Must finish ALL pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was curious if every pre-req had to be met before applying?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!
You must finish it before start if dental school. You can apply without finishing them.

okay.. because I'm just confused because I have taken Ochem 1/2 lecture but not the labs, and I know most schools require the labs but I plan on taking them next fall/spring. But i plan on applying this june. IM STRESSING

Members don't see this ad :)
okay.. because I'm just confused because I have taken Ochem 1/2 lecture but not the labs, and I know most schools require the labs but I plan on taking them next fall/spring. But i plan on applying this june. IM STRESSING
At the time I applied I had taken one biology class. It doesn't matter if you aren't done with your pre-reqs before applying.

At the time I applied I had taken one biology class. It doesn't matter if you aren't done with your pre-reqs before applying.
Not trying to hijack, but I have a question for you related to your comment. The ONLY school I can feasibly attend is A&M (kids, husband working, support system, etc. etc.). So I’ve been trying to make myself the perfect A&M applicant on paper. Looking to apply next year, haven’t taken the DAT yet. I spoke with Ms. Pledger and she mentioned that I might not be as competitive as all of the bio majors since I havent done several upper level bios. She has been incredibly helpful, but that got me scared. Did A&M make any issue of it when you interviewed?

FWIW, thus far I have a 4.0 Post-bacc with Bio 1&2, chem 1&2, orgo 1&2, microbio, intro histo, stats, and I’m taking biochem in the spring. I’m 34 (ugh), a URM, and I have two munchkins. Thanks in advance!

Not trying to hijack, but I have a question for you related to your comment. The ONLY school I can feasibly attend is A&M (kids, husband working, support system, etc. etc.). So I’ve been trying to make myself the perfect A&M applicant on paper. Looking to apply next year, haven’t taken the DAT yet. I spoke with Ms. Pledger and she mentioned that I might not be as competitive as all of the bio majors since I havent done several upper level bios. She has been incredibly helpful, but that got me scared. Did A&M make any issue of it when you interviewed?

FWIW, thus far I have a 4.0 Post-bacc with Bio 1&2, chem 1&2, orgo 1&2, microbio, intro histo, stats, and I’m taking biochem in the spring. I’m 34 (ugh), a URM, and I have two munchkins. Thanks in advance!

Have you taken the DAT? I don’t think any school would care as long as your Bio/TS score is great.

Have you taken the DAT? I don’t think any school would care as long as your Bio/TS score is great.
I haven't. I agree with what you're saying about the DAT. However, I was told by the school (the only one I can apply to) that they want to see upper bios and that I would not be as competitive as the bio majors... However, since @stoopidmonkeycatdog got in without them, I was wondering if they gave him any heartache when he was applying/interviewing.

Thank you!

It depends on the school. Some schools do require that you have completed all of your pre-reqs at the time of applying.

Stony Brook is one of those, I'm not sure of others but it is not the majority of schools.

Sorry for the SUPER late response. I had the bare minimum biology credits... Like BARE minimum credits and I got in! I had only taken one actual bio class at the time of my application and it didn't affect me! Don't stress over it!!!

Also we have 6 classmates over 30, so don't stress about that either!

I haven't. I agree with what you're saying about the DAT. However, I was told by the school (the only one I can apply to) that they want to see upper bios and that I would not be as competitive as the bio majors... However, since @stoopidmonkeycatdog got in without them, I was wondering if they gave him any heartache when he was applying/interviewing.

I don't log in that much anymore, so if you have any questions, PM me so I get a notification!!

Sorry for the SUPER late response. I had the bare minimum biology credits... Like BARE minimum credits and I got in! I had only taken one actual bio class at the time of my application and it didn't affect me! Don't stress over it!!!

Also we have 6 classmates over 30, so don't stress about that either!

Thank you so much. It's crazy that I was told something totally contradictory to that. I really appreciate that.

Thank you so much. It's crazy that I was told something totally contradictory to that. I really appreciate that.
You are finally reading a post that's music to your ears. It is likely that the staff you talked to knows a heck of a lot more about admissions than the entire SDN pre dent community.

You are finally reading a post that's music to your ears. It is likely that the staff you talked to knows a heck of a lot more about admissions than the entire SDN pre dent community.

Obviously you are probably correct since you know way more than me on the admissions process.

That being said when I was applying I also called about 5 dental schools and asked them on their opinions regarding my biology courses, and I received positive feedback from all of them.

I had a pre-dent advisor who was convinced no school would interview me (young + lack of upper bios), which is what led me to contact the schools.

I would definitely not wait an extra year to get more extra bios if you have already met the requirements, imo.

Obviously you are probably correct since you know way more than me on the admissions process.
That being said when I was applying I also called about 5 dental schools and asked them on their opinions regarding my biology courses, and I received positive feedback from all of them.
I had a pre-dent advisor who was convinced no school would interview me (young + lack of upper bios), which is what led me to contact the schools.
I would definitely not wait an extra year to get more extra bios if you have already met the requirements, imo.
You might want to re read the sentence in the OP's post.

You might want to re read the sentence in the OP's post.

Yes, and when i was asking i spoke to Dr. Miller, the Adcom member who interviews almost every single student at the school and has a big part in deciding whether or not you are accepted, more than Ms. Pledger.

Also, I have no interest in engaging in a back and forth with you. I simply answered a question directed towards me with my own experiences. At no point did i claim i knew everything about the admissions process, or that my experiences are the norm for everyone. That being said, in this specific circumstance, our situations are very similar, and i believed my experiences could benefit and encourage the poster.