MWU-CPG c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone from 2/15 interview hear anything back?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me advice on when I should start apartment hunting?

I wanted to fly over there during spring break (March 22ish) but I'm afraid that that would be too early to hold an apartment?

I'm not really sure how it all works, if a landlord would hold a spot for that long (2months).

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone from 2/15 interview hear anything back?

I interviewed the 15th, and I found out last night that I'm accepted! :)

Also, for those of you asking about apartments, my apartment complex reserved mine for 2 months in advance-- They can tell in advance when people have told them that they are not renewing the lease, so they will save it for you, based on when the current residents are moving out!

Also, for those of you asking about apartments, my apartment complex reserved mine for 2 months in advance-- They can tell in advance when people have told them that they are not renewing the lease, so they will save it for you, based on when the current residents are moving out!

good to know, thanks !

If you don't mind my asking, what were ur stats? Feel free to PM me if you don't wanna post on the forum. Thanks and CONGRATS!!

Congrats!!!

Did your portal change or did you get an email?

Thanks! I had low-ish GPA, but a 94 PCAT, 7 years of pharmacy experience, and a stellar interview. I found out by the portal change, which was a letter of matriculation and a deadline for my deposit :)

Hey everyone! Congratulations to all the recent acceptances! :) I have a quick question for current students...do you guys know of any acceptable healthcare plan that are cheaper than the one offered by the school?

Shortly after I completed my apps in October I received a letter saying my application will be placed on hold. I figured this meant I was not interview worthy. However, I am quite surprised (but very happy!) I received an interview offer for later this month. Definitely one of my top choices, if not THE top choice.

I know some of you are from the SoCal area so did you guys fly or drive? I found airfare for less than $150 which is not that bad. However, the drive is only 5-6 hours. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

This may be too late, but I drove. I found it easier and cheaper. The drive is not bad =) I found it harder to figure out shuttle and airport travel when going to other schools.

If you have the accepted student checklist with outstanding items...you got in right? There was no official congratulations or "you've been accepted" email... and it says deposit is due on March 1 so I guess I got in? Anyone else have a similar experience?

If you have the accepted student checklist with outstanding items...you got in right? There was no official congratulations or "you've been accepted" email... and it says deposit is due on March 1 so I guess I got in? Anyone else have a similar experience?

It means you are accepted. Same thing happened for my friend.
Can I ask when your interview date was?
Congrats!

Thanks! Yea, i had an interview on 2/18 so they were really quick! But the thing is, their deposit is due on March 1, and its $1000!! So it's tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Yea, i had an interview on 2/18 so they were really quick! But the thing is, their deposit is due on March 1, and its $1000!! So it's tough.

If their deposit is due March 1st, then will there be interviews in March?

I think it's supposed to be due 2-3 weeks after you get in so I'm kinda confused why mine is so soon. So yea I think there are march interviews. Hang in there !!:)

Is there anyone that got accepted after 1-2 weeks after the interview? and not after a day or two...because I'm starting to think that I'm either going to be waitlisted or rejected. :laugh:

Is there anyone that got accepted after 1-2 weeks after the interview? and not after a day or two...because I'm starting to think that I'm either going to be waitlisted or rejected. :laugh:

I feel the same way!! Did anyone else from the Feb 15th interview hear anything??

I was accepted about 2 weeks after my interview. I hadn't checked the portal for a couple days and found out when they called me.

I will be giving up my spot this upcoming week, so this will help someone else out I am sure. Got into another school which was my top choice.

Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

I will be giving up my spot this upcoming week, so this will help someone else out I am sure. Got into another school which was my top choice.

Good luck to everyone! :thumbup:

Same here. Good luck.

To anyone that had to fly in to interview, what was your main source of transportation?

Current students,

can someone give me a small breakdown of what a typical school day schedule is like?

huytard82, the school day is dependent on quarter and on course load. I can only speak for first year. There is almost always an hour for lunch from 12-1 where no classes are scheduled, but many organization meetings are scheduled during this time. (The exception is when you have a specific class in either Winter or Spring, that hour may be considered travel time to get to campus for afternoon classes; the other exception is if you get a specific lab time for pharmaceutics, then you have a half hour lunch from 11-11:30 on Wednesdays.)

