MUSC, UNC, and Pitt-- how many letters on Dec 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

14years

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a SC resident and slightly-older mechanical engineer applying to twelve dental schools. I interviewed early with MUSC, UNC, and Pitt. I have heard nothing at all as of today, December 10, other than a couple of rejections from schools I never interviewed with.

This is especially crushing to me because my motivation to study dentistry and motivation to get out of engineering are two totally separate issues and double my emotional investment in this process. It has been a nightmare trying to complete a full science post-bac while working 70 hours per week in the middle of a recession with that blank pink slip dangling over my head. Now it all looks like a waste.

Could anyone comment on just how much of the class is filled by this point for MUSC, UNC, and Pitt? Is there likely to be a second round of any magnitude? Are the waitlists my best hope at this point? Or is it too late even for that?

Also, should I call these schools, or would that not be advisable?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Pitt fills about half of their seats on Dec 1 and has half in interviews pre Dec and half post Dec- intentionally. So you will still be considered for acceptance, although it has been mentioned that Pitt mostly looks at your personality after your invite and grades to lesser degree...
UNC- you are OOS for them? they are extremely tough for OOS and I believe they interview very few people post Dec and only instate...

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are 3 very competitive schools. As Kitkat said, even though you are a bordering state, you are still OOS for UNC and it has been said there are about 6 seats left (someone called and this was the information they received). I'm not sure about Pitt, but you are probably still in the running for MUSC. Give them a called and just see what the wait list is like. Tell them you interviewed early on, haven't heard back, and just wanted to see how the waitlist works. (Is it ranked, large, small).

Just talked to Rose, she said that people from the first half of interviews are still in the running for the seats in the second half, but you wouldn't be in the top priority. Also, the first half had 1300 applicants, the second half only had about 700.

Just talked to Rose, she said that people from the first half of interviews are still in the running for the seats in the second half, but you wouldn't be in the top priority. Also, the first half had 1300 applicants, the second half only had about 700.

do you know if the first half of the class is full already? i interviewed on nov. 23 and i'm still waiting to hear back...are they done handing out acceptances?? :(

I'm trying to remember where I read this, but I heard MUSC only sends out 20 or so acceptances on Dec 1st. Based on there only being 4 responses for MUSC on PreDents.com, I would like to believe a majority of the acceptances haven't been sent out. I hope things work out.

Thanks for all the good feedback, everyone. As far as stats, my science GPA is very good, but my DATs are mediocre. I did things the hard way, and my scores show it. The least of this was taking biochem in Summer I and deluding myself into thinking I was going to take an insanely hard course in 4 weeks and split my time with DAT review. Rather not post exact numbers. I won't get in anywhere based on my numbers, but I am gambling big time on significant research and professional/managerial experience. Now it seems that most admissions offices (as opposed to faculty interviewers) don't weight that much in the equation, if at all.

Nice online community here-- good luck to everyone.

do you know if the first half of the class is full already? i interviewed on nov. 23 and i'm still waiting to hear back...are they done handing out acceptances?? :(

Not sure on exact numbers, but it's possible that they gave out enough seats to fill half of the class, but remember, MANY people who get accepted on Dec 1 are accepted to more than one school, so they'll be a number of people who turn down their seats. If you interviewed before Dec 1st and you haven't heard back, it's not over yet, just be patient, and see what happens. Good luck!