MWU-AZ vs. NYU - general dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPreDent7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone comment pros/cons of these programs? Where would you go and with what reasoning! I would be happy at either of these locations, but the cost of living in NYC is obviously extremely high (if the program is worth it, I'll make that sacrifice). I'm also not looking to specialize as of now!

Members don't see this ad.

NYU has the name and is established. However it will end up being around 80k more than MWU-AZ. If you're going into general dentistry, MWU-AZ is a good option as that is their focus.

i dont think dental school makes much difference if youre not going to specialize. I guess just look at the population you want to serve. example LECOM has a lot of geriatric

i dont think dental school makes much difference if youre not going to specialize. I guess just look at the population you want to serve. example LECOM has a lot of geriatric

As Arizona and Florida are the retirement capitals of the US, schools in both states have access to large pools of geriatric patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone comment pros/cons of these programs? Where would you go and with what reasoning! I would be happy at either of these locations, but the cost of living in NYC is obviously extremely high (if the program is worth it, I'll make that sacrifice). I'm also not looking to specialize as of now!

NYU has a lot of students, around 360 I believe. Chair time is an issue there as I understand it. As I am not a student there, I can only tell you what I have heard, so keep that in mind. Maybe an NYU student can respond.

At MWU we have a low student:faculty ratio of about 4.7:1 in the pre-clinic. In the clinic, D3s are paired with D4s and share an operatory. There are as many operators as there are student pairs. Students assist each other in the clinic, and having D3s with D4s allows for mentorship from older to younger partner. There is one CCC and 2 CCFs for every suite. Each suite contains 14 operatories and typically 28 students. Obviously the clinical student:faculty ratio is not as favorable as the pre-clinic, but my understanding is that it works pretty well on the clinical side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As Arizona and Florida are the retirement capitals of the US, schools in both states have access to large pools of geriatric patients.
Thanks for your response! Do you get exposed to a variety of patients or is it mostly all geriatric ?

Both seem like great programs and MWU-AZ would be more affordable, but NYU would be closer to family for me and it would be my only chance to live in such an exciting place! I'm a little hesitant to go to a newer school that doesn't have the name behind it, when I plan to work on the opposite side of the country (patients and employers may not know much about Midwestern). I know NYU gets a lot of hate on these forums but I could see myself fitting into both programs and class cultures so it'll be a difficult decision

Both seem like great programs and MWU-AZ would be more affordable, but NYU would be closer to family for me and it would be my only chance to live in such an exciting place! I'm a little hesitant to go to a newer school that doesn't have the name behind it, when I plan to work on the opposite side of the country (patients and employers may not know much about Midwestern). I know NYU gets a lot of hate on these forums but I could see myself fitting into both programs and class cultures so it'll be a difficult decision
I don’t think the name matters. As long as you have your license you can start working. The money you’ll make for the first few years really depends on your clinical training foundation at school. So pick the one that would give you the best clinical training.

Why limit yourself to these two schools? There are plenty of traditional states schools available. School name has nothing to do with your credibility or hire-ability after graduation. The only thing that a potential lender/bank is going to look at is your school and personal debt. They could care less which school has a known name. That's a fact.

Opposite side of the country comment? I went to ASU undergad .... then Univ. of Nebraska Dental .... then Montefiore Med Ctr for ortho. How's that for diversity in locations. I enjoyed the diversity and feel empowered that I was able to meet different people from different areas.

If I was an employer looking to hire an associate. I would be biased towards the dentists that went to a traditional dental school for 2 reasons. One is that they obviously had the credentials to compete with everyone else looking to get into a traditional, inexpensive state dental school. Two is that they would have less school debt which equates to less stress in the office and more future ability to buy my practice ...if I was ready to retire/sell.

Why limit yourself to these two schools? There are plenty of traditional states schools available. School name has nothing to do with your credibility or hire-ability after graduation. The only thing that a potential lender/bank is going to look at is your school and personal debt. They could care less which school has a known name. That's a fact.

Opposite side of the country comment? I went to ASU undergad .... then Univ. of Nebraska Dental .... then Montefiore Med Ctr for ortho. How's that for diversity in locations. I enjoyed the diversity and feel empowered that I was able to meet different people from different areas.

If I was an employer looking to hire an associate. I would be biased towards the dentists that went to a traditional dental school for 2 reasons. One is that they obviously had the credentials to compete with everyone else looking to get into a traditional, inexpensive state dental school. Two is that they would have less school debt which equates to less stress in the office and more future ability to buy my practice ...if I was ready to retire/sell.
I think it depends. Ppl who have military scholarships or who have rich parents to pay off everything are free of debt. They have money to buy dental offices.

Not everyone has a state school as an option. Also, people choose the school they will go to based on a wide variety of criteria. My wife's career prospects played into the location we decided upon for school. Also, Bank of America seems to have no problem lending to dental school graduates, no matter their debt load.