There are blocks of time on two different days set aside for exams. For Spring quarter, we have Monday & Friday mornings, but it varies each quarter. Class usually begins directly afterwards. I can only think of one time off hand the class has had to be on campus prior to an 8:00am start (class or test) and classes are usually over between 3 & 5pm depending on the day.

After that, it's time to hit the books - unless you're one of those gifted people who have a photographic memory & get everything the first time it's taught, you will figure out how you need to study. Some people study in the morning before class, although that sounds like death to me. ;) Unsurprisingly, the most demanding part of the schedule is outside the classroom, in keeping yourself on track for the accelerated program and the frequent exams that come with the territory. Everyone figures out their own method.

Also, check your PMs. :)

I'm pulling my acceptance from the school. Good luck to whoever is up next off the waiting list.

Not afraid to say, I got a letter last Friday (2/22) saying that I was waitlisted. But I can understand~ hah~ Actually, I have some prereqs outstanding for this school, so I'd probably deny even if I was accepted, since I have been already accepted into some other schools.

I interviewed on 2/22, and saw that I was accepted on 2/26. Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation!

Does anyone know if its typical for schools to give you your financial aid information and letter after you submit the deposit? Or is that just a Midwestern thing? I know for undergrad most schools use financial as a sort of "sales pitch" to get you to pick their school and was wondering if it is the same for pharm schools. Thanks!

What time does class usually begin? I will have to commute from Chandler to Glendale, which is about 1hr give or take.

huytard82, the school day is dependent on quarter and on course load. I can only speak for first year. There is almost always an hour for lunch from 12-1 where no classes are scheduled, but many organization meetings are scheduled during this time. (The exception is when you have a specific class in either Winter or Spring, that hour may be considered travel time to get to campus for afternoon classes; the other exception is if you get a specific lab time for pharmaceutics, then you have a half hour lunch from 11-11:30 on Wednesdays.)

There are blocks of time on two different days set aside for exams. For Spring quarter, we have Monday & Friday mornings, but it varies each quarter. Class usually begins directly afterwards. I can only think of one time off hand the class has had to be on campus prior to an 8:00am start (class or test) and classes are usually over between 3 & 5pm depending on the day.

After that, it's time to hit the books - unless you're one of those gifted people who have a photographic memory & get everything the first time it's taught, you will figure out how you need to study. Some people study in the morning before class, although that sounds like death to me. ;) Unsurprisingly, the most demanding part of the schedule is outside the classroom, in keeping yourself on track for the accelerated program and the frequent exams that come with the territory. Everyone figures out their own method.

Also, check your PMs. :)

How long is the whole interview process? Is it possible to be back at the hotel by 1 pm?

Does anyone know if its typical for schools to give you your financial aid information and letter after you submit the deposit? Or is that just a Midwestern thing? I know for undergrad most schools use financial as a sort of "sales pitch" to get you to pick their school and was wondering if it is the same for pharm schools. Thanks!

I am not sure, as I only applied to MWU, and that's what happened to me. Maybe some of the other applicants who were accepted elsewhere can let you know? I can try to answer questions about financial specifics, but I have last year's info since they haven't given out this year's yet. I have heard that you don't really get grants / scholarships for professional school, so unless you're hearing that from a specific school, I wouldn't count on it.

What time does class usually begin? I will have to commute from Chandler to Glendale, which is about 1hr give or take.

A couple of my classmates are still making that commute (they carpool & have families out that way), but several others have moved closer to campus. In winter & spring quarter, there are at least 2 days a week we have to be there at 8. Also, most test days you have to be there at 8 (well, a little before).

How long is the whole interview process? Is it possible to be back at the hotel by 1 pm?

Unless they added something to the program, you'll be done by about 11:30-12 & you can go eat lunch in the cafeteria. If you are in a hurry, you can leave when the program's done.

I interviewed on 2/15, was wait-listed, and then found out today I was accepted! =) Can't wait to meet everyone at orientation!

Any P-1 students I can talk to? I really need some opinions. Would appreciate it if you pm me. Please please. Thank you.

Interviewed on 02/18, just got accepted! :D

Midwestern University CCP - Accepted
Pacific University of Oregon - Accepted
Campbell University - Accepted

Decided to go to Midwestern University CCP :)

Does Midwestern have a market / student store on campus? I won't be having a car for the first few quarters and am flying in to AZ which means I won't be able to bring big bottles of water, shampoo, body wash, and other toiletries. Would I have to go to a nearby CVS or something?

Does Midwestern have a market / student store on campus? I won't be having a car for the first few quarters and am flying in to AZ which means I won't be able to bring big bottles of water, shampoo, body wash, and other toiletries. Would I have to go to a nearby CVS or something?

Not sure, but Im sure you can meet up with someone who has a car to go shopping or what not. the nearest store from what i remember is pretty far down the road to walk or anything.

Has anyone applied for on-campus housing? Is that the way to go, or is offcampus cheaper? =)

current students? what's the best options for housing and is on campus housing big enough for the price, etc.

Has anyone applied for on-campus housing? Is that the way to go, or is offcampus cheaper? =)

current students? what's the best options for housing and is on campus housing big enough for the price, etc.

I've applied to on-campus housing. I think off-campus is cheaper but I'm not from the area so its easier for me to just do on-campus housing.
I'm not a current student (I start this summer :)) but I've seen the housing and I definitely think it's big enough for the price. But then again, I'm from California and housing is expensive over here. :(

Also I have some questions for current students:
- How does the difficulty of pharmacy school compare to undergrad? (And if you don't mind me asking, what undergrad did you go to?)
- How many hours do you work a week?
- Are books necessary?

Thanks! I'm also from Cali. Hmm well i guess i can always change my mind later or the next year if i find it cheaper. Thanks again and maybe ill see you this summer! (I'm waiting on USC)

Anyone here apply to UC Denver? I'm having difficulty choosing between MWU Glendale and UC Denver. I like both for different reasons. Such a tough decision :( please help.. Any input is appreciated.

I've applied to on-campus housing. I think off-campus is cheaper but I'm not from the area so its easier for me to just do on-campus housing.
I'm not a current student (I start this summer :)) but I've seen the housing and I definitely think it's big enough for the price. But then again, I'm from California and housing is expensive over here. :(

Also I have some questions for current students:
- How does the difficulty of pharmacy school compare to undergrad? (And if you don't mind me asking, what undergrad did you go to?)
- How many hours do you work a week?
- Are books necessary?

Hey there,
The questions you ask could be completely different depending on what undergrad you went to. I went to UCSD (also a quarter system school), and for me, pharmacy school is easier than undergrad. Those who did the semester system would say that pharmacy school is more difficult. I work anywhere between 12 and 20 a week, though if I have a tough final schedule, I'd just take a week off. Pharmacy managers are very flexible and I definitely think I work a lot more than others in my class. Not all books are necessary, but some are (ie DiPiro might be very useful)...just talk to your upperclassmen and they should fill you in depending on the classes you have.

I'd definitely suggest off-campus housing, but that's just me. It's cheaper, and you can live right across the street and it would take just about the same amount of time to get to your class as it would if you were on campus. Plus...when I need a break and want to be in the comforts of my own home, I prefer it not to be in school. Once again this is totally personal preference.

Hope that helps!
-P2

Hi everyone, is anyone interviewing here tomorrow march 18th???

Hi I had a question for those of you who are waitlisted, or recently got off the waitlist. How did they notify you of your waitlist status, and how long did it take them to tell you? Thanks!

Hi I had a question for those of you who are waitlisted, or recently got off the waitlist. How did they notify you of your waitlist status, and how long did it take them to tell you? Thanks!

I received a letter via snail mail about a week after my interview that informed me of my waitlist status.