Must read books for MSK/Anatomy as a PM&R Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessme7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Current PM&R resident--I have been searching the forums for an updated guide to what some good books/resources are to better understand MSK and accompanying anatomy. Would greatly appreciate some suggestions/advice, thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Current PM&R resident--I have been searching the forums for an updated guide to what some good books/resources are to better understand MSK and accompanying anatomy. Would greatly appreciate some suggestions/advice, thanks in advance!

Hi. I'm not a resident yet, but hope to be soon. I've been using these books. I've seen some of the residents on my rotation with them too.

Amazon product

Amazon product

Hey everyone,

Honestly the EMG books are great. Katirgi and Preston & Shapiro. You really have to know the anatomy of the musculature and nerves to be good at it.

• Peripheral joint biomechanics: Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system - Neumann (amazing for the distal extremities especially), Joint Structure and Function - Levangie (best for shoulders and knees)
  • Lumbar spine biomechanics/rehab: Low Back Disorders - McGill, Rehabilitation of the Spine -Liebenson
    • Anxious to start reading Bogduk's book too, but I promised myself I would finish Shumway-Cook's Motor Control textbook first
  • EMG's: Agree with Bear2020 above on Preston and Shapiro - amazing book. I have read it all the way through almost twice. Not on an EMG rotation right now; so not currently focusing on them though.