Must-Take Classes to Prep for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pearl E. White

D3 at LECOM
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new to SDN and obviously I want to be as prepared as possible for the DAT. I don't currently have a timeline for when I'm going to take it; however, I want to think about and plan for the classes that have helped you all succeed. Besides the basics, Gen Chem 1/2 and Orgo 1/2, Calculus, and most people have said Bio (I took Zoo, I'm pretty sure those are about the same) what else? Is there anything else that is beneficial or should I just hammer home the basics and go over study materials? :thinking:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, I will definitely try to squeeze those in before taking my DAT. I'm getting way ahead of myself. I'm wanting to start DAT practice now and I'm not even close to taking the exam... Thanks for the advice.

It would be an uphill battle studying the bio section without having taken anat/physio but it's not impossible. I took the test without any of those classes. If you have the schedule to squeeze in those classes then I highly recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you do? If you don't mind my asking...the problem is I'm a BioChem major and a lot of the extra biology classes will be hard to fit in until after junior year when I'm pretty much in the clear schedule-wise. I'm a quick learner and chemistry is not hard at all to me, but I feel like the people who posted their awesome breakdowns had more biology than me.

Bio =/= zoo, what would make you think this? Take your intro bio classes at least. Then A&P is very helpful. Some not necessary but helpful classes could be microbio and genetics.

I thought the two courses would be equivalent because my advisor said they were. However, he was a sociology major so maybe he's not the best person to tell me... :(

If you use the right resources to prepare for the DAT, there aren't really any "necessary" classes... but a science background can certainly help.

I wouldn't start studying for the DAT too far in advance. You'll just forget things. I think that ~3 months of intense studying is the best plan of attack. The only thing that would be beneficial to study any earlier in advance is the PAT section.

I took the DAT without anatomy/physiology and was fine. In fact, I took the DAT after my sophomore year, so I had taken few upper-level bios. I just learned all of the material in Cliff's AP Bio and Barron's AP Bio. However, I agree this A&P would have been very helpful. Genetics was helpful, too. Plant A&P could be helpful.

Heck, they're all helpful. Like I said, though, just learn the stuff in Cliff's AP Bio and Barron's AP Bio and you should be fine.

Check the ultimate breakdown collection link in my signature if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How did you do? If you don't mind my asking...the problem is I'm a BioChem major and a lot of the extra biology classes will be hard to fit in until after junior year when I'm pretty much in the clear schedule-wise. I'm a quick learner and chemistry is not hard at all to me, but I feel like the people who posted their awesome breakdowns had more biology than me.
I got a 25 in bio. Like glimmer said, you don't NEED to take any classes as long as you thoroughly study the right prep materials.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, great job dentalstudent! And thank you for the help. I'm pretty good at eliminating answers down to a few and making an educated guess. Sometimes that's all you need. Thanks again! :)

Wow, great job dentalstudent! And thank you for the help. I'm pretty good at eliminating answers down to a few and making an educated guess. Sometimes that's all you need. Thanks again! :)

Plenty of people do really well on the bio even though they haven't taken many upper-level courses. With hard work and the right study tools, it is totally doable. :)

Reactions: 1 user