Multiple MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrownBear1515

Reaction score
Whats up, hope everyone is surviving the start to this long process lol. Just a quick question, how do DO schools view multiple MCATs? Took mine and did ok and am taking it again at the end of June. If I do worse by chance, will that affect me?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up, hope everyone is surviving the start to this long process lol. Just a quick question, how do DO schools view multiple MCATs? Took mine and did ok and am taking it again at the end of June. If I do worse by chance, will that affect me?
My school averages them. If your score goes down, that's not good. We've rejected people because of that.

Do NOT retake the exam until you are 100% ready for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Define ok?

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing worse on an MCAT is ALWAYS - 100% of the time - detrimental to your application.

Some places, you’ll be hurt visibly (schools that consider the most recent or average).

Other places, there will certainly be some consideration of the fact that you declined in performance (schools that consider the highest). Just because a school considers the highest, that doesn’t mean admissions members cannot see your lower score and individually have their opinions influenced by that score.

If you had a decent score to begin with, the retake was a very poor idea.

Like 505+ ok, or like >500 ok?
Do NOT score lower.

Will ADCOM ever comment in meetings favorably if someone jumps drastically? Like going from a 490 to a 512?

My school averages them. If your score goes down, that's not good. We've rejected people because of that.

Do NOT retake the exam until you are 100% ready for it.

I got a 501. Also if I do end up doing not as well, is it possible not to send my second score?

If you're submitting your application prior to receiving your second MCAT score at the end of July, I suppose you CAN decide to not send it in.. But don't you think this is lying? Moral dilemma?

I would advise to not retake the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently matching your target score. There really isn't that big of a difference in waiting and applying when you're ready.

Another scenario to think about: apply with your 501 and don't retake. Apply to schools that match your GPA and MCAT, you may be surprised that a 501 isn't awful.

With a 501, if your GPA and ECs are strong just apply wide to DO

Yes if you take it again and do worse then it will be a significant hindrance to your app. Only retake if you know you are going to do better (read: your practice scores are at least 505+)

Any sort of drop in score is a big negative
If you did worse than your "ok" score, then you've put yourself in a bad spot for acceptance.

Giving us actual numbers can give us a better idea of your position and advice to follow.

Edit - Just read that your score was a 501. That score paired with a 3.4+ GPA will get you an acceptance somewhere as far as DO schools go. Don't retake the MCAT, focus on your primary and cross fingers for multiple II's.