MUSC Iterviews (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul D.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview down there on November 8th. I was wondering, has anyone interviewed at MUSC? If so, how did the interview go?

I hope they're as serious as I am about going there! I'm flying out on the 7th from PA for the interview. I think I'll make a long weekend of it and check out the city. I've heard a lot of good things about Charleston and the dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

hey paul,

that's awesome that you have an interview w/ MUSC. i'm a junior at Furman University in Greenville, SC. i'd also like to eventually go to MUSC for dental school. so how did you decide on applyng there? what kind of grades and DAT did u have if you don't mind me asking? do you have any advice for applying there? i don't know much about it..i know they are pretty strict on accepting out of state apps.....so you must have some incredible grades. charelston is a sweet city, have fun down there and good luck w/ everything.

-ryan richard

I just got back from my interview at MUSC. Unfortunately while I was there a tropical storm came in so when we went to see the clinics there was only like one patient there. I liked the school ok but I don't think I liked it better than my state school and for the price difference I might just stay in Georgia. Charleston is pretty and seemed like a lot of fun. Everyone that I met in Charleston was very impressed that I had an interview at MUSC. Everyone seemed to think very highly of the school. The students there seemed really happy to be there and the staff was very nice. The professors that had lunch with us were great and I hope that I have some like them no matter where I go to school. They are improving their research program and so if you have interest in research it seems like a good place to be even though they are known for their clinical education. One drawback is that they are getting a new dental school in about 5 years so there isn't much being done on the current facilities as far as renovation. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ryan,

sorry for the tardiness on the response. MUSC is a state funded school so they do give preference to people in SC. i think the amount of students that they accept from out of state each year fluctuates but it's generally in the single digits. my dat was overall/sci/pa: 20/21/18 and my gpa is around a 3.9. so, my dat PA definitely didn't get me in, haha! who knows what they're looking for. good luck! keep pounding away at the books. if you have anymore questions feel free to drop me a line @ [email protected].

GTchick,

i was hoping you would see my post, haha! yes, i do have a few questions. so far, i've noticed that MUSC is VERY friendly. i don't want to put myself under the impression that this means an easy interview though. i have my first interview this thursday up at Buffalo, so i'm going to be new to this whole interview process other than from what i gathered from sources. MUSC is at the top of my list though. how did the interview go overall? any difficult/interesting questions? any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help,
Paul

Paul,

The interview is very laid back. There are three during the day but none of them are very long. I think the longest that I had was 30 minutes. The first guy that I interviewed with only knew my name and so he asked me to summarize my life in 5 minutes. Then we talked about our schools and their sports teams because he went to Auburn and so he is familiar with Georgia. He asked about my family and why I want to be a dentist and what I would do if I didn't get in. The second interview I had was very short and pretty much he just wanted to answer my questions. The last interviewer talked about research and asked me why I went to my school. I have had to answer that in EVERY interview I have been on. He also asked what average grades in upper level classes at my school were and I don't think he believed me when i told him. He wanted to stress that they accept the best of the best and so therefore people that are used to being at the top of their classes are not anymore and it is a shock to some people. Same thing I heard when I started at GA Tech but he just went on and on talking so it was pretty easy because I think he talked more than I did. Nobody asked me anything hard. Just the basic why do you want to be a dentist and what do you do at school type questions. Since the interviews are short if you have something really great to say try to say it early on because they are over before you know it. The whole day is laid back. Since there was a tropical storm my day might have been differnt because the school was kind of empty. Inbetween interviews everyone not being interviewed at that time would just hang out in the meeting room and everyone that was there was really nice.

~GTchick