Music and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiknerd_runnerd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am going into my 3rd year of college at a large state school. I have been thinking a lot lately about the best way for me to approach my pre-med education. I started off at USC in California as a neuroscience major and music minor, but I transferred to be closer to home. I now am a double degree student in neuroscience (BA) and piano performance (BM). I've been thinking of only being a piano performance major, however, and fulfilling my pre-med requirements as well.

In terms of my academic performance, I have a 3.9 GPA. I have taken the following courses pertaining to med school admission with the following grades:

Calculus based physics 1: A-
Calculus based physics 2: A
Chemistry 1 (Honors): A-
Chemistry 1 Lab (Honors): A
Chemistry 2: A
Chemistry 2 Lab: A
Biology 1: A
Biology 1 Lab: A
Genetics/Biology 2: B
Genetics/Biology Lab: A
Calculus II: A

I have two W's on my transcript. One is from physics 2. I originally planned to take physics 2 over the summer, but I realized that the course was moving way too fast for me. It was a 5 week summer course and I had passed the drop deadline when I realized that I wasn't going to be able to retain the information well, and that I wouldn't be able to learn the material deeply.

I am also involved in research at my school. I had a fellowship this year to work in a neuroscience lab.

What is lacking for me is volunteer work in a clinical setting and leadership positions.

I just wanted to ask you all who may already be in medical school your opinion on my academic standing right now...would I be a competitive applicant? Would it be an unwise idea to only continue on as a music major? I would appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I am going into my 3rd year of college at a large state school. I have been thinking a lot lately about the best way for me to approach my pre-med education. I started off at USC in California as a neuroscience major and music minor, but I transferred to be closer to home. I now am a double degree student in neuroscience (BA) and piano performance (BM). I've been thinking of only being a piano performance major, however, and fulfilling my pre-med requirements as well.

In terms of my academic performance, I have a 3.9 GPA. I have taken the following courses pertaining to med school admission with the following grades:

Calculus based physics 1: A-
Calculus based physics 2: A
Chemistry 1 (Honors): A-
Chemistry 1 Lab (Honors): A
Chemistry 2: A
Chemistry 2 Lab: A
Biology 1: A
Biology 1 Lab: A
Genetics/Biology 2: B
Genetics/Biology Lab: A
Calculus II: A

I have two W's on my transcript. One is from physics 2. I originally planned to take physics 2 over the summer, but I realized that the course was moving way too fast for me. It was a 5 week summer course and I had passed the drop deadline when I realized that I wasn't going to be able to retain the information well, and that I wouldn't be able to learn the material deeply.

I am also involved in research at my school. I had a fellowship this year to work in a neuroscience lab.

What is lacking for me is volunteer work in a clinical setting and leadership positions.

I just wanted to ask you all who may already be in medical school your opinion on my academic standing right now...would I be a competitive applicant? Would it be an unwise idea to only continue on as a music major? I would appreciate any feedback!

I would stick with just the BM if that's truly what you want to do should medicine not pan out. I too was a music major, but added a psych major and neuroscience minor so I had something to fall back on (grad school - a psych degree is as worthless as a music degree) had I not been able to get into med or PA school.

You're highly competitive.

I just wanted to ask you all who may already be in medical school your opinion on my academic standing right now...would I be a competitive applicant?

You're fine as a music major. Do what you love and love what you do. I have several students who were music majors. They're doing quite well. If you can take 1-2 more bio classes, that's fine too. I suggest Biostats, Cell Bio, Molecular Bio or Biochem.

Would it be an unwise idea to only continue on as a music major?

Reactions: 1 user
Your grades look fine. If you don't want to do the BA in Neuroscience, then drop it. A degree in music will not keep you from getting into medical school (we had a Studio Art and Drama majors in my class).

Reactions: 1 user