Multiple MCAT Scores, Reapp, Where to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stargazerlily1990

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone!

Was hoping to get some advice for my sort of odd situation. I have taken the MCAT multiple times (I know...not ideal at all and should've planned much better, but trying to move forward).

Applied to med school (secondaries were complete a little late-end of Aug/mid sept), applied to 15 schools, 2 IIs, 2 WLs.

Added clinical and non-clinical volunteering, retook MCAT (took time off to study and figured out how to be more efficient and less anxious while test taking). I have a good GPA (Science 3.9, AO: 3.9). First generation college student+some fairly good ECs. Didn't have any clinical volunteering the first time I applied, which I realized after coming to this forum was a big big mistake.

MCAT 2016: 99%

Applying in the next cycle. I'm a MN resident (don't have a good app for Duluth as my app is full of research and living in urban areas).

Schools I'll definitely apply to:

U of MN-TC
Netter
Hofstra
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Saint Louis

Does anyone have any advice about where to apply? I'm worried about the spread of my scores in terms of choosing which schools to apply. I've looked at MSAR, but it's still a bit hard to choose schools with my MCAT scores. Avg puts me around 30 for the MCAT, so should I apply as a 30 MCAT scorer?

I know you won't be excited about my multiple scores, but any of the experts have any advice, please? @Goro @gyngyn @GrapesofRath @LizzyM

Thank you so much in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A reapplicant with 4 MCAT scores will raise some questions and can be perceived as a "riskier" candidate. The fact that the 4th score was that high only complicates things and narrows the range of schools that can be of highest yield. In fact, a reapp with a score that high might only add to the " being riskier" narrative.

Your best bet really is your state school. Your saving grace is that massive MCAT score on your fourth attempt. If the Twin Cities were already interested enough to give you HPWL and now youve added clinical exp you were lacking and a 4th MCAT with a 10 pt equivalent improvement, it's hard to see them not being interested again despite the reapp status.

If you ask 10 different ADCOMs on how your scores will be interpreted I bet youll get 10 different answers. It's never going to be possible to get anything close to a consenus answer on how this MCAT history will be gauged. Everything about this suggests there's going to be all kinds of variance in evaluation of this from school to school. Your cumulative avg is 30 but that's not really going to work as a guide here. These schools like Quinnipac, Creighton etc you have on there can still see that 521 which is way above their 90th percentile. You need to target schools most likely to II you. I dont think "aiming too low" is going to get that done.

Best bet is get MSAR and identify some higher end OOS schools you arent a reapp at. The Rochester-CWRU-Hofstra-Ohio State type tier is a good place to start. Apply to a handful of higher end schools and see if you can find someone to bite on the research and 521 while putting less weight in particular on those 2011 scores. Beyond saying your state school is your best bet, it's very difficult to say who is most likely to bite.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A 521 is nothing to sneeze at. I suggest:

U MN
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
MCW
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory OR BU
Mayo
Duke OR JHU
Case
JHU
Pitt OR Northwestern
NYU OR Sinai
Vanderbilt OR Baylor
Columbia
Hofstra.
Oakland-B
CCOM
MUCOM
I can't recommend CNU.

Hi, Everyone!

Was hoping to get some advice for my sort of odd situation. I have taken the MCAT 4 times (I know...not ideal at all and should've planned much better, but trying to move forward). Here are my results:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @GrapesofRath! Your advice is greatly valued. I'm definitely hoping to get some love from my state school and would be more than happy to attend, so I'll start there and apply broadly, I suppose! I understand that this situation isn't super predictable.

And @Goro thank you so much for the list! I really appreciate it! It looks like a great starting point for me, as I'm hoping to apply to about 20/25 schools so will have to pick and choose from your list.

Thank you! I'll let you know how things turn out!

Could you PM me a copy too i am currently studying for a retake and would like any advice! thanks

I will PM you! :) Have spoken with a couple of others already so will just copy it to you.
Hey do you mind PMing me as well! I would like to know what you changed about your MCAT studying method. Thanks

Could you PM me as well? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much! :)

lawls could you also PM me too? Much appreciated

Hi, Everyone!

Was hoping to get some advice for my sort of odd situation. I have taken the MCAT multiple times (I know...not ideal at all and should've planned much better, but trying to move forward).

Applied to med school (secondaries were complete a little late-end of Aug/mid sept), applied to 15 schools, 2 IIs, 2 WLs.

Added clinical and non-clinical volunteering, retook MCAT (took time off to study and figured out how to be more efficient and less anxious while test taking). I have a good GPA (Science 3.9, AO: 3.9). First generation college student+some fairly good ECs. Didn't have any clinical volunteering the first time I applied, which I realized after coming to this forum was a big big mistake.

Applying in the next cycle. I'm a MN resident (don't have a good app for Duluth as my app is full of research and living in urban areas).

U of MN-TC
Netter
Hofstra
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Saint Louis

Does anyone have any advice about where to apply? I'm worried about the spread of my scores in terms of choosing which schools to apply. I've looked at MSAR, but it's still a bit hard to choose schools with my MCAT scores. Avg puts me around 30 for the MCAT, so should I apply as a 30 MCAT scorer?

Can you update us? Did you get in this past cycle?

Hi, Everyone!

U of MN-TC
Netter
Hofstra
Creighton
Wake Forest
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Saint Louis

I know you won't be excited about my multiple scores, but any of the experts have any advice, please? @Goro @gyngyn @GrapesofRath @LizzyM

Thank you so much in advance for the advice!

Can you update us? Did you get in this past cycle?

Yeah can you please update? I looked at your MDapps but I honestly didn't think it was possible to get into all those top schools that you said you got into as an ORM with 4MCAT scores. Having a tough time believing it a bit :confused: but if it's true, than congrats!