handful of higher end schools and see if you can find someone to bite on the research and 521 while putting less weight in particular on those 2011 scores. Beyond saying your state school is your best bet, it's very difficult to say who is most likely to bite.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

A 521 is nothing to sneeze at. I suggest:

U MN
    U VM
    U Toledo
    Miami
    St. Louis
    Albany
    Albert Einstein
    Rochester
    Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
    Rosy Franklin
    NYMC
    EVMS
    Wake Forest
    Jefferson
    Temple
    Drexel
    Creighton
    Tulane
    USC/Keck
    Dartmouth
    MCW
    Loyola
    USF Morsani
    Emory OR BU
    Mayo
    Duke OR JHU
    Case
    JHU
    Pitt OR Northwestern
    NYU OR Sinai
    Vanderbilt OR Baylor
    Columbia
    Hofstra.
    Oakland-B
    CCOM
    MUCOM
    I can't recommend CNU.

5. stargazerlily1990

stargazerlily1990

Apr 21, 2016
    MDApps:
    Thank you @GrapesofRath! Your advice is greatly valued. I'm definitely hoping to get some love from my state school and would be more than happy to attend, so I'll start there and apply broadly, I suppose! I understand that this situation isn't super predictable.

And @Goro thank you so much for the list! I really appreciate it! It looks like a great starting point for me, as I'm hoping to apply to about 20/25 schools so will have to pick and choose from your list.

Thank you! I'll let you know how things turn out!

6. jeep1010

jeep1010

Aug 17, 2015
    @stargazerlily1990 what did you do differently your 4th time? what do you think allowed you to make that jump in MCAT score?

7. stargazerlily1990

stargazerlily1990

Apr 21, 2016
    MDApps:
    I will PM you! :) Have spoken with a couple of others already so will just copy it to you.

8. _Leaftt

_Leaftt

Dec 12, 2016

I would really appreciate it if you could PM how you improved your MCAT score as well !

MedicalGuru likes this.
  9. Shotapp

Shotapp 2+ Year Member

Jan 1, 2015
    GA
    @stargazerlily1990

Please, could you PM me a copy as well? Thank you and best of luck in your app cycle.

10. Dr.FelA

Dr.FelA

Nov 2, 2016
    Could you PM me a copy too i am currently studying for a retake and would like any advice! thanks

11. acquaintance

acquaintance 2+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Do you mind PM me with the copy as well? I will greatly appreciate it :)

12. kpba225

kpba225 kendal23

May 30, 2016
    Hey do you mind PMing me as well! I would like to know what you changed about your MCAT studying method. Thanks

13. MedicalGuru

MedicalGuru

May 18, 2016
    Could you also PM me?

14. thetwinkle

thetwinkle 2+ Year Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Could you please PM me also if possible? Thanks!

15. FutureDoc3094

FutureDoc3094 2+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Could you PM me as well? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much! :)

16. yongli

yongli

Dec 16, 2015
    can you PM me too? Thanks.

17. ljkeeper

ljkeeper

Apr 23, 2017
    lawls could you also PM me too? Much appreciated

18. Senescence kid

Senescence kid

Mar 19, 2016
    Hi can you PM me your strategy as well

19. PygmyPuff

PygmyPuff

Feb 4, 2017
    Can you update us? Did you get in this past cycle?

20. mariposas905

mariposas905

Mar 14, 2017
    Yeah can you please update? I looked at your MDapps but I honestly didn't think it was possible to get into all those top schools that you said you got into as an ORM with 4MCAT scores. Having a tough time believing it a bit :confused: but if it's true, than congrats